2006 USL D1 Playoffs - Final [R]

argh1

Daniel is correct about Matando. He can easily be marked out of a game especially against some of the USLs bigger defenders. He'll try to beat too many men at times. He was starting early in the season but missed on many of his chances to score. When Sebrango and Jordan came back from injury and with Gjertsen having the MVP year Matondo saw limited action down the stretch. Was very effective in the playoffs of course. Hope to see more of hin in Vancouver in 2007.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

not sure why you can't register. But there are no torrents there anymore anyways.

You said that before and I think it was Massive Attack who corrected you, but I guess you missed it. There are torrents posted at MaXxed (including Rochester vs. Vancouver, but that one has also been posted here and elsewhere).

quote:Don't fear. I'm sure Fox will re-show it 20 more times at least.
I don't know about FSC, but FSWC have already shown their one and only repeat.

Just saw the highlights and not to take anything away from the victory but the first two goals were fairly lucky. What the hell was the Rochester player thinking by putting his foot out like that on a shot? It is like he is begging to score an own goal. Even though he scored, what a poor finish on the Donatelli goal. He got a perfect pass from Gjertsen and should have one timed it into the absolute wide open net yet takes a couple of seconds to control the ball almost allowing the defender to get back into position and allowing the keeper to get over and have a chance. The keeper actually came pretty close to stopping it. In a better league that would have been a wasted 100% scoring opportunity because he wouldn't have had that much time to control the ball. The Matondo goal was nice and well finished though. He needs to show DeRosario that move, ie. what to do when alone on a keeper.

Seems to be a lot of empty seats for a league final. Stadium seats 13 000 and the Rhinos have had regular season games with 11 000 fans so 9500 seems a bit low for a Championship game. Pretty nice stadium though.

I watched the highlights and thought quite differently. The defender was doing what defenders should do. Try to cut the ball out when its coming across the box or wblock a shot when it is taken. You always stick your foot out in such situations. The fact that it deflected into his own goal is just being unlucky (as you yourselve admit the whitecaps were).

On the second goal, donatelli did exactly what he should do. He had plenty of time and space so he should take a first touch and then put the ball in the net. In fact, what you usually see in lower leagues. The guy has lots of time but blasts it over the net with his first touch. I thought he was quite composed to take his time. What let him down was not the fact that he took the touch, but that is first touch was rather poor so the keeper and defender were closing down on him. Still, he had the composure to wait and then put it over the keeper.

Matondo's was well taken but he had loads of time and space. With his pace, it was simple for him to hesitate one moment and that just go around the keeper. Well taken but a goal any striker (especially with pace) should easily put away.

Well I definitely disagree. The defender had his body twisted away from the ball and thus had little chance of stopping the ball. The only thing that could result from him touching the ball in this position is a deflection. Here you have to have sense and let the keeper handle it, the ball was not hit hard and was heading right to the keeper. A very similar play to guys in hockey putting their stick down and deflecting a puck that the goalie has covered, something which drives goalies crazy. Sure it is bad luck if the deflection goes in but in unnecessarily deflecting a ball like that you are begging for bad luck.

I will give Donatelli credit for winning the turnover and then being in good position for the pass. However, the pass was quite smooth and could have been easily one timed into the net. Yes lower league players often blast such shots over the net which is precisely why like Donatelli they are playing in lower leagues. He could indeed have stopped the ball and then quickly taken a shot but as you say his first touch was indeed poor especially given that the pass was not hard to handle. Thus he takes so much time that the defender nearly takes the ball away from him and the keeper gets back into position. At the end he doesn't do badly putting the ball over the keeper but my point is that at a higher level he doesn't have this much time and he gets a bit lucky at the end (the shot was stopable) when he basically could have put it in an empty net had he taken the pass better and reacted quicker.

I agree that a good striker should score Matondo's goal but we see many of them missing opportunities like this not the least of who is DDR who can score from the half but not alone on the keeper.

Well I didn't tape the match but having watched that first goal live and seen the replays, it looked like a very dangerous ball into the box where a couple of Whitecaps were waiting. If I was coaching the team and saw my defender let that ball go by, he would be in deep do-do. He got his foot to it and it was unlucky for him to see it deflect into the net. The keeper was not able to get to where the original cross/shot was headed.

The point is that the defender backheels the ball. He had no chance of stopping it in the position he was in. A backheel will always deflect the ball and usually is more dangerous than the original shot/cross. It does appear to be intended as a cross and was not on the goal. There were a few Caps in the area but they were also well covered by defenders. A defender has to be smart about what he touches and not try to get his foot/head on every ball that goes by him which seems to be what you are suggesting Ed.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well I didn't tape the match but having watched that first goal live and seen the replays, it looked like a very dangerous ball into the box where a couple of Whitecaps were waiting. If I was coaching the team and saw my defender let that ball go by, he would be in deep do-do. He got his foot to it and it was unlucky for him to see it deflect into the net. The keeper was not able to get to where the original cross/shot was headed.

I agree, there is no way as a defender you leave that ball. It comes fast, you don't react that quickly or that well, and it just sneaks inside the post. So unlucky, an error, but bad luck. He gets three centimetres of his boot more on it and it goes the other way and not in.

Second goal is a great finish, classic. He settled, thought the keeper would go down to block, he doesn't, but the shot, meant to go over the falling keeper, still goes in. That was very cool-headed play.

Would have really liked to have seen this match as I am curious about the Caps defence.

Kudos to Lilley, he lost his leading scorer from last year, put a few new pieces in and kept others, had a bit of youth in there too, and the team won the championship. Good for the team as it builds towards the new stadium and a potential MLS franchise when the Maple Leaf Sport monopoly runs out.

Lilly was smart enough to realize that if he didn't change his style a bit, and let the players play, that he probably would lose his job. They started playing well after the Nations Cup break, and never looked back.

Having watched the game, I was extremely impressed with the back line. Both Kindell and Lyall have speed, and know exactly when to risk making a run. Klein and Suarez win everything in the air, and both usually play a good ball out.

Lilly's earned another year, and now that's he's finally won the big one, he may even mellow out more. Just finding a Tony Donatelli (who scored 3 HUGE goals) shows he has an eye for a player.

Archived