Predictions for Canadian soccer in 10 years

Soccerpro

You mean Euro Cup? Sure, they were able to bunker against Belgium twice and get lucky, but they still have a ways to go.

When it comes to people's appetite for soccer, most people don't care about mls and will support their local team. If Regina is apart of this league, the people of that city will support that team over an MLS team in Toronto or Vancouver

Leading a european group after 6 games and managing 4 points off of the group's toughest opponents is not "lucky". Wales are also on their way to getting into the world cup when they received probably the easiest qualificaction group. Wales is a great example that this country does not need a mediocre national league in order to perform well on the international level. Also when i referred to Mls fans switching back i mean't fans who lived in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argument 1

We aren't Wales, where every player can go to England (USA).  The geography, as well as international laws (ummm Wales and England are the same country right now?) are completely different.  We can't use Wales as an example.  And even if we did, their mediocre league still managed to start out a couple decent players.  Even Gareth Bale got his start in mediocre Welsh Leagues,before the English League system picked him up. And Aaron Ramsey?  In Cardiff City, attached to the English League system, so similar to say, TFC.  (I advocate both ways)  Up and down the roster are guys that started either way.  Of course, a Welshman can be carried on an English team without an "international spot".   Mostly Wales relied on Cardiff City

Can a Canadian in the US?  Not right now.

But what we DEFINITELY need right now are more starting points for players.  How many potential decent players have we lost through the years because we just haven't had the pathways?

Perhaps some of our national team members will be from a new Canadian league, if it does get CFL-like popularity

However, in my mind that's not really the point.  To say we don't need a league because it won't have teams playing at a high enough level is a very narrow viewpoint, because it doesn't take into 1) Development 2) Giving players a starting point and 3) Giving players a showcase for scouts from higher levels to pick them up.

Besides that, Wales is also full of players that are actually English but have like, Welsh grandparents or something.  Just sayin.

Argument 2

How can we POSSIBLY say having a Canadian league is a bad thing.

Where do good players come from?  From fans (kids) that love the sport and grew up watching it..  How do you get fans?  By having teams to cheer for.  

How do we get a culture that loves soccer?  By having as many teams as possible to cheer for.  Bigger places to play.  Bigger dreams.  

How do we get a better national team?  By having a better soccer 

Connect the dots.  As long as we can make this league more like the CFL and avoid the mistakes the Canadian Basketball League made (ie not going coast to coast made it seem not very legitimate from the get go) then it can really be a good thing.  

Canadian soccer needs to be a mix of Welsh football and Canadian hockey to be successful IMO.  Two perfect examples to follow.  We need to promote the game at the youth level only for domestic teams CHL style, Canadians MUST be domestic on all MLS teams.. we are literally set.  We have a top 15 domestic league in the world (MLS) and a top youth system with our own regional leagues if this happens.. done and dusted.  We are not far off... USSF is holding us back on the MLS front and CSA needs to get on their regional game. 

Argument 2

How can we POSSIBLY say having a Canadian league is a bad thing.

Where do good players come from?  From fans (kids) that love the sport and grew up watching it..  How do you get fans?  By having teams to cheer for.  

How do we get a culture that loves soccer?  By having as many teams as possible to cheer for.  Bigger places to play.  Bigger dreams.  

How do we get a better national team?  By having a better soccer 

Connect the dots.  As long as we can make this league more like the CFL and avoid the mistakes the Canadian Basketball League made (ie not going coast to coast made it seem not very legitimate from the get go) then it can really be a good thing.  

I didn't say it was a bad thing. I stated it was an idiotic excuse for our poor performances and was replying to the chap who stated we wouldn't make the world cup unless we have our own league. Quite frankly if we didn't choke and lose 8-1 that could have been us finishing in 3rd in the hex and qualifying. We make it sound like we are miles behind the other programs without a league. Our player pool can compete with any team in this region.

Leading a european group after 6 games and managing 4 points off of the group's toughest opponents is not "lucky". Wales are also on their way to getting into the world cup when they received probably the easiest qualificaction group.

It was lucky if you actually watched the games. Bunkering over two matches and getting a gift of a goal is nothing to be proud of.

As for the second point, Canada does not have the luxury of easy draws unfortunately.

Edit: I just took a look at their group as well. Serbia is a lock for first. Even if, and that's a big if, they beat out Austria for the second spot, who knows who they'll draw in the playoffs.

It was lucky if you actually watched the games. Bunkering over rwo matches and getting a gift of a goal is nothing to be proud of.

As for the second point, Canada does not have the luxury of easy draws unfortunately.

Edit: I just took a look at their group as well. Serbia is a lock for first. Even if, and that's a big if, they beat out Austria for the second spot, who knows who they'll draw in the playoffs.

They have -2 points in their euro qualification group and you think they are a "lock" at first. Sure whatever buddy.

I predict in 10 years time, we'll be better off than now. The new CSL will not materialize for the usual excuses of not enough financial incentives, Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto CSL francises folding because they can't compete against the MLS and USL. I predict the USL will expand to Regina, Winnipeg, Calgary, Quebec City and Halifax. The NASL will lose the war against MLS/USL for Div. 2 status and become Div. 3. Edmonton and Ottawa will combine with the USL franchises and thus we have a defacto Div. 2. with the 3 MLS franchises. I say we will have a strong chance of qualifying for a World Cup in 2022. By then the MLS academies will be 10-15 years old and start churning out quality players. The Whitecaps will be the first Canadian team to win the Supporters Shield and MLS championship.

Archived