Jamaican fans to be segregated at Aug 20 match?

An e-mail I received from a high ranking CSA exec. yesterday:

quote:

...Must admit first time I ever went on the voyageur website as it was only way I could get a good account of match other than speaking to staff directly.

Yes we are looking to sequester the Jamaica fans.

I will be in touch with office and ensure we are on that.

Congrats is to all as its our team.

Near the end of the SVG game 3-4 SVG fans came into the Vs section and started to dance, blow their whistles and wave a SVG flag in our face. Whatever. It was 7-1. However, I suggested that it might not be as benign if a situation like that were to occur in a more intense situation. My CSA contact seemed to agree.

We'll see. However, and I've been beating this drum for a while, I think that creating a visitors designated section is as important to ensuring home field advantage as creating a Canadian section is. If you put all the away support together, it reduces the impact of seeing away support sprinkled throughout (and often loud support directly beside more traditional, reserved Canadian support--making it seem even more like Canadian supporters are outnumbered).

Stick 'em in the far NE corner.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

When fans of the same allegiance are together, don't they in effect get louder? That's been my experience anyway.

Yes.

The "quiet" Canadian fans are the wildcards. When a few loud Jamaicans are beside them, are they more likely to be loud to (to counteract) or quiet (scared/intimidated)?

They are going to be together anyway. In football crazy cpountries, they have special fenced in areas where the fans are admitted, with their own entrance, and are not allowed to cross overbto the other sections. If this real world soloution is what CSA wants to do and will do, that is great.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

where is this match? Montreal? If so put them on the camera side right corner.

Nobody wants to see dirty jamaicans on TV, bad enough having to see 18 of them on the pitch :P

(for sensitive people, I'm kidding lol)

Game is @ BMO short of a miracle.

If that's the case put em up on the 2nd level by the north end. That way you don't see them and looks like it's a pro Canadian crowd, which we all hope it will be.

Also put the microphones by the supporters section in the south end so it sounds like Canadian supporters are crazier and louder.

where is this match? Montreal? If so put them on the camera side right corner.

Nobody wants to see dirty jamaicans on TV, bad enough having to see 18 of them on the pitch :P

(for sensitive people, I'm kidding lol)

If that's the case put em up on the 2nd level by the north end. That way you don't see them and looks like it's a pro Canadian crowd, which we all hope it will be.

Also put the microphones by the supporters section in the south end so it sounds like Canadian supporters are crazier and louder.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

Nooooo not at BMO. Anywhere but BMO.

We will get more fans in Montreal, grass, players choice, less Jamaicans. The only reason more Jamaicans will be at this game is because they know about it through Jamaican papers and news. Canadians don't know about the game, we have a better team we should be promoting the game all over the place and on TV. Make sure we have a good crowd. Ask TFC for help in putting the game on the big screen to promote it during TFC games.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

We will get more fans in Montreal, grass, players choice, less Jamaicans. The only reason more Jamaicans will be at this game is because they know about it through Jamaican papers and news. Canadians don't know about the game, we have a better team we should be promoting the game all over the place and on TV. Make sure we have a good crowd. Ask TFC for help in putting the game on the big screen to promote it during TFC games.

All I know from a STH is that the CSA is calling the shots but that MLSE is trying to get 1st shot to STH.

She said he didn't have more info than that sadly.

All I know from a STH is that the CSA is calling the shots but that MLSE is trying to get 1st shot to STH.

She said he didn't have more info than that sadly.

There are 100 000 Jamaicans in Montreal.

That said, I don't know where they were at last year's freindly so I guess they're not organized (or more likely care more about cricket...)

quote:Originally posted by Keano

There are 100 000 Jamaicans in Montreal.

That said, I don't know where they were at last year's freindly so I guess they're not organized (or more likely care more about cricket...)

There's not 100,000 in Montreal.

Per Wikipedia:

211k total

130k in Toronto and Brampton

10k in the province of Quebec (2001): http://www.quebecinterculturel.gouv.qc.ca/fr/diversite-ethnoculturelle/stats-groupes-ethno.html

Edit: FYI, St-VAG'ians were 1,600 in QC in 2001

For Edmonton, I think the trick will be to get the MExicans into the Northwest or Southwest cornerswhere they'll be out of the camera's shot as well as out of direct microphone range. I'd love to see them contained in the second tier, but that won't happen.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Why is it that our own media seem to always point their cameras at oppostion fans?

We were talking about that as we watched on Friday. I think it is simply because the host broadcasters have too few cameras and no experience broadcasting soccer. The opposing fans always sit in big clumps near midfield in the front rows while our organized support favours the end zones. They have no cameras pointing into the end zones and cannot turn quickly enough (if they even knew to do so) to catch crowd reaction from the swarms of red-shirted fanatics.

Not a conscious choice entirely but they should be taught that when they want crowd colour they should aim for the V's section 3-4 times for every shot of Johnny Concacrap or Janey Brazilboobs in the stands.

Pardon my ignorance, if necessary, but how would the CSA go about segregating any group of "away" fans, anyway? Do they ask people, at the time of buying tickets, which team they intend to support, and seat them accordingly? I ask because I'm sure there are plenty of "Canadians" living in Toronto who will fully support Jamaica/Mexico/Honduras/whoever and will just buy tickets wherever they please. Is there really any feasible way to segregate the away fans, or is this just wishful thinking?

Archived