Davidson: Mitchell to be Named Coach

BrennanFan

quote:Originally posted by River City

So.....will Canada make it to the hex?

If we cannot match our CONCACAF neighbors for preparatory games, then no. Coaching will be a moot point without the prep. That said, I am not a fan of his selection.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mitchell is an excellent choice, but my preference would have him take over the senior team AFTER the next WCQ. I felt, like many of you, that a coach like Simoes was what we needed next. The idea, then, would be that Simoes would be the head coach and Dale his assistant. This way Dale can learn a boat load from Simoes and the experience of assisting on the full senior side, and then Dale could take this new knowledge and experience forward. That would have been ideal.

Whatever the case, if Mitchell is named head coach, I'm fully behind him. The only question: Will the CSA provide him and this team with the sort of support they really need to be successful?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Whatever the case, if Mitchell is named head coach, I'm fully behind him. The only question: Will the CSA provide him and this team with the sort of support they really need to be successful?

I hope so. With the money the CSA saves by not hiring Simoes,

and with the profit from the U20 World Cup, I hope they spend

the money in the MNT, with more prep games than currently scheduled.

Haiti, Guatemala, and Panama is currently ahead of our MNT preparation

despite having smaller budgets than the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

The idea, then, would be that Simoes would be the head coach and Dale his assistant. This way Dale can learn a boat load from Simoes and the experience of assisting on the full senior side, and then Dale could take this new knowledge and experience forward. That would have been ideal.

I think Simoes stated that he was against this. He wanted to bring in his own assistant coaches, at which the CSA balked. Not sure if there would have been room for Mitchell in the fold.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I hope so. With the money the CSA saves by not hiring Simoes,

and with the profit from the U20 World Cup, I hope they spend

the money in the MNT, with more prep games than currently scheduled.

Well, according to his blog, Big Daddy Dobson seems to be indicating that that's the plan. Whether that's all spin and whatnot remains to be seen though.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/05/15/mitchell_steps_in/

Haiti is playing against chile tomorrow and looks like they are trying to get another one against Senegal in new york just before the gold cup.

Canada will be facing a well prepared Haitian team.

they seems to be focus on 2010 and I think their U-20 will play Argentina the same squad that was at BMO and also their u-23 is playing in the Panam games.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

According to Quebec Soccer magazine, the COO has been selected and an announcement was supposed to be made last week after the details were to be finalised. They weren't.

I had heard last week that the person the CSA wanted to name COO declined at the last minute so now the search is back on.

I honestly don't remember where I read or heard this but I am quite certain that this is the case.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

It's pretty insane that a civil strife ravaged island which needs Canada to supply cops periodically, can be so much better prepared for Gold Cup!

Granted, all our resources seem to be directed towards the U-20s, as they should be.

It's a poor country indeed, but they do have sponsors and ex-pat

Haitians supporting the team financially for soccer. Maybe it's

really a lesson on allocating resources where it's important

(prestige-wise). A lot of developing countries would rather support

their football team rather than funnel certain resources to social

needs.

The key here is priorities. Canada has to share its resources with

the WNT and the U20s. Haiti doesn't. But as for preparations,

we are really behind and hopefully it will not reflect in Gold Cup

results and WCQ performance, as much as we fear.

I just received an e-mail from the CSA announcing a media conference wed at 11 am at the bmo field. I guess we will receive the confirmation from Colin Linford. My question would be who is doing what at what time.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Yeah, just three of the top clubs in Japan, no-name English clubs like Spurs and Newcastle, some club in Croatia (and another in Mexico) I've never even heard of...no credentials at all. Nothing, at least, that is comparable to the the Canadian under eleven team,- I can see why he wouldn't have been entertained with even a second interview. ;> No point stringing along the losers.

I agree his record is inconsistent but he is very well respected here in Japan and he does have that Bora type of CV as a player and coach which tells players he DOES know about top level football and that he is bringing some real vision to the equation. Compare the coach saying to his players, "When I was with Tottenham and then Newcastle, playing at Old Trafford was..." with "When I was alongside Bobby..." Especially if the players he is coaching are actually AT Newcastle and Tottenham these days.

There wasn't a single British coach interested in the job( or at least good enough to be short-listed)? Even with many of our best players playing there now, and with all of the interest British seem to have in Canada (given the TFC and wider MLSexperience)?!?!

I can honestly see some people, and not insane people, seeing Mitchell as a clear third choice from this list. Yah, yah, I will support Mitchell and give him a fair chance, but this is sheer mockery of any proper interview process. In some ways, (and I hate to say this as a v) it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for us to get knocked out of a pre-group WCQ by a team like Belize just to give the entire country the wake-up call that it deserves. This is no way to run a football program.

This guy has been canned faster than a whale in a Japanese processing plant at half his stops. He had Spurs nose diving into relegation territory after picking up a whack of stars. Newcastle was playing in the second division at the time he was there...notice how since he left England he's had to go to smaller nations to coach? A year in Croatia, a year in Mexico, Saudi Arabia, multiple stints in Japan, etc. The only place this guy has had success is in Japan. Great, he's respected in Japan! So are the guys from Jackass after filming their movie there.

My point is there is not much difference between this man and Yallop in terms of coaching success (MLS and J-League championships). Just cuz he was a great player does not mean he is a good coach. People like him will get chances at large clubs, it's what they do with their opportunity that counts.

Dale Mitchell brings class, professionalism on and off the soccer field

By NEIL DAVIDSON

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2007/05/16/4185490-cp.html

TORONTO (CP) - Dale Mitchell knows all about qualifying for the World Cup. As a player, he scored crucial goals in helping Canada book its lone ticket to the finals - in Mexico in 1986.

Mitchell, 49, is being asked to repeat that journey, this time as coach. His appointment is scheduled to be made official Thursday at a news conference at BMO Field. Canada's new coach comes with impeccable on-field credentials.

"Probably the most complete Canadian player ever," said Tony Waiters, who coached the 1986 World Cup team.

"One of the best players, from a purely point of skilful point of view, that the country's ever produced," echoed Bob Lenarduzzi, a former national team coach and 1986 team alumnus.

"A natural goal-scorer," added Paul James, a former under-20 coach and World Cup veteran.

Like most, James remembers Mitchell as a thinking man's attacker brimming with guile, vision and technique. But James also recalls how Mitchell dealt with the adversity of injuring his knee ahead of the '86 finals.

Mitchell, then a star player, recovered in time but the injury affected his performance. He did not see action in Mexico until the final game against the U.S.S.R., when he almost ended Canada's goal drought at the finals.

Some players might have turned sour at the untimely injury. Not Mitchell.

"He was an absolute professional," James recalled. "He wasn't negative about it, he didn't moan about it. He just got on with it. He was supportive of the players that did play.

"And when he was given his opportunity, he came in and did a good job. ... He was a really good role model for all of us."

It's a story that James, now York University's master coach, has long used to educate younger athletes.

As a player, Mitchell is remembered as classy, unflappable and professional. Those who know him say his toolbox as coach is filled with those same traits.

Lenarduzzi recalls Mitchell as a player very comfortable on the ball, a fine passer with real talent at deadball situations.

But most of all, Mitchell was a skilled attacker.

"He scored some very very important goals for Canada," said Randy Samuel, Canada's most capped male player and another 1986 World Cup alumnus.

"He used his intelligence in the game and the goals he scored for Canada were those type of goals. He was an opportunist."

Mitchell scored four goals in four games in the second round of World Cup qualifying in 1985, including a goal in Victoria in a 2-1 win over Guatemala that his teammates still remember more than 20 years on.

"One of the best goals that I've ever seen," Lenarduzzi said.

Goalkeeper Paul Dolan fired the ball down the field to Mitchell at the edge of the box, who - in one motion - controlled the ball with the top of his foot, turned and scored.

"To have that kind of touch on a ball that's come 70, 75 yards was great skill," Lenarduzzi said.

At the height of his career, Mitchell was a savvy attacker who played in a somewhat withdrawn position.

"He was better lying a bit deeper, in an advanced midfield position," said Waiters. "Definitely a complete player. He had not only technique, he had the understanding, vision and temperament.

"A very efficient player," added World Cup veteran Ian Bridge, who first played with Mitchell on the Canadian under-19 team in 1976. "Not sort of flashy flamboyant, but just very clean in his touches, clean in his execution of everything he did - runs, shots, passes. A really economical, technically sharp player."

And one who thought ahead.

Craig Forrest recalls a key 1993 World Cup qualifying game in Toronto against Mexico. Canada needed a win to advance and Forrest and Mitchell had put their heads together at halftime in case a miracle was needed in the dying minutes.

With Canada down 2-1, Forrest made his move. The big goalie raced up the pitch and Mitchell lived up to his word, delivering a cross.

"He did whip one in and I had a header that went wide," Forrest recalled.

Away from the field, Mitchell is a man comfortable in his own skin - with a dry sense of humour.

Mitchell, Bridge, Lenarduzzi and Bruce Wilson roomed together at the 1984 Olympics.

"The consummate professional off the field," Bridge said. "A great guy to have around, good sense of humour. I have lots of good memories about that Olympic time together."

Mitchell has worked his way up the coaching ladder, serving as an assistant coach with the national under-17, under-20 and senior sides.

He took over the under-20 team in February 2002, guiding it to the world championships in 2003, 2005 and 2007.

Mitchell came from the Vancouver Whitecaps of the A-League, where he progressed from an assistant to head coach and was named A-League Coach of the Year in 2001.

Lenarduzzi was GM at the time and recalls coach Mitchell as laidback as he was as a player. Mitchell is still a cool customer but Lenarduzzi sees more bite in him as coach these days.

Mitchell is prominent in Canada's record book, tied for the all-time international scoring lead, with 19 goals in 55 appearances from 1980 to 1993.

He played in the NASL, CSL, APSL and MISL from 1977 to 1994.

Waiters, then coach of the Whitecaps, actually released an 18-year-old Mitchell in 1979, electing to go with the experience of Kevin Hector and Trevor Wymark. But he was quick to use Mitchell's service later when he became national coach.

From Vancouver, Mitchell went to Portland where he started making his name. That road took him to the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame in 2002.

Canada has been without a coach since Frank Yallop quit last June to become coach of the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Archived