Jamaican fans to be segregated at Aug 20 match?

quote:Originally posted by squizz

Pardon my ignorance, if necessary, but how would the CSA go about segregating any group of "away" fans, anyway? Do they ask people, at the time of buying tickets, which team they intend to support, and seat them accordingly? I ask because I'm sure there are plenty of "Canadians" living in Toronto who will fully support Jamaica/Mexico/Honduras/whoever and will just buy tickets wherever they please. Is there really any feasible way to segregate the away fans, or is this just wishful thinking?

You're not a Rasta spy are you? Loose lips, sink ships. :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by ted

Not a conscious choice entirely but they should be taught that when they want crowd colour they should aim for the V's section 3-4 times for every shot of Johnny Concacrap or Janey Brazilboobs in the stands.

I don't mind Janey Brazilboobs....

Ha ha, no, no spying here, though I'd expect such suspicion from someone named McCarthy... just an honest question from a lurker who finally decided to register and post. It bugs the hell out of me to see "Canadians" on Canadian soil cheering against Canada, and I'm just curious as to whether segregating such people is actually achievable.

If nobody wants to spill any secrets, a "yes, it's feasible" will placate me just fine (even if it's a lie).

Nice to see you aboard Squizz. I guess everyone (Voyageurs, CSA, local hosts) are venturing into new territory a bit, as we really want to make it less hospitable to the visting fans. Some ancient history here, but to put it in perspective, the opening game on Cdn soil in 2000 (for 2002 WCQ) was vs Trini in Edmonton. The 'local hosts' had a f*ing T&T marching band as part of the entertainment. That **** is done. Never again!

quote:Originally posted by River CityI don't mind Janey Brazilboobs....
Seasoned cameramen/women will usually avoid coming back to this kind of shot because it is such a cliche (and also sexist). Definitely not an issue at TFC games. Ughh, just kidding, err actually I'm not. Not much chance of Connie Caknockers there. :)

They do sometimes keep going back to the same area because they don't have much time to set their shot so they quickly go to an area they know is full (and they have seen before) so they can quickly frame something. Kids (particularly girls) with painted faces are usually a good thing to shoot. With the usual soccer demo (male 18-34) you run the risk of getting the bird (or if the wild sound mic is near and open) getting some foul language.

A cameraman can get the shot but it is in the hands of the director what he chooses.

Thanks Ed. I fully support the idea of making our venues tough to play in for the competition; I'm just wondering how much can be realistically achieved to this end in a city like Toronto. But I'm sure that there are plenty of good ideas to be had, so I'll defer to the experienced Vs for now, and do my small part with my vocal cords come August 20.

I'm not totally sure how you'd properly segregate BMO (it's not a school in the TDSB, after all). You have to consider things like crowd management under regular circumstances, access to facilities and possible evacuation routes.

The Jamaicans are going to bring a good-sized group, that's for sure. I think you'd need to allocate a good chunk of stadium: either the south end or the upper-west side.

In order to block off the upper stands then you'd really have to restrict access to stairs on the west side of the stadium, and I'm not so sure that the Toronto Fire Marshall would like that too much.

The south end actually seems the easiest to split. For that you put up a giant, reinforced fence bisecting the gate at the south end, limiting access to the east stand and allowing a suitable exit. Then put up another fence in the southwest corner, limiting access to the rest of the stadium on that side.

Put the Vees section smack in the middle of the east stands, in plain view of the TV cameras. I think this is where that main clump of Tico fans sat for the 1-1 draw.

However this is done, I want to see it done. I want the bulk of BMO clad in red on August 20. When I went to Egypt in 2001 there were only 50 or so Canadians in a massive (50k???) stadium, but all the same we had our own section bordered by the Egyptian militia. We were totally seperate from the Iranians (about 200 people), the South Koreans (maybe 500, and very organized) and of course the Egyptian supporters (at least 1000). We should expect no less in Canada. Maybe you don't need to go as far as soldiers with light-machine guns at the end of every other row, but there needs to be some sort of presence and enforcement.

Up the Reds ..... WF, Rudi, anybody else - let me know how I can help out with this. If you need somebody to take care of any leg work then just ask ...

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

I'm not totally sure how you'd properly segregate BMO (it's not a school in the TDSB, after all). You have to consider things like crowd management under regular circumstances, access to facilities and possible evacuation routes.

The Jamaicans are going to bring a good-sized group, that's for sure. I think you'd need to allocate a good chunk of stadium: either the south end or the upper-west side.

In order to block off the upper stands then you'd really have to restrict access to stairs on the west side of the stadium, and I'm not so sure that the Toronto Fire Marshall would like that too much.

The south end actually seems the easiest to split. For that you put up a giant, reinforced fence bisecting the gate at the south end, limiting access to the east stand and allowing a suitable exit. Then put up another fence in the southwest corner, limiting access to the rest of the stadium on that side.

Put the Vees section smack in the middle of the east stands, in plain view of the TV cameras. I think this is where that main clump of Tico fans sat for the 1-1 draw.

However this is done, I want to see it done. I want the bulk of BMO clad in red on August 20. When I went to Egypt in 2001 there were only 50 or so Canadians in a massive (50k???) stadium, but all the same we had our own section bordered by the Egyptian militia. We were totally seperate from the Iranians (about 200 people), the South Koreans (maybe 500, and very organized) and of course the Egyptian supporters (at least 1000). We should expect no less in Canada. Maybe you don't need to go as far as soldiers with light-machine guns at the end of every other row, but there needs to be some sort of presence and enforcement.

Up the Reds ..... WF, Rudi, anybody else - let me know how I can help out with this. If you need somebody to take care of any leg work then just ask ...

The south end is the supporters section ONLY. NOT to be shared with ANYONE else. If anything the north end on the top level should be allocated for Jamaican supporters although they could start tossing things on people...

You'll see plenty of red in the south end, the rest of the stadium is another story...

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

where is this match? Montreal? If so put them on the camera side right corner.

Nobody wants to see dirty jamaicans on TV, bad enough having to see 18 of them on the pitch :P

(for sensitive people, I'm kidding lol)

That little remark of "dirty Jamaicans" has a hint of racism and is not cool at all. What's next, monkey chants and throwing bananas on the pitch?? EVen at the Euros you will note all the stadium have had a huge billboard saying`no to racism`. While making comments like these keep in mind Canada's marquee player, Julian de Guzman is of Jamaican heritage and there are several other players of Carribbean descent on the team. Keep the remarks witty rather than offensive. That said, go Canada go.

"Go Canada go" is a generic hockey chant. But nevermind...

As for Keegan's "dirty" comment, people have already commented on this board that the St. VAG and Jamaican players have a very physical, if not dirty style of play. Did Keegan say anything about race or ethnicity, or are you making rather large (and foolish) leaps in logic?

Guest speedmonk42

Is it possible to segregate fans in Canada?

I could see setting up supporters sections...but...

Could the CSA possibly do this in a way that was VERY VERY VERY bad for soccer in Canada?

I am not sure they can tell people what to do based on...well... four letter words. I hope they don't try or we could be set back... a long time.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

"Go Canada go" is a generic hockey chant. But nevermind...

As for Keegan's "dirty" comment, people have already commented on this board that the St. VAG and Jamaican players have a very physical, if not dirty style of play. Did Keegan say anything about race or ethnicity, or are you making rather large (and foolish) leaps in logic?

I don't wanna argue with anyone, am just pointing out that the way that statement was written, it could be interpreted many ways, one being the way in which I interpreted it. If he was referring to Jamaica's physical play, then fair enough. He could have stated it in a clearer way, actually mentioning their dirty play.

There are some simple, logical ways to limit ticket access to Jamaican fans.

first and foremost, the CSA MUST work closely with the V's and the TFC groups to sell out the South end quickly. Also, offer special offers to TFC season ticket holders to get those guys who aren't in the South End to buy a ticket or two.

Second...work closely with GTA clubs to sell large quantities of tickets through the clubs. If each club in the GTA pledges to buy and re-sell a quantity of tickets equal to a minimum of 2% of their paid registration, you'd sell thousands of tickets to the type of people who need to be exposed to the CMNT so that we create the Canadian fans of the future. As an act of goodwill, the CSA should give back to the clubs in the form of coaching clinics, player clinics, etc.... I know I plan to lobby my club in Mississauga to buy at least 100 tickets and take down two busloads of rep players. I will be bringing my youth teams and their parents (that should total about 40-50 people).

Third, all of us who are already going to be buying tickets MUST buy at least 1 more ticket than we would normally buy and bring someone to the game who otherwise would not go. It has the potential to create new fans + it will result in at least an extra 2000-3000 tickets getting sold. This will take a commitment from all supporters to pull it off but I think this is crucial.

lastly, when people are buying their tickets, ask them to identify what country they support. If they choose Jamaica, stick them in the far North east section of BMO Field (Sex 104 I think).

We need a minimum of 17000 for this game and at most 1000 of them can be Jamaican fans. The other 16000+ need to be singing for the team in Red and White.

I liked the idea in the other thread that had game tickets as part of a CNE package. I just see a lot of those tickets ending up on eBay, where I can guarantee Canadian fans aren't buying them.

I'd love to see the TFC/V's fans on the south end, and then another V's section right in the middle of the East side for TV purposes. I don't know if there's enough people here to do that (and if ticket costs are comparable to TFC games, shelling out $75 for the same experience as $20 seats might also not work), but it would look awesome.

I watch a lot of college football (gridiron). When you buy a ticket for a college football game at a neutral site they ask you who you will be cheering for. They then sell you a ticket in the appropriate section. Most people would rather sit with a large group of people that are cheering for the same team they are.

And, since there are white Jamaicans and black Canadians I'm not sure what skin colour has to do with anything. Consider that, and the fact that it's done this way EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD, and there is no reason at all to be offended by keeping all the Jamaica fans together.

quote:Originally posted by Jimmy

That little remark of "dirty Jamaicans" has a hint of racism and is not cool at all. What's next, monkey chants and throwing bananas on the pitch?? EVen at the Euros you will note all the stadium have had a huge billboard saying`no to racism`. While making comments like these keep in mind Canada's marquee player, Julian de Guzman is of Jamaican heritage and there are several other players of Carribbean descent on the team. Keep the remarks witty rather than offensive. That said, go Canada go.

Not meant to be racist at all. Simply a rivalry kidding comment, I could say dirty Columbus fans or whatever. It is just meant as a joke. But I'm sure if I said dirty Americans it wouldn't be seen as racism just that Jamaicans are mostly black makes it racist?

I just hope their coaches are taking us as lightly as their fans.

The arrogance over there is incredible. Most won't even concede that Canada even has a chance to pull out a draw over the two games, let alone be a threat to actually win one. I realize that fans will be biased, but at least over here we're not taking them so lightly (although admittedly we are looking at them as the weakest team in a very strong group).

quote:Originally posted by theaub

I liked the idea in the other thread that had game tickets as part of a CNE package. I just see a lot of those tickets ending up on eBay, where I can guarantee Canadian fans aren't buying them.

The tickets will be part of a de facto CNE package in any case. Or vice versa. Admission to TFC games (as with Blue Jay games in the past) gets you into the Ex.

One thing I'm going to do (and would encourage as many TFC/Canada fans to do) is to buy the max number of tickets (probably 8 or something like that) when offered with the money I'm saving from not having to travel. And these tickets will go only to people who are going to support Canada, loudly and proudly. That's less seats available to any Jamaican fans who might be interested in invading the section.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

An e-mail I received from a high ranking CSA exec. yesterday:

Near the end of the SVG game 3-4 SVG fans came into the Vs section and started to dance, blow their whistles and wave a SVG flag in our face. Whatever. It was 7-1. However, I suggested that it might not be as benign if a situation like that were to occur in a more intense situation. My CSA contact seemed to agree.

Yes, this will be raised with the CSA. I thought that was complete BS on the part of security. The inflatable bouncing Canada ball was apprehended within seconds, yet security stood their grinning when St V fans came to our section for the sole purpose to taunt our fans. greatin idiots !

quote:Originally posted by marktci

The tickets will be part of a de facto CNE package in any case. Or vice versa. Admission to TFC games (as with Blue Jay games in the past) gets you into the Ex.

One thing I'm going to do (and would encourage as many TFC/Canada fans to do) is to buy the max number of tickets (probably 8 or something like that) when offered with the money I'm saving from not having to travel. And these tickets will go only to people who are going to support Canada, loudly and proudly. That's less seats available to any Jamaican fans who might be interested in invading the section.

One thing that I think everyone needs to figure out then is where to buy seats after the south end fills out. I mean, judging by what's being said in this thread and others, there will be absolutely no problem getting the south end filled with V's/RPB/U-Sector/whoever. However if everyone's going to buy some extra tickets (which I think is a very good idea), I think we should try to progressively move up the East side for TV purposes. Having the entire East side in red and white as well would be quite awesome.

Yeah, I didn't take too kindly to those VAG dudes rushing into our section and waving flags. Allow me to be the first to say that if some Jamaican, Honduran or Mexican tries that during a more heated game - I will be the first to introduce him to the exit from our section.

I wouldn't try that ish in Jamaica, Honduras or Mexico. And as such, they shouldn't be trying it here.

I also support the notion that Jamaican fans, as away supporters are entitled to a properly secured area for their support. (note the political phrasing) As such, to diminish the risk of a security issue, all supporters publcly displaying support for, or sporting Jamaican colours, will be asked to leave the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

One thing that I think everyone needs to figure out then is where to buy seats after the south end fills out. I mean, judging by what's being said in this thread and others, there will be absolutely no problem getting the south end filled with V's/RPB/U-Sector/whoever. However if everyone's going to buy some extra tickets (which I think is a very good idea), I think we should try to progressively move up the East side for TV purposes. Having the entire East side in red and white as well would be quite awesome.

During TFC matches 110 and 111 and non-official standing areas. 111 more so. (top right corner on the TV)

Anyways I would suggest 111 since it's easier and better for cross section chants.

Although NEE has the north west end, but I'd be surprised if they didn't move on to the south end to coordinate chants a lot easier. But I don't know much about what if anything they're planning on doing.

Archived