CAN SVG Post game

nolando

Onstad does not inspire confidence. He reminds me a lot of Paul Dolan, who at times was capable, but the arrival of Forrest was quite welcome. I'd give Hirschfeld or Sutton a chance to get the #1 position.

Regarding stadium...It's great we have a national stadium the national team does not want to play at. Hopefully, we can get a bigger grass stadium in Vancouver. 13,000 is too small. For those there, how was the atmosphere at Saputo ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love the players, they can't get all bitchy about the stadium. It's in the squad's best interest to garner support from all corners of the country. They talk about lack of funding and lack of marketing, well you have to be visible then. Suppose CEO from company X wants to invest in sport in Canada, they're going to be a lot more likely if they've just watched a match and were inspired by the product on the pitch.

What other country would have all of their matches in one stadium? They don't like the fieldturf, fine. But they should be willing to fly out west or down east (even if I think they should suck it up about the turf too).

btw, What is the lifetime of Fieldturf? If if gets worn out eventually, it will give an opportunity to revisit this question.

They're playing in Honduras 4 days before the Edmonton game, so it shouldn't be much of a problem either with respect to travelling. I am in favour of providing the whole nation with games. I would also prefer if they try to maximize potential advantages. Playing in Edmonton in October is a good choice - first due to the weather advantage, and second due to the fact it's more difficult for Mexican fans to flock the stadium as opposed to Toronto or Montreal.

Sexy Football! Ooh Aaah Ca-na-da!!

I'm starting to feel like I can have normal relations with my national team instead of the twisted, masochistic, sweet agony of times past.

The VAG was penetrated, repeatedly and effortlessly, and from every angle, with varying tempo.

Verrrrrrry sexy. [:P]

Ooh Aaah Canada, ooh aah canada.

Great game and good times ! All the Voyageurs had a great time. It was nice meeting many of the old and new. It was too bad many of us had to leave Bar 99 early, but the banners had to be raised.

It was unbelievable how many long time Voyageurs I met that never post on the site ! They read it everyday over the years, follow Canada religiously on road trips, but have never logged on. We will soon be freezing our distribution list to insure the enemy does not acquire our tickets. The more numbers we have, also gives us more clout with the CSA, sponsors, etc. For all you lurkers out there, log-on, and send Cheeta an e-mail.

I also want to officially announce that I have approximately a dozen official Canada-St Vincent promo posters that have been autographed by the entire team, courtesy of GM Morgan Quarry. They have been kept in a cardboard folder in pristine condition. They are now on sale for $50 plus $10 postage (BWA, could you post the photo, thanks).

This will be used as a fundraiser to fund whatever the masses choose (I think a nice Voyageurs flag is long overdue). Post on the board if interested and then drop me a line via Winnipeg Fury to work out details. You can also phone me 204-475-5659. Leave a detailed message and I will call you back if not home or you can`t afford the long distance.

I also want to give special kudo`s to the boys from the left coast ( Zach, Vancouver Fan, Brennan, Morbidal, Blue & White Army, Iain, Mina, Scottie, Yukon Mike) They brought over 50 lbs of banners with them all that way, assisted with the award presentation to Julian DeGuzman, took great photo`s and diligently posted them for all to see. Bar 99 won`t be the same without you and your chants !

John Billingsley and Morgan Quarry of the CSA also assisted and have earned a Voyageurs cheer. Morgan promised he would get every player to autograph all 25 (I`m giving a comp to everyone that assisted in the presentation) posters, and he came through. Morgan was great arranging the award presentation with me, and John made sure the overzealous Saputo security allowed all the red and white in for the presentation.

On another note, I have had preliminary discussions with the group that owns the Canadian soccer merchandise. I have discussed with the CSA as well, and will hopefully be arranging for them to advertise on the site and allow us to more conveniently buy the official Canadian goods that are near invisible across the country. This is a work in progress, but thought you may want to know.

We are also arranging registered Voyageurs special access to all the World Cup Qualifying matches, including the next one at BMO ( as told to us by the press). This will work similar to the St Vincent code, but with each venue, the situation is different, so will our situation.

I have to catch a plane, post if you want an autographed promo poster, $60 fund raiser.....Allez Les Rouges !

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

On another note, I have had preliminary discussions with the group that owns the Canadian soccer merchandise. I have discussed with the CSA as well, and will hopefully be arranging for them to advertise on the site and allow us to more conveniently buy the official Canadian goods that are near invisible across the country. This is a work in progress, but thought you may want to know.

That's great to hear! I've been trying to get my hands on a Canada soccer scarf... are they working on an online store?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

We will soon be freezing our distribution list to insure the enemy does not acquire our tickets.

So, how do you get on the distribution list? is it just a matter of being registered in this forum, or is there something more formal that needs to be done to be an "official" Voyageur?

Just got back about 1/2 hour ago. Last night was awesome. And I don't know who it was but props to who ever kept stopping the massive until it was done properly :). And we had a Phillips Bakery chant!!! Post my thoughts on the actual game later, but props to all the voyageurs there last night I had a blast.

I think that DeRo's position is in midfield, but to me it was clear that the attacking dupla was Gerba and DeRo. They clicked were well and I wouldn't change that. What I wonder is, who was the "other" forward together with Gerba in the lineup?

Re Onstead I believe that sooner or later in this qualification schedule that he will need to yield to more younger and dynamic keepers. But why would Mitchell be delaying this change. When during these rather "easy" games it would be ideal to use our younger keepers. Onstead will not get better and our young guys will start to rust.

Hard to criticize a 4-1 win, but there were still some things that were worrying.

Defending, especially set pieces, looked really shaky. At times our D looked unorganized and unable to deal with the speed of a couple of the VAG players. Cann, especially, looked out of place, and his lapse of concentration on the goal only capped off what was already a poor game in my mind. I'll be happy when both McKenna and Hastings are back in the squad.

And I have to echo what I read earlier - we have to be extremely disciplined and can't react to bad calls. We have to face up to the fact that CONCACAF officiating sucks and calls - critical calls - will go against us. When that happens, we absolutely have to keep our cool. That outburst from Radz was completely uncalled for and unprofessional. IMHO, he is lucky he didn't get tossed. After you get carded, you don't walk away from the ref and start prowling after the opposition looking like you are going to rip their head off. That was highly aggressive and provocative and, on another day, might have ended up really ugly.

I'm liking Issey starting, and I like the flexibility he and Radz show, switching wings on the fly. He is good now and will only get better with experience.

Hutch had another strong game. I think his contributions in the midfield are often overshadowed and he doesn't get nearly enough credit for his role. Both his skill on the ball and his passing are superb. We can't underestimate his contribution or how vital his role is/will be for 2010. He is just as integral, if not quite as high profile, as JDG in making our midfield tick. Remove him and we are by far a weaker team.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Re Onstead I believe that sooner or later in this qualification schedule that he will need to yield to more younger and dynamic keepers. But why would Mitchell be delaying this change. When during these rather "easy" games it would be ideal to use our younger keepers. Onstead will not get better and our young guys will start to rust.

Agree. Onstad has done a decent job, but it is just delaying the inevitable. I can't see us going to SA in 2 years with a 43 year old keeper.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Just got back about 1/2 hour ago. Last night was awesome. And I don't know who it was but props to who ever kept stopping the massive until it was done properly :). And we had a Phillips Bakery chant!!! Post my thoughts on the actual game later, but props to all the voyageurs there last night I had a blast.

That was daniel. He's also the one who handed out the cucumbers at the start.

quote:Originally posted by ovalroaster

didn't anyone else think stalteri looked totally weak-ass out there?

I didn't get a chance to see the whole game on TV, but from what I did see the big problem with Stalteri was consistency. While he made some nice passes leading to chances and even goals (Stalteri to Radzinski to De Rosario was the combination for the first goal), he also hit a free kick on the ground straight to a Vincy player, and made some other glaring mistakes.

From what I've seen of Stalteri, he is a decent team defender (gets into the right positions) but is often beaten one-on-one by quick players because of poor technique or some other reason.

I was happy with our players performance last night, but disapointed with the tactical setup of the team.

I don't understand how you can come out play a smooth possession game against Brazil of all teams, and then revert back to this old school channel football crap we saw last night. This team needs to pick a style and stick with it. Given our success using possession as the main tactic, i dont' think there's going to be much arguement which way we should go. Yes we scored four goals, but i think we can all agree this was an inferior opponent and we probably could have put in more and dominated possession using the right strategy.

3-2-3-1-1 is what worked best (given we did have friend at our disposal at that time) that's what we should have stuck with. It looked very much 4-4-2 last night.

One other thing, sportsnet had Farran starting as an AM: who is the genius who put him there? He's clearly a winger, and it was only like 20 minutes until we saw him drift out there anyways. De Guzman was playing too deep into the defense, he needed to be more advanced and in the attack!

One positive thing i will say is that despite some of the weakness shown in defense last night i thought Serioux was pretty solid.

They played the game like you would expect a vastly more talented team to play the second leg of a series in which they were up by three goals going in. Negativity is misplaced--I would suggest that more people who were at the park would agree.

7-1. Let's keep things in perspective. There will be plenty of time to get worked up about stuff in the semis.

Watched the game on TV. I must say, the large Canadian flag looked AWESOME!!! However, sportsnet sucked nutt sack for their camera work. Whenever they wanted a crowd shot of cheering canadians they would never show the supporters section?! WTf?

Regardless, it looked like a great turnout and the Vs chants could quite easily be heard during the broadcast. I especially remember JDG's name being chanted when he was subbed. very nice.

as for the game, yea I too have some concerns about us letting st Vag have so many oppertunities. Lets hope DM can fix that. Also, hate to say it people, but it looks to me like Onstad is DM's choice keeper for WCQ. Finally, I hope Cann doesn't see any time on the field during our WCQ campaign. We have better options at CB.

Okay here is my full match reactions now

The 4-2-3-1 really showcases the skills of Hutchinson, and DeRosario. Hutch really displayed a good defensive game against SVG and was one of Canada's better players on the defensive end of the ball, but didn't provided too much going forward. DeRo looked more confident then ever in this free-flowing forward role, he was the obvious MotM and we need to keep him happy and playing in a role where he is effective. Gerba also took advantage of his sole striker role in both games scoring four. But in Montreal DeGuzman was a waste of space! Not bashing Jules at all as he is usually head and shoulders the best player on the pitch for Canada. He was not getting forward at all and defensively he seemed to be consistently giving the SVG players too much space. He wasn't making any mistakes or being a hindrance, he just looked out of place and more ineffective than I have ever seen him in a Canadian kit. We cannot allow our midfield gem to be used like this.

I know the formation has taken a lot of heat when Mitchell has used it, but DeGuzman is much more effective in a 4-1-4-1. I know we can't adjust the entire set-up of our team just to tailor our team to one player, but I think the 4-1-4-1 really can be used to suit everyone's strength. DeGuzman looked brilliant in the central midfield position in a 4-1-4-1 against Costa Rica at BMO. He also had an MVP performance Gold Cup playing in that formation. It allows Jules to get forward and be the creator of Canada's attack. He can use his incredible passing range and that bullet of a shot he has. It also allows him to be more aggressive in his defending with a central defensive midfielder behind him. This is where Jules will get his chance to shine.

Hutchinson has also proven he can be valuable going forward, but I am starting to think his defensive skill more than outweighs his presence up front. He has speed and a good enough passing range that he can be that link between the back four and the midfielders/forward(s). If he were to take the Defensive midfield position I think Nsaliwa is a good fit for the other central midfield role. He showed against Brazil that he is one of the most creative players we have, and we know he has pace. I think Nsaliwa and DeGuzman could form a very good midfield partnership. The biggest issue with him is obviously the passport problems.

In the 4-1-4-1 there is one lone striker (Friend with Gerba on the bench), but he is always supported by the two wide players who are really more like attacking midfielders or supporting forwards. The players fit to play in these roles are Radzinski, Hume, Issey and of course DeRo. These positions are free attacking roles, with the wide-backs getting up to support the midfield more consistently. The players in these "free attacking" postions would also be encouraged to switch often to confuse defenders as was done with against SVG with Issey, Radz, and DeRo. Something that didn't happen too often in Montreal, and we know Stalteri has a presence going forward.

So starting XI would look something like this in a 4-1-4-1

------------------Onstad---------------

-Stalteri----Serioux----Hastings---Klukowski-

-----------------Hutchinson-------------

---------DeGuzman-------Nsaliwa--------

-DeRosario---------------------Radzinski-

-----------------Friend----------------

Anyways really enjoyed the match, lots of positive signs from the team fun night. Sorry I didn't show up at Pub 99 before the match, when I got to my hotel there was a bar and some Canadian supporters watching the Euro match there and decided just to watch with them. Hope you guys had fun there. But I had a lot of fun at the match with the voyageurs, thanks to all who came and made for a fantastic atmosphere.

Allez les Rouges!

Well, I'm glad we have officially taken the first step. A few comments:

The team in general looked a bit sloppy and unmotivated, but I suspect this was a tough one to get up for. I hope they step it up against better competition.

Cann - Perhaps he has value as support if we get killed with injuries, but with McKenna and Edgar back soon, I hope we don't see him on the field in an important game. The strikers in the next round would eat him alive.

Radz - I expected a bit more from him. Maybe games like these don't motivate him. And he has to be careful. We don't want him to overreact to chippy play and get a stupid card in the next round.

Onstad - He was OK, but I want Hirsch to play Jamaica. But I expect DM will stick with the formula so far.

Hainault - Why has DM ignored him over Cann so far?

Jason

Archived