Jamaican fans to be segregated at Aug 20 match?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm just saying that some media will pick up on something which ressembles racial profiling.

I know it isn't, you know it isn't, but the CSA will be weary to avoid a controversy of potentially big magnitude.

You need to get the tickets in the hands of Canadian (or neutral) fans. That means making them hard to buy for the general public and getting a lot to kids.

We need to put the Toronto Star on alert right now. Who could ever forget the "White Jays"? :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I agree. I am talking about it being abused by wankers.

However, what you are suggesting is different than some of the things being said. Suggesting where people sit is one thing, but actually telling someone they can't buy a ticket or use the ticket they bought may not be possible in Canada.

Regardless of what I or we think, the correlation between what shirt you wear and your race is going to be almost 100%. There is a potential disaster lurking here if it is none done right.

This would be I assume new territory for Canada.

PS. Do we have any Lawyers lurking here?

There is no disaster lurking, you have three choices you are :

1) Neutral, and you are not wearing any club or country colors at all. There for you sit in your neutral zone.

2) You support the away team or are wearing away team colours, jerseys, caps etc... and you sit in the away team zone.

3) You support Canada and are wearing Canadian team colours and you sit in the Canadian zone.

If you happen to be of Jamican heritage and like to wear a Jamican colored hat, but you support Canada your going to need to have a Canadian jersey on etc...or jersey saying ... Jamican Canadians for Canada 2010 .... and you sit in the Canada section.

The Segregation of fans by who they support has no legal implications and in fact the reverse is sure to be true, the failure of the CSA to segregate based on allegiance opens them to serious legal risk should a violent event occur. The defence to the segregation by supporter status is a reasonalbe limitation of freedom of association based on the Charter, remember the underlying tenet in Canada is ... Peace, Order and Good Government, the first two are to take precedent at a international sport event, Peace amoungst fans ... and Order in the movement of people etc.

Lets cut the dumb idea that because the majority of Jamicians who will come to Canada from Jamica for the game are from a identifiable majority in Jamica ..that somehow segregating in and away zone is racism. Its not end of story.

PS and for those who think all Jamicans are black your wrong.

Segregation=separation=isolation. Choice of words can be a problem. I am all for separating the visiting team's supporters from our supporters and minimizing their impact. Segregation does not belong on this board or anywhere else.

Segregation=separation=isolation. Choice of words can be a problem. I am all for separating the visiting team's supporters from our supporters and minimizing their impact. Segregation does not belong on this board or anywhere else.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:

Lets cut the dumb idea that because the majority of Jamicians who will come to Canada from Jamica for the game are from a identifiable majority in Jamica ..that somehow segregating in and away zone is racism. Its not end of story.

PS and for those who think all Jamicans are black your wrong.

Did you read the posts?

I specifically said people other than us. I said open to abuse by wankers. Which it could be if done wrong. The USSF already faced a lawsuit for something similar.

Given the growing nature of our support, we all think it is a good idea and know there is nothing wrong with it.

But I can totally see some a$$hat buying tickets to our section and then being refused entry and.... you know the rest of the story. The truth, reason, ect... none of it will matter.

Simple solution:

Segregate the Canadian fans - force us into our own section and keep us there. No Canadian may be within 20 seats of any Jamaican - kind of like a restraining order. Anyone found with a Canadian jersey in a non-Canadian zone will be forcibly relocated to the Canadian section. Seeing as we are the host country, the Canadian zone should be about 80% of the stadium size as there are a lot of us undesirables about.

The CSA would like this as the see us as a problem anyway. Now they can force us into a maintained and controlled area where our passivity will not incite visiting fans to outnumber and attack us in the small pockets we often occupy during games. Never again do I want Chileans, or any other nationality, having to break their knuckles on our faces because we choose to support the country where we live. That to me is not being a good and gracious host.

We must be put in out place and I think this is the best solution.

My suggestion, if it hasn't been brought up:

- divide the stadium into 3 parts: supporter, visitor,

general admission

- open up all areas after tickets have been on sale for 3 weeks

- out of town supporter orders handled by the Voyageurs

- insist, rightly or wrongly, that being in the right section

is for their own safety and enjoyment

This way, all sections will be accessible to all fans to their

satisfaction.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Simple solution:

Segregate the Canadian fans - force us into our own section and keep us there.

The CSA would like this as the see us as a problem anyway.

We must be put in out place and I think this is the best solution.

I appreciate the sarcastic humour. However, exactly that scenario

was what happened when I was at Burnaby in WCQ 2004. The security/

police was telling us Canadian fans to sit down, while the Guates

were yelling the obscenities and attempted to rip down our flags.

As a visitor to the city, I was appalled and furious to be treated

this way. Didn't happen in the U.S. or Montreal btw.

Making this a racial issue would obviously be a catastrophic mistake. How about a new CSA policy? 10% of the seats for WC or Olympic qualifiers will be available to all opposing teams via their FA or through normal means (ticketmaster). This would negate the possible negative optics, as all opposing fans would be gathered in one place. Once the 10% is gone, tough luck. Anyone who comes in opposing colours and is in wrong area would forfeit ticket and be asked to leave. It wouldn't be much fun to come to a game and not wear colours or join in the festivities.

I have been to many WC and Euro qualifiers in Europe and "segregation" works well. Enough with political correctness and sensitivity. We have a right to have our team be supported in our country. We have an immature soccer culture, but our players shouldn't be punished for that. No one is telling people with allegiances to their old country to change their ways, just that they should be quick to grab a ticket in their zone; otherwise, wear your green and gold and scream to your heart's content in your living room.

quote:Originally posted by kclee

I hate to admit it but I agree.

I really think "splitting up" or "dividing" is a better choice of words even if it means the same.

If you use segretation people will freak out because of what the word often means/associated with.

I do agree that Canadian fans should have 1st shot and try to fill the stadium, but you DON'T want to make it seem like a racial thing. Besides this isn't nor should it turn into a racial issue. Toronto has a huge mix of ethnicities and many of those people could be future Canadian supporters. Hell w/ the lack of advertising I'm not surprised when I hear the comment "Canada has a soccer team?"

Anyways just my 2 cents...

quote:Originally posted by rootsman

...as a Jamaican, I don't mind being in a section with other Jamaicans. I don't see how you enforce that though, do you check people's passports or something when they are buying tickets? Not sure it can be done.

I don't know if this would be possible, but let's say all tickets are sold on a general admission basis. At the game itself, have signs posted that direct Canadian and Jamaican supporters to their respective gates, which in turn will lead them to their respective sections.

quote:Originally posted by rootsman

...as a Jamaican, I don't mind being in a section with other Jamaicans. I don't see how you enforce that though, do you check people's passports or something when they are buying tickets? Not sure it can be done.

What happens in other stadiums sometimes is you can't get in to a section wearing the opponent's colours.

I went to watch Greece vs Turkey and the EPO (greek soc.fed) did not allocate 1 ticket to the visitors.

That is extreme but our boys should feel that they are at home. Keep visiting fans to one section,they can purchase the billets thru their soccer federation.

I was at Saputo Stadium..I could not believe that security allowed some Vincy fans to go into the endzone where OUR SUPPORTERS were.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading this board and getting a little freaked out. I just bought tickets online to the game and didn't notice until the transaction was complete that they are in the Jamaican supporters section. There don't seem to be tickets left in the Canadian supporters section.

At first I didn't think it would be that big a deal, since I went to the Canada-Brazil match (women's) and there were Canadian and Brasilian fans interspersed.

But now I'm wondering if it's a good idea to sit in the Jamaica section and cheer for Canada.

I wonder if BMO/CSA would decrease the Jamaica section since there are Canadians wanting tickets, but no Canadian supporters seats left?

quote:Originally posted by redjay

I've been reading this board and getting a little freaked out. I just bought tickets online to the game and didn't notice until the transaction was complete that they are in the Jamaican supporters section. There don't seem to be tickets left in the Canadian supporters section.

At first I didn't think it would be that big a deal, since I went to the Canada-Brazil match (women's) and there were Canadian and Brasilian fans interspersed.

But now I'm wondering if it's a good idea to sit in the Jamaica section and cheer for Canada.

I wonder if BMO/CSA would decrease the Jamaica section since there are Canadians wanting tickets, but no Canadian supporters seats left?

Of course its a good idea to cheer for Canada in a Jamaican section. What are they going to do about it? Most Jamaican fans will be fine but if one of them has a problem it will be their problem as there are going to be more Canadians than Jamaicans there and security everywhere

I'm a fan of separate home and away sections, but I wouldn't exactly be up in arms if Canadian supporters bought tickets in the Jamaican sections. This is OUR home game; if the Jamaican supporters don't like it, they can stay away. It's not as though Jamaica is going to be hospitable to Canadian supporters when we play in Kingston.

I can almost guarantee that some Canadian fans will find themselves in "Jamaican" sections and vice versa. I can also assure you that many of the sections originally dedicated for away support will end up populated almost entirely by Canadian fans.

From seeing many games in the past - it was typical for the opposing teams supporters to all band together in one area, while us Canadians were located at various spots all over the stadium. The only organized support was the one or two guys who bought up lots of tickets and then invited all their friends. Thanks to the V's this is becoming a thing of the past. The best thing for the V's to lobby for is allocated seats for the membership and their friends. Let the other associations worry about their fans - as long as they are not permitted seats (or given the code) in the V section. I'd love to see them have loose pockets of support throughout the stadium so we can drown them out in a crushing sea of red.....

I know there is a lot of concern about the large Jamaican contingent that is likely to show up on August 20th, and with good reason. But I'm sure you'll all be interested to know that in 13 matches all-time, Canada is unbeaten against Jamaica outside of the island, and sports a perfect 3-0-0 record in matches played in Toronto.

Archived