Davidson: Mitchell to be Named Coach

BrennanFan

As of tomorrow Mitchell starts with a blank slate for me. Whatever I may think of the hiring process, or whether he was the best choice is irrelevant. He was the choice, and he gets the benefit of the doubt and a fair evaluation.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

As of tomorrow Mitchell starts with a blank slate for me. Whatever I may think of the hiring process, or whether he was the best choice is irrelevant. He was the choice, and he gets the benefit of the doubt and a fair evaluation.

I agree. I don't like what happened in the process and i think we missed a big opportunity to take the game in a different direction, but i'll give Mitchell a chance to prove himself.

to give him a fair chance to prove himself he would need two world cup Qualifying mandate

this World cup qualifying campaign is too close to be able to make a definite and acurate opinion on his coaching ability.

what Canada really need to have is not only a coach but also a mentor.

someone that have a vison of what kind of team he want as the end product

select the players that fit that bill and work with apre selcted group for at least two yrs 20 games before the first qualifying game 10 at home and 10 away to give them a chance to aplly and excute his vision properly.this gold cup would have been avery good opportunity to know who he should keep and should be dropped from the team entirely so that he does not waste the ever so precious little amount of game into evualating players instead of fine tuning his squad for the final stretch toward WQC.

we have to wait until 2014 to really know if he was the right man or not.

One thing for sure soccer in Canada need someone that is going to rattle the cage when needed to a few times and the CSA made sure that they choosed someone that is not going to do so.

the board were probably afraid to hire someone that was going to discover how poorly and amaterish the CSA is once he get a close look inside this disorganization.

Wow. Who knew Cathal Kelly had this in him:

http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/214916

Mitchell wrong choice for national coach

CSA has missed the boat once again

May 17, 2007 04:30 AM

Cathal Kelly

After nearly a year of waiting, Canada's senior men's soccer team gets its new manager today – Dale Mitchell.

At least that's what we've been led to believe by the Canadian Soccer Association. There's more swerve in this group's decision-making process than a Juninho free kick.

When unofficially announced early this week the news was greeted by, well, utter indifference. It was hardly a secret, the taciturn Mitchell is about as charismatic as a rug salesman and no one sees any reason why this country will not continue to stumble internationally in exactly the same way it has managed since the stone ages.

Amid the fraternity of Canadian soccer fans (those fans who support Canada, not those fans who follow soccer), there is the maddening sense of a huge opportunity wasted.

This was not just the hiring of a manager; it was the chance to appoint a new spokesperson for the domestic game.

Canada's men lack that poster-boy player who draws people to him. Jonathan de Guzman might yet be that player, but that's another sad tale.

Without that player, we needed someone in charge of the team with a history of success holding out the promise of more to come. We needed someone with foreign experience and the air of mystery. An injection of Latin flair would have suited. What we didn't need was another scowling pit boss from Canada (or Germany or Scotland) talking about formations or managing expectations.

Despite their lollygagging in the interview process – actually, because of it – the CSA found themselves with a unique and unforeseen opportunity.

The enormous impact made by the debut of Toronto FC had the country's largest market primed to jump on the national team bandwagon. All that was needed was a little heat to help light the fire under thousands of new fans.

The tinder was on hand – a well-respected and charismatic Brazilian coach (Rene Simoes), along with a not quite as well respected but even more charismatic Argentine manager (Ossie Ardiles). The appointment of either one would have grabbed headlines and created interest outside that small, fervent community that has been carrying Canadian soccer like a cross since 1986.

Instead, we get Mitchell.

His pedigree? Undoubted. His credentials? Unimpeachable. His appointment? Stop me before I yawn again. The revelation of his hiring – dragged out and never in doubt – created as much ripple as a penny tossed in the St. Lawrence.

The chance has passed. Canada will go into June's Gold Cup headed by an interim coach, while the future senior manager enters July's world U-20 championship a lame duck. Development is put off schedule. A chance to cross-promote the women's team ahead of their World Cup in September is also lost.

What Canadian soccer needs even more than top-flight managers or breakthrough players are supporters. There is a woeful snobbery that afflicts the sport in this country, made worse by the casual disdain of the once-every-four-years fan. But those who care should be actively courting those people who enjoy soccer, but don't think much of the Canadian brand. Once we achieve a critical mass of people who give a damn, the CSA will no longer be able to shrug its shoulders when Canada misses another World Cup.

There is no good reason why Canada should not be a shoo-in for the third CONCACAF spot every four years. We have more resources than any of our Central American and Caribbean rivals, a bigger population base, more and better internationals.

One begins to suspect that the CSA enjoys this mediocrity because it discourages annoying questions.

Let us not mince words – what we have achieved on the international men's senior level over the last two decades has been a wretched and inexcusable failure.

The men and women who control soccer in this country have run out of excuses. What we really need now are enough people to call them on it.

It seems everyone has jumped on the bandwagon to push for change. and although this is great, how long will it last. This topic always seems to come up, and then fade away rather quickly, as the media quickly returns to cover the latest from Europe. lets hope the presence of a pro team in town will encourage a focused & consistent effort by the media to voice our concerns. Its time we are all held accountable.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That Kelly article is way too harsh on Mitchell. True there are shots at the CSA for the hiring process, but no need to insult Mitchell personally for that.

Maybe a bit dramatic, but I wouldn't call it way too harsh.

Does anyone disagree with his assessment of Mitchell's marketability? Or the the marketing opportunity which is going to be available this summer.

Of course, the best marketing tool Canadian football has is winning.

quote:Kelly article

I like this article alot, even though it might be a little harsh on Mitchell. Kelly does mention that Mitchell has excellent credentials, but has been rendered somewhat of a lame duck due soley to CSA incompetance. This is prety much bang on IMO. Kelly also says there is no reason for Canada to be able to qualify for the world cup ever 4 years with the players we have available. Again I think this is bang on, and something most on this board would likely agree with. He also mentions JDG2, another hot topic here.

Although overall the article is a little pessimistic, with the CSA's recent F-up's it's not hard to see why.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That Kelly article is way too harsh on Mitchell. True there are shots at the CSA for the hiring process, but no need to insult Mitchell personally for that.

I agree, but this type of reaction may be to Mitchell's benefit. The Yallop hiring, which was really not dissimilar, brought a lot of hype and a lot of false hope. Frank's tatics and level of preparation for Guatemala suggests to me that he believed the hype. I can't imagine Mitchell making the same mistake. I wouldn't call him a rug salesman. He strikes me more as an accountant. Yallop, on the other hand, is more of a lawyer -reminding me of the old joke that the difference between lawyers and accountants is that at least accountants know they're boring. No offense intended. My point is just that I think Mitchell will surprise a lot of people, including our Central American rivals, with his level of preparation and tactical management.

If Canada ever wants to be considered a serious soccer nation, it needs to expect attention and scrutiny from the media. This is still very mild when compared to what other national associations and coaches face.

As for the Mitchell comments in the Kelly article? IMHO, he is more unfortunate collateral damage than the focus of the attack. I think it is very difficult to address the issue of the hiring process without directly or indirectly implying that Mitchell was the wrong choice. The bottom line is that the CSA needs reform. If we are ever to progress, that is a given.

A little extra pressure on Mitchell to succeed is not necessarily a bad thing anyway. He needs to prove himself. Yes, the bar is higher now but that only means he will need to push harder.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

If Canada ever wants to be considered a serious soccer nation, it needs to expect attention and scrutiny from the media. This is still very mild when compared to what other national associations and coaches face.

As for the Mitchell comments in the Kelly article? IMHO, he is more unfortunate collateral damage than the focus of the attack. I think it is very difficult to address the issue of the hiring process without directly or indirectly implying that Mitchell was the wrong choice. The bottom line is that the CSA needs reform. If we are ever to progress, that is a given.

A little extra pressure on Mitchell to succeed is not necessarily a bad thing anyway. He needs to prove himself. Yes, the bar is higher now but that only means he will need to push harder.

I'm all for the media putting pressure on the CSA & the national team to perform. Taking shots at Mitchell as a person (and not as a coach) has nothing to do with that. By adding in the personal insults it actually detracts from the article & the issue at hand.

The Kelly article was spot on in my opinion. The comments about the CSA, and the comments about Mitchell were all honest and accurate. Mitchell is not a charismatic individual. Did you guys see that press conference after the Argentina match! Nearly put me to sleep. There's nothing wrong with the fans of this country demanding the best for the program and for the players. It's nice to see a journalist write the truth and not compile a hodgepodge of ass-kissing quotes from the "Old Boys Network" like the Davidson article.

"What Canadian soccer needs even more than top-flight managers or breakthrough players are supporters. There is a woeful snobbery that afflicts the sport in this country, made worse by the casual disdain of the once-every-four-years fan. But those who care should be actively courting those people who enjoy soccer, but don't think much of the Canadian brand. Once we achieve a critical mass of people who give a damn, the CSA will no longer be able to shrug its shoulders when Canada misses another World Cup."

This paragraph in particular is very true.

• 1 year later...

It's interesting looking back on it all now, and seeing the writing so clearly on the wall. By the end of the U-20 World Cup, we all seemed to be nervously tugging at our collars, and then he threw the players under the bus, saying they weren't good enough(no matter how true that may have been, that is a selfish move for a coach).

Cathal Kelly hit the nail on the head.

Archived