Canada v Mexico U23 Olympic Qual post-match (R)

DJT

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a players' ratings kind of guy, but I like Jakovic, Ornoch, Ayre, Hemming, Ledgerwood and Hainault. With a tip of the cap to Wagenaar for the late save.

Lots to work with and I think Dasovic had us play the only style that would see this result.

Lombardo still looks challenged as a striker and front man ..he still has no upper body strength and is more liability then merely screwing up .. up front. He was bad in U20s and after a year at TFC with Mo he is no better.. time to drop him out of the pool and get on finding a better front player.

quote:Originally posted by dpetzz

yeah like a line drive in baseball..no arc....makes it hard for players to win it and hold up the ball if they are forced to take it down like a hot potato

This the easiest ball for a big forward since it's tough for the defender to win it.

In keepers school we practice that kind of kick because it's more efficient. Big arc kick are easier for defenders to deal with. In the first half Ornoch took down a few of those kicks but you can't keep possession on those everytime.

A great result from a Canadian team that should have been destroyed by the Mexicans. This isn't our top squad, just the one that was available. Some of these guys aren't even starters with their clubs, and others play college ball. And with only two prep games--against US college teams, of all things--I think this is a pretty fabulous result. Our guys got tired, but there were some nice surprises out there, some potential nice finds for the future.

Very proud of our lads!!!

Andrew himself has told me how hard it is to tone it down from the Czech league when he plays back home or in central/south america as elbows, puching, grabing and all kinds of hard play is readily accepted there. A little Mexican wouldn't last 5 minutes on the field and would WANT to be streachered out asap. Not a bad result considering, too bad about the first goal, and now Will has to sit out against Haiti.

Good game and nice to steal a point from Mexico. Of course we didn't have possession in the 2 nd half but we were playing Mexico for god sake, and considering their team has played 10 games since January and has been trainig together for a while, I say good job to the boys!!!

Now, the toughest challenge is to play without Johnson for the remaining 2 games.

My spanish is rusty (been about 15 years since I took it in high school), but didn't it seem that the commentators were big time cheerleaders. I know its expected, but it seemed like they were complaining about every foul that was not called for Mexico. It was kinda amusing for me. I wish I understood it better.. actually, maybe not. :)

Good game by the team up until the point Johnson got red carded. Then they just hoped that they didn't get scored on. Lombardo was disapointing and like someone said in the other thread, Ornoch should be on for 90 minutes next game. There needs to be a new leftback for next game. Pretty good at winning the ball and good with the ball at his feet, but can't complete a pass if his life depended on it. I'm guessing he completed about 5-10% of his passes. I'm not sure who you can put there, maybe Lensky?

Good result. Why in the last ten minutes did we hoof the ball up field so many times? For spells in the game we did pass the ball around the back playing possession, why not continue doing that when you're playing a superior opponent and trying to hold on to a 1-1 draw? If bringing on Lombardo is the green light for lofted low percentage passes up field, leave him out.

Credit for Dasovic for a big result and selecting a good formation. The strength of this team is clearly in midfield, illustrated by the fact we had Gyaki and Rosenlund on the bench, two solid players. Lombardo is an okay player but the Lombardo-Ornoch sub was mind boggling. I like Lombardo as much as the next guy, but Ornoch was giving the Mexican backline fits. The Lensky sub was odd, but seemed to work out.

Do we see Begovic next game or does Wagenaar get to keep his place? Interesting question methinks.

Thoughts on Dasovic? Probably too early to tell, but one has to give him some credit for the result.

Let's see what our boys can do next.

Vive le Canada!

(I think I saw some Mexican fans posting something (that was supposed to be insultinig) that said all our players have names that sound like hockey players. Funny thing, but I swear the names of all their players sounded like the gardeners my parents just hired.)

Overall the shape was decent most of the game considering how unfamiliar the players would be with one another. I though Hainault and Jakovic seemed to communicate quite well together.

With Johnson gone, I'd expect Rosenlund to play in his place as attacking mid.

Hall didn't show me much and Lensky did not look like a left midfielder but more like a left back in the way he approached his positioning.

As I said earlier, I really like Hemming and Ayre as disruptors. Neither is a great distributor but they clogged up all the passing lanes in the middle.

Archived