Black Wednesday -- the CSA protest

Jeffrey and John et al:

Keeping quiet because we don't need a distraction, or because it is not good for the team is similar like not critisizing the war in Iraq because it will hurt the feelings of the troops. I mean, we gotta support those troops right?

How long must we stay quiet for? I think you are just rationalizing not complaining. If we waited for the perfect moment to do things, then things would never happen, because the fact is that the perfect moment does not exist.

We are a small group. We may feel large online here, but we make up a minute amount of the people that will go to these games. We need to be vocal at every opportunity that we have; the squeaky wheel gets the grease right?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

You right about logo,but should i remind you that you wrote before how you will not post in this thread anymore,since nobody gives a F*^k what you trying to say.

Let us do this and after the game you can give us sh*t as much as you want in case you were right about the whole protest.Till than relax and try to find the other way how to get rid of idiots at CSA.Your letter for resignations from another thread is really good so why not send that letter to all media in Canada and focus your energy on that instead trying to prove us wrong with this protest.

9 days left and counting,keep a good work boys!

This from a hotshot who learnt how to post on the board last week? Grow up will you. I deleted my posts before, but since you are being so embarrassing to many of us and were laying into people I agree with, like Johntv and Gian-luca and others, I decided to post again. So I changed my mind. Like you do with your breakfast cereal after your mom pours it out in the morning.

If you can't take the dissent I know of a stable job in North Korea you might be interested in.

BTW, the designs are totally amateur guys, they are terrible. That is a simple design fact, they have no merit whatsoever. How about asking someone with some design knowledge to help you out, there are some talented people here who might be willing, like strobe_z.

Version III: Kick out the csa!

Jeffrey: I am not a graphic designer by trade but trying using some my expierence as a web designer, I wanted to design something that is simple and straight to the point. Sorry it is not to your liking. If Strobe_Z or anybody else wants to help me out, please feel free and I will give them the original firework file. But the message must be simple and straight to the point.

anticsa3-1.png

My opinion may not count for anything since I have no plans to wear anything other than a Canada jersey up top, but regardless I will suggest that the piltdownman version is a better design for this purpose. No offense is intended to jeffreymac1971, but I think his design would work better for a poster rather than a t-shirt. Unless there are a lot of huge, barrel-chested Canadian soccer supporters all of that language is going to be difficult to read (particularly the accountability line) on a shirt, and if you look closely you can just about make out that the middle letter in the circle is the S in CSA. People also don't spend much time reading t-shirt and if the whole point of this is to get the media to notice the fans aren't happy with the CSA, I'm not sure so much dialogue on a t-shirt that people will be wearing on the other side of the field from the press boxes is really necessary. Also with the other design the Canadian flag is prominent so there's a better chance it will look like you are there to support Canada rather than just to protest the administration, which for me at least should be the priority.

Strange as it may sound, more people may read the shirt if the print is on the back...especially those behind you in the stands and in the line-up to get into the stadium. The print on the shirts definitely won't get picked up by the cameras (GL is right).

Perhaps a single large logo on the front would work better - for the cameras and, as I suggested, details on the back for the uninitiated.

Again, just a thought as I am way out on the west coast and can't participate at the game.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

Version III: Kick out the csa!

Jeffrey: I am not a graphic designer by trade but trying using some my expierence as a web designer, I wanted to design something that is simple and straight to the point. Sorry it is not to your liking. If Strobe_Z or anybody else wants to help me out, please feel free and I will give them the original firework file. But the message must be simple and straight to the point.

anticsa3-1.png

First a simple message or a slogan, or a jingle that could also be sung. It is virtually impossible to say two things well on a shirt, so forget about also making it a shirt that supports Canada. It has a single clear purpose, though it could work on different levels.

Since black is the theme you make the slogan relate to the idea of black or death.

Two colours, it is cheaper. White on black. If there is nothing on the shirt to tell you why the ground is black, there is no point in using black. Tones or colours do not have a single meaning, all meaning is contextualized. So the black has to be contextualized, and here it seems the way to do that is with a death reference.

The press has to be able to describe it in a phrase.

An example. A black shirt. With thin straight white bands you draw an image of a coffin, one of those with a diamond shape of sorts, like a New Orleans funeral coffin. In three dimensions that is twelve lines.

On the coffin you put CSA and under it RIP. So that the letters can be clearly seen you reproduce the coffin large on the shirt, it covers the front fully, that way the letters are larger.

The same logo can be easily reproduced on a banner, a black piece of cloth with white tape for the lines and six letter. So nothing is confiscated, you do what is always done in stadiums, you chop the banner up into parts and compose it inside the stadium. You take a replacement image with you. The coffin lines, and the letters for the message, different people take different bits in.

If once set up it is confiscated, you take out another black piece of cloth, and you have other people with replacement parts.

That gives you a phrase and a single image the press can repeat, a good picture for the press, and you are not mixing that with Canada or the maple leaf or our soccer.

I know that now that I have posted this you are going to do the exact opposite because noone wants to look like they are at all appeasing my arrogant, irritating way of posting on the board. So be it.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

Be prepared for your black shirts to be confiscated by the CSA. I am sure they won't allowing any noticeable sale of black t'shirts at the game.I would come with a back up plan like wearing the black shirts under another t etc. Have t's to hand out in the stand area.

Nearby bars like Shoeless Joe's plus the U-Sector clubhouse are the obvious venues to distribute the t-shirts well away from CSA jurisdiction, in my opinion. They can confiscate banners, streamers etc on safety and stadium regulations grounds but t-shirts is a bit of a stretch that way. :) Very easy to get in by wearing something over the top anyway as you say.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

First a simple message or a slogan, or a jingle that could also be sung. It is virtually impossible to say two things well on a shirt, so forget about also making it a shirt that supports Canada. It has a single clear purpose, though it could work on different levels.

Since black is the theme you make the slogan relate to the idea of black or death.

Two colours, it is cheaper. White on black. If there is nothing on the shirt to tell you why the ground is black, there is no point in using black. Tones or colours do not have a single meaning, all meaning is contextualized. So the black has to be contextualized, and here it seems the way to do that is with a death reference.

The press has to be able to describe it in a phrase.

An example. A black shirt. With thin straight white bands you draw an image of a coffin, one of those with a diamond shape of sorts, like a New Orleans funeral coffin. In three dimensions that is twelve lines.

On the coffin you put CSA and under it RIP. So that the letters can be clearly seen you reproduce the coffin large on the shirt, it covers the front fully, that way the letters are larger.

The same logo can be easily reproduced on a banner, a black piece of cloth with white tape for the lines and six letter. So nothing is confiscated, you do what is always done in stadiums, you chop the banner up into parts and compose it inside the stadium. You take a replacement image with you. The coffin lines, and the letters for the message, different people take different bits in.

If once set up it is confiscated, you take out another black piece of cloth, and you have other people with replacement parts.

That gives you a phrase and a single image the press can repeat, a good picture for the press, and you are not mixing that with Canada or the maple leaf or our soccer.

I know that now that I have posted this you are going to do the exact opposite because noone wants to look like they are at all appeasing my arrogant, irritating way of posting on the board. So be it.

Sorry but I just couldn’t resist not to reply.

Your idea is really good, make sense and can be done easy.

Jeff , see instead bitching against each other all the time if we focus our energy on CSA and work all together we can achieve something good for Canadian soccer in general.

I will suggest this on some other supporters forums to se what boys are thinking, if you don’t mind of course.

ALL FOR ONE !!!;)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

People also don't spend much time reading t-shirt and if the whole point of this is to get the media to notice the fans aren't happy with the CSA, I'm not sure so much dialogue on a t-shirt that people will be wearing on the other side of the field from the press boxes is really necessary.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

First a simple message or a slogan, or a jingle that could also be sung.

So could it be as simple as "CSA - OUT!"?

My graphic artist at work is going to help me come up with artwork based on what you guys have posted here. There are a lot of ideas and some degree of consensus so I will just put them all together and make a final decision

Everyone's contributions are greatly appreciated.

I will post a rendering of what the shirt will look like later today or early tomorrow. I need to work quickly now to get these shirts rolling.

i do like the idea of having something on the back. I will see how much more that will cost. If it's not ridiculously expensive, I'll do it so we can have the major crest on the front and some catch phrase on the back (i am partial to the following on the back:

Complete

Soccer

Amateurs

(The C, S and A would be bold and large of course...I am sure you know what I mean)

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

Ok I am done trying to contribute my piece here. As long as we get the message accross, I really don't care which piece we use, but I like the idea of a back up plan to be on the safe side.

You did great job,don't get upset man.

I like the idea of a back up plan,do we have any?

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

You did great job,don't get upset man.

I like the idea of a back up plan,do we have any?

Don't get me wrong! I am not pissed off, it is just that we should for one design and stick to it. If it is mine, great but if it isn't, then let's have the best design and make a statement!

Archived