More Tam news

Jimmy

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

Is Tam the dude that was havin problems getting the OK to suit up for the national team?

He was having citizenship issues, but he has something like 20-odd caps for Canada.

I've had Tam in the "wishful thinking" category for the last while, so if he really is available, that clouds the midfield picture significantly. In general, you want your best players on the field, and though I haven't seen him play besides a few goal clips, I'd include Tam along with De Guzman and Atiba. How to make room for all 3? Do we play Hutchinson on the left where he's been all season for his club? But we already have so many options there including De Rosario and Josh Simpson. And what about Imhof?

I think this definitely spells the end for Bernier as an important contributor if everyone is healthy.

Maybe Jaime Peters is just coming to Seattle to watch the match. Room for him in the Vs section?

It would truly be great news if in fact Tam gets his elegibility issues sorted out! He would be my first choice to play the defensive mf role, with Imhof there as cover! Bernier has looked alright there at times, but he seems to be inconsistent! This is CONCACAF, we need all the depth possible due to cards and injuries!

Having Tam available is one of them nice hardships. It gives us good options in many areas.

First off: Where is Atiba playing with his club these days? Is he playing up front? If so--and he IS scoring--then maybe we play Atiba in a more advanced role, and let Tam and Jules work the centre of the pitch. Imhof in behind them.

An idea:

Sutton (or Lars)

Stalteri McKenna Kluka Brennan

Imhof

Hutch Jules Atiba DeRo

Friend

Or, and more offense-minded line-up

Sutton

Radzinski Julian Nsaliwa Dero

Hutch Friend

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

First off: Where is Atiba playing with his club these days? Is he playing up front? If so--and he IS scoring--then maybe we play Atiba in a more advanced role, and let Tam and Jules work the centre of the pitch.

I've watched several FC Copenhagen matches this season over one of the P2P streaming services, and in all but one he was lined up as the left-sided midfielder in a 4-4-2. He tended to drift into the middle from time to time, but never for very long.

Incidentally, if you're not at work, you can catch Atiba in action and see for yourself, starting in about 10 minutes:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=12329∂=sports

Hutch Friend

From last year's Venezuela game and Costa Rica GC match I really liked what I saw of Hutch working in a more advanced attacking mid role in conjunction with Friend. Hopefully the Nsaliw situation pans out.

Guest Jeffery S.

I saw the two games vs. Sevilla and thought he was sharp and active, and if he resembles anyone it is Julian. If he can play further back that is fine, but I think he has the goods to go forwards and defend, not just be a utility player. As he was beside Rivaldo he obviously was ceding creative play to him, so that is a bit similar to Julian's set up, hanging back a bit though capable of going forwards. He is dynamic, fit, decent passer, hard working in defence. Perfect by me.

You have a midfield with Tam, Julian and Atiba and you have a lot of talent going both ways. Add someone to hold who they can go help if you want, or ignore if you have to attack, meaning playing with two strikers. I mean, I like our 4-3-3 and think we have players like DeRo and Radz and Issey who it suits, Friend and Gerba and Hume to play striker, but if you have real talent in one spot why not exploit it to the maximum? And our talent right now is above all in the middle of the field.

Tam would also be some much needed cover at RB! Although we have several options at the LB position, we don't have at RB! Diesel looked good at the run in for Fulham, he does have a habit of picking up cards and has been injured!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You have a midfield with Tam, Julian and Atiba and you have a lot of talent going both ways. Add someone to hold who they can go help if you want, or ignore if you have to attack, meaning playing with two strikers. I mean, I like our 4-3-3 and think we have players like DeRo and Radz and Issey who it suits, Friend and Gerba and Hume to play striker, but if you have real talent in one spot why not exploit it to the maximum? And our talent right now is above all in the middle of the field.

No argument here, considering that DeGuzman, Hutch and Nsaliwa have demonstrated that they are versatile enough to play either in defensive or offensive roles. Included in the attack minded players you mention I would add also that Imhoff and Bernier provide defensive savvy should we need to "kill off" the latter stages of a match in order to ensure a result, especially in an away tie.

This is great news. Tam was always one of my favourites and its good to see him back in the fold.

As for the formation talk, maybe its time we move to a 3-5-2 type formation to ensure we get all of our best players on the pitch at the same time. Sure, it could be risky defensively, but if you plug the midfield effectively enough, it may not even matter.

Having Tam available is one of them nice hardships. It gives us good options in many areas.

First off: Where is Atiba playing with his club these days? Is he playing up front? If so--and he IS scoring--then maybe we play Atiba in a more advanced role, and let Tam and Jules work the centre of the pitch. Imhof in behind them.

An idea:

Sutton (or Lars)

Imhof

Hutch Jules Atiba DeRo

Friend

Or, and more offense-minded line-up

Sutton

Hutch Friend

You make it look like Sutton is more offensive minded than Lars ;)

Great news about Tam.

If both are healthy, I m not really sure if Tam is a starter over Imhoff who has been a starter in the B1 for the whole year. What kind of season did Tam have in Greece, I remember that he wasn<t playing for a while but can t remember if it was because of an injury.

Anyways, great addition to the squad and it certainly gives DM more option in midfield and defense. I m very happy about this.

we cannot deviate from our 4-1-4-1 formation at this stage, way too late in the process.

i don't think tam is right for the defensive mid option. that is a very one dimensional role, and it suits imhof perfectly.

IMO, tam should take over Radzinski's spot on the right. Radz is old, and has never really produced for us. why wait for him to fail again? Tam is coming of tremendous success, his career is on the upswing, he is in his prime. he should definitely start, if available. Radz speed, whatevers left of it, will be most useful in a sub role.

----------Friend

-deRo--deGuz--Hutch--Tam (OR Hutch-deGuz-Tam-DeRo)

-----------Imhof

Brennan-Kluka-McKenna-Stalteri

----------Hirsch

Subs

F: Occean, Gerba

Wingers: Radz, Issey, Hume, Simpson

Mid: Bernier, Serioux

D: Hastings, Poz

G: Sutton

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

As for the formation talk, maybe its time we move to a 3-5-2 type formation to ensure we get all of our best players on the pitch at the same time. Sure, it could be risky defensively, but if you plug the midfield effectively enough, it may not even matter.

I won't weigh in on the pros and cons of such a formation, but I will say that your suggestion may be of benefit to a guy like Adrian Serioux, who I believe is used to playing in a three man back line with Dallas on a fairly regular basis.

Centre back is still the achilles heel of our MNT and though I am sure someone here will suggest that Nsaliwa be slotted in that position, I'd much rather see him in midfield for us.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

we cannot deviate from our 4-1-4-1 formation at this stage, way too late in the process.

i don't think tam is right for the defensive mid option. that is a very one dimensional role, and it suits imhof perfectly.

IMO, tam should take over Radzinski's spot on the right. Radz is old, and has never really produced for us. why wait for him to fail again? Tam is coming of tremendous success, his career is on the upswing, he is in his prime. he should definitely start, if available. Radz speed, whatevers left of it, will be most useful in a sub role.

----------Friend

-deRo--deGuz--Hutch--Tam (OR Hutch-deGuz-Tam-DeRo)

-----------Imhof

Brennan-Kluka-McKenna-Stalteri

----------Hirsch

Subs

F: Occean, Gerba

Wingers: Radz, Issey, Hume, Simpson

Mid: Bernier, Serioux

D: Hastings, Poz

G: Sutton

I don't think we have ever played 4-1-4-1, nor that we can be lauding Tam playing in Greece and despising one of Greece's best and most unlikely strikers this season, Radzinski.

It is called a 4-3-3 like it or not, and Tam is not going to play wing. Get in line soldier!

Tam mostly played Right Mid for us back in the holger days. against Hungary, he owned the right wing and he was playing RB. he can play there just fine. or in the middle, whatever, just think he should play.

I cannot imagine a 34 year old Radzinki bettering his production from 4 years ago (ie zero goals in 4 games played, as striker).

but if everyone else happens to have confidence in radzinski, i will fall in line and follow blindly.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the way Radz has played this season, or the way he's played for us in recent friendlies.

My Depth Chart:

----------Lars/Sutton/Onstad-----------

Stalteri---McKenna---Klukowski--Brennan/DeJong

-----------------Imhof--------------------

Radz-----de Guzman-----Hutchinson----DeRo

------------------Friend-----------------

GK's: We have 3 guys i'd be ok with in net. Pick the in-form player.

DEF: Ledgerwood or Tam as cover for RB. Hainault, Edgar and Serioux cover at CB. De Jong or Brennan starting at LB, with the other and Jazic as cover.

MF: Bernier and Tam cover at DM, Issey and Hume cover at RM, Tam can rotate around and be cover in the middle too (as could DeRo who plays C-Mid at Houston - in fact, we could switch DeRo and Hutch), Simpson cover on the left wing.

FOR: Occean and Gerba as the #2 and 3 forwards.

Wow! This is great news! It never hurts to have another midfielder playing for a great club!

I was always perplexed as to why this situation was taking so long to rectify. Obviously if he's played for us in the past he should always be eligible.

Anyways. I don't really care which formation we use against St V because we should get results either way. I actually fear our problem may be at striker, because if Friend doesn't show up or gets injured who else can play lone striker? Occean? Gerba?

Archived