Frank Yallop resigns from Canada coaching post

dbailey62

Well, this will change things quite markedly if Frank takes the job offer from Lalas.

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_3907236

Struggling Galaxy fire Sampson

By Larry Morgan, Staff writer

CARSON — It was just over a week ago that Galaxy president and general manager Alexi Lalas sharply criticized the players for the team's abysmal start to the 2006 Major League Soccer season. Tuesday, he decided to spread that blame.

Lalas fired head coach Steve Sampson after the Galaxy won only two of their first 11 games. They have lost their last six in a row. The 48-year-old Sampson was hired on Aug. 18, 2004 to replace Sigi Schmid, now with the Columbus Crew, and won the MLS Cup and U.S. Open cups in 2005, but also had a disappointing regular-season record of 17-24-10 (.431).

Help is on the way, however, for the struggling franchise. The Galaxy are expected to announce today the hiring of Frank Yallop, the MLS coach of the year in 2001 when he was with the San Jose Earthquakes. Yallop, 43, won two MLS titles with the Earthquakes (in 2001 and 2003) and has been coaching the Canadian national men's team since 2004.

He takes over a Galaxy team that has played poorly from the start this season. They recently went on a scoreless streak that lasted 525 minutes and have the worst record in the league, 2-8-1.

"It has been an honor to be the head coach of the Los Angeles Galaxy for the last two years," Sampson said in a statement. "It was truly a privilege to bring two championships to the fans of Los Angeles.

"I truly enjoyed my time here and wish everyone all the best in the future."

Lalas, who watched part of Tuesday's practice but left before it was over, said relieving Sampson of his duties was a difficult choice to make.

"I take no pleasure in doing this," he said. "But I'm in charge of the team, and I'm responsible to the fans to give them the kind of team they deserve. The Galaxy standard admittedly is very high, and this is not a question of blame but accountability.

"We are all responsible for the situation the Galaxy (find themselves) in right now, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steve, who worked tirelessly to rectify the situation. But ultimately the decision is based on results, and those haven't been good enough for the Galaxy."

Galaxy midfielder Pete Vagenas said the move caught him off-guard.

"I think that everyone is a little bit surprised, to be quite blunt," he said. "At the same time, it is one of those things where we realize that this is a business and this is about end results. This is about what you have done for me lately.

"I think a clear message was sent, not only to our coaching staff in particular, but to our players. I hope this hits home."

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny to read how americans/MLS fans are in love with FY and that he's not very popular among the Canadians fans out here.

It looks like he'll coach the Galaxy but does that means that he'll leave the CMNT???

Of all the criticism that has been launched at Yallop, there has been only one assessment that carries any water at all, and I think if Frank decides to coach the Galaxy and eschew his responsibilities with our National Team, then it will be because of this one assessment: some coaches are most effective at the club level, and others are most effective on the international stage. Yallop, I suspect, is the former.

With that said, I've a feeling that Yallop will remain as coach of Canada, though I cannot imagine how he will be able to invest the sort of time and energy required to make Canada successful when he'll have such club committments. I know that we are sort of in limbo until after the MLS season wraps, but I'd assume Lalas will want to sign Yallop to a multi-year deal.

As for replacement coaches for Yallop, Mitchell would be great but he's damned busy until the end of next summer. Mind you, that might work out, what with qualifying starting shortly thereabouts.

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s National Team head coach, Frank Yallop, has decided to leave his current position for the vacant LA Galaxy head coaching position and will begin work with his new club immediately.

The MLS job was made vacant yesterday following the firing of head coach Steve Sampson, whose tenure as the Galaxy boss lasted nearly two years. Sampson, who had brought the ‘double’ to LA in 2005 after winning both the MLS Cup and US Open Cup in that year, was mired in the longest losing streak (6) in club history and found his Galaxy languishing at the bottom of the league table.

Yallop, whose record was 8-9-3 since his hiring on December 16, 2003, will be making a return to the league where he began his coaching career as an assistant in 1999 with the Tampa Bay Mutiny. Two years later, the former Canadian international took the reins of the San Jose Earthquakes and grabbed two MLS Cup titles in 2001 and 2003 before returning to Canada.

In a statement released today, the Canadian Soccer Association stated that “it was disappointed that Frank Yallop had made the decision to step away from his role as the head coach of Canada’s National Team; especially since the more recent results have looked very promising. However, the Association would like to thank Frank for his effort and dedication and wish both he and his family the best of luck in Los Angeles.”

The former Ipswich Town defender made 52 appearances for his country in an international career that spanned seven years. He made his debut against Mexico in 1990 and then became a regular on the Canadian defence, appearing in every match he was available for from his debut through to the end of qualifying for the 1998 World Cup. His final game was against Costa Rica in 1997. Yallop also captained Canada in 1997 for a World Cup qualifier against the USA.

Canada’s search for Yallop’s replacement will begin immediately.

Well what a bust that turned out to be. I'm surprised because I thought Yallop's patriotism ran deeper than this - I could understand leaving the national team to coach Toronto FC, but the fricken' L.A. Galaxy? He might as well have stayed at San Jose.

Ironic that he would leave just when it looked like we were getting somewhere with him. I hope whoever the new coach is doesn't take centuries to identify the available Canadian talent or we will fail to qualify for the World Cup once again. The need for more friendlies just increased dramatically.

Is it just me or do our coaches always seem to be leaving when we get a change of CSA president?

Very bad news for Canadian soccer...

I'm curious to know who will be his successor

I'm already afraid that they'll wait to choose the same trainer for Toronto FC and we won't play any friendly more before next spring

We were on the right way

I am one of the Yallop supporters. I really thought he was bringing along the national team quite nicely since the WCQ failure. They were becoming a team hard to beat who were strong and fast (and starting to retain possession). Lets hope his successor can follow in his footsteps. The combined Toronto FC and National team job seems an interesting possibility. Here's wondering (hoping) that the reason for the quick exit is to make room for a big name international manager who would take the reigns of both teams (perhaps after the WC)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Is it just me or do our coaches always seem to be leaving when we get a change of CSA president?

I'm sure they're not related.;) All the best to Frank in L.A.

Don't really know why you chose the Galaxy, but doesn't matter ...

Now the search for head coach should include those outside and even

those that may be high-profile. Perhaps a Latin American that

would understand CONCACAF? A Brazilian? Any guesses?

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Now the search for head coach should include those outside and even

those that may be high-profile. Perhaps a Latin American that

would understand CONCACAF? A Brazilian? Any guesses?

Sven Goran-Eriksson's free now isn't he?;)

I'm happy that he's leaving. I noticed the improvement in the level of play & in the results for the past 12 months but I'll never forgive him for having taken Pat Onstad for the #1 goalie in WCQ 2006. He gave something like 4 bad goals in 6 games. That's a lot in soccer.

Is Dale Mitchell a candidate?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I'm going to assume that money will be a factor in who the CSA picks as the new manager.

I do realise that; it was more than a little tounge-in-cheek...

But, on the other hand, a top coach is an investment. Someone who can create a better team that gets to the WC can also bring $$ into the CSA coffers if they're smart about it.

quote:Originally posted by Christian B.

I'm happy that he's leaving. I noticed the improvement in the level of play & in the results for the past 12 months but I'll never forgive him for having taken Pat Onstad for the #1 goalie in WCQ 2006. He gave something like 4 bad goals in 6 games. That's a lot in soccer.

Is Dale Mitchell a candidate?

4 bad goals??? That's clear Onstad bashing. He gave only one bad goal and it was against Costa Rica (very bad mistake).

I can live with Onstad starting (he was our only keeper playing games at a decent level) but the insertion of Peeters, Simpson, Corrazin and Watson, that I have a problem with.

But to be fair to FY, things were improving since last summer and I did like what I saw, specially against Spain and Austria.

Well I think this is a big blow. Our massive love for Tam asside, he had picked a team lately that most of us liked and we were getting results. I really thought we were playing an attacking brand of soccer with the 4-3-3 and earning results. Now we're at square one.

That being said I didn't want him to do both for LA or Toronto and I can't believe he'd go on TV the day before resigning talking about our bright future. That's just foolish.

Anyway I'm disappointed and completely mystified by this move. I completely don't understand why he would go to LA.

cheers,

matthew

Yallop IMHO has been ok.not great and not bad, but I am surprised, because I thought the MLS expansion would have been a dream come true for the guy and for building the core of his 2010 team. And for the first time, we might have three soccer specific stadiums in additions to Commonwealth, come WCQ time.

Maybe he is jaded with how his program gets treated by CSA or maybe he just doesnºt feel like spending a lot of time in a low key position. In all honesty, if this was his intention, he should have quit long ago in 2004.

Anyhow, whoever the next coach may end up being, he will most likely have an easier job compared to Yallop and Osieck as he might have a chance at using some players that dont have to fly around the world to get to a world cup qualifying game.

Archived