Canada v Mexico U23 Olympic Qual post-match (R)

DJT

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ornoch was a beast out there. He will be one to watch. Johnson showed some decent ball skills, he was a driving force.

Ayre, Ricketts, Jakovic, Hainault, Wagenaar also stood out.

Maybe its just because he plays for a famous club, but I expected more from Ledgerwood. He did not shut down his side. The mexican left winger repeatedly got by him and attacked our box. Gotta do better next time.

Lensky also did nothing going forward. I guess he is a defender.

And Lombardo was not so bad. When he came on, the team was dead tired and Mexico took over. He got no service.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Lombardo seems a nice kid who badly wants to achieve but I am not sure he has it in him frankly. Been disappointing most of the times I've seen him play.

I've always considered him a 'tweener. In that he's not a true target forward but not skillful enough or fast enough to play a complimentary role.

Like you said, no lack of professionalism or effort in the kid and maybe something will click. I'm just not sure what role he could have.

SCORE FINAL - Canada 1:1 México (Match tracker / Le film du match)

Canada earned a 1:1 draw against México in the team's first match at the 2008 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualification Tournament. Canada scored early, but México evened it up less than 20 minutes later and kept the pressure on through to the dying minutes of the game. Both teams were down to 10 players by game's end.

In the first half, the Canucks got on the scoreboard early as Andrzej Ornoch slipped the ball through to Will Johnson who put the ball past Méxican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa in the third minute.

Canada kepts its lead for nearly 20 minutes before André Hainault was called for a yellow card and penalty. México's Luis Ángel Landín stepped up and fired the shot past Canadian goalkeeper Joshua Wagenaar. Both sides then played out the first half with chances - Wagenaar made a big save in the 35th minute and Canada had a chance on a free kick in the 40th minute.

In the second half, México returned with pressure, but in the 67th minute Landín got his second yellow card and the Méxicans were down to 10 men. Canada quickly turned the play in their favour, but less than 10 minutes later the Canucks were also down to 10: Will Johnson was sent off with a direct red card.

In the last 20 minutes - with both teams playing 10 aside - the Méxicans kept the play on the Canadian side. Wagenaar and his defence, however, were up to the task. México was especially close late in the game with a great chance in the 89th minute, a free kick in the 90th minute, and another close chance in the 92nd minute.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/Olympic_M/game_profile.asp?gameId=1233⊂=2

All you guys clamouring for Ornoch to go the full 90 minutes need to remember we are playing 3 games in 5 days! With all the running around that the lone striker had to do in this game & with two more coming up taking him out as he tired for Lombardo was absolutely the right move. Lombardo has the ability to hold the ball up (which we badly needed) but can only do so when the ball is at his feet, and I think we only got him the ball there once or twice. So yes, Ornoch should definitely start up front, but to ask him to go 90 minutes as a lone striker three times in five days is a little un-realistic.

On the one hand I am thrilled with the result, as this had guaranteed loss written all over it going into the game. On the other hand I am a bit disappointed we didn't press our advantage when we were up a man & frittered it away with a silly foul (it may have been a harsh red, but after their player got tossed for a harsh second yellow I don't think we can complain too much about that).

Player ratings out of 10 based on a single viewing:

Wagenaar - 9 - he commanded the box all night, read all the Mexican attacks perfectly and made a great game-saving save at the end. Difficult to believe that he's not good enough for TFC, more easy to believe that Mo Johnston is an idiot.

Ledgerwood - 7 - maybe should be higher considering he (along with Hainault) are probably suffering fatigue from jet lag. Solid throughout the match.

Jakovic - 8 - ay carumba, where has this guy been before? Positionally solid and excellent with the ball at his feet.

Hainault - 7 - would be higher if he didn't give away the penalty (which I am pretty certain would not be called a penalty anywhere in Europe) but he broke up a heck of a lot of plays

Diaz-Kambere 6 - pretty solid defensively in the 2nd half & some good speed, not bad going forward with the ball at his feet, but couldn't seem to make a pass to save his life

Ricketts - 6 - a like his confidence and his ability to go one on one but not one on four, good defensively, nearly scored, doesn't get a higher mark only because he was too selfish on the ball.

Johnson - 7 - was going to be a 9 before the silly foul. That sending off killed off any hope of victory. But he was superb in the first half & got the goal

Hemming - 7 - helped to get a Mexican player sent off, always a plus in my book. Good in the d-mid role and one of the better players at keeping possession.

Ayre - 6 - didn't notice him much to be honest, which probably means he was okay defensively but we needed more offensively

Lensky - 6 - had some good combinations with Ornoch in the first half and looks skillful with the ball at his feet, but didn't get into the game as much as I would have liked considering his skill (although he wasn't given the ball that much). I think he was involved in the build up to the goal

Ornoch - 9 - Johnson got the goal but that was all about Ornoch. Another bright prospect for Canada.

Subs:

Hall - 5 - the Lensky for Hall switch was the one I didn't understand. He wasn't very useful in this game in the time he played, bar one nice defensive tackle.

Lombardo - N/R - I think only touched the ball two or three times, but not entirely his fault. Target strikers only work if you aim at the target.

Gyaki - N/R Like Andrea didn't play long enough to get a rated. I didn't think he looked in game shape though from the little that I saw.

Dasovic - 8 - his only mistake IMO was the Lensky/Hall switch. Otherwise it is difficult to criticize any of his starter choices & moves during the game, and the strategy we played was the appropriate one in the circumstances. Also have to give credit that he had the team ready to go for a very strong start to the game.

quote:Originally posted by Falcon

Do we see Begovic next game or does Wagenaar get to keep his place? Interesting question methinks.

You gotta go with Wagenaar, he won us a point with those two plays at the end. Unless Begovic is looking unreal in training I would go with Josh.

BTW, I'm really excited about Jakovic and Ornoch, those guys have a nice future ahead of them.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

Congratulations to Dasovic for organizing a solid defensive strategy in 10 days, he also called players that Mitchel didn't like for the U-20s. Good for him, good show of strong personality as a coach.

Who are those players Michell didn't like?

I think Lensky refused the call and Isidro was out of shape (accodring to Dasovic) the first time he showed up for a U-20 camp last year.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Who are those players Michell didn't like?

I think Lensky refused the call and Isidro was out of shape (accodring to Dasovic) the first time he showed up for a U-20 camp last year.

For one, MItchell, inexplicably, did not play Ayre much at the U20s. Instead he went with Nunez who can't even crack the impact these days.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

For one, MItchell, inexplicably, did not play Ayre much at the U20s. Instead he went with Nunez who can't even crack the impact these days.

Well, I'm not sure we should start making assumption and comparaison between coaching decision after only one game. Let's be happy for the players and leave Mitchell out of the equation.

Ornochh and Jakovic were bright spots. How old are they and what clubs do they play for?

Also Hainault physically is a beast out there, using his upper body strength to knock players off teh ball, I think over the next few years with a little more development he could be solid. But he needs to get out of the czech league and play against some more skilled forwards IMO.

Ornoch just transfered to a top division Danish club Esbjerg FB.

Jakovic is a senior in the NCAA (University of Alabama at Birmingham). TFC better pick him up next year for all the crying Mo does about no Canadian talent. He really impressed today.

Guest speedmonk42

Good game. It is 4am because that required some celebrating.

The Mexican fans at Champs were a good group of guys, after my U20 experiences in TO it was a relief.

I thought the ref was good. Both reds seemed harsh, bur otherwise I thought he did a good job.

Guest Jeffery S.

Translating from here, one of many Mexican reports:

http://www.milenio.com/index.php/2008/03/13/208161/

Will Johnson put the Canadians ahead in minute 3, but al Luis Angel Landín tied it up with a penalty in the 22nd.

Carson, Ca.- The Mexican sub-23 national team has no cure, cannot score and had to come from behind to barely pick up a 1-1 draw with the team from Canada, in a match from Group B of the Concacaf Pre-Olympic tournament.

Will Johnson put the Canadians ahead in minutes 3, but Luis Angel Landín tied it up from the penalty spot in the 22nd.

With this result both teams have a point in Group B, where Guatemala is in first place with three points after their win over Haiti, at the bottom of the group with zero points.

The storm clouds casting their shadows over the "Tri" gave way to a storm at the very start of the match when for a moment it seemed like all of their dreams had turned into a nightmare, which gradually slipped away until raising its head again at the end.

They were just barely into the third minute when the Mexicans were hit with what seemed to be a lethal strike. Andrazes Ornoch, just inside the box and rather awkwardly, was able to touch the ball for Will Johnson, who seemed to be offside as he scored with a hard shot to put fear and trembling into the Mexican bench.

The lack of control of the first minutes was slowly overcome and the Mexian side, mostly thanks to the work and character of César Villaluz, began to push the Canadians back, as the rival set about losing the ball on their own half of the pitch.

Coach Hugo Sánchez decided to use a single player up front, Luis Angel Landín, and fill up the midfield with more men to start the plays, with Villaluz and Edgar Castillo, who played as an attacking mid on the left, given the task to open up the pitch.

The draw was conceived at the feet of the player from Cruz Azul, in a fine play where Villaluz screened the defender and let the ball go on to Landín, who received a perfect ball leaving him in front of the opposing goal, forcing Andrew Haunault to commit the foul that led to the penalty call.

Landín was given the responsibility to take the penalty, shooting hard through the centre to put the scoreboard at 1-1 and bring life back to the "Tri" in minute 22.

the slight improvement shown by the Aztec squad on the way to the tie and just after it, was not enough to clearly impose conditions on the pitch, in fact totally disappearing during the rest of the half.

México went back to an individualist soccer, though the soloists were not that good, and the lack of team play typified most of the second half as over and over again they ran into a red wall that pushed back each and every one of the balls that came their way.

The situation became even more complicated when they went a man down with the expulsion of Landín, inexplicably impulsive in earning two yellow cards for himself in less than 20 minutes.

Added to this and the lack of an effective attack, as has been customary with this team, coach Hugo Sánchez was slow in making his changes, and there was no potential to turn things around on the bench anyways, as the team was overly fearful in spite of the fact that the team of the "maple leaf" had organized itself by taking a step back in spite of having an extra player.

Sánchez Márquez finally decided to change things in m. 77, one after Canada too went down to ten men after the expulsion of Will Johnson, though he did not risk things at all, sending in Alan Zamora for Patricio Araujo, both playing the same position.

Only with eight minutes left he decided to "risk" things with Edgar Andrade substituting Efraín Velarde, which did not alter the team's inefficiency at all, even though the team was close to snatching away the victory.

In extra time it was Castillo, who together with Villaluz were the players who most tried to sway the balance in Mexico's favour, had a great chance that was stopped in an excellent intervention by the keeper Joshua Wageenar, who robbed the goal from him, leaving the match tied though with a taste of defeat.

The referee was the El Salvadoran Joel Aguilar, who did an acceptable job. He expelled Luis Angel Landín (for a double yellow 67) and Will Johnson with a direct red (76) for the Canadians.

Andrew Hainault (21) and Nikolas Ledwergood (60) were cautioned for the North Americans, while Patricio Araujo (74) was given a yellow for Mexico.

I think Ornoch now should rate on our MNT depth chart for WCQ. I know that Gbeke has his backers, but I love Ornoch as the fourth striker on our chart.

Lombardo started last season relatively strong, he looked decent in early U-20 friendlies and in his early work with TFC, but seemed to suffer an absolute crisis of confidence during and after the tourny. He would visably tense-up on every touch.

I think going forward, in the matches we hope to win, we might see Lensky slide back, my suspicion is that Kambere was a defence-first selection.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

To be fair, Kambere was better in the 2nd half. Great game by Wagenaar. Did MO cut him because he wanted too much money?

Mo cut him because he has yet to understand the value of young Canadians to TFC. He's, in his oh-so-brilliant wisdom, decided that the back-up keeper spot would be a *great* place to use an international spot on...

Sorry...Mo bashing = TFC forum. I'll stop now.

Josh played a good game. I thought he showed great communication and reacted well to several good chances. His kicking game left a little to be desired.

Archived