Canada v Mexico U23 Olympic Qual post-match (R)

DJT

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, I'm not sure we should start making assumption and comparaison between coaching decision after only one game. Let's be happy for the players and leave Mitchell out of the equation.

Agreed, especially since, for all we know, if Dasovic has been able to secure the release of all of the eligible players including Borgeault (whom he wanted) he might not be playing Ayre so much either.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding result. This should give the boys a huge confidence boost going forward the rest of the tournament. The result really is impressive when you consider the preparation or lack there of leading up to the tournament.

We played a decent game, knocked the ball around well at times. At other times, we weren't so great, reverting back to the old boot it up. All in all, i think the boys did a good job and i keep becoming more and more impressed by Nick Dasovic. I liked him alot as a player, he seems like a good person and comes across as an intelligent and well-prepared coach.

Wagenaar had a good game, i think he should be rewarded by starting the next game. Jakovic was excellent, i can't believe his uncle wasn't totally exagerrating about him. I can't see him returning for his senior year, he has a Euro passport (Serbian) and I'll bet Red Star Belgrade take another look at him and snap him up (or some other mid-tier club). For both of these guys i think it's a blessing that MO should have nothing to do with them. Ornoch is also class, another youngster to keep an eye on.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Agreed, especially since, for all we know, if Dasovic has been able to secure the release of all of the eligible players including Borgeault (whom he wanted) he might not be playing Ayre so much either.

Except he started Ayre ahead of both Gyaki and Rosenlund who were released.

Not a bad game, considering: a) predominantly pro-Mexican crowd, and

B) the gracious amount of prep by the Mexicans for this tournament, vs.

our tune-up matches against NCAA squads. A Mexican poster commented

"why would anyone be foolish enough to have only 2 weeks preparation for an

important tournament like the Olympics?"

Our defence shut down the mounting Mexican attack when it counted, and our

offense early on played good possession and counter-attack in spurts. By

the end of the 2nd half, fatigue basically took over and resulted in quite

a few long-ball attempts to no one.

Canada escaped with the tie, but considering that the penalty could have been

dubious, the writing was already on the wall.

Good road game for the boys, and thank you to our Mexican hosts that streamed both

ESPN Deportes and TV Azteca signals. I still can't believe that no Canadian

station (TLN, GOLtv, FSWC, Sportsnet, TSN, Setanta) would pick up the feed ...

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Can Ricketts, a junior, enter the MLS draft?

I'm sure JM would lend the U-Sector the "We got Ricketts" chant.

He would have to signed as a Gen Addidas player to be able to leave school early and enter the draft, if I'm not mistaken.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Not a bad game, considering: a) predominantly pro-Mexican crowd, and

B) the gracious amount of prep by the Mexicans for this tournament, vs.

our tune-up matches against NCAA squads. A Mexican poster commented

"why would anyone be foolish enough to have only 2 weeks preparation for an

important tournament like the Olympics?"

Our defence shut down the mounting Mexican attack when it counted, and our

offense early on played good possession and counter-attack in spurts. By

the end of the 2nd half, fatigue basically took over and resulted in quite

a few long-ball attempts to no one.

Canada escaped with the tie, but considering that the penalty could have been

dubious, the writing was already on the wall.

Good road game for the boys, and thank you to our Mexican hosts that streamed both

ESPN Deportes and TV Azteca signals. I still can't believe that no Canadian

station (TLN, GOLtv, FSWC, Sportsnet, TSN, Setanta) would pick up the feed ...

I think that if we get to the semis Sportsnet might want a pick up the feed for the game. A little bit like what they did in WYC in 2003 when they picked up the 1/4 final with Spain at the last minute.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Except he started Ayre ahead of both Gyaki and Rosenlund who were released.

Yeah but Ayre & Borgeault are different types of players to Gyaki & Roselund (who are much more offensive minded), and the former two are more likely to be match fit than the latter two.

Not sure that playing the "let's second guess what Mitchell would have done if he was the U23 coach" game is going to be particularly meaningful or get us anywhere.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

All in all, i think the boys did a good job and i keep becoming more and more impressed by Nick Dasovic. I liked him alot as a player, he seems like a good person and comes across as an intelligent and well-prepared coach.

I was impressed by our defensive shape with all the new bodies in at the last minute - but given Dasovic's playing history as a defender & d-mid perhaps that's not surprising.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

He would have to signed as a Gen Addidas player to be able to leave school early and enter the draft, if I'm not mistaken.

Is that some sort of agreement with the NCAA?

Because MLS has had no problem drafting teenagers too young for college (Adu, Beasley, Convey, Altidore, etc.), so I find it odd that once a player chooses the college route he'd be forced to stay there for the duration.

Yeah but Ayre & Borgeault are different types of players to Gyaki & Roselund (who are much more offensive minded), and the former two are more likely to be match fit than the latter two.

Not sure that playing the "let's second guess what Mitchell would have done if he was the U23 coach" game is going to be particularly meaningful or get us anywhere.

Good points, plus it is also fair to remember that Ayre has played more games this year and has likely progressed as a player since last spring, which in the end is good for us. I hope he can crack Hibs next year when he returns from his loan spell.

While it was a good start, it will be interesting to see how they react when faced with situations where they should be the better team. To me, last night was a no-lose situation where the pressure was off in terms of a result.

With this lineup the only thing I'd be interested in seeing is Jakovic play in the centre of midfield somewhere. That's where not having Edgar available hurts. It's nice that Jakovic can play in that spot, but I think from what I saw that this guy has holding midfielder written all over him. He's composed with good feet and tackles well. At UAB he's moved all over the field from the back line to holding mid to attacking mid and even to striker IIRC.

Any result against Mexico has a taste of victory to me, specially that this Mexican side has some impressive wins in their way here. Dasovic seems to be the man for the job. Having had no time or support from the CSA he managed to put together a group of gutsy players who looked out there like a bunch of seasoned guys, not much different from the mexicans. According the color commentators Canada played very defensively which I tend to agree. But then I am not the coach and it could very well be that this was the way against mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Good points, plus it is also fair to remember that Ayre has played more games this year and has likely progressed as a player since last spring, which in the end is good for us. I hope he can crack Hibs next year when he returns from his loan spell.

While it was a good start, it will be interesting to see how they react when faced with situations where they should be the better team. To me, last night was a no-lose situation where the pressure was off in terms of a result.

With this lineup the only thing I'd be interested in seeing is Jakovic play in the centre of midfield somewhere. That's where not having Edgar available hurts. It's nice that Jakovic can play in that spot, but I think from what I saw that this guy has holding midfielder written all over him. He's composed with good feet and tackles well. At UAB he's moved all over the field from the back line to holding mid to attacking mid and even to striker IIRC.

Absolutely right about Jakovic, I wrote something to that effect in the match thread at halftime. He's not a true CB, more like a midfielder, defensive or offensive. The real question is whether we have other option at CB?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Absolutely right about Jakovic, I wrote something to that effect in the match thread at halftime. He's not a true CB, more like a midfielder, defensive or offensive. The real question is whether we have other option at CB?

Well, Hemming can play CB, although he's not as tall as Jakovic. Like I said the non-release of Edgar would have made this academic, but it's not like any of us are unhappy with his play there. He's mobile, got good feet, passes well and does seem to head the ball decently. I, like you, would just like to see him get a chance with the ball at his feet in the midfield.

But if he's the best option at CB among the players there, then by all means let's keep him at CB based on his performance.

As an aside, based on what I saw last night with Jakovic and Ornoch I'm all for more eastern European immigration. ;)

I love Ricketts' pace and his athleticism, and with some time playing good pro football, he could become a very good player. I'd love to see him go to Holland, to be honest. Sort of wish he'd try to find a pro club sooner than senior year, but let's see what happens.

Jakovic was a wonderful revelation, and yes, I wish he could play in the mid.

Hemming is also impressive, and simply needs to play on a good pro club, maybe also in Holland or Denmark.

Many nice surprises here. Can't wait to see how these guys gel over the next two games.

I fear for Lombardo. Yes, delivery was poor, but I'm not sure about this lad. Seems a good kid who works hard, but I don't know...

I wasn't playing that game, just pointing something out in your statement. I actually see Ayre as a more offensive option that either JBB or Rosenlund...anyways, enough of that.

I'm wondering if Jakovic is of Croatian heritage? Perhaps Nick found out about him through his Croatian connections? Anyway I thought he was great. Couldn't help but think if we had Edgar out there what role Jakovic could have played in midfield. Probably would have been more settled and kept more possesion. In the end enough was done to get the point.

With all their possesion and quick passing the Mexicans produced very little scoring opportunities. The looks at goal that we did give them they did not take advantage of. The fear with playing Mexico and other central American countries is when they are able to penetrate our first line of defense and enter the penalty area there is always the chance that we may foul them or that they take a dive and a pk is called. It could have been worse last night if it weren't for some patient defending.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I'm wondering if Jakovic is of Croatian heritage? Perhaps Nick found out about him through his Croatian connections?

I'm not sure who found out about him though it is worth nothing he was at the National B team camp in January, so it may have been Mitchell or Hart.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

With all their possesion and quick passing the Mexicans produced very little scoring opportunities. The looks at goal that we did give them they did not take advantage of. The fear with playing Mexico and other central American countries is when they are able to penetrate our first line of defense and enter the penalty area there is always the chance that we may foul them or that they take a dive and a pk is called. It could have been worse last night if it weren't for some patient defending.

Agreed. We defended well and the Mexicans dwindle in front of goal. The Mexicans are not used to play against teams that defend with lots of players. When not given the room to operate they become unproductive and even more dives would not help them. I think the referee was a bit inexperienced and looked frazzle.

Archived