Big and amazing Canada day in Rotterdam

john tv

I have been listening to Feyenoord,following Jonathan but it is Canada that is stealing the show that in a sold out stadium 58000 Two goals by Rob Friend,Johnson is doing a great job and Jonathan just scoored to make it 4-3 feyenoord sofar.Hey all I keep hearing the Canadians who are really dominating this game in Rotterdam.

The announcers keep talking about an amazing game in the Kuip. Hey feels great to hear all the accolades about our guys.

Stadium wasn't sold out. There were 41,000 people of the possible 51,000. Feyenoord supporters were all standing for the first 10 minutes of the game to show the Feyenoord hooligans that they need to stop with their actions.

20061203heerenveen_supporters_rh.jpg

Last Thursday Feyenoord played in France against Nancy in the Uefa Cup and there were terrible riots. Game had to be abandoned after 78 minutes because of tear-gas that was fired by the police to the fans and some of the gas got onto the pitch.

Today however was a fantastic game played in a fantastic atmosphere/spirit. Jonathan de Guzman got 1 goal and 2 assists and Rob Friend got 2 goals. Will Johnson came on after 80 mins. I will get you a video of the highlights tonight because you all are gonna love it..!! 2 of the 3 Canadian goals were top class..

Feyenoord - SC Heerenveen 4-3

0-1 Afonso Alves (23)

1-1 Stein Huysegems (45+1)

2-1 Stein Huysegems (50)

3-1 Theo Lucius (64)

3-2 Rob Friend (75)

3-3 Rob Friend (80)

4-3 Jonathan de Guzman (84)

2 truly great goals by friend.

jonathans goal after being sent in alone reminded me of about a hundred similar chances deRosario has had for Canada, except here deguz simply chips the charging goalie, whereas dero would have tried to deke him and end up running to an impossible angle only to fire over the cross bar.

interesting that jono was playing as the right sided midfield in a familiar 4-3-3 formation, and that johnson was subbed in at a critical moment in big game.

Good video. Apart from the goal, Jonathan de Guzman gave Huysegems two glorious opportunities, one of which was turned into goal, and committed an egregious dive (just god-awful) that lead to a Feyenoord penalty.

Friend looked impressive, scoring the first goal on what appeared to only be a half chance.

I think we should expect Johnson to continue playing (and starring) with the reserves while gradually growing into his role as a second-half super-sub with the first eleven. That is the way I hope things progress, at least. I also hope that Friend's performance today is enough to get him back into a regular starting spot, which he hasn't had in the last month or so.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Was it me, or did Will Johnson lose the ball at the end, leading directly to JDG2's goal?

I think Johnson was passing to Alaves who lost the ball and then the goal by JDG2.

BTW, we cannot afford to lose him to Holland, he looks like the offensive player we've always dreamed of.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think Johnson was passing to Alaves who lost the ball and then the goal by JDG2.

BTW, we cannot afford to lose him to Holland, he looks like the offensive player we've always dreamed of.

I think you're right about Alves, as I just re-watched the play and it appears as though Johnson does pass Alves the ball, who then promptly runs into a Feyenoord midefielder.

As for JDG2, he really does look quite the gem out there. Very instrumental in all facets of the Feyenoord attack, including that laughable dive in the box.

Archived