Ugochukwu (Ugo) Ihemelu

I need to have information on this player. I understand he's a Nigerian-American-Canadian now playing for Colorado Rapids. I also know that he was called up once to play for Canada. However, his Canadian citizenship is now under question as a result that he has already played for the United States on January 29, 2006, against Norway. Is there a possibility that this guy may NOT be able to play for Canada anymore on account of his citizenship??? Is there any way that the CSA could sign him up for our nats???

From my understanding, that game is not in question. It is the new FIFA rule about 5 years residency after your 18th birthday. The rule is not clear about players such as Ihemelu who has lived in Canada 5 years before his 18th birthday. My thoughts are that he will eventually be allowed to play for Canada once FIFA gets things sorted out.

This isn't all that hard to understand folks ...

1) Since when does a person's career affect his citizenship? Save for good ol' Conrad down in the bucket, for the most part once you're Canadian you're always Canadian. Nsaliwa over in Greece is a different story.

2) For the millionth time, friendlies don't cap-tie players. Games that cap-tie a player include ...

- WCQ Qualifiers and WC matches

- Confederation Championship matches (not sure about the qualifiers to get to that point ... e.g. the Caribbean tournament)

- Olympics and Olympic Qualifiers

- U-20 Finals and Qualifiers

Ugo hasn't played in one of those 'official' games for Nigeria or the US, so as long as the lad's Canadian then he's good to go for us.

I have seen this guy play and am not overly impressed. Anytime you can find solid replacements is never a bad thing but if we are concerned with this as being a future option, we have problems as a national team. Are we not deep enough in this position that we can just laugh at this situation as being a similar Nsawila case?

just watched tfc vs. Colorado. He had some trouble with Gala at the end. On the opposite end of the pitch Attakora-Gyan looked pretty good at full back and I would rather see him called ahead of Ihemelu if we ever needed emergency cover

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Whatever happened to Luis_Rancagua? Blast from the past.

I figure he is keeping busy collecting a list of potential CMNT hopefuls to cap tie ; )

There's quite a few long time posters MIA now adays (sigma, mimglow, Winnipeg fury, massive attack, krammerhead etc etc)

Edited by hamiltonfan

I think Sigma became "Sam," no? Massive Attack is also here as... the name escapes me, search a Whitecaps Hate Canada thread. I miss Krammerhead, who is still active on twitter from time to time. What's Current Champ up to? Hopefully he didn't do time for that incident vs. Guatemala. :)

Current Champ - from Calgary? correct? Another beauty indeed!

I think Sigma became "Sam," no? Massive Attack is also here as... the name escapes me, search a Whitecaps Hate Canada thread. I miss Krammerhead, who is still active on twitter from time to time. What's Current Champ up to? Hopefully he didn't do time for that incident vs. Guatemala. :)

Sigma and Sam are different people. Though I feel like they would get along quite well.

I think I saw Mimglow at one of the qualifiers, but I could be wrong.

And yes Current Champ is from Calgary and with everyone else listed I thought "I miss that guy, I hope they're doing well." With Champ I thought: "Jesus, I hope he's still alive."

cheers,

matthew

• 5 years later...
On 1/22/2014 at 5:35 PM, matthew said:

And yes Current Champ is from Calgary and with everyone else listed I thought "I miss that guy, I hope they're doing well." With Champ I thought: "Jesus, I hope he's still alive."

cheers,

matthew

Unfortunately, he's not.