2007 WYC Final in Toronto

Elias

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took you 24 hours to find a thread that proves that beachesl and Jeremy Loome attended the home opener. I don't see how this proves you didn't lie unless you are claiming to be one of the above posters as well. Judging from the quality and intelligence of their posts compared to yours I highly doubt this. Pathetic!

1. Wasn't the China WWC problem because of the SARS outbreak?

2. No one has mentionned this, as people are busy posting stank, but the final group games of each group wil have to be played simultaneously. That probably means that two of Canada's opponents will travel to BC for their final game.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

By whom? You?

I wasn't even participating.

You did.

It took you 24 hours to find a thread that proves that beachesl and Jeremy Loome attended the home opener. I don't see how this proves you didn't lie unless you are claiming to be one of the above posters as well. Judging from the quality and intelligence of their posts compared to yours I highly doubt this. Pathetic!

It's pathetic that you can't admit your wrong.

Now put up or shut up.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

1. Wasn't the China WWC problem because of the SARS outbreak?

Yes. Which is why they will host on 2007 and why Canada is in a fight to win 2011 against France and Australia.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

2. No one has mentionned this, as people are busy posting stank, but the final group games of each group wil have to be played simultaneously. That probably means that two of Canada's opponents will travel to BC for their final game.

Vancouver will likely be that venue.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

<mod>Ok first off let's stop the personal attacks floating around here by DoyleG, morrison, Domi Rulezz, et al. Let's keep it on topic</mod>

oi! that's slander [:P]

I don't recall ever insulting or making personal attacks at any member on this forum.

I'm not exactly sure what a 'G-L dream world' is

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has something to do with Scarlett Johansson, Elisha Cuthbert, Charlotte Church and both members of Tatu.

Oh, and not forgetting Lindsay Lohan if she regains her weight.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has something to do with Scarlett Johansson, Elisha Cuthbert, Charlotte Church and both members of Tatu.

What about that chick from Sin City?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Haha.

And here I was assuming that G-Man's 'G-L dream world' consisted of multiple clones of you prancing about with harps and wearing togas.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

It's pathetic that you can't admit your wrong.

Now put up or shut up.

You can't even quote someone properly (that was Grizzly's post, not mine), yet now apparently I have to admit I'm wrong for something I didn't even say. [8)]

And yeah, that old post you found to counter Grizzly's doesn't really prove anything other than the fact that you knew what the weather was in Edmonton that day, and that Commonwealth uses barcode scanners (just like every other sporting venue on the planet).

<mod>The last 15 posts in this thread haven't been anywhere near the topic, so here's one last effort to steer this 11 page thread back.</mod>

Ok, I stand corrected. The WWC in 2003 was indeed lifted out of China because of SARS (and not poor planning by the Chinese). Daniel's got a better memory than me. I've blocked the SARS summer out of my mind (incredibly bad for the ESL business), and I just remembered having a bad feeling about the whole affair (which was probably 'cause the USA didn't want to share).

However, I'd also like to point out that Free Kick and I are arguing the same point, albeit from slightly different points of view. My point in 'connecting the dots' as far as a correlation between the U-19-WWC-WYC was not intended to illustrate that FIFA is just full of warm fuzzies and that we somehow earned the moral 'right' to host the WYC because of it.

Taking a much more cynical view of the process (as does Free Kick I assume), I believe that there was quite a bit of 'back room dealing' involved in the whole process and that trade-offs did occur. Taking on an inaugural tournament with a less high-profile product and turning it into a revenue generating event certainly did give us enough bargaining chips to get invited to the table... which led to us negotiating the 2007 WYC.

Archived