Frank Yallop resigns from Canada coaching post

dbailey62

I think the man for the job is Colin Miller. The new man has to understand the unique challenges of CONCACAF. He's been there. He's already aware of the player pool, and he'd be committed long term. Whether he'd want to relocate in Toronto is a question, especially if the CSA wants the MNT coach to also coach FC.

You wouldn't even need to change the support staff. If you look at Canada's last few games, there's been a marked improvement in the performance level. This is a huge decision, at a critical time. A foreign coach would set us back.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what Frank Yallop is quoted (on Sky Sports) as saying about leaving the National Team

I missed the day-to-day grind of being around the players, of winning and losing,

Those are the things that go along with being a coach and I think I missed that. I know I missed MLS - that was a big part of me coming here, too

I love working with the players and my staff, and I think that is what I really want to do

This gives me an opportunity to do that

I agree that there is something wrong about all this. We don't know the whole story. I think the new CSA Pres should publicly state his opinion of the MNT and the need for more money.

For a new coach, we need to go foreign - there isn't much in Canada to choose from and no perfect candidate. Forest has never coached. Bates is too valuable in his technical role, and since he was also brought in by the previous CSA Pres, we don't know where he stands now. Mitchell seems appealing, but he's never won anything! Also, for the next year, the U-20 team is actually more important than the senior team because a good result at home next summer could become the biggest thing in Canadian soccer history and change public/media support for soccer in this country.

For foreign coaches, forget about the huge names. Hiddink has signed with Russia and Scolari has renewed with Portugal. Martin O'Neill is back looking for work, but he's probably too expensive and his wife's cancer rules out a distant job. Sven is available, but he would be WAY too expensive, and the secretaries at the CSA would oppose this!

Forget about Latin coaches, if you want a style that Canadian players can adapt to, and which will work universally, then you have to think Dutch! The Dutch style is not only entertaining, it's also well respected and it seems to "travel" well internationally. I believe that there are four Dutch coaches in the World Cup, more than any other, and of course there is ZERO British and Canadian coaches there. Dutch teams, particularly Ajax, are the best at developing talent.

Since Yallop has been using 4-3-3, the switch will be relatively easy. I therefore suggest that the CSA do everything possible to convince Van't Schip to come over. This way, we will have a "Canadian" coach who will have fresh eyes/opinions and high standards. He had a great club and international career as a player, and has been coaching the youth at Ajax - the very heart of the best system in the world. Since Cruyff won't be available, we should draft Van't Schip and finally bring him home!

Just out of curiousity (I'm not applying, so don't start any "lets draft KAS to coach the MNT" threads), how much does the CSA pay its' coaches? What did Holger and Yallop make? Also, does FIFA require a certain level of qualifications (coaching badges), like an "A" license, to be an international coach, or is it up to the CSA to decide on its' own what is appropriate?

I have a problem with this argument for Dale Mitchell: "he never won anything". Are you expecting a World Cup winner, a Copa America winner or a Euro winner to come in Canada and coach our National team. You could say that for a lot of coaches, what does Arena, Bora and co have won as coaches?

Mitchell won 2 CONCACAF berth for the WYC with our U-20 team and he led the team to a 1/4 final appearance in 2003 and as a player he went to the WC with Canada.

I'm not saying I'm a huge DM fan as our future MNT coach but wanted to point that I don't understand the argument about winning anything.

quote:Yallop said:

I missed the day-to-day grind of being around the players, of winning and losing,

Those are the things that go along with being a coach and I think I missed that. I know I missed MLS - that was a big part of me coming here, too.

I had wondered about the transition from being a manager of a club that is together day in and day out, to a manager of a country that only gets together once in a blue moon.

I would sometimes wonder - what does Frank Yallop do on a Monday morning? Does he wake up and say "Time to go to work!" - and then what exactly would he do?

I'm not sure that a Canadian manager is necessarily a full-time job, but that being said, it would be tough to juggle two responsibilities when the national team is together. I was looking forward to seeing how it might work out with Yallop coaching both Toronto FC and the national team... Oh well.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Our budget limitations are notorious, anyone coming on here and naming a famous coach is being childish. WE are at least half a million dollars short of hiring anyone with any top notch reputation. After that, there are tons of chances out there for someone with talent looking for a new challenge.

I think it is this simple. CMT coach gets paid about $500k/yr. Many good coaches get over $1m/yr with the top coaches over $2m/yr. It may not be all money but... LA has the money. Frank has "the stuff" they want. I think it is that easy. They bought him.

I have to agree with loyola's last post re: Mitchell. In fact, he's achieved a lot of difficult results in CONCACAF. He's played at Azteca and every other ****hole along the way, so I'm sure he's as acquainted as any with the difficulties players face.

Arena would be a great choice but I doubt we could afford his salary or his ego. I don't think he'd tolerate Pipe and crew.

The other reservation I have with Mitchell is that he may not relate well enough to the guys we need in Europe. If we were about to play our first match at WC '06, I'd want to see: Hirschfeld, Stalteri, Devos, Edgar, Klukowski, Bobby, Hutchinson, DeGuzman, Radzinski, Hume, & McKenna. I'm not sure Mitchell could bring this line-up together (in the reality of no WC).

van't Schip on the other hand could inspire our best players. I feel like a cohesive starting eleven should be able to beat all the second tier CONCACAF opposition at home, and draw away. European guys like JVS have played in Turkey. Other than Azteca, I don't think there's a tougher place to get a result in our region.

Guest speedmonk42

Mitchell will probably be a good future choice. I hope he takes his time and gains more experience like he is getting now. He is a smart guy, and doing what he is going because he is good at it.

There is one thing to consider here. It doesn't MATTER who the coach is unless they can play at least 5 quality preperation games with the SAME squad before qualification.

In 1986 TW told me they had 10.

This goes toward the Toronto FC with 10 prep games VS. European players flying through 5 time zones with no preperation games argument.

I am willing to bet I would do better with 10 prep games than Gus Hiddink with none.

Anyone compiled a list of pre-qualification friendlies by squad and coach per WCQ??? Will look into that later.

There was an interesting article in last weekend's Sunday New York Times profilinjg Arena. It may have been self-serving but he stated very strongly that only an American can understand what it means to be a player growing up in the US. Much of what he said would seem to resonate here. My guess is that it is one heck of an adjustment to come from a soccer mad reality to the North American reality.

I don't think the CSA could afford to pay Arena what he's worth. Besides if the US has a good cup run, it looks like we will, he'll probably try his hand in Europe. He's been linked with the Ipswich job in the past so obviously there is some interest. Beenhakker would be a good fit for Canada.

The better question would be "Would Arena be at all interested in the challenge of taking the job in Canada?" In his case, I think he is a pretty good national coach, but I wonder if he'd also like to get back to club coaching. Or, would he get offers from elsehwere in the world. Sort of seems unlikely that clubs or national sides in other parts of the world would be particulary interested in a Yank. The bias is not fair, but it is real. I've said it before--and earlier in this post--but I feel Arena could be a very good choice, especially if you take into account Nolando's very good points about his understanding CONCACAF and our "situation."

Who will apply for this job? Likely middle-of-the-road foreign coaches, a handful of Canadian coaches, and one or two Yanks. Of that lot, would we rather another Bates or Osiek, or a Mitchell? And, will the CSA court potential coaches, or passively sit and wait to see who might toss in a resume? I think they need to do both.

I'm somewhat mystified how people believe being the National Team head coach is not a full time position...

Of course it is, it goes well beyond simply picking a team and telling them to kick the ball around. The National team coach should be involved in every facet of youth and player development within the CSA, which is what Holger did a great job doing. I never really got the impression Yallop got his hands dirty.

On the other hand Holger was a miserable git, now if we coud find a coach who is willing to work at youth development as well as someone who is strong with tactical strategies, who can also be a leader to inspire players rather than ailienating them... then we'd hae 1 heck of a coach.

I'm not so sure this person exists in Canada yet.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

The National team coach should be involved in every facet of youth and player development within the CSA, which is what Holger did a great job doing. I never really got the impression Yallop got his hands dirty.

Holger's involvement with player development was as the Technical Director, a title he held along with his coaching position. Frank was only hired to be the men's coach.

Yah, knows it's really easy to blame Yallop for everything. But why stick around a National team that the National Federation gives little support. Then our national players are more interested in their club careers and we the fans blame the coach because there's no games.....but the best players don't wanna show up for the games......arghhhhh what do we do.

Hire away the Pres. of Hockey Canada I say. They get kids early and support them and make them commit to playing internationals almost as gratitude for the help Hockey Canada gives them individually and I'm not trying to be a smart arse.

WTF has CSA done for soccer in this country that they can beat their chest over. They got one stadium maybe built in one city that will have one team (completely ignoring USL teams) and then not even getting Canadian players treated as domestic players through out the whole League.

Why any pro player or pro coach would want to stay and work for CSA is beyond me. Nothing will change no matter who the coach is untill CSA admits they don't have a freaking clue how to run national programmes and look at what other succesfull programmes do in Canada and attempt to emmulate them.

Man, do I feel better letting that out........Good Luck Frank, you escaped feel real lucky. Best rant I've had in ages

A Look Back at 2003:

Arena believes Canada is prime for Yallop

AP

United States national team boss Bruce Arena voiced his opinion that regional rivals Canada could not go wrong with the hiring of San Jose Earthquake manager Frank Yallop.

At 39 years old, Yallop is definitely one of the most respected - and now - sought-after coaches in CONCACAF. After leading the Earthquakes to a second MLS title, the former Ipswich Town defender and Vancouver native looks an almost certainty to take the vacant Canadian national team job.

"I think Frank Yallop is a fantastic coach," said Arena last week when discussing the regional draw for the 2006 World Cup. "If that's the direction he chooses to go with his career, I think he'll do a great job.

"I think maybe the first time around is going to be difficult for him, but regardless of whether Canada can qualify for (the) World Cup, if not I think that Frank will remain in that position and position Canada at least for the next World Cup. I think the world of Frank. I think he's a great coach and can do a great job. He would be a good choice for Canada."

Yallop took over the Earthquakes in 2001 after stints as an assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Mutiny and D.C. United. In three seasons, Yallop has made the playoffs each campaign with two title runs only interrupted by a 2002 upset by the Columbus Crew. He is currently under contract with the Earthquakes and MLS for two seasons, and an unknown amount of compensation would be due to the league from the Canadian Soccer Association.

The coach admitted that talks with the Canadian FA were "entering their latter stages" on Tuesday. Yallop expects a final decision and announcement to be made next week. Current assistant Dominic Kinnear is the leading candidate if Yallop leaves, but Earthquakes General Manager Johnny Moore admitted others would be interviewed for the absence.

Archived