Predictions for Canadian soccer in 10 years

Soccerpro

I know 10 years is a ways off, but 1996 doesnt seem that long ago.

My expectations for 2016, are to have a competitve mens team that has qualified for the world cup either in 2010 or 1014. I'd expect to have 2 or possibly 3 MLS teams, that is if the league actually starts generating profits, and the plug doesnt get pulled by the MLS sugar daddies ie Kraft and Hunt. I'd expect to see the current trend of youngsters developing their trade in Europe continued. And I honestly believe in 10 years soccer will be a more mainstream sport in this country (fan wise, not participation wise, which it already is)The amount of people i know that don't even play the game but are fans of the game has increaed by leaps and bounds in the last decade, when before that, they only liked hockey, baseball or football.I really believe this sport will grow by leaps and bounds in the next decade both world wide and in this country.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the perspective. Agree completely. How can anything happen if we aren't hopeful. I'll add:

1. 5 Y-League 'franchises' in each province

2. 20-25 PDL clubs across the country

3. 6-10 USL First Division clubs (excluding Van, MTL, Tor...)

4. 3 MLS franchises (Kerfoot, MLSE, Saputo can support teams without Kraft, unforunately not sure the rest of MLS can)

5. Expansion of CSL into Quebec, Maritimes, Manitoba

6. Expansion of PCSL into Alberta (where does 5-6 leave Saskatchewan!?)

7. Organized, and by then annual, Open Canada Cup with regular participation in Concacaf Champions League and 1 competitor in World Club Cup.

You've mentioned the rest.

The head of MLS recently spoke about the importantance of trying to land David Beckham as it had the possibility to unleash the approximately 60 million "Rabid" Soccer fans in the U.S who show no interest in the MLS. While I agree he would be great for the league, I don't think he alone could tap the mainstream soccer market for MLS.

Soccer is very popular with other pro sports players and is making alot of headway in that department. Many hockey teams warm up with soccer balls, as do some members of NFL football teams now. Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati bengals, probably the most flamboyant reciever in the NFL who comes up with those crazy touchdown celebrations, warms up playing soccer with team mates before games and said he loves soccer, doesnt follow MLS but follows Euorpean leagues. The reporter couldn't believe it. This is the stereotypical Football baseball and basketball only guy it seemed, but he is one of the growing converts. And of course our friend Steve Nash is a great soccer buff who recently went with 6 teammates to an AC Milan game.

But as Johnson illustrated he doesnt follow MLS. North Americans, especially Americans, only want to watch the absolute highest level of sport. Which means Europe and national teams like Brazil. In this country the big question is how to turn people onto the Canadian product. I think MLSE being involved with Toronto FC is great because it can mean more exposure and cross marketing oppurtunities with their traditional hockey and basketball fans. MLS franchises in other cities will turn into media exposure and equal some new converts, but as the USA showed thats not enough to break mainstream.

In Canada I think it will be easier because this country doesn't have the "soccer is gay" attitude that most diehard american sports fans have(ie football and basketball, Jome Rome type people) And baseball is certianly on the decline in this country.

The only real definate thing that I can see really giving Canadian mainstream soccer culture a kick in the pants, is Canada qualifying for the world cup. This would get the avergae perosn talking and tuning into Canada at the world cup. Only then i think will real success come. But the question on how we get to the world cup is another matter all unto itself.

In ten years, I fully expect Canadian soccer to be no farther ahead than it is now. The Men's National Team is full of players who are always better than the previous crop, however the results go in the opposite direction.

I expect to see three MLS teams (Van, Tor, Mtl)that are having a limited impact on the National side. After all, what other country can boast three teams in a league that isn't theirs alongside a succesful national team program?

And I expect to be hearing the same rhetoric: We're almost there, there are more kids registered in soccer than hockey, etc. I expect to see that Dale Mitchell will be replaced by another of the "names" from his era.

And most of all, the CSA will have little to no vision, and be more interested in running themselves as a political orginization than one that is willing to grow the game, or make a World Cup.

Maybe I'm having a bad day, or I'm just negative, but I'm getting sick of the same garbage performances - and not just from the last WCQ, but since I started paying attention in WCQ for 1994.

Ten years is a long way away, but here is my guess:

Canada will qualify for 2010, this will lead to a MLS team in Montreal or Vancouver in 2012.

I can not see two more MLS teams in Canada, at least not at the top level of MLS.

Toronto Lynix will play there soccer in Hamilton starting next year. Toronto will get another USL team in 2010.

Another USL team will be put out west by 2012.

CSL will expand a lot between now and 2016.

I excpect Canada will win one Gold Cup and get one or two 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place finishes.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Love the perspective. Agree completely. How can anything happen if we aren't hopeful. I'll add:

1. 5 Y-League 'franchises' in each province

2. 20-25 PDL clubs across the country

3. 6-10 USL First Division clubs (excluding Van, MTL, Tor...)

4. 3 MLS franchises (Kerfoot, MLSE, Saputo can support teams without Kraft, unforunately not sure the rest of MLS can)

5. Expansion of CSL into Quebec, Maritimes, Manitoba

6. Expansion of PCSL into Alberta (where does 5-6 leave Saskatchewan!?)

7. Organized, and by then annual, Open Canada Cup with regular participation in Concacaf Champions League and 1 competitor in World Club Cup.

You've mentioned the rest.

Richard,

Would the PCSL look at expanding into Alberta and Saskatchewan?

every yr that goes by we fall behind by two more yrs compared to most other nations In concacaf so in ten yrs we will be twenty yrs further behind.

our style of play is really ugly now and training camp after training camp we seems to get worse which lead me to beleive that the training staff dont have a clue of what nee d to be done a nd acheived to improve the quality.

we need to go back to the drawing board, have a good look and apply concrete measures that wilkl benefit us in the long run not the fkly by night bandaid solution that the CSA has been adopted for the last 20 yrs that has put us behind 40 yrs when compared to team from Africa and Asia.

I don't agree with sj at all. I would say that our national team is playing the best style of soccer that they ever played including 1986. Its possession football, fairly attack minded, utilising strong defensive midfielders, quick wings, decent counter attacking and most players have pace. Personally, I think they just need a good coach and more preperation before the next World Cup. If they get that, they have a good chance of qualifying.

Some 10-year prediction guesses:

1. Vancouver joins Toronto in MLS, complete with a new stadium of their own.

2. Montreal remains the only Canadian team in USL, builds a new stadium too and hopes to join MLS soon.

3. The CSA now has three fantastic soccer-specific stadia. Commonwealth soon becomes a distant memory for soccer events.

4. The CSL adds teams in Quebec and Kitchener and continues to be a modest semi-pro league. London hosts every Cup Final for 10 years (kidding).

5. Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary all add PDL teams.

6. The PCSL happily remains as is.

7. Having reached the HEX in both 2010 & 2014 qualifying, the MNT still tries to find way of qualifying to the elusive World Cup.

Agree, An Observer. Also like I've pointed out in another thread our youth teams are developping more quality players than ever (we're having a lot of young guys under 23 yrs old with good clubs in Europe at the moment). And those youth teams are getting better at the international level with 4 participations to the U-20 WC in a row. I think the future looks good but our MNT will all those young guys coming in will need more games and preparation if we want to qualify for the WC. Now that our youth program is in a good shape it's time to give an hand to the MNT.

quote:Originally posted by sj

every yr that goes by we fall behind by two more yrs compared to most other nations In concacaf so in ten yrs we will be twenty yrs further behind.

our style of play is really ugly now and training camp after training camp we seems to get worse which lead me to beleive that the training staff dont have a clue of what nee d to be done a nd acheived to improve the quality.

we need to go back to the drawing board, have a good look and apply concrete measures that wilkl benefit us in the long run not the fkly by night bandaid solution that the CSA has been adopted for the last 20 yrs that has put us behind 40 yrs when compared to team from Africa and Asia.

I'm with An Observer on the issue of playing style etc. How could anyone say our game is uglier now than the duzzi or even Holger eras? I say 4-3-3 works with the players we have, and the players we have are better than the players we used to have. Saying Asia is developing faster than CONCACAF is interesting, but what's the basis of that argument? Are you saying the top Asian teams are better than the top CONCACAF teams (Mexico vs Iran S.Korea vs USA)? Are the second tier Asian teams really better than the second tier CONCACAF teams like Canada and Jamaica?

• 5 years later...
6 years down, another 4 to go. So far, only modest progress. The big breakthrough in the last year his been some acceptance of changing the perception of what youth development means in Canada. Not any closer to getting to the World Cup.

Yeah, three professional clubs, two Soccer Specific Stadiums with grass pitches (one of which had packed stands routinely) and hosting the 2015 WWC totally don't constitute anything more than 'modest progress'...

Yeah, three professional clubs, two Soccer Specific Stadiums with grass pitches (one of which had packed stands routinely) and hosting the 2015 WWC totally don't constitute anything more than 'modest progress'...

We are no closer to qualifying for the world cup than when I initially started this thread in 2006.

Change is coming, albeit very slowly. Aside from helping to get federal funds for BMO for the 2007 u20 World Cup, what did that tournament do for Canada?

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy, but we haven't made that much progress in the last few years. It will take a while to see results in this country from the changes which has most recently taken place and some of which are we are undergoing right.

We are no closer to qualifying for the world cup than when I initially started this threat in 2006.

Change is coming, albeit very slowly. Aside from helping to get federal funds for BMO for the 2007 u20 World Cup, what did that tournament do for Canada.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy, but we haven't made that much progress in the last few years. It will take a while to see results in this country from the changes which has most recently taken place and some of which are we are undergoing right.

3 top flight pro teams, each with an academy program. 2 other pro teams in the second division, each with academies as well. Several graduates out of the TFC Academy already. If anything, the positive changes are progressing more rapidly than anticipated.

Archived