Roster for Jamaica game

loyola

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its rare that an announced line-up actually is the exact same one that shows up for a friendly, so I'll wait a bit before seeing is some of the big Euro boys are able to make it across the pond for this friendly.

Surprised that the MLS players like DeRo & Serioux aren't called but I am wondering if the MLS is ignoring the international calendar, since they ignore everything else when it comes to international soccer.

great squad...not our absolute best, but given that it is a friendly and at this time of the year, not many sane people could argue with this one. Eleven years out of Montreal seems like an absolute crime to me given that during many of those years they have had perhaps one of the best club sides on the continent.

quote:Originally posted by Kibby

the CSA got back to me

==

We are practising at Carleton from 11-1 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

You are welcome to come and watch.

Morgan

Canada vs. Jamaica

Monday, September 4 @ 16:00

Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard - 1000, rue Émile-Journault – Montreal, QC.

Training Schedule

Tuesday, August 29

11-1 Practice at Carleton University (Keith Harris Stadium)

Wednesday, August 30

Thursday, August 31

Travel to Montreal

Friday, September 1

11-1 Practice at Centre Claude Robillard

Saturday, September 2

11-1 Practice at Centre Claude Robillard

Sunday, September 3

11-12 Practice at Centre Claude Robillard

Monday, September 4

4:00 p.m. Canada vs. Jamaica

Please note: The schedule is subject to change, please contact Morgan Quarry

A couple more thoughts:

Did anyone notice that the CSA (in an official press release) listed Josh Simpson as still at Millwall? I think that makes them a little amateurish in that release...

I'm thinking that a lot of these guys may be pretty pumped about playing in Canada again. It'll be in Montreal, where they may very well sell out (capacity around 20K?). It'll be a chance to play at home at the beginning of the season, in front of lots of fans, in good weather (hopefully) and just be pumped up to play for their nation after watching what they missed out on in Germany.

I'd even go as far as to guess that the MLSers that weren't called up to focus on their playoffs may be upset, because I just feel that there will be a good refreshed energy in the air.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I would like to know who your 18 picks would be... youllneverwalkalone, in particular, I'd like to see who you'd select...

I clearly listed my replacement picks for the players I suggested wouldn't show. Read my post, please. I liked Yallop for the most part. And I don't care about Lars one way or the other. My issue is that the top Canadian players have often been absent for one lame reason or another. DeVos had the stones to tell everyone flat out. These other three guys haven't always been so upfront. IF they all show, I will be very impressed and it will give me some hope that we'll be ready for qualifying in 2008.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I would like to know who your 18 picks would be... youllneverwalkalone, in particular, I'd like to see who you'd select...

I clearly listed my replacement picks for the players I suggested wouldn't show. Read my post, please. I liked Yallop for the most part. And I don't care about Lars one way or the other. My issue is that the top Canadian players have often been absent for one lame reason or another. DeVos had the stones to tell everyone flat out. These other three guys haven't always been so upfront. IF they all show, I will be very impressed and it will give me some hope that we'll be ready for qualifying in 2008.

No matter what game it is, I would keep Canada as offensive as possible. From this point forth we have 4 years (2 until qualification) for WC. That means that we have to make the most of these friendlies as possible (this one in Montreal and the 2 left for this year).

The new coach (even if it is Hart), has to begin to work tournament by tournament (Gold Cup 2007, World Youth Championship 2007). A standard of play must be set for the national team (like Klinsmann did for Germany, an offesive style with no prisoners). The same has to be done with Canada, even if Yallop is not with us anymore and Hart will leave at the end of the year, the philosophy and attitude must continue so that the younger players can begin to take an attitude of winning at all costs... I feel that only this attitude will help the national team not only win games against Jamaica but also qualify to South Africa 2010:

Therefore my suggestion: Canada 4-3-2-1 (4-3-3)

GK) Sutton

RB) Stalteri

CB) McKenna

CB) Gervais

LB) Simpson

CM) DeGuzman

CM) Hutchinson

CM) Brennan

CF) Radzinski

CF) Hume

ST) Friend OR Occean

Although looking at the roster it seems that it is almoust bound to play a 4-4-2, similar to the one used in Gold Cup 2005. If this is the case, Canada should still play as offensive as possible, going in to score the first goal at all costs:

Canada 4-4-2

GK) Sutton

RB) Stalteri

CB) McKenna

CB) Gervais

LB) Simpson

RM) Hume

CM) Hutchinson

CM) De Guzman

LM) Brennan

ST) Radzinski

ST) Friend OR Occean

Regardless of the formation I EXPECT A CANADIAN WIN, this is due to the talent in the roster. People like Craig Forrest, Bob Lenarduzzi and others believe that Canada has the talent to qualify to a world cup. IT BEGINS HERE... IF HART WANTS THE RIGHT THING FOR THE ENTIRE NATIONAL TEAM PROGRAM HE HAS TO WIN THIS GAME.

I would be extremely dissapointed, given the recent results (no matter if Yallop was in charge). The skill is there, I expect a win against Jamaica.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Nice squad even without Klukowski, DeRo, and Serioux.

Like alot of people i'm also glad to see JDG Radz and Staltari as well

I hope Hutch starts in the center of the park

Can someone tell me where he plays on FCK?

He's playing central mid and doing very well according to a FCK on BigSoccer.

Good team for Canada. Stoked to see the big three coming out, I would kill to watch this live. Seems like forever since we've seen Stalteri. Shame we're missing DeoRo and Serioux though. What's the word on Kluko these days?

I still prefer the Portugese formation (minus the Histrionics);

----------------------------Sutton

-----Stalteri--------Reda---------McKenna-------Simpson

---------------------Hutchinson----DeGuzaman

-----Hume-------------------Radzinski----------Brennan

----------------------------Occean

Suprised noone has picked up on the roster still listing Simpson as a Millwall player. ;)

fantastique roster! we really couldn't ask for a better lineup at this time of year for such a match. a win should be all we expect from at the very least the montreal leg.

sure hirschfeld is playing at the top level and doing quite well, but he has also said playing for canada is in a way just something you do, not what you have to or necessarily want to do. am i not correct? while he plays his hardest when he comes, you can't discount this attitude. also, maybe he feels spurned by not being called for the last WCQ and believes his Gold Cup performance and club team pedigree should be enough. maybe he talks to his cow-town mate hargreaves too much!?

either way, an exciting lineup (and forgive me here) but are we seeing this on sportsnet?

is there any mention of an agreement between the coaches about substitutes? unlimited etc...?

desigol, i really really like your lineup, and considering DE RO isn't present it is probably our best lineup.

i do wish we had serioux to play centreback with mckenna. although not a traditional centreback, his athleticism and verve are a great compliment to what McKenna brings.

do we have a captain named?

I wonder if Hart will use Hutch in defense like Yallop did once or twice. If you look at the roster mcKenna is probably the best cetral defender we have and after that it's either Reda or Gervais, I have nothing against them but I feel like it's quite a step down in quality. On the other side we have quantities of qualified midfielder who can take Hutch place there, Grande or Bernier for instance.

It would give something like that

-------------Sutton-----------

Stalteri-Hutch-McKenna-Simpson

----Grande-DeGuzman-Brennan---

-----Hume-Friend-Radzinsky----

Reda and Gervais will probably be sharing central D duty. In Vienna, McKenna came off at the half and Hutch pulled back to central D.

I expect:

----------Sutton

Stalteri-Reda-McKenna-Simpson

-------JDG-Hutch-Brennan

---------Hume-Radz

----------Friend

Doesn't sound as though Canada is going to be facing the best squad Jamaica has to offer.

Jamaican newspaper article

quote:Exactly one week before Jamaica face Canada in a friendly international in Montreal at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard, interim head coach Carl Brown is faced with his first major problem.

And it has forced a delay in the naming of a squad.

Brown, who was recently re-appointed head coach of the senior Reggae Boyz, has revealed that the unavailability of the nation's English-based players has delayed his selection process.

"We are just trying to get the best of what's available," Brown told the Observer last week.

"... most of the players who play in England are unavailable to us," added the coach, who is in his fifth stint as national coach.

"The fact that they will play (for their clubs) in England on September 2nd and then to get out of England and go to Canada to play a game on the 4th is really something that we do not want to do.

"So we really would not be able to get most of the players who are available to us in England right now and probably only a few of them would be able to play," Brown insisted.

As a result, Brown will have to look to local-based players, as well as those based outside of England.

"So it's about looking at the guys we have in Sweden and the players we have here at home," Brown said.

Archived