Canada-Guatemala U-23 pre/in-match thread

The third and final match for both Canada and Guatemala in the Group Stage.

Match Start Time: 6:30 pm EST/3:30 pm PST

Possible Streams:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-sports.html (run in IE)

http://www.rojadirecta.com/canal/psn-1.html

Current Group Standings:

Team Pts Pld W D L GF GA GD

Guatemala 6 2 2 0 0 3 1 +2

Haiti 3 2 1 0 1 2 2 0

Mexico 1 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1

Canada 1 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1

What is Required for Canada to Qualify:

-Canada must win and

a)Mexico wins and Canada has a better goal difference than Mexico. If goal difference is tied Canada must have more goals scored. If still tied, the draw of lots. OR

b)Mexico and Haiti tie and Canada has has a better goal difference than Haiti. If goal difference is tied Canada must have more goals scored than Haiti.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

I don't want to give Canada bad luck but i think we can take this game.

I think you just did. Plus the fact that Guatemala beat Mexico attest to their skill versus our lack thereof. Granted the Haitians sort of cheated on the first goal, but the fact that they took the game to Canada served to cruelly expose Canada's lack of preparation. How does the CSA expect our country to qualify for major tournaments without adequate preparation.:([V]

quote:Originally posted by rodfern2007

I think you just did. Plus the fact that Guatemala beat Mexico attest to their skill versus our lack thereof. Granted the Haitians sort of cheated on the first goal, but the fact that they took the game to Canada served to cruelly expose Canada's lack of preparation. How does the CSA expect our country to qualify for major tournaments without adequate preparation.:([V]

With most of our players playing with clubs in Europe I think it would've been impossible to have more prep for that group. Maybe playing Internationnal games instead of college teams would've been better but in the end you can see that group is lacking cohesion at times.

We always seem to be in this position in any qualification tournement....A guy from Spain I live with tells me he knows how I feel, saying Spain always thinks it can do better in big tournements....well kind of the same.....but Spain actually qualifies!!!!

Anyway, I'm not missing this game....or Mexico/Haiti game.

The CSA site indicates that we can still qualify with a Haiti-Mexico draw, if we have more goals than Haiti. If they are right we stand a better chance, although it is difficult to see how Mexico could fail to beat Haiti (unless of course they get suckered by the Haitian Fair Play Trap as well).

Our main problem for this game is going to be to somehow prevent the second half fade that has happened in each game thus far. In each of our two games our first half has been much, much better than our second half, which I think is a clear sign of lack of fitness for a couple of different reasons, and three games in five days isn't going to make anything easier.

The CSA site indicates that we can still qualify with a Haiti-Mexico draw, if we have more goals than Haiti. If they are right we stand a better chance, although it is difficult to see how Mexico could fail to beat Haiti (unless of course they get suckered by the Haitian Fair Play Trap as well).

Our main problem for this game is going to be to somehow prevent the second half fade that has happened in each game thus far. In each of our two games our first half has been much, much better than our second half, which I think is a clear sign of lack of fitness for a couple of different reasons, and three games in five days isn't going to make anything easier.

We also need to control our possession better. Last game consisted of either giving the ball to Ricketts and letting him run up the field loose possession and run back, or these long balls up to Ornoch which were totally useless. I think a 4-4-2 formation would be the best for this game with Johnson and Ornoch at the front. If we score a goal we need to keep pushing evidently because a 1 goal margin isn't enough in my opinion.

We also need to control our possession better. Last game consisted of either giving the ball to Ricketts and letting him run up the field loose possession and run back, or these long balls up to Ornoch which were totally useless. I think a 4-4-2 formation would be the best for this game with Johnson and Ornoch at the front. If we score a goal we need to keep pushing evidently because a 1 goal margin isn't enough in my opinion.

I didn't think we played all that bad before around the 70th minute or so. Sure, the team isn't clicking as a unit all that well, but that is to be expected. We seem to have pace to burn and can out muscle the central american teams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Begovic in the lineup after Wagenaar was caught sleeping on the last goal.

quote:Originally posted by JoeSoccerFan

I didn't think we played all that bad before around the 70th minute or so. Sure, the team isn't clicking as a unit all that well, but that is to be expected. We seem to have pace to burn and can out muscle the central american teams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Begovic in the lineup after Wagenaar was caught sleeping on the last goal.

Dasovic said in an interview that he was likely starting Wagenaar for the last game.

I'm not sure if Begovic is still with team, which would make the decision easier for Dasovic.

Another obstacle to overcome will be the fact that Mexico will know the result of the Can-Gua game before they kick off. Thats a big time advantage because they will know what they have to do to advance whereas Canada does not know. Funny how they scheduled it that way for both Mex and the US isn't it.[V]

The above point is not meant to be an excuse but rather a statement of fact. Ultimately its decided on the pitch and the two front runners in Concacaf are a notch above everyone else in quality. No disputing that. But they don't need the extra push from Concacaf everytime. Similarly, if you cant produce offensively gifted talent who create things in the final third, thats not Concacaf's fault.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Another obstacle to overcome will be the fact that Mexico will know the result of the Can-Gua game before they kick off. Thats a big time advantage because they will know what they have to do to advance whereas Canada does not know. Funny how they scheduled it that way for both Mex and the US isn't it.[V]

The above point is not meant to be an excuse but rather a statement of fact. Ultimately its decided on the pitch and the two front runners in Concacaf are a notch above everyone else in quality. No disputing that. But they don't need the extra push from Concacaf everytime. Similarly, if you cant produce offensively gifted talent who create things in the final third, thats not Concacaf's fault.

That being said, how many other international tournaments have final group games that aren't at the same time (even for GC)? I'd say pretty much no major ones except CONCACAF's.

I can't wait until we go to lots. Holger was sacked today; maybe the CSA should fly him him to take the call--a kind of good luck charm.

Why is it always this way. Why??? Why can't I just give in like half the soccer fans in this country and pretend to be from somewhere else every four years.

Oh yeah, the self-respect.

(sigh)

If We win by two and Mexico is winning by one late, it's going to kill me to cheer for Haiti after the stupidity they pulled two nights ago.

quote:Originally posted by ken

according to the csa's fixture list at www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/olympic_m/game_profile.asp?gameld=1234⊂=2

the line up is Wagenaar, Ledgerwood, Jacovic, Hainault, Ramalho, Rickets, Ayre, Hemming, Roselund, Johnson, Ornoch.

I'd say that's a 4-4-2 with RICKETTS up top alongside ORNOCH. Alternatively, he could play AMR, with JOHNSON playing just behind in a more 4-4-1-1.

Archived