CAN SVG Post game

nolando

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a bunch of no-skill, dirty butchering SOBs. SVG people should be ashamed of that team. I don't think I saw a single clean challenge by one of their hackers all game long.

What happened to Hainault? Surely he should have started over Cann, and if not Cann, then Brennan, no?

Cann - thanks, but no thanks. Not a terrible game but a major gaffe on the goal proves why USL defenders are better left in the USL. Shame we didnt refer to our 2004 notes when Mitchell revisited that idea.

Radz - stupid yellow - proves that we are still going to complain and yell and be surprised when CONCACAF reffing doesnt match up with European reffing. It doesnt match up, guys, and never will.

Defense- giving up too many oportunities, IMHO. Against SVG, fine. Save, over the bar, wide of the post. But against Serie A and Mexican Liga and Premiership strikers, we are doomed if this keeps up.

JDG - should have been subbed by Bernier earlier IMHO, and right after that tackle when he grabbed his legs. Give Bernier an EARLIER run-out at home - play a guy who will probably play a bit more as we tone down this five (six?) man offense into something we could realistically play against our second round opponents, requiring at least a couple of defensive mids.

Wouldnt it have been nice to have given OO the last 20 minutes of the game in place of Gerba?

Great game for DDR and the likes of Hutch, Serioux.

Still not sure we will see much of DeJong as he offers so much similar a skill set to favoured Nakajima, or to Simpson who might deserve one more chance. He has heaps of talent and will great down the road but has been injected into this team a little late to be a perfect fit.

Are we seriously going to experiment with Brennan in an attacking role from the back? He had a couple of chances - alright but PLEASE tell me that was just to appease TFC -as I cant see him as being very effective against the better CONCACAF teams. I still want to see him in Hastings' spot but obviously DM doesnt want to see that at all, as this was the perfect chance.

All, in all a fun game to watch but, like JDV said, a game with all kinds of red flags being thrown up in time for the second round.

And what does DM do at keeper? Do you through Hirsch back in if he is 100%? Does he deserve it given Onstad's dedication?

What happened to Hainault? Surely he should have started over Cann, and if not Cann, then Brennan, no?

Cann - thanks, but no thanks. Not a terrible game but a major gaffe on the goal proves why USL defenders are better left in the USL. Shame we didnt refer to our 2004 notes when Mitchell revisited that idea.

Radz - stupid yellow - proves that we are still going to complain and yell and be surprised when CONCACAF reffing doesnt match up with European reffing. It doesnt match up, guys, and never will.

Defense- giving up too many oportunities, IMHO. Against SVG, fine. Save, over the bar, wide of the post. But against Serie A and Mexican Liga and Premiership strikers, we are doomed if this keeps up.

JDG - should have been subbed by Bernier earlier IMHO, and right after that tackle when he grabbed his legs. Give Bernier an EARLIER run-out at home - play a guy who will probably play a bit more as we tone down this five (six?) man offense into something we could realistically play against our second round opponents, requiring at least a couple of defensive mids.

Wouldnt it have been nice to have given OO the last 20 minutes of the game in place of Gerba?

Still not sure we will see much of DeJong as he offers so much similar a skill set to favoured Nakajima, or to Simpson who might deserve one more chance. He has heaps of talent and will great down the road but has been injected into this team a little late to be a perfect fit.

Are we seriously going to experiment with Brennan in an attacking role from the back? He had a couple of chances - alright but PLEASE tell me that was just to appease TFC -as I cant see him as being very effective against the better CONCACAF teams. I still want to see him in Hastings' spot but obviously DM doesnt want to see that at all, as this was the perfect chance.

All, in all a fun game to watch but, like JDV said, a game with all kinds of red flags being thrown up in time for the second round.

And what does DM do at keeper? Do you through Hirsch back in if he is 100%? Does he deserve it given Onstad's dedication?

I think the yellows to DeGuzman, Radz could carry over to the next round. Here is what the FIFA Disciplinary Code says:

Section 4. Carrying over and cancelling cautions and match suspensions

Article 36 Carrying over cautions

1. Cautions received during one competition are not carried over to

another competition.

2. They are, however, carried over from one round to the next in the same

competition. The Disciplinary Committee may exceptionally depart

from this rule before the start of a particular competition. This provi-

sion is subject to art. 37.

Article 37 Cancellation of cautions

1. Upon its own initiative or at the request of a confederation, the Dis-

ciplinary Committee may cancel cautions that have not resulted in an

expulsion so as to restore the balance among several teams that have

not played the same number of matches during the first round of a

competition, or in other exceptional circumstances.

2. In any case, the committee may do this only once in any competition.

3. The Disciplinary Committee’s decision is final.

As I read it, the Disciplinary Committee could wipe out the cautions for the next round, by what indication do we have that they will? I'm very worried that, because of that bastard referee, we'll lose DeGuzman in a critical game in the next round.

I actually thought it was great that SVG cheered so hard after their goal. For them, scoring even one goal againt a team of our calibre seemed like winning the World Cup, and I dont think I have much negative to say about either their tactics or support from the stands.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

I think the yellows to DeGuzman, Radz could carry over to the next round. .

Was worried about that. This kind of thing wouldnt affect a Mexico nearly as much but could put us in a terrible position. Imagine not having Julian for even one of the next six games.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by nolando

JDG - should have been subbed by Bernier earlier IMHO, and right after that tackle when he grabbed his legs. Give Bernier an EARLIER run-out at home - play a guy who will probably play a bit as we tone down this five man offense into something we could realistically play against our second round opponents, requiring at least of defensive mids.

Still not sure we will see much of DeJong as he offers so much similar a skill set to favoured Nakajima, or to Simpson who might deserve one more chance.

Are we seriously going to experiment with Brennan in an attacking role from the back? PLEASE tell me that was just to appease TFC -as I cant see him as being very effective against the better CONCACAF teams.

I second the analysis. When you are up to concentrate you have to play for fun, and fun means possession. Hold onto it, throw it around, let them run more, be patient, kill them off. Then make the play forwards when it comes to you, none of this impatient running, as if we were countering. Just because the rival was bad does not mean the coach cannot impose a standard and a concept. Even for fun, for pure fun. As a challenge.

Im with Jeffrey in that when I look at DDR I cant help but wonder what he might have become in a country like Spain, or Holland even. Unlike Jeffrey, I think the time has passed when he could go and develop that much further than where he is today. He reminds me of a guy like Donovan, who was happier to be one of the best guys on the pitch in a mediocre league than have to push day-in-day-out to prove that you belong, and pushed by top level coaching and trainers, the kind of challnge that develops above average talent into top-level product. Julian is a perfect example of the kind of progress that DDR could have made. Imagine where he could have been today if he had gone.

as evidenced in previous WCQ (for myself, this is my 6th), these games against minnows don't mean anything - weather it's number of goals scored, style of play, etc...

just get through is the goal only and build some team cohesion off the field. secondarily, see some alt players in action, work on some set pieces etc...

if we win our first two home matches in the 2nd round, no will care about these SVG games. if we lose our first two home matches in the 2nd round, no will care about these SVG games.

How many players can be carried per round? Is it an 18 man roster again? I think we will see a few players gone....

Ideas:

Bernier ---> Nsaliwa

Cann ----> McKenna

Brennan ----> Hume

I wasn't impressed with any of these guys and I think all of these changes are an upgrade.

Unlike some, I thought Hutch had a decent game after being invisible for a few. I agree that he seems to have been the victim of all this positive growth in midfield, meaning that he has been the guy more often in the shadow, less likely to be in a position to contribute directly to the offense. However, I still think he looks about the same weight and size as four years ago and I have to wonder if he couldnt use a top level strength and conditioning coach. I know, he is fit, and I wouldnt be surprised at all if he has amongst the lowest body fat percentages on our side, but where is that upper body strength that will be so necessary at his position as we go to the next round, or as he (as he well should be) looks towards a tranfer to one of the big european leagues? I mean, I havent seen many guys look as badly in need of a sandwich or two as Hutch in England or Germany, for example. He has the body of an active teen, IMHO.

Thanks for your analyses, nolando. First off, I think Simpson, if he's back from injury and getting a first team place with K-town, should warrant another call up: even though I was probably his most vocal critic at the time, I don't think he'll repeat his South Africa effort of inaccurate passing and such. As for Hutch, as I said in the game thread, I have always felt he was better in a more advanced role rather than being a holding/link man type from a deeper midfield position. I've seen that lack of ballast pose problems for him in past matches where he gets shoulder-charged off the ball too easily. That said, I wouldn't mind having a more physical defensive ball winner to support Hutch and DeGuzman in the middle of the park, yet someone who won't be a liability in the passing game: the choices would be a currently ineligible Nsaliwa or a recovering from injury Imhoff.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

How many cards is it for a suspension? I'm gravely fearing it's 2. Don't want Jules a card away from missing a game.

Unless the cards are erased going into the semis, which I'm not at all sure they will be, then Julian will be one card away from a suspension. It's two yellows to a suspension.

We gave up some chances, but most of them came when it was 4-0 so that didn't bother me too much. having said that..Yes when we play better teams we're gonna face pressure and give up some goals, but at least now we can score. Friend-Ali G-Dero trifecta..no problems there. Radz is a problem though IMO, and if they're gonna have him and/or Brennan that far forward, Hume has gotta be in that mix somewhere because i think he's better than both of them. impressed and encouraged by Nakajima on the wing though..played a very strong game tonight.

Someone with a better memory than mine might be able to clear this up, but last time around, didn't Hume collect a few cards against Belize that caused him problems?

I remember him getting right corcked off and us having a discussion something to the effect of "welcome to CONCACAF Iain..."

De Rosario, Gerba score twice each as Canada beats St. Vincent 4-1

By Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - The 11,502 who turned out on a damp, cool night to Saputo Stadium were not disappointed in what they saw from Canada's national soccer team.

Dwayne De Rosario and Ali Gerba each scored two goals as Canada posted a clear 4-1 victory over St. Vincent and the Grenadines in a World Cup qualifying match Friday night.

Canada won the two-game series 7-1 on aggregate and advanced to the group stage of qualifying in the CONCACAF zone - a tough round robin tournament that begins in August against Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica.

"Most importantly, we got the result," said De Rosario. "It's nice to play well and score, but we got the result.

"The fans were really into the game, which is very important, and hopefully we'll continue this run."

Marlon James delighted the enthusiastic group of St. Vincent supporters in the stands with a late goal for the visitors, who pressed their attack from the start in a bid for goals after dropping a 3-0 decision in the opening leg at home last Sunday.

The talk all week has been how Canada's players want to make Saputo Stadium their home because it is in the East, which makes travel easier from their European clubs, and because it has a grass field. But the Canadian Soccer Association has commitments for games at BMO Field in Toronto, which has a synthetic surface.

The first game of the next round is currently scheduled for Aug. 20 against Jamaica at BMO Field.

"I think the main thing is finding a home ground where we can play," added De Rosario, a Scarborough, Ont., native. "In Montreal, it's beautiful stadium.

"I think Saputo has done a great job of putting together a great atmosphere. And if we continue to get results, why should we move anywhere else?"

Canada will have its work cut out for it in the next round, with no easy opponents. It has not qualified for the World Cup since its one and only appearance at the 1986 event in Mexico.

"I'm looking forward to that round," said De Rosario, the Houston Dynamo striker. "We've been playing well and in order to be the best, we have to beat the best."

Canadia captain Paul Stalteri said Canada has to toughest of the three four-team groups in the next round. The top two from each group advance to the final round to be played in 2009, with the best three or four from that going on to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"Again we have the hardest group in qualifying, like the last two World Cups," said Stalteri. "But in the end, you have to play everybody.

"We need to get off to a good start, because the last two times, we lost the first game and it made it very difficult for us."

Getting past St. Vincent, ranked 147th in the world to Canada's 60th, was a formality.

It rained hard for an hour before the match, which likely kept some fans at home, but the game opened in sunshine on a slick pitch.

The gold, green and blue-clad islanders pushed their players up and Canada played quick balls back to try to catch their defence off guard.

De Rosario, easily the player of the game, could have had a hat-trick in the first half, but he failed to control a pass from Gerba in front of a gaping St. Vincent goal in the 22nd minute.

He made no mistake in the 29th, slipping past defender Wesley Charles, cutting inside, deking Charles again and firing a shot into an open side.

Gerba, a Montreal native who also scored twice in a 3-0 win in St. Vincent on Sunday, was at the edge of the goal area to head in a De Rosario pass in the 38th minute.

In the 43rd, again it was De Rosario fielding a perfect pass from Issey Nakajima-Ferran, but he slipped on the wet grass and couldn't shoot.

When he got a pass from Tomasz Radzinski five minutes into the second half, De Rosario blasted it through goalkeeper Winslow McDowall's hands and into the net. And then he put a smart cross from the right side in that Gerba headed past McDowell in the 63rd minute for a 4-0 lead.

"We read each other very well," De Rosario said of Gerba. "It's just the cohesiveness of this team - we all read each other well."

St. Vincent never quit and the big striker James swept in on the right side and chipped the ball over 'keeper Pat Onstad in the 76th minute.

"That goal was big," said St. Vincent coach Stewart Hall. "In the first game, you (Canada) scored after 38 minutes, but it was nip and tuck up to then.

"This time, it was close for 25 minutes. If we'd have been a bit more clinical in front, we could have got more than one, but it's great for our boys."

St. Vincent had other moments, including one in the 73rd minute when substitute Alwyn Guy failed to control a set-up from James in front and managed only a weak rolling shot to Onstad.

Canada's Julian de Guzman and Radzinski were cautioned, the latter for giving a small shove to referee Joel Antonio Aguilar while St. Vincent's Cornelius Stewart was being booked.

"I know that on paper it looked easy, but I don't think any games are easy now," said Radzinski. "We're just glad that we made it.

"Hopefully we'll be back here in August and play another great game."

Notes: Injuries forced two lineup changes from the first leg for Canada. Gerba replaced Rob Friend (back spasms) as he did only seven minutes into the last game, and defender Adrian Cann took the place of Richard Hastings (abdominal strain). . . St. Vincent started midfielder Darren Hamlet in place of Richard Haydes and forward Shandell Samuel for Sean Glynn. . .The officials were from El Salvador.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080620/sports/soc_wcup_svg_cda

Boy, it sounds more and more like there is a player revolution underway regarding the stadium issue.

Guys, these sorts of games are tough to play, and we should be happy we actually finished a good many of our chances and did not suffer further injury. Yes, we can tighten up at the back but this was a good learning experience and we will be sharper for the next round games for sure.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Someone with a better memory than mine might be able to clear this up, but last time around, didn't Hume collect a few cards against Belize that caused him problems?

I remember him getting right corcked off and us having a discussion something to the effect of "welcome to CONCACAF Iain..."

Hume was red carded against Belize.

However de Vos received a yellow against Belize, received another in the first Honduras game and then missed the next game against Costa Rica. I can't remember the circumstances with regards to his exclusion from that match but on the surface it would seem yellows carry over.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

De Rosario, Gerba score twice each as Canada beats St. Vincent 4-1

By Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - The 11,502 who turned out on a damp, cool night to Saputo Stadium were not disappointed in what they saw from Canada's national soccer team.

Dwayne De Rosario and Ali Gerba each scored two goals as Canada posted a clear 4-1 victory over St. Vincent and the Grenadines in a World Cup qualifying match Friday night.

Canada won the two-game series 7-1 on aggregate and advanced to the group stage of qualifying in the CONCACAF zone - a tough round robin tournament that begins in August against Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica.

"Most importantly, we got the result," said De Rosario. "It's nice to play well and score, but we got the result.

"The fans were really into the game, which is very important, and hopefully we'll continue this run."

Marlon James delighted the enthusiastic group of St. Vincent supporters in the stands with a late goal for the visitors, who pressed their attack from the start in a bid for goals after dropping a 3-0 decision in the opening leg at home last Sunday.

The talk all week has been how Canada's players want to make Saputo Stadium their home because it is in the East, which makes travel easier from their European clubs, and because it has a grass field. But the Canadian Soccer Association has commitments for games at BMO Field in Toronto, which has a synthetic surface.

The first game of the next round is currently scheduled for Aug. 20 against Jamaica at BMO Field.

"I think the main thing is finding a home ground where we can play," added De Rosario, a Scarborough, Ont., native. "In Montreal, it's beautiful stadium.

"I think Saputo has done a great job of putting together a great atmosphere. And if we continue to get results, why should we move anywhere else?"

Canada will have its work cut out for it in the next round, with no easy opponents. It has not qualified for the World Cup since its one and only appearance at the 1986 event in Mexico.

"I'm looking forward to that round," said De Rosario, the Houston Dynamo striker. "We've been playing well and in order to be the best, we have to beat the best."

Canadia captain Paul Stalteri said Canada has to toughest of the three four-team groups in the next round. The top two from each group advance to the final round to be played in 2009, with the best three or four from that going on to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"Again we have the hardest group in qualifying, like the last two World Cups," said Stalteri. "But in the end, you have to play everybody.

"We need to get off to a good start, because the last two times, we lost the first game and it made it very difficult for us."

Getting past St. Vincent, ranked 147th in the world to Canada's 60th, was a formality.

It rained hard for an hour before the match, which likely kept some fans at home, but the game opened in sunshine on a slick pitch.

The gold, green and blue-clad islanders pushed their players up and Canada played quick balls back to try to catch their defence off guard.

De Rosario, easily the player of the game, could have had a hat-trick in the first half, but he failed to control a pass from Gerba in front of a gaping St. Vincent goal in the 22nd minute.

He made no mistake in the 29th, slipping past defender Wesley Charles, cutting inside, deking Charles again and firing a shot into an open side.

Gerba, a Montreal native who also scored twice in a 3-0 win in St. Vincent on Sunday, was at the edge of the goal area to head in a De Rosario pass in the 38th minute.

In the 43rd, again it was De Rosario fielding a perfect pass from Issey Nakajima-Ferran, but he slipped on the wet grass and couldn't shoot.

When he got a pass from Tomasz Radzinski five minutes into the second half, De Rosario blasted it through goalkeeper Winslow McDowall's hands and into the net. And then he put a smart cross from the right side in that Gerba headed past McDowell in the 63rd minute for a 4-0 lead.

"We read each other very well," De Rosario said of Gerba. "It's just the cohesiveness of this team - we all read each other well."

St. Vincent never quit and the big striker James swept in on the right side and chipped the ball over 'keeper Pat Onstad in the 76th minute.

"That goal was big," said St. Vincent coach Stewart Hall. "In the first game, you (Canada) scored after 38 minutes, but it was nip and tuck up to then.

"This time, it was close for 25 minutes. If we'd have been a bit more clinical in front, we could have got more than one, but it's great for our boys."

St. Vincent had other moments, including one in the 73rd minute when substitute Alwyn Guy failed to control a set-up from James in front and managed only a weak rolling shot to Onstad.

Canada's Julian de Guzman and Radzinski were cautioned, the latter for giving a small shove to referee Joel Antonio Aguilar while St. Vincent's Cornelius Stewart was being booked.

"I know that on paper it looked easy, but I don't think any games are easy now," said Radzinski. "We're just glad that we made it.

"Hopefully we'll be back here in August and play another great game."

Notes: Injuries forced two lineup changes from the first leg for Canada. Gerba replaced Rob Friend (back spasms) as he did only seven minutes into the last game, and defender Adrian Cann took the place of Richard Hastings (abdominal strain). . . St. Vincent started midfielder Darren Hamlet in place of Richard Haydes and forward Shandell Samuel for Sean Glynn. . .The officials were from El Salvador.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080620/sports/soc_wcup_svg_cda

Boy, it sounds more and more like there is a player revolution underway regarding the stadium issue.

Allow me to be the first one to get a ticket. Thank you very much.

Archived