Roster for Jamaica game

loyola

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hart Announces Roster for Labour Day Friendly against Jamaica in Montreal

Stephen Hart

Ottawa, Ontario – Interim Canadian National Team head coach Stephen Hart has announced his 18-player roster for the Jamaica friendly on Monday, September 4 (Labour Day) at 4:00 p.m. in Montreal at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard.

The match marks the team’s first appearance in Montreal in over 11 years; the last being a 3:0 loss to Turkey on June 7, 1995.

This will be Hart’s first match in charge of the Canadian National Team since being named interim head coach on July 12, 2006. Hart has been Canada’s Under-17 head coach since December 2001.

Hart’s roster definitely has a Montreal connection as six players are either from the area or are current or past players of the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer League (USL). Current Impact players are goalkeeper Greg Sutton, and defenders Adam Braz, and Gabriel Gervais. Past Impact players are Patrice Bernier who is currently with Tromso in Norway and Sandro Grande playing with Molde also of Norway; both are from Montreal. Forward Olivier Occean, also a native of Montreal, was named 2006 player of the year in Norway while playing for Lillestrom.

Goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopolus (Tromso) will join Sutton on the roster.

Hart has called upon defenders Kevin McKenna (Energie Cottbus, Germany), Chris Pozniak (Haugesund, Norway), Marco Reda (Sogndal, Norway), Paul Stalteri (Tottenham, England), and Josh Simpson (Kaiserslauten, Germany) to join Braz and Gervais on the back line.

Rounding out the midfielders on the roster is Jim Brennan (unattached) who scored the first and eventual winning goal in the 2:0 win over Austria, Julian de Guzman (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain), Iain Hume (Leicester City, England), and Atiba Hutchinson (Copenhagen, Denmark).

Joining Occean up front are strikers Rob Friend (Heerenveen, Holland) and Tomasz Radzinski (Fulham, England).

Canada is currently undefeated since a very respectable 2-1 loss to Spain on September 3rd, 2005. They have not allowed a goal in their last three friendlies since November 16, 2005 with a 1:0 win over Luxembourg, a 0:0 draw with the United States on January 22nd, 2006 in San Diego, California, and most recently a 2:0 win over Austria on March 1st, 2006 in Vienna, Austria.

Against Jamaica, Canada’s is even after 11 encounters with five wins, five losses, and one draw, but the Canucks lead in goals 14-6. In their last encounter on September 2, 1999 in Toronto, Canada won the friendly 1-0.

“I think everyone is looking forward to this game,” said Hart “There has not been a senior national team men’s game in Montreal for many years and that just adds to the anticipation.”

Tickets are priced at $25.00 for the Grandstand seats (Reserved) and $15.00 for the Bleacher and End zones seats (General Admission) plus applicable taxes and are available through Admission at (514) 790-1245 or 1-800-361-4595, online at www.admission.com, or by calling the Montreal Impact ticket office at (514) 328-3668.

The Quebec Soccer Federation and its members are able to purchase General Admission tickets at a special rate of $10.00 by contacting the Quebec Soccer Federation at (450) 975-3355 ext. 3908.

Prior to the match, the squad will assemble in Ottawa for a three day training camp from August 29-31 prior to departing for Montreal where they will make their final preparations.

Joining Hart is Tony Fonseca as Assistant Coach, he is the Technical Director of the Vancouver Whitecaps and former Whitecaps head coach. He played for Benfica and was capped for Portugal.

Following the Labour Day clash, both teams will meat again in Kingston, Jamaica for a second match scheduled for October 8th.

An international friendly is currently being planned for in the fall of 2006 in Europe. Information regarding this match will be released when the details have been finalized.

Canada vs. Jamaica

Monday, September 4 @ 16:00

Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard - 1000, rue Émile-Journault – Montreal, QC.

Stephen Hart – Bio

On December 21, 2001, Stephen Hart was hired as Canada’s U-17 National Team head coach. Hart had been the Technical Director for Soccer Nova Scotia since 1993 and was the Director of the Atlantic Region National Training Centre in Halifax.

Hart was chosen as Interim head coach of the Men’s National team in July following the departure of Frank Yallop in June 2006.

Holder of a CSA 'A' License, Hart has been an instructor in the CSA coaching development program since 1992. His coaching experience covers a wide spectrum, having coached at the senior and youth levels, both, male and female. He has coached three Canada Games teams and several provincial teams in the last 11 years. He was an assistant coach with the Canadian Men’s Under-17 Team at the 2001 CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament for the Under-17 World Championships. In 2003, Hart was a member of the U-20 National Team coaching staff that lost in the Quarterfinals of the FIFA World Youth Championships in UAE and most recently was the first assistant with the men’s national team since 2005.

A native of Trinidad and Tobago, Hart played for Texaco in the National Football League and the San Fernando Strikers in the local Premier League. In 1980 he was selected to the Trinidad and Tobago national team. Later that year he moved to Canada to attend St. Mary’s University.

Stephen lives in Halifax with his wife Lynn and daughters Eilish, Keva and Yara.

Roster

# Player POS DOB Caps G/S Club Hometown

1 Sutton, Greg GK 4/19/1977 7 3 Montreal Impact Montreal, QC

22 Stamatopoulos, Kenny GK 8/28/1979 4 2 Tromso Markham, ON

2 Braz, Adam D 06/07/1981 7 0 Montreal Impact St. Laurent, QC

3 Pozniak, Chris D/M 01/10/1981 15 0 Haugesund FK Aurora, ON

4 McKenna, Kevin D/F 1/21/1980 33 9 Energie Cottbus Calgary, AB

5 Reda, Marco D 6/22/1977 4 0 Sogndal Woodbridge, ON

6 Bernier, Patrice M 9/23/1979 16 0 Tromso Brossard, QC

7 Stalteri, Paul M 10/18/1977 50 6 Tottenham Hotspur FC Brampton, ON

8 de Guzman, Julian M 3/25/1981 15 0 Deportivo La Coruna Scarborough, ON

Radzinski, Tomasz F 12/14/1973 29 7 Fulham Toronto, ON

10 Friend, Rob F 1/23/1981 6 0 Heerenveen Kelowna, BC

11 Brennan, Jim M 05/08/1977 43 6 Southampton Newmarket, ON

12 Gervais, Gabriel D 9/18/1976 8 0 Montreal Impact Brossard, QC

13 Hutchinson, Atiba M 02/08/1983 20 2 FC Copenhagen Brampton, ON

14 Grande, Sandro M 9/29/1977 11 1 Molde Montreal, QC

15 Simpson, Josh D/M 5/15/1983 13 0 Millwall Victoria, BC

16 Hume, Iain M/F 10/30/1983 14 1 Leicester City Brampton, ON

17 Occean, Olivier F 10/23/1981 12 1 Lillestrom Brossard, QB

Staff

Stephen Hart - Head Coach

Tony Fonseca - Assistant Coach

Paul Dolan - Goalkeeper Coach

Morgan Quarry - Manager

Vic Mendes - Equipment Manager

Dave Foley - Physiotherapist

Garo Demerdjian - Physiotherapist

Rudy Gittens - Doctor

Dino Madonis - Head of Delegation

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so glad I have evidence Lars is forever excluded and blackballed by Canadian Soccer. I knew I was right all along. Now there are no excuses-he is playing for a great club, everything is going right and he is still ignored. So I was right all along, it is good to see evidence.

I am so glad I have evidence Lars is forever excluded and blackballed by Canadian Soccer. I knew I was right all along. Now there are no excuses-he is playing for a great club, everything is going right and he is still ignored. So I was right all along, it is good to see evidence.

I would like to know why Lars isn't there, I don't think it's a conspiracy but I would feel better if we had an explanation since the guy is our keeper playing at the highest level at the moment.

I don't like Kenny being called with the kind of season he's having...

Not sure about Pozniak and Reda.

No Kluka, Serioux, DeRo, Jazic and Nsaliwa.

I think we'll have a better picture when we'll see the roster for the game and Jamaica and the "suppose friendly" we'll have in Europe.

It's still a strong squad, I think we'll see this starting 11:

Sutton

Stalteri-----Reda-------Mckenna-----Simpson (maybe Braz on the right and Stalteri in the central D instead of Reda)

Bernier-----DeGuzman-----Brennan

Radz--------------------Humne

----------------Occean----------- (or Friend)

I would like to know why Lars isn't there, I don't think it's a conspiracy but I would feel better if we had an explanation since the guy is our keeper playing at the highest level at the moment.

Not sure about Pozniak and Reda.

No Kluka, Serioux, DeRo, Jazic and Nsaliwa.

I think we'll have a better picture when we'll see the roster for the game and Jamaica and the "suppose friendly" we'll have in Europe.

It's still a strong squad, I think we'll see this starting 11:

Sutton

Stalteri-----Reda-------Mckenna-----Simpson (maybe Braz on the right and Stalteri in the central D instead of Reda)

Bernier-----DeGuzman-----Brennan

Radz--------------------Humne

----------------Occean----------- (or Friend)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Dont you see I was right all along. Before there was an excuse not to call Lars, now there is no excuse. He is excluded forever by the CSA like I said. I said that a long time ago, and now finally when there is time he is an obvious choice, they pick somebody over him having a much worse season at a worse club. Lars simply is a permenant exclusions from CSA like I said all along.

Great Lineup!!! The inclusion of Stalteri, Radzinsky and De Guzman is a nice surprise, I definitely was'nt expecting it. Especially with an interim coach, these player have nothing to prove by being there. I'm a little bit surprised to see that all of our MLS guys are'nt there but in a way it makes snse. They are near the end of the season and preparing for the playoff. I'm definetaly looking forward to this game!!!

Agreed -- surprisingly strong lineup (with Stalteri, deGuzman, Radzinski). Only a handful of top players missing, to make this our full-strength squad.

Too bad Pizzolitto couldn't join the Montreal contingent. Sounds as if he is has been playing really strong over the past season or two.

Getting excited for the game, especially to see how Hart organizes our roster.

Holy. Somebody wants to win their 1st match.

Brennan's a bit of a surprise. Just a bit, but I guess the alternatives are getting well into the early part of the season and Simpson being with a new club and all so it's JB.

No Hutch? Well, can't have everything.

Yeah. No Lars. Might be nothing. Can't play everybody and you knew Sutton was going to be there.

edit; Sorry, Hutch is there. How do you miss that?

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Hutch is there Cheeta. Let's see how many more threads Wildboy is going to start/invade with his mindless drivel. Again, as always, we need to wait for Neil Davidson's article for explanations as to the omissions.

There is no explanation on Lars. He is excluded from Canadian Soccer and has been since 2004. I just happened to be the first to clue into it. Maybe some others will finally as well.

Drivel? Others put Lars down to never being asked to playing for Canada to not having a club, being out of season, not starting anywhere, etc.....Now that is no longer true and he is still ignored when Canada plays games. So obviously it was everybody else who was speaking drivel in that regard, since they were obviously wrong.

Lars would never have been asked to any prior games no matter what club he was playing for, no matter how in season he was, whether he was healthy or not.

quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

There is no explanation on Lars. He is excluded from Canadian Soccer and has been since 2004. I just happened to be the first to clue into it. Maybe some others will finally as well.

Drivel? Others put Lars down to never being asked to playing for Canada to not having a club, being out of season, not starting anywhere, etc.....Now that is no longer true and he is still ignored when Canada plays games. So obviously it was everybody else who was speaking drivel in that regard, since they were obviously wrong.

Lars would never have been asked to any prior games no matter what club he was playing for, no matter how in season he was, whether he was healthy or not.

I'll say it nicely, this thread is to discuss the selction as a whole, If you want to discuss Lars specifically do it in the thread you started, there is no need to come in this thread for that.

Not shocked in the slightest to see wildboy26 trying to make this thread about himself.

I am shocked however, by the strength of this roster. I was expecting a ragtag team of USL all-stars with the MLS'ers thrown in, but it seems like the MLS'ers have been given the day off (since MLS continually ignores FIFA international dates and the teams are in the midst of a playoff hunt) and the Euro vets are back.

This is essentially an 'A' squad minus DeRo and Kluka, and we should be able to handle an unimpressive Jamaica squad (they've looked awful lately) with this lineup.

I'm looking forward to seeing most of these guys in person for the very first time.

I'm a little disappointed that some guys like Serioux, De Rosario and Klukowski were not selected, but this match, being played in Montreal, needed to have a strong Impact presence so perhaps there simply wasn't room. That said, surely Klukowski and Serioux could replace Pozniak and Reda, although as someone mentioned, it may not be the best time of year to draw on MLS players.

On the other hand, I am very excited that JdG, Stalteri and Radzinski have been called (and seemingly accepted the call). I am half expecting one or two of this group to pull out with some kind of vague injury, but if at least 2 show, this will be one of the stronger rosters we've seen in a while.

The problem I see is that one, two, or all of Stalteri, De Guzman, and Radzinski will pick up a "knock" prior to leaving Europe for training. Then these players won't be replaced with other guys who deserve a call, ie. De Jong, Ledgerwood, Edgar.

This squad will then resemble all the other Yallop squads in recent memory, less DeRo.

I hope I'm wrong, but no need to get excited untilk ll three show up and play hard enough to win.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

God forbid they choose a team that is made up of most of the best available players.

Quite the funny joke, that is.

Yes Lars who is staring for the best team in Norway is not as good a goalkeeper as the one who has lost his starting job with a team that might be demoted and is much weaker.

Quite the funny joke, that is.

I wonder if the Trosmo coach who last year called Lars the best goalkeeper the team ever had would agree with your claim that Kenny is better then Lars. Hmmm, doubt it. Maybe he knows more then you do however.

I'm glad to see a swack of defenders called. Finding a solid back four is one of the most important tasks for our new manager, and I'm glad Hart is starting the process. Wish Kluka was there, and I'd like to get a look at Lars, but I'm starting to get the impression that Lars has decided to forget about national team duty. Perhaps Davidson can fill us in. Makes sense not to have DeRo and Serioux in the line-up at this point in their seasons. No Peters, eh? Also a good decision as he'll be busy with U20s and club duties. No need to tire him out.

One complaint, of sorts: for those who criticize this selection as being rife with Yallop-like politics, I would like to know who your 18 picks would be. Wildboy and youllneverwalk alone, in particular, I'd like to see who you'd select. I think if you tried not to pick the bulk of those players considered Yallop's Old Boys, you'd have a brutal time coming up with as strong a team as Hart has assembled here. I think we sometimes forget that we are still NOT that deep in talent yet.

Starting (if I was the coach)

Sutton

Stalteri McKenna Reda Simpson

Bernier Hutch Grande DeGuzman

Hume Friend

-------

Anybody else here curious to see what Stalteri would do in the midfield?

How can somebody who is never asked to play for the MNT, as Lars is no longer being asked, be said to be "forgetting about national team duty". It is not his fault if they dont want him, it is their choice to consider Greg and Kenny superior to him, and him worthless, he cant be said to be forgetting about the national team because of that.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Pizzolito is good but very undisciplined.

Thanks Kurosawa. I didn't realize that about Pizzolitto.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Let's say I prefer Gervais.

Me too. I was actually trying to compare Nevio to Braz and thinking that a Gervais-Pizzolitto combo (in front of Sutton) might be fun to see.

Archived