This result is a disgrace

Lomonty

Mitchell should be relieved and put someone in who has the balls and smarts to coach for results. The conditions were bad granted but no way should we lose to Estonia our talent is superior our coach, why isn't the hottest striker in Germany starting? why isn't Imhoff starting when conditions are like this . Fahqin guy can't adapt to a situation. Anything this team accomplishes is in spite of Mitchell.

quote:Friend didn't start because he had played 90 minutes less than 48 hours earlier.

Yet he still went 45 minutes in the second half? Give him the first 45 to esthablish him and see what happens, Gerba shoulda entered at half

the question we should be asking is how many chances will mitchell get? With hart doing so well at the gold cup (with most the same players mitchell has) and dasovic producing a strong showing for the u-23s without much preparation, will the CSA and especially the fans put up with poor performances. Even if we win our qualifying series, if the performances are poor, will a change be made? Knowing the CSA, the answer will be no and the semi-final grouping will be a long disappointing experience

Regarding the other coaches, we need to keep things in perspective. Dasovic did well without preparation, undoubtedly, but the U-23s did only manage to win 1 of 5 matches. Hart did well at the GC, but there was a loss to Guadeloupe in the mix. And VPjr has repeatedly asserted that the players were running that team and Hart was merely along for the ride. I'm not sure what to make of that but I would be surprised if there wasn't at least a grain of truth to that.

I'm not exactly excited about Mitchell's results so far, but to answer the questions "how many chances will mitchell get?" my answer is: Let him show what he can do in a competitive match. As fans we get pretty excited about friendlies but in the grand scheme of things they are pretty meaningless. It's unfortunate that Mitchell's first set of competitive matches will also be Canada's most important games in 4 years, but that's not his fault.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

We're calling the Olympic Qualifying a 'strong showing' now??? oh my...

I choked when I read that, too.

There is currently no Canadian qualified to coach our team (Dasovic is not an option). Let's go retro and get Tony Waiters back.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I choked when I read that, too.

There is currently no Canadian qualified to coach our team (Dasovic is not an option). Let's go retro and get Tony Waiters back.

Or, we can do what the rest of the world does when they don't have adequate domestic coaches....they find foreign ones.

Coaches at that level are mercenaries. the CSA needs to suck it up and bring in the best coach they can find. Consider it an investment for the future. If they hire a really good coach who gets them to the World Cup, the financial benefits (including the $10 million of FIFA money) would hugely outweigh what it costs to bring that coach in.

I just don't think the players want to play for Dale. I won't put too much weight on today's game but if we don't see a big turnaround in the next 2 matches, people will be calling for the axe to fall and it will be entirely justified.

My memory is not the best...has the CSA ever sacked a MNT coach in the run up to a WCQ campaign in the last 20-30 years.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

"how many chances will mitchell get?" my answer is: Let him show what he can do in a competitive match.

If Mitchell can even win friendlies against much lower ranked teams, I don't think he has a chance in hell to win a competitive match. The team will not respond to him and he will mess it up and blame the referee, waterboy, who knows.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

My memory is not the best...has the CSA ever sacked a MNT coach in the run up to a WCQ campaign in the last 20-30 years.

No, as that would require an understanding of what is actually going on.

If we keep Dale, we will not make it to the WC - I guess I really don't have to worry about the CSA taking credit for a successful qualification. I am not basing this on today's game. I was never in favor of him.

We must be the only country in the world to promote a coach after a disastrous tournament (wait, wasn't it two disastrous tournaments).

Un-gnikcuf-Believable.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

No, as that would require an understanding of what is actually going on.

If we keep Dale, we will not make it to the WC - I guess I really don't have to worry about the CSA taking credit for a successful qualification. I am not basing this on today's game. I was never in favor of him.

We must be the only country in the world to promote a coach after a disastrous tournament (wait, wasn't it two disastrous tournaments).

Un-gnikcuf-Believable.

Holger got the chop about a year before the WCQ rounds. (I'm not sure if "chop" is the right term. Sharpe told Holger he was a fu'k up and Holger told Sharpe the CSA was a dead-end fu'k up organization so the two parties parted company on mutual agreement. May be one of those rare instances where both parties were right).

Miller steered the ship for the 1st few months before the Frankie Yallop Experience mis-adventure took over.

No matter what anyone thinks it's too late now. Short of a tragic medical condition Mitch will lead this autumns WCQing crusade.

I think if the players rallied & spoke to the CSA about getting rid of Mitchell (like they did with Holger) then it might happen. But in order for that to happen the players would have to be convinced that the coach that continually calls those same players over & over again is the reason why those same players aren't succeeding. I doubt that will happen after the Estonia match.

The disgrace was in the weather they played in. This was probably the best competition that would play us in Europe. It looked like both teams on the pitch would have preferred to play almost anywhere in Canada. Love that most of our boys didn't wear leggings or gloves.

Canada had the run of play but for a couple of feeble attempts by Estonia in the first half. They seemed to fail to rise above the challenges presented. There were chances for Canada in the second half but one could see their frustration mounting with shirts pulled and hand balls not given.

i think we're all in agreement that we could do better than Dale but he's in till the road to the World cup is over. The CSA don't move fast enough to change now...even if they wanted to.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Regarding the other coaches, we need to keep things in perspective. Dasovic did well without preparation, undoubtedly, but the U-23s did only manage to win 1 of 5 matches. Hart did well at the GC, but there was a loss to Guadeloupe in the mix. And VPjr has repeatedly asserted that the players were running that team and Hart was merely along for the ride. I'm not sure what to make of that but I would be surprised if there wasn't at least a grain of truth to that.

We won 2, tied 1 and lost 2

This game means nothing and no one should be judged based on it. I mean so what if a guy can't play in snow, realistically its not exactly one of the main factors we are looking for in choosing a player. I suspect Mitchell does'nt get the best out of his players and his tactics may be poor but this game does'nt validate or exculude any of that just a poor waste of a game unfortunately.

I guess strong showing might not be the right wording but I would hope everyone here wouldn't care how strong the performance was as long as it generated a qualification (which it didn't). By Canadian standards 3rd out of 8 teams no matter how many ties are involved can't be that bad. Yeah I know the problem is that as frustrated fans we are looking for more than typical canadian standards and results... My only fear is that unless Mitchell can get the best out of the boys come WC qualifying time, our "strong performance" by the U-23s might be the best we see in 2008.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

We're calling the Olympic Qualifying a 'strong showing' now??? oh my...

That said, I do wonder the same thing - is Mitchell essentially guaranteed a job right through qualifying?

I know the weather was bad and some might use it as an excuse but some people were complaining about playing teams like Estonia as not being a good test...Good test or not...We lost. Hurts even more when you see the US winning 3-0 over poland in poland and seeing Mexico beat Ghana ( a WC team from 2006). Perhaps if the media and fans in this country put more attention to friendly results, we'd expect more of our guys. When you look at more competitive teams, a string of loses in friendlies quickly starts the "axe" talks in those nations.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I just don't think the players want to play for Dale.

I would like to give Dale the benefit of the doubt and look at these friendlies as a sort of 'preseason' for WC qualifying. However, it would be nice if someone in the media actually interviewed a player or two and asked them what they think about Mitchell's approach so far and whether we should be worried by these results. Have any journalists actually asked Mitchell to spell out what is going well and what is maybe not going so well?

I also haven't even seen any quotes from Mitchell about the result or any real analysis of how we played. Perhaps the snowstorm knocked out the phone lines? But what about asking what the former Estonian National Coach... and current Whitecaps coach... thought of the match? There wasn't a snowstorm in Vancouver that I've heard of. What are the Estonian press saying? There are claims (I think coming from the CSA) that we had most of the possession in the 2nd half. But was there any pattern to the play? Ok, so we obviously didn't finish whatever chances we had - but were the chances created by our play or just lucky?

quote:Originally posted by Martyr

I also haven't even seen any quotes from Mitchell about the result or any real analysis of how we played. Perhaps the snowstorm knocked out the phone lines? But what about asking what the former Estonian National Coach... and current Whitecaps coach... thought of the match? There wasn't a snowstorm in Vancouver that I've heard of. What are the Estonian press saying? There are claims (I think coming from the CSA) that we had most of the possession in the 2nd half. But was there any pattern to the play? Ok, so we obviously didn't finish whatever chances we had - but were the chances created by our play or just lucky?

I posted a CP article in the post-game thread that contained a bunch of quotes from Mitchell.

As for the game, we had most of the possession for the whole game, not just the 2nd half, and we created the better chances, but not as many as I think we would have if our players had been able to control the ball as they are capable of & been able to get their footing as they normally would had the match played on grass or fieldturf.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Too funny and true and sad :(

Yeah...I was just thinking that an emotional angle could work (nothing else has). If Tony came back I bet the media would show some interest. Might even inspire the players (whom I don't blame at all - not with what they sacrifice and put up with).

He can be the Ringo to our current Pete Best.

Archived