May 27 - Voyageurs Cup: Montreal vs Toronto [R]

A quick comment and two questions:

Club kits should not be at a Canada game. I could see using a TFC jersey for a NT game *IN TORONTO* because of the colour and it won't bother the locals, but that is about it. When playing elsewhere, just wear plain red if you don't have a Canada kit.

Does anyone know if there is a new kit out? I was at my local soccer store last week and they still had the silly collar. I would like to know if something different is expected soon because I don't want to settle for that and then see something better come out for WCQ.

The other question is about the Sutton transfer and a TFC friendly in Montreal. Wasn't it part of the deal that TFC agreed to play a friendly in Montreal in either 2007 or 2008? Unless something else has been worked out, that should still be on. If so, then I hope a better job is done with security and babysitting that handful of retards.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by KAS

A quick comment and two questions:

Club kits should not be at a Canada game. I could see using a TFC jersey for a NT game *IN TORONTO* because of the colour and it won't bother the locals, but that is about it. When playing elsewhere, just wear plain red if you don't have a Canada kit.

Does anyone know if there is a new kit out? I was at my local soccer store last week and they still had the silly collar. I would like to know if something different is expected soon because I don't want to settle for that and then see something better come out for WCQ.

The other question is about the Sutton transfer and a TFC friendly in Montreal. Wasn't it part of the deal that TFC agreed to play a friendly in Montreal in either 2007 or 2008? Unless something else has been worked out, that should still be on. If so, then I hope a better job is done with security and babysitting that handful of retards.

Their is a new kit and their's pics of it here.

It's kinda fugly and someone that's coming w/ us bought it and made the comment that she's going to look like a "ladybug" lol. I prefer the prior one myself and that's what I have and going to wear.

But it's not easy to find a Canada kit.

Lucky for me here in Guelph, theirs a soccer store and the guy that runs it is a Canadian soccer fan so he tries to order in Canadian kits (and does), unlike the Adidas megastore that seems to carry EVERY team kit EXCEPT Canada. I find this truly pathetic. Don't even get me started on SportChek... :(

As for another TFC friendly, I hope not! July is already going to be packed with games! The guys need a rest!

Maybe next year though.

Although the CONCACAF match could have taken the friendly's place?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

2 or 3 years ago I could buy this argument. Yet in recent times it has actually become pretty easy to buy a Canada kit. If I wanted to buy one tomorrow I could at several stores within walking distance of my house. There is also that rather old invention called the internet, ie. you could buy one pretty easy if you lived at the North Pole and have it within a week. If people can't find one if their life depended on it as you claim they must be pretty inept. If you are spending the money to come to Montreal for a Canada game then spend the money to buy a Canada shirt. If you can't buy one wear a red shirt but not a club shirt. A Canada match is the place to wear a Canada shirt, it is simple as that.

Well I would love the entire stadium to be wearing Canada jerseys, that is not likely.

Nor is wearing a Canadian jersey mandatory for watching/participating in a Canadian international. I doubt 10% of the fans will be wearing one anywhere in Canada, and that is fine. But there is no excuse for not wearing red. I don't care if it's a red Che Guevera t-shirt.

This is where I strongly disagree with you and Rudi. This is a Canada match and what is required is Canada kit. This is normal in all the world. If Germany is playing in Dortmund the Munich fans don't come wearing Bayern kit. I personally don't care if people want to wear TFC jerseys but many Montreal fans do and I respect their feelings. I would estimate maybe 1/3 of the Ultras Montreal will show up for this match but there will also be plenty of other non-Ultra Montreal fans. Nobody is ordering people not to wear their colours and I don't think there will be any threat of violence to those who do. Yet, there is also a question of respectful behaviour. Canada is playing at our stadium and we welcome anyone supporting Canada from wherever they are. Wearing club colours at a Canada match is not supporting Canada it is supporting your club. This is disrespectful to the many Montreal fans who do not like TFC because it is our rival but who otherwise would welcome you to support Canada together. Yes you have a legal right to wear what you want. You also have a legal right to be a stubborn ass. I am personally asking people to have a bit of respect for the club that is hosting this match. At a Canada game everyone should be wearing Canada kit, end of story. I will lose a lot of respect for those who want to stubborn asses and come to a Canada match dressed as a TFC fans.

I wasn't referring to the fact that I will be wearing a TFC shirt (I won't, as I've had my Canada jersey far longer than my TFC one and Iwill be wearing it with pride), but rather I was agreeing with db's statement that it seems like TFC supporters aren't welcome.

How many posters on this board, who are Ultras, consider themselves Canada supporters? I know Mpenza has gone out of his way to say he's not. His pal Trident supports a First Nation, I think. The only ones I can think of are Grizzly and Daniel, the latter being very quiet here of late. I guess Kurosawa too, but I was told he's not an Ultra.

Similarly, I'd be curious to know how many RPB have become Canada supporters? I notice guys like Silver Samurai have been very active posters. I poked some fun at the RPB earlier, but they seem to be adding to the Voyageurs numbers -perhaps significantly. Defintely an encouraging trend.

In spite of that beautiful pitch, I'm becoming more skeptical of Montreal as a base for WCQ. It's probably over reacting, but this thread has contributed to that feeling. I probably wasn't very nice to the Belgian, but his "I would have come out to St VAG and give a few cheers if the Vs weren't persecuting me" somehow strikes me as a prevalent Ultra attitude. I notice that the Vs poster Tractor Boy is part of our Seattle contingent today. I've never met the guy, but I overheard him at the Caps game and it sounds like he got off the Davey Crockett a week ago. Still it wouldn't surprise me if he out sings us all tonight. Just one example of someone embracing our football culture and making it stronger, rather than trying to manufacture something European over here.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

How many posters on this board, who are Ultras, consider themselves Canada supporters? I know Mpenza has gone out of his way to say he's not. His pal Trident supports a First Nation, I think. The only ones I can think of are Grizzly and Daniel, the latter being very quiet here of late. I guess Kurosawa too, but I was told he's not an Ultra.

Similarly, I'd be curious to know how many RPB have become Canada supporters? I notice guys like Silver Samurai have been very active posters. I poked some fun at the RPB earlier, but they seem to be adding to the Voyageurs numbers -perhaps significantly. Defintely an encouraging trend.

In spite of that beautiful pitch, I'm becoming more skeptical of Montreal as a base for WCQ. It's probably over reacting, but this thread has contributed to that feeling. I probably wasn't very nice to the Belgian, but his "I would have come out to St VAG and give a few cheers if the Vs weren't persecuting me" somehow strikes me as a prevalent Ultra attitude. I notice that the Vs poster Tractor Boy is part of our Seattle contingent today. I've never met the guy, but I overheard him at the Caps game and it sounds like he got off the Davey Crockett a week ago. Still it wouldn't surprise me if he out sings us all tonight. Just one example of someone embracing our football culture and making it stronger, rather than trying to manufacture something European over here.

Oh lawd...

Montreal doesnt like Toronto fans, ok.

Toronto vans, Vancouver fans, can all come to Montreal to watch a Canada game, things get put aside for country matches, across the world.

And concerning the treatment of Mpenza, his (mild, concerning the circumstances) reaction was justified.

Come to Canada to support Canada, No Club teams. Then that guarantees no trouble.

[^]

[|)]

[:o)]

[8D]

Relax, all this **** is in the past, time to let go, we have.

This is where I strongly disagree with you and Rudi. This is a Canada match and what is required is Canada kit. This is normal in all the world. If Germany is playing in Dortmund the Munich fans don't come wearing Bayern kit. I personally don't care if people want to wear TFC jerseys but many Montreal fans do and I respect their feelings. I would estimate maybe 1/3 of the Ultras Montreal will show up for this match but there will also be plenty of other non-Ultra Montreal fans. Nobody is ordering people not to wear their colours and I don't think there will be any threat of violence to those who do. Yet, there is also a question of respectful behaviour. Canada is playing at our stadium and we welcome anyone supporting Canada from wherever they are. Wearing club colours at a Canada match is not supporting Canada it is supporting your club. This is disrespectful to the many Montreal fans who do not like TFC because it is our rival but who otherwise would welcome you to support Canada together. Yes you have a legal right to wear what you want. You also have a legal right to be a stubborn ass. I am personally asking people to have a bit of respect for the club that is hosting this match. At a Canada game everyone should be wearing Canada kit, end of story. I will lose a lot of respect for those who want to stubborn asses and come to a Canada match dressed as a TFC fans.

I'm sorry that we have to disagree with each other on this point but such is life.

If I can't go into that bar wearing a TFC shirt, if a DC fan cannot enter that bar wearing a DC shirt, or a NYRB supporter cannot go into that bar wearing a NYRB shirt, then I'll never go into that bar even if I am wearing a Canada shirt.

Not interested.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Oh lawd...

Montreal doesnt like Toronto fans, ok.

Toronto vans, Vancouver fans, can all come to Montreal to watch a Canada game, things get put aside for country matches, across the world.

And concerning the treatment of Mpenza, his (mild, concerning the circumstances) reaction was justified.

Come to Canada to support Canada, No Club teams. Then that guarantees no trouble.

[^]

[|)]

[:o)]

[8D]

Relax, all this **** is in the past, time to let go, we have.

So I take it no Vincy Heat jerseys are welcome in Montreal ?

quote:Originally posted by RudiI wasn't referring to the fact that I will be wearing a TFC shirt (I won't, as I've had my Canada jersey far longer than my TFC one and Iwill be wearing it with pride), but rather I was agreeing with db's statement that it seems like TFC supporters aren't welcome.

All Canada supporters are welcome regardless of where they are from or which team they support but they are welcome as Canada supporters because it is a Canada match. Club or supporter group colours have no place at national team matches. The only reason to wear club or supporter group colours is to represent this club or group. Why would anyone want to do this at a national team game when we are supposed to be unified in our support for Canada? What is the motivation to wear TFC colours at a Canada game in Montreal? We are supporting Canada and the Voyageurs are the national team supporters group. We should be turned out as Canada fans and Voyageurs and nothing else. Is that not why we managed to get a section of the stadium reserved for ourselves?

There is a thread on the Ultras site about who is going to the game and there are several going who post there but not here. Also there are many Ultras who post neither here nor on the Ultras site and I know at least a few of these are also attending, including a friend of mine who bought 5 tickets. As I said before I would estimate 1/3 of the Ultras are going but it is pretty hard to say until the match. Regardless there will be plenty of Montrealers there. When I was buying my tickets at the Portland game I told a couple of other fans in line to buy tickets to future Impact games and convinced them to also buy tickets for this game.

Well I try to be active. lol- But I have a good chunk of down time at work so I delay doing homework, so I'm on here and on the RPB boards a lot. Prob too much for my own good. But alas, I love my footy. :D

I remember as a kid I would always ask my parents "Why isn't Canada in the World Cup" to which they would say they didn't know and found it hard to believe, but would tell me about remembering watching Canada in the World Cup in '86. I don't remember since I was 4, but my parents NEVER pressured me into supporting their country as they know I am Canadian and don't have the sentiments and customs they have. Anyways I'm getting off topic here...

I could see someone wearing a TFC kit, because it's red. Only reason. I don't think anyone would wear a TFC kit to spite or run it in the face of the Montreal Ultras (and if they did, then they're stupid). Same if the Montrealers came to BMO for the next round in the qualifiers wearing Impact gear. Although I might think it would be odd to wear a blue kit when the nation team colours are red and white. But if someone wore a Canada kit and an Impact/'Caps scarf, I wouldn't give them a "Who are ya" unless you were an ass and deserved it and in that case you'd be worthy of a "Who are ya" regardless.

Anyways would be great to have our entire section at Saputo in red and white. Sadly my luchador mask won't be either colour so you'll have to deal with it ;) [:P] lol

I will raise my hand up and admit that less than 3 years ago I didn't follow the Canadian National teams nearly as much as I do now. Not to say I wasn't fan of soccer in itself (I watched several SPL, EPL, and Scottish National Team games live while living overseas); but the Canadian National Teams just really didn't have a lot of appeal to me until very recently with the U-20 Championship. I'm actually taking my daughter to her first-ever Canadian Women's soccer match July 10th and several other TFC fans I know will likely be there as well. Definitely encouraging news.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

I could see someone wearing a TFC kit, because it's red. Only reason. I don't think anyone would wear a TFC kit to spite or run it in the face of the Montreal Ultras (and if they did, then they're stupid). Same if the Montrealers came to BMO for the next round in the qualifiers wearing Impact gear. Although I might think it would be odd to wear a blue kit when the nation team colours are red and white. But if someone wore a Canada kit and an Impact/'Caps scarf, I wouldn't give them a "Who are ya" unless you were an ass and deserved it and in that case you'd be worthy of a "Who are ya" regardless.

I have a few red Liverpool kits but you wont see me wearing them at a Canada game. It's CANADA your supporting. Just because your watching a soccer game it doesn't mean that you have to wear a RED KIT, get a cheap red plain t-shirt. Thats class if you ask me.

PS. Im talking to everyone in general.

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

I have a few red Liverpool kits but you wont see me wearing them at a Canada game. It's CANADA your supporting. Just because your watching a soccer game it doesn't mean that you have to wear a RED KIT, get a cheap red plain t-shirt. Thats class if you ask me.

I agree with you. Easier said than done. People are weird (in general)

But to help out those in need is why I posted up the link to the Canada merch on sale in another thread. $40 for a kit (even if it is the prior model) is a friggin steal! Ladies kits for $25 is an even better steal (if you're a lady that is) [:X]

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

Exactly.

And As long as you are there for Canada, then there's no trouble.( I'm saying that for people along the lines of Rudi who have tears welling up in their eyes about the perceived notion they aren't allowed to a bar.)

[8D]

Exactly.

And As long as you are there for Canada, then there's no trouble.( I'm saying that for people along the lines of Rudi who have tears welling up in their eyes about the perceived notion they aren't allowed to a bar.)

[8D]

You really are a jerkoff.

I've been to more Canada games than you've seen on TV. I couldn't care less about going to your crap little bar, but I do care about the arrogant attitude that idiots like you have towards fellow Canadian supporters who just happen to be from big, bad Toronto.

"As long as you are there for Canada"

What the hell else would we be there for? The charming local band of hyper-territorial Impact supporters?

Exactly.

[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

You really are a jerkoff.

I've been to more Canada games than you've seen on TV. I couldn't care less about going to your crap little bar, but I do care about the arrogant attitude that idiots like you have towards fellow Canadian supporters who just happen to be from big, bad Toronto.

What the hell else would we be there for? The charming local band of hyper-territorial Impact supporters?

This type of stuff is exactly why I think we should discourage people from wearing club or supporter group colours. We need to be unified as a group and get along and the way to do this is to wear Canada colours and represent the Voyageurs. Club and supporter's groups colours will introduce animosity into things. Whether one thinks this animosity should occur or not is immaterial, that is what will happen so lets just avoid this and all show up as Canada fans and in Canada colours only.

Guest Jeffery S.

As far as I am concerned you never wear your club colours to an international game unless you are a neutral fan, like going to the World Cup and watching Ghana-Poland, wear your Impact-TFC shirt by all means.

Otherwise you are erring. How many Bayern Munich shirts did you see amongst Germany supporters, or Real Madrid shirts amongst Spain supporters, and so on? The odd freak, never more than one out of a thousand maybe.

If you don't have a kit or shirt from your national team then wear what you want, a Canada Tire shirt, who cares. There is no rule on having to wear team colours, but I agree that you should keep club rivalries out of it, and the reasons are obvious.

This type of stuff is exactly why I think we should discourage people from wearing club or supporter group colours. We need to be unified as a group and get along and the way to do this is to wear Canada colours and represent the Voyageurs. Club and supporter's groups colours will introduce animosity into things. Whether one thinks this animosity should occur or not is immaterial, that is what will happen so lets just avoid this and all show up as Canada fans and in Canada colours only.

Everyone who shows up to cheer on the Canadian team is doing so "as Canada fans."

While I don't plan on wearing TFC gear to any Canada match, I think this pre-emptive animosity from some people on here towards anyone who does is incredibly childish and territorial.

I'm not even sure how this thread took this turn, but to me it just smacks of petty regionalism. I do agree that optimally everyone should be in Canada jerseys at a Canada match, but the reality is that only a very small percentage of people in this country own any Canada soccer gear (for one reason or another).

At the Canada-Costa Rica friendly last year, Atiba Hutchinson's family and friends were two rows behind me in the U-Sector section. They were all wearing different variations of Hutchinson's club jerseys, and they were just as loudly cheering on Canada as anyone else in the stands (some of them were even playing drums alongside some of our regular drummers). Should we have told them to piss off because they were wearing club jerseys at a national team match?

How about this? Last time I looked, this is CANADA. I seem to recall it's a country where anybody can attend a sporting event anywhere in the country wearing anything they wanted without being physically threatened by some idiot.

The only "requirement" for sitting in the supporters section is a ticket.

Period.

Yeesh!

With the introduction of this new tournament and the first matches between TFC and the Impact, it was probably inevitable that this crap would happen at some point and would need to be sorted out. I'm just surprised that it has happened so fast. In other countries, where clubs have existed and despised each other for over a century, certain rules have arisen to deal with issues like this. I don't think it should take very long for supporters here to follow suit.

If even the most brain-dead, knuckle-dragging, Neanderthals among the Bhoys and Gers can put aside their differences and stand together at Hampden to cheer on Scotland (atleast the Bhoys who don't include a ferry in their commute), then I think we can work something out for Canada games. I am proud to be the son of a Glaswegian, but I never want to see the day when they are more civilized at a soccer game than Canadians.

NO TORONTO/MONTREAL/VANCOUVER CLUB KITS AT CANADA GAMES! WEAR A CANADA KIT, VOYAGEUR SCARF, OR JUST A PLAIN RED SHIRT!

It is really not that hard guys. Wear a Canada jersey and you can walk into any bar in this country knowing that any idiot who doesn't want you there will be vastly outnumbered. If there are a couple of UM02 guys who don't like seeing Toronto fans in their bar, then that is their problem. A fan in a Canada Jersey is like the International Red Cross in war - they have permission to travel across all territorial lines.

I've been to more Canada games than you've seen on TV.

OK.

I couldn't care less about going to your crap little bar, but I do care about the arrogant attitude that idiots like you have towards fellow Canadian supporters who just happen to be from big, bad Toronto.

I don't have an arrogant attitude to Torontonian Voyageurs, I've always been saying it's Canada jerseys at a canada game, or red, just to avoid any problems that MIGHT arise.

I mean that in a sense you are there supporting Canada, wearing national team ****, no clubs allowed.

And about Atiba's family: of course not, don't be an idiot, they wear club jerseys of their family member, of course they are allowed to wear the shirts.

I have never told anyone not to do anything. Everyone can do anything they want, but I suggest things, to avoid trouble, of which there is a minor chance of happening.

I don't like TFC fans, but when it's a Canada game, you are canada fans, not TFC fans.

Archived