Anyone up for a trip to Mexico

I am moving to England shortly after the Jamaica game, and am returning specifically for the Honduras match so that is going to hit the travel budget hard for sure.

I was seriously considering a trip down for at least one of the central american dates before my decision to pack-up for the UK. Was leaning to Jamaica or Honduras over Mexico, due to some of the un-rest in that area of Mexico.

Would be the experience supporters' of a lifetime for sure. Cheering for Canada under those condition would be awesome.

I know casual fans who were in Honduras during our last go at qualifying, and conicidentally showed up for the match. Their report was that obviously it was an intense situation at the match, but they felt that they were able to openly support Canada and enjoyed themselves.

Should we qualify for the HEX, I promise to join some of you on an excursion to the deep south. Let us pray.

I am moving to England shortly after the Jamaica game, and am returning specifically for the Honduras match so that is going to hit the travel budget hard for sure.

I was seriously considering a trip down for at least one of the central american dates before my decision to pack-up for the UK. Was leaning to Jamaica or Honduras over Mexico, due to some of the un-rest in that area of Mexico.

Would be the experience supporters' of a lifetime for sure. Cheering for Canada under those condition would be awesome.

I know casual fans who were in Honduras during our last go at qualifying, and conicidentally showed up for the match. Their report was that obviously it was an intense situation at the match, but they felt that they were able to openly support Canada and enjoyed themselves.

Should we qualify for the HEX, I promise to join some of you on an excursion to the deep south. Let us pray.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

The matter of getting from a major airport to Tuxtla Guitierrez might be tough though.

From MEX it's pretty straightforward:

1. Mexicana and Aeromexico flights - multiple flights each day, still plenty of availability. $234 round trip (which is about $60 more than I remember from a few weeks ago).

2. If you're visiting Mexico City, take the luxury bus (think first-class international flight quality). It's 11 hours (but you'll sleep for eight of it) and costs about $100 each way...about the same as a comfortable hotel in T.G. after the game.

The challenge is finding an inexpensive flight from a resort destination. Cheaper to fly from Toronto ($680 r/t) than from some tourist resorts.

And to answer the original question, I'm ready to book flights if I can find out who's organizing CSA tickets.... Winnipeg Fury, if you're out there, if things settle down at the CSA this week, could you find out who might assist? E-mail has gone unanswered....

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

CanadianTraveller try John Billingsley at jb@soccercan.ca

Zach had priced out Vancouver to Montreal to Mexico City to Tuxtla Guitierrez back to Vancouver for approx$1350

Thanks for the reference.

Toronto-MEX-YVR is $535 (US Airways). Montreal is another $150 and a lengthy layover on the flight out...so I'm interested in the V's bus back to Toronto after the game. Add $230 to fly in-and-out of TGZ.

E-mail address is in profile if Zach wants to chat. So far it's slim pickings; hopefully John can refer us to a travel agent putting together a fan tour.

I have already mentioned this in two other threads here so I will be quick and not do it again.

My sister works for Sunwing. They are full-service with new planes. According to their website, they fly to NINE (9!) spots in Mexico.

Their website has a "clearance" section, and starting every Tuesday at 3PM is their "Wild Wednesday" specials that are sometimes really good. If there are no sales for Mexico for that time, then my sister can register people for a special "friends and family" version of the Sunwing website where you can book flights at a discount (and my sis would get a small commission). You would have to check-out the website to see which option would be best for you.

Good luck to everyone who is crazy enough to try this.

Just so you guys know, I have had brief discussions with the CSA regarding an away section. The CSA can reserve 10% of the away stadium for Canadian fans.

Now obviously this is something that can not be thrown together over night.

After Canada officially progresses to the Hex, I think it's something that we will seriously look at. Certain countries will be easier and more desirable, so we will have to wait to see how things shape up.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Thanks for all the hard work WF, I'll buy you a drink at a match abroad. Right now I'm eying the Jamaica Match. If I can get a cheap (<$1k * 2) all inclusive for that week I'm so there.

Considered a cruise? Although w/ spending on-board the ship you might end up @ $1250 or more.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Just so you guys know, I have had brief discussions with the CSA regarding an away section. The CSA can reserve 10% of the away stadium for Canadian fans.

Thanks...again. You must get tired of hearing "thank you". [8D]

quote:

After Canada officially progresses to the Hex, I think it's something that we will seriously look at. Certain countries will be easier and more desirable, so we will have to wait to see how things shape up.

I'll play contrarian and suggest that attending away games as a large group paints a rather large bulls-eye on the group. A group of 10 or 20 blends in with the crowd (or should if they know what's good for them). A group of 500 is going to draw every nut case in the stadium. Unless the area is fenced and secured, it's going to cause more trouble IMHO.

What is really needed is a travel agent willing to organize trips to the Hex. Especially for the USA match.

Update on contacting John B. as suggested above: He responded (thanks!) and will get back to me.

Like I said, we will not be rushing into this. I have had brief discussions with the CSA, and frankly we are going to leave it at that for now. This is not something to take lightly and a number of major issues would need to be addressed.

I would not advise anyone to go into Azteca, or any other foreign stadium wearing our jersey. Sounds like fun till the hostile crowd turns on you. And don't expect the local police to come to your aid.

There is lot's of good news coming on many fronts and the day is quickly approaching that we can pull this off. But now is not the time.

Let's learn to walk before we run.

This is something that has lots of potential. To educate ourselves, it would be interesting to know if Sam's Army have thought of organizing away trips in the recent past. If they've actually pulled it off, I wonder what kind of "warm" reception they got from the locals. I'm sure the US flag elicits a much bigger response than our flag.

Archived