Anyone up for a trip to Mexico

I might be in, more likely for the Hex.

Personally, I don't think we'd run into big problems at the stadium in Mexico or anywhere. We will most likely be laughed at, insulted, and things might get thrown our way, but thats it. We are not hated rivals of anyone, as long as we are friendly and respect their turf, and are not in huge numbers, we're ok.

I would be more worried when leaving the stadium, because when everyone is leaving in a huge crowd, there is serious anonymity, and it is easy to stick a knife in someones face and rob them. At least thats where the problems tend to happen in the part of south america where i am from.

(of course, if we win, we'd be f*cked).

quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

No, but me a Poots started budgeting today for 2010 in South Africa?!

You student types should start thinking about saving up soon!

Any idea what you think it would cost to go to the World Cup?

I'm thinking $3K-4K, but I have no idea.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

I'm locking up 5K for that cause. I don't care if I don't have a penny to my name come july 2010.

edit: since I have nothing to do right now, i browsed flightcentre for calgary-cape town, calgary-johannesburg, toronto-cape town, and toronto-johannesburg. The cheapest one I found was $2400 for toronto cape town (tax included), while from calgary johannesburg appears to be the cheaper option, $2600ish

I think 5K sounds way too low. A plane ticket is going to coast at least $1,500. A hotel for a month in South Africa is going to set you back another $3k. Say you live off $50 a day, that's another $1,500. $1k for in country transport. That's $7k before tickets. What becomes really scary is the very likely possibility that we will not be able to get tickets through the CSA, and will have to try to get tickets through public channels or off ticket toutes.

FYI: The Fifa Dates for the Hex most likely will be:

Matchday 1: February 11 -f

Matchday 2: March 28 -i

Matchday 3: April 1 -i

Matchday 4: June 6 -i

Matchday 5: June 10 -i

June 14-29 Fifa Confederations Cup / Possible Gold Cup

Matchday 6: August 19 -f

Matchday 7: September 5 -i

Matchday 8: September 9 -i

Matchday 9: October 10 -i

Matchday 10: October 14 -i

Fourth place playoff: November 14-18 -i

That gives you 6 months to save from the end of Qualifying until South Africa if we were to qualify.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

Probably not. Couple of assumptions:

1. You'll have to go with a tour company, because that's the only way you'll get tickets here in Canada.

2. You'll want to go to at least the Quarterfinal round. (Add $1000 and up to attend a semi-final and the final.)

In general, World Cup travel is a high-end event given the overall cost of attending. Maybe not Super-Bowl high-end, but the typical traveller isn't staying in a hostel or a Travelodge. Hiltons are more common.

If you're looking at 20 nights accommodation, flights, tickets to eight games (3 Canada, 3 other to fill time, a Round of 16, and QF), transportation to/from two or three cities, you're looking at $7K - $9K I would think. Just to get to SA pre-booked will cost you $2K - you can't get seat-sale prices from a tour booked 9 months in advance. Add on meals, beverages, sightseeting, souvenirs, etc., and if you budget $10,000 you should be OK.

Now you could try to get there on the cheap, book things yourself, stay at down-market places. Still going to cost $2500 - $3000, and that leaves you without a ticket. At best, you'll get a seat in general seating, at worst you'll be competing with Dutch fans for scalpers tickets and end up on the outside looking in. Because all of the Canadian supporter tickets will go to tour companies booking group travel.

I believe a Canadian tour to Germany was $6500, but I can't find the info. If you want to see some sample (high) numbers, you can take a look at http://www.roadtrips.com/?dest=IEFT&_param=0,0,5

If you REALLY cheer loudly for the next 18 months, and say really nice things about the CSA, and have lots of lobbying going on inside the CSA, then they might be willing to allocate some Canadian seats to the V's...which might allow someone to put on a low-budget tour or DIY travel. One of the advantages of being in Canada is that in theory the CSA will have far too large an allocation given the few fans willing to go.

quote:Originally posted by CanadaTFC

Isn't Chiapas kind of dangerous? I know it's one of the poorest parts of Mexico.

I'd take my chances in the capital city of "poor" Chiapas than try my luck in rich Acupulco or Tijuana or any number of northern cities. I would not equate poverty with safety at all.

There was another thread on this: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16145

quote:Originally posted by CanadianTraveller

Probably not. Couple of assumptions:

1. You'll have to go with a tour company, because that's the only way you'll get tickets here in Canada.

2. You'll want to go to at least the Quarterfinal round. (Add $1000 and up to attend a semi-final and the final.)

That's a big assumption. For 2006, you could apply for "team" tickets on your own (ie you pre-pay for 7 games and you get to go to all the games your team plays), as well as single-game tickets. This was done directly through FIFA. Although I know that for T&T, it all went through Warner somehow.

That being said, it might be simpler in a country like SA to have everything organised by a company than trying to wing it, which would be considerably more difficult than say, in Germany.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

That's a big assumption. For 2006, you could apply for "team" tickets on your own (ie you pre-pay for 7 games and you get to go to all the games your team plays), as well as single-game tickets. This was done directly through FIFA. Although I know that for T&T, it all went through Warner somehow.

Fair comment on my assumption. For an event like the Olympics, either you buy tour or you buy scalper. (Or you find your long-lost Chinese relatives and ask them to buy for you.) World Cup isn't a lot different if you want to sit in a supporter's section, but FIFA did run a nationals program last time that, I think, was a first for them. Any idea how many tickets were in that pool? (I definitely don't recall seeing that for '98 or '02.)

One consideration is that SA2010 is quite worried about accessibility to games. For example, purchasers of tickets through MATCH have to show proof of accommodation and proof of transportation to/from South Africa in order to get a ticket. That (presumably?) won't extend to single-match tickets, but it will be interesting to see how they want to package up a "follow your team" set of tickets this time.

If FIFA/MATCH runs it on behalf of the CSA, I think you've got a fair chance. If the CSA has to handle it themselves, with the small staff compliment they have, it is just so much easier for them to turn their allocation over to a set of tour companies and let them manage it. It's not like there's a lot of tickets - maybe as few as 5000 at a smaller venue, 10000 at a larger venue. Two or three tour companies could move that volume fairly easily if so inclined.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianTraveller

Fair comment on my assumption. For an event like the Olympics, either you buy tour or you buy scalper. (Or you find your long-lost Chinese relatives and ask them to buy for you.) World Cup isn't a lot different if you want to sit in a supporter's section, but FIFA did run a nationals program last time that, I think, was a first for them. Any idea how many tickets were in that pool? (I definitely don't recall seeing that for '98 or '02.)

One consideration is that SA2010 is quite worried about accessibility to games. For example, purchasers of tickets through MATCH have to show proof of accommodation and proof of transportation to/from South Africa in order to get a ticket. That (presumably?) won't extend to single-match tickets, but it will be interesting to see how they want to package up a "follow your team" set of tickets this time.

If FIFA/MATCH runs it on behalf of the CSA, I think you've got a fair chance. If the CSA has to handle it themselves, with the small staff compliment they have, it is just so much easier for them to turn their allocation over to a set of tour companies and let them manage it. It's not like there's a lot of tickets - maybe as few as 5000 at a smaller venue, 10000 at a larger venue. Two or three tour companies could move that volume fairly easily if so inclined.

I think it's different for every event. I went to a World Cup match in Germany, and to the Olympics in Torino, and I bought both tickets online directly from the event. I would imagine in China they want to keep things very restricted (hence keeping people with tours), but I think SA would be more lax. If Canada makes it, I think I'd try to get follow-my-team tickets, and fly in for the first match and out just after the last group stage match. That has you staying for about 2 weeks. Assuming gas prices continue to rise, I'd budget $700 for lodging, $400 for food $400 for car rental, and $2000 for a flight. That puts things at a cozy $3500. Last time you could get reasonable seats for $80 for the group stage (and even $200 for a QF). I don't expect tickets to change significantly from Germany since while there is inflation, the remoteness of SA should force them to keep it reasonable. So tag a team specific ticket on there and it should be $500. See here for last WC single ticket prices:

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/wc2006/wc2006.html

Edit: note that my ticket was a return, so indeed the first crack at tickets might be restricted in some way. On the other hand, the CSA finally seems to be taking notice of us, and I hope that we'd be able to broker our own deal for a supporters section, and then they'd leave the rest to tour groups.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

KAS, can you add please me to that list its moc.cam(TA)48namnwodtlip (backwards as I get enough spam as it is)

I gave your e-mail to my sister and she will handle it. You will receive an e-mail from Sunwing directing you to the friends and family version of their website where your e-mail address is your login. Just hold onto the e-mail until you need it.

The website is abit F'd up right now because when I went to check for flights from Toronto to different Mexico spots, the booking started at December/January. They are flying to Mexico right now as well as the other warm spots. There isn't any flights into Chiapas, but there are two spots on the South Pacific coast in the neighbouring state of Oaxaca - Huatulco and Puerto Escondido. Internal transportation is probably difficult and the real challenge though.

Anyways, I hope this helps. If Mexico and/or Jamaica can't be done, then this airline also flies to Florida, Cuba and Costa Rica for possible 2009 WCQ Hex matches.

Archived