Frank Yallop resigns from Canada coaching post

dbailey62

Guest speedmonk42

Hmmmm. I would give him credit for what he has done. However, my instinct crys foul when I think of him for coaching Canada.

Something just isn't right there, can't exactly say what.

I think a dutch coach fills the position well from a technical, cultural and marketing perspective.

And by cultural I mean in both a compatibility sense and a European professional sense, the same as our players.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Well I disagree we are worse off without Yallop but Antic would be an interesting candidate. There are two problems I would foresee with him. First is he has coached about 1/4 of the best teams in Spain including Real Madrid and Barcelona so he may be well above the CSA's budget whether or not he is with or without a club at the moment. The second problem is he has no national team experience and we saw how much problems this created with Yallop who had a fair bit of club success though admittedly at a far lower level than Antic. If we could get him at a reasonable price it might be worth taking a chance because he has shown himself to be an excellent coach so far. Interestingly enough he was wrongly fired/replaced by T&T coach Beenhakker at Real Madrid who would also be an interesting candidate for us.

I say we are worse off without him as right now we no longer know who figures on the depth chart and we don't know what style we are going to play. So those playing comfortably in the 4-3-3 now do not know if they'd play and in what way. So that is worse off. Keeping the former coach at least assured you those two things. Having a new one will eventually put those back in place, but not without a period of adaptation.

You are right about Antic, he was unjustly fired from Real Madrid one December when the team had yet to lose in the season. I think if he were really money-hungry he'd be coaching, instead he does the odd radio commentary and he is very quick in his game analysis, he sees what is happening immediately. I think he is great. He caretaked parts of seasons for a few teams like Barca (good job, solid defensive team and discipline), Oviedo (signing Stan Collymore, a funny failure that move, and they were relegated, perhaps inevitable that though), but would be excellent for us. And I am sure he has some old Yugoslav contacts in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Dick Howard brought him up prior to the Netherlands vs. Argentina World Cup match. He ran through van't Schip's backstory and mentioned that "some people" have been talking about him as a candidate for the Canadian position.

Sure hope some people ain't me, or we're hooped. Don't know too much about him except that he's born in Forskin Jimmy (Ft. St. John), he's Joe Nieuwendyks cousin, starred at Ajax, and is assistant to MVB. Hey, that's already a better resume than Yallop. To my recollection, Canuck Oranje brought his name up a year or so ago. He probably knows a lot more than I.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

His is a name that has not been heard in a while, but I would like Canada to have a look at Egil Olsen.

He knows the work that the Norwegian Football Association did behind the scenes to develop young talent, and any coach that took a country of 4 million to the #2 ranking in the world has to be worth at least a look.

Egil "Drillo" Olsen is still a hero to many Norwegians for his work with our NT in the '90s, but his shine has been somewhat tarnished by two miserably failed stints as a club coach - with Wimbledon and Fredrikstad.

He had one huge advantage when he started as our NT coach: he had been coach of the U21 NT, and presided over perhaps the best generation of young players Norway had ever seen. Those youngsters became the core of the mens NT, and all of them bought into his philosophy of collective spirit and hard work.

Because of his emphasis on the individual sacrificing everything for the team, his club stints have been marred with conflict with established players who didn't agree with his philosophy. I'm not sure he would be the best choice for Canada at this time.

Guest Jeffery S.

Been stewing over this for a few days: you don't want to answer the press every day asking you why Canada did not qualify, so you resign and go elsewhere.

Sorry guys, but after being a bit circumspect, my basic feeling is "Frank Yallop, what an asshole you are." That is what I feel deep down, my gut reaction. The guy is a prick, but don't worry, I'll get over it.

Good riddance Frank, you were a supreme disaster from day one.

Doesn't anyone else have a bit of this reaction down where the gastric juices simmer?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Doesn't anyone else have a bit of this reaction down where the gastric juices simmer?

I do. I have been a Yallop supporter, even through the disastrous WC qualifying campaign. Very disappointing to have him up and quit just when he got the team playing well.

Canada can be the next Aus for 2010 with someone like this CV holder.

2005 Sports Nutrition

2004 UEFA Professinal Diploma Award

2004 FA Psychology Award

2002 FA Coach Educators Certificate

2000 Appointed to the Panel of FIFA Instructors

1999 USSF A Licence

1998 UEFA A Licence

1996 FA Advanced Licence

Plus International Experience.

Guest speedmonk42

Yeah, I can't say I found any of that overly convincing.

I would take Mitchell now, over this guy.

I'll throw another name in the pot who has been mentioned before in connection with CSA posts. Former Scotland (1993-2001) manager Craig Brown. He is apparently a friend of Sharpe's though I don't know if that is a good or bad thing now that Sharpe is gone. He had one of the better records ever for a Scottish manager and the team dropped 30 to 40 places in the rankings once he left and Vogts took over. A very honourable guy who insisted on leaving after they failed to qualify for 2002 World Cup even though he was begged to stay. They did qualify for the World Cup in 98 under him. He is very well respected in England and throughout his reign most of the English fans lamented that he wasn't their manager instead of the cast of characters they had. When he was mentioned for other posts some here (who knew nothing about him) complained about hiring a Scot. This is very misguided as he is an excellent national team coach used to getting superior results from inferior, underdog teams. Probably one of the few coaches of this calibre and experience who we might be able to afford.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I'll throw another name in the pot who has been mentioned before in connection with CSA posts. Former Scotland (1993-2001) manager Craig Brown. He is apparently a friend of Sharpe's though I don't know if that is a good or bad thing now that Sharpe is gone. He had one of the better records ever for a Scottish manager and the team dropped 30 to 40 places in the rankings once he left and Vogts took over. A very honourable guy who insisted on leaving after they failed to qualify for 2002 World Cup even though he was begged to stay. They did qualify for the World Cup in 98 under him. He is very well respected in England and throughout his reign most of the English fans lamented that he wasn't their manager instead of the cast of characters they had. When he was mentioned for other posts some here (who knew nothing about him) complained about hiring a Scot. This is very misguided as he is an excellent national team coach used to getting superior results from inferior, underdog teams. Probably one of the few coaches of this calibre and experience who we might be able to afford.

The question might be whether you agree with Daniel's post above -because he's no spring chicken. He'd be 70 in 2010.

Speaking of old coaches, Japan just hired a 65 year old to take them to 2010, and judging but the all the gray hair and decrepit bodies on the touchlines this year, many countries are going the older route when hiring managers at the moment.

BTW, Arena is looking more and more like he is gonna be blacklisted by his entire country. Pity it is mostly becuase he made the kind of honest,thoughtful, and even constructive comments that Yallop SHOULD have made on his way out the door. And in Arena's case at least, people forgot how much he actually DID accomplish over his many years in charge. I totally expect him to emerge as coaching one of the US's key opponents in CONCACAF, maybe even Canada.

Perhaps this was noted elsewhere but there is some talk of Yallop as a candidate for the US National Team. WTF?

http://www.dailynews.com/galaxy/ci_3987633

Speculation on the future of U.S. national team coach Bruce Arena will begin heating up, and one possible successor could be Yallop. But he said Tuesday he's content with where he's at.

"Right now, I'm really happy with my move to the Galaxy," he said. "I want to get a win to start with."

Lalas, however, said he wouldn't be surprised if U.S. soccer officials call him about Yallop, whom he considers a strong candidate for the position should Arena step down.

"My first choice would be the guy leading the team out here," he said at practice Tuesday. "I think he's on top of everybody's list, but they're going to have to pry him away from me."

Archived