2007 WYC Final in Toronto

Elias

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For purely selfish reasons, I'm glad the final came to Toronto, although it does jeopardize our chances of having Canada's group here (although from what I understand, the opening match will be played here as well).

Regardless, I think it's tough to argue that any other city could offer the kind of unconditional support (in terms of many nationalities would be extremely well supported) that Toronto can. Perhaps Montreal and Vancouver, but even that's a stretch, I'd say.

Boy was I wrong about Edmonton being a shoe in for the final and the Conservatives winning a strong minority. This decision was based on two things. A new stadium for MLS Toronto.

Oh can not forget about the sponsors

Don't worry Telus (a major company in Edmonton), I will stay with my long distance plan. I will use Tide and my pregnant wife will keep eating Nutella sandwiches. To CIBC, my monthly payment will be there at the first of the month. Do not worry Sportsnet, I will still watch all of Canada's games. Tape delayed or not. Because I am a loyal supporter.

But wake up CSA and smell the stech your causing......

Lets host the final in a 25,000 seat stadium with the top price of $50. Yes the u19 girls event tickets was $5 for registered soccer players. Why would we want to market to young soccer players? Its not like they want to play for Canada some day. Heaven forbid watch them on TV.

Yes that marketing machine know as the Toronto MLS and all their season ticket holders will support this event. Its not like the Edmonton Eskimos have a 25,000 season ticket base and average 40,000 a game. No, the Edmonton Oilers did not sellout Commonwealth Stadium. Your right CSA, Edmonton could not make a successful final. We only support world events, oops I thought this event was world class. In Edmonton, we know how to make events affordable, family friendly and most of all work together.

Rugby Canada is doing a better job moving events all over Canada. Look at their sponsors, more that nine.

I admit we do not support our soccer teams that well.

1) Honduras crowd was poor but three days of rain does that to you and CSA did a great job advertising.

2) Look at two of our owners - Peter "I would never trade Wayne" Pocklington and twentysome people who thought we would average 20,000 fans a game for A League soccer.

But enough all ready. I will purchase tickets to the event and take my son and unborn child to every game. I will think of it as supporting the players and hope that just one of them will take us to the World Cup. But with this braintrust in CSA, I can see us going when all countries are invited to World Cup 2086 in Canada. By the way I think Toronto will host that final.

quote:Originally posted by jasonm

Rugby Canada is doing a better job moving events all over Canada.

That is basically the only part of your post that I can agree with.

The only matches that Canada's men's team have played east of Edmonton in the past 6 years were the Belize blowouts.

To paraphrase Daniel in another thread: "God forbid that we get any games in the East."

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The only matches that Canada's men's team have played east of Edmonton in the past 6 years were the Belize blowouts.

To paraphrase Daniel in another thread: "God forbid that we get any games in the East."

With the new stadium in Toronto, you will get to watch more MNT games than anyone else. MLSE will make sure of that.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, let´s see if it actually gets built.

If it does, even as an Edmotonchuckian, I think it makes sense to have both the opening and the final in Toronto, for many of the reasons stated by posters above. Edmonton has and will continue to get its share of the soccer limelight.

Of course the burden will be on Toronto to provide what it hasn't when hosting sporting events.

They fail, the rest of the country goes down with them.

A bit disappointing for Edmonton supported the program for so long but nonetheless, I guess I'll try to sort of understand the thinking that 30000 empty seats might not look too good. Well, they could have given us the opener at least.

They better do a good job advertising this tournament though and also the Brazil friendly coming up.

Guest Jeffery S.

Almost certainly the payoff will be that Canada will play in Edmonton first round. If that doesn't happen I think Edmonton would have more cause to be upset.

When does world qualifying for this tournament begin, anyone know?

Well, Toronto is getting atleast one canadian game, since we are having the opening of the tourney. I figure canada is going to do a tour of canada. Then make there way back here for the QF's, Semi's and then Win the finals in the Center of the universe and then the world will collapse into itself

The article I posted yesterday mentioned that the first Canada game is in Toronto (the opener & to ensure Canada plays at least one game in the new national team stadium) and the next two in Edmonton. Where they would go from there once they advance I guess we can't say until we know where the 1st, 2nd or possibly 3rd place team will go.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The problem with in Canada is every time a decision is made to award something to a certain city a bunch of me first regionalists will start complaining that they were not chosen. If Toronto happens to be chosen for anything this reaction is twice as strong. When is the last time Toronto hosted a Canadian National Team event? Edmonton has sure had its fair share and has at times been successful and at times unsuccessful. Sure there was a good turnout for the girl's tournament but the tickets were almost free. Don't forget that Edmonton's last event was the World Cup Qualification game against a fairly attractive opponent in Honduras and Edmonton barely outdrew the crowd that little Kingston drew for a match against Belize, a country I am sure many in attendance had not even heard of before. I also think FIFA strongly preferred Toronto because it is more prestigious to have the tournament in a large international city and I am sorry to disappoint you Edmontonians but very few people in the world are familiar with Edmonton yet everyone knows Toronto. I could also bitch about Ottawa not being chosen as Landsdowne can be expanded to 50 000 like it was for the Grey Cup. Instead I am happy for Toronto and happy that Ottawa and Montreal are getting some games and that we have something to look forward to as Canadian soccer fans for once.

My goodness what a reasonable post. This surely doesn't belong on a Voyageurs thread.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The article I posted yesterday mentioned that the first Canada game is in Toronto (the opener & to ensure Canada plays at least one game in the new national team stadium) and the next two in Edmonton. Where they would go from there once they advance I guess we can't say until we know where the 1st, 2nd or possibly 3rd place team will go.

We'd better have a huge, loud Ultra/Voyageurs section organised for that game G-L. We need to show the world that this city can really get behind our national teams.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The problem with in Canada is every time a decision is made to award something to a certain city a bunch of me first regionalists will start complaining that they were not chosen. If Toronto happens to be chosen for anything this reaction is twice as strong. When is the last time Toronto hosted a Canadian National Team event? Edmonton has sure had its fair share and has at times been successful and at times unsuccessful. Sure there was a good turnout for the girl's tournament but the tickets were almost free. Don't forget that Edmonton's last event was the World Cup Qualification game against a fairly attractive opponent in Honduras and Edmonton barely outdrew the crowd that little Kingston drew for a match against Belize, a country I am sure many in attendance had not even heard of before. I also think FIFA strongly preferred Toronto because it is more prestigious to have the tournament in a large international city and I am sorry to disappoint you Edmontonians but very few people in the world are familiar with Edmonton yet everyone knows Toronto. I could also bitch about Ottawa not being chosen as Landsdowne can be expanded to 50 000 like it was for the Grey Cup. Instead I am happy for Toronto and happy that Ottawa and Montreal are getting some games and that we have something to look forward to as Canadian soccer fans for once.

I think that trying to couch this is regionalism is pretty weak Grizzly, It is frequently trotted out on this board and frankly in most cases, this one included is pure nonsense. Toronto does not have the facility that warrants holding the final. That much is patently clear, and the nonsense being spouted that 50,000 in attendance in Edmonton somehow won't look good is also pure drivel. Hey, If this were to be played at Skydome, I'd be all for it in Toronto. And I'd even buy the greater revenue nonsense that the CSA was spouting. In fact I am surprised the someone hasn't come on and torn apart the exceptionally misleading statements by Pipe regarding the cost of a ticket in Edmonton. This is not about Toronto Griz. I'll be at the final no matter where its held and it gives me a good excuse to visit a sister. $25, $50, $100 tickets make no difference to me.

But maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe it is unreasonable of me to think the CSA should try to maximize their revenues on this tournament. After all, the CSA did provide an extra quarter of a million dollars for the men's team in a world cup qualifying year so they could line up that impressive list of friendlies to prepare for qualifying. Same with the women's Olympic team. And of course, they do have such a track record of impecable, well reasoned decision making in all aspects of their operation. Maybe I am just incapable of giving them the benefit of the doubt despite their impressive set of accomplishments and the tremendous leadership they have shown in developing the canadian game.

Sorry for the sarcasm. But this is the typical weak, bureacratically safe decision that is the hallmark of an organization that is old and tired. And it is exactly the kind of decision that seperates the CSA from the USSF.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

How certain is this? I was hoping for selfish reasons to be able to just drive out to Edmonton to catch all the match but if this holds there'll be some air travel involved. Ug.

And that isn't just me. I can understand wanting to spread the matchs around but for the travelling fans, and I'm sure there'll be more than a few, this is a bad logistic.

I don't think it's a regionalistic debate. I think it's a calculated ploy by the CSA that is 100% targeted to justify their own existence.

I have no problem with Toronto or any Eastern city hosting quality and high profile matches, but to give both the first and last game to Toronto is quite unfair given not only the facilities in Edmonton, but the time and effort by the organizers and local volunteers. As I've said, even if the final went to Vancouver or Montreal.. I'd be disappointed personally, but fine with it as long as they had the facilites to do it.

I do think though that Ben Knight's latest article hits the nail on the head:

"Dear Stephen:

Congratulations on your victory. Sorry we weren't part of it.

We just awarded a major world sporting event to a parking lot. Please can we have our very big cheque?

Yours, with hugs: The City of Toronto."

Until the Toronto Stadium is up and running, Edmonton isn't out of it yet. There are always cost overruns, delays and Murphy's Law in effect with any construction project.

Regardless of the politics with this event (and boy are there politics), I challenge all Canadian based Voyageurs with a little bit of time on our hands to volunteer with this tournament. For Edmonton based members, check out www.albertasoccer.com and there is a volunteer form you can download and fax/email in to Val Close at the ASA.

This event is huge for Canada and may be what we need to turn the corner in terms of general cultural acceptance. We need to help in any way possible. Derek van Diest, the Sun columnist plays for my team (GO RIVER CITY!) and when a media group like the Sun supports soccer to the extent that they've had, you know things are looking up. A step back now would be reallllly bad. Regardless of our personal/regional opinions, let's do what we can to support this.

BS detectors (legal in Alberta) in Calgary and Edmonton were screaming yesterday over the 'more profitable' line trotted out by Monsieur ('There is NO Plan B') Pipe yesterday. That line had a clear 'corridor of credibility'[TM] originating from 36 Metcalfe St in downtown Ottawa extending just over 400 km west to the press conference in the GTA.

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by Ed

BS detectors (legal in Alberta)

I guess those BS detectors were only made legal in Alberta after Whoregreaves declared his intention to play for Canada.

Archived