2006 USL D1 Playoffs - Final [R]

argh1

2006 USL D1 PLAYOFFS — FINAL

(2) ROCHESTER RAGING RHINOS  vs  (4) VANCOUVER WHITECAPS

September 30 - 7:00 PM EDT - at Rochester

Live television:

[*]FSC, FSWC

Live radio/audio Webcasts:

[*]Fickle 93.3 FM Rochester (free registration required)

[*]AM730 Vancouver

Text match tracker:

[*]Vancouver Whitecaps

Originally posted by argh1:</u>

Predictions?

I'll have to keep my nationalist tendacies and say 2-1 Vancouver. Nash scores the shocker winner ;)

Will there be any internet broadcasts as I don't have FSWC. CJAD please?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Will there be any internet broadcasts as I don't have FSWC. CJAD please?

argh, I converted your thread into the official thread for the final. The answer to your question is now in the first post. CJAD is Montreal, so AM730 is what you want. But AM730 tends to have more streaming problems than it should (including over the entirety of last weekend), so Rochester's Webcast is another choice.

Starting lineups:

Vancouver Whitecaps: 1.Tony Caig – 3.Steve Klein, 8.Steve Kindel, 12.Geordie Lyall, 33.Ryan Suarez – 2.Jeff Clarke, 7.Martin Nash, 9.Alfredo Valente, 14.Tony Donatelli – 17.Joey Gjertsen, 11.David Testo

Rochester Raging Rhinos: 24.Scott Vallow - 4.Kenney Bertz, 15.Frankie SanFilippo, 20.Scott Palguta, 26.Nate Craft - 9.Greg Howes, 10.Johnny Menyongar, 13.John Ball, 18.Aaran Lines - 7.Matthew Delicate, 35.Rey Martinez

Good job Dick Howard and congratulations Vancouver.Ole ole ole,got the message guys,these players are telling us something,ole ole ole ole,we are the champions we are the champions!Nice to see Bob Lenarduzzi and Dick Howard both of them are in the Canadian Soccer Hall Of Fame still promoting soccer on the highest levels.

Congrats Caps. Well deserved though a long time coming. The original Caps won the NASL once and the 86ers won the CSL 4 times but this is actually their first Championship in 11 years of playing in the USL. Hopefully this will help build momentum towards getting the stadium approved and built.

What a great win. Especially sweet after many years of playoff dissapointments. The Champagne was enjoyed by the Southsiders tonight as the singing continued through the entire broadcast. We even managed a 3 car parade down Commercial Drive. More celebrations to come I'm sure. Savour the moment lads.:D

I haven't been following the Whitecaps or the USL closely, or at all really. But from what I've seen from scorelines and match reports, it seems that Matondo for the Whitecaps has done a fair bit this season, when it seems like he almost always is coming on as a 2nd half substitute. Is there a reason he isn't getting more playing time? I once thought he was a decent MNT prospect.

Matondo always comes on and looks like the best player on the field but is never a starter. Kind of reminds me of Hainault in Montreal who left the club and won a starting job in a better league. Always came on in the 2nd half and looked like the best defender for the Impact yet never got the playing time he deserved and left the club. Why? Poor coaches who can not judge talent. I don't think very highly of either DeSantis or Lilley even though they have both won USL championships. Plus noone thinks long term because most of the players don't have long term contracts so there is no incentive to play young talent and sell them later. This is a league with a few clubs who have large budgets and even with mediocre coaches teams like Montreal and Vancouver are bound to win sometimes.

From what I remember from his time in Montreal and from what I saw this season from him, it seems he's at his best facing stretched defenses to get the killer goal (which is what happened today).

He didn't stick in Montreal because he could not defend very well and Desantis wanted him as a winger, not an out-and-out forward. He cause the Impact a lot of problems when he came on in the semi. He's really quick and has put on some muscle (he used to be around 130lbs!), but we'd need a Vancouver fan to comment on his season.

He's still pretty young (22) and has time to progress. Right now he's not a MNT prospect with our wingers (Peters, Hume, Simpson, Dero, Radz, etc.), but he could be an interesting speedy complement to Friend if he pans out.

Archived