2007 WYC Final in Toronto

Elias

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question:

How many people would fill up your "we love monarchy" stadium if say... Iran was playing Italy

Argentina and Brazil?... and remember, these are junior sides, not full internationals.

as Grizzly has pointed out, the pro-canadian crowd that witnessed the Honduras game in Edmonton versus the games in Kingston versus lowly Belize was about the same

I do not doubt you would do well if it were a Canada final, but realistically, a Canada Q-F would be a good tournament for this country

I'd give the final to Montreal before Edmonton, unless you can assure me Canada can reach the final of course.

Funny thing is, didn't Alberta's soccer association vote for this Toronto based National Soccer Stadium, the partnership that is part of it with MLSE and allowing MLS into Canada under MLSE's exclusive control nationwide?

They've signed on with the program. What the Hell did they think? That the CSA stepfather wasn't going to give his flesh and blood newborn baby better treatment?

Hey <s>Commonwealth</s>Cinderella, what colour is the sky in your world?

Personaly, I think Canada's group should be out of Edmonton, lock, stock, and barrel. But that being said it would look pretty retarded if the only brand new legacy stadium to be built in Canada for this tourny didn't see the Canadian team play in at some point.

With every press conference by the CSA I become more and more concearned about this WYC. It'll be a miracle, and one performed at the civic levels by the various hosts I'm going to add, if this whole show comes off.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Takedown! Let's put the boots to the CSA, like they did to Canada's 'national stadium'

"The best response to this would probably be for Edmonton to fill the joint anyway for all the games here and rub the CSA's nose in it in front of Sepp Blatter.

Maybe Edmonton will get over this and do just that. But, boy, is that hard to see happening right now. This is a city which today wants to tell the CSA to go away and never come back."

Full article

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Soccer/2006/01/28/1415811-sun.html

069.gif089.gif

Don't think they are going to have to worry about seeing team Canada around. The new Toronto stadium will become the national stadium. Plus with new stadiums in Vancouver, Montreal, and even potentially Halifax if they win the Commonwealth Games (Halifax-London 5 hours direct?), Edmontonians don't need to worry about Canada's national teams anymore.

The CSA really has no limits to how backwards they are. Playing the final in front of 20000 or playing the final in front of 60000. 20000 will make more money, eh? How much are the tickets going to be then? 60 bucks? 70? 80? I never got a freebee for the girls and i paid more than 20. I saw over 50000 in the Stadium for a bunch of teenage girls. The girls got world wide attention because of the crowds they were getting here in Edmonton. 20000 in TO will get you squat and a yawn. 60000 will get you front page and it wouldn't matter if you got it in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton or Thunder Bay. 60000 beats 20, no matter where you live. I read in the paper that Edmonton and province were kicking in around a million bucks(just to start) to get in there for the final. Apparently, TO made no initial financial commitment.

Oh yeah, i simply love the idea of Canada having to play all over the flipping country instead of prepping and playing all thier preliminary matches in one stadium. Thats really brilliant.

I would have given TO the Canadian preliminary matches. It would sell out, it's the National Team Stadium. Makes sense. I wouldn't have an argument but to give them the Final! 20000 seats? Stupid.

The CSA is amazing. Just when you think they couldn't top themselves....

Let me preface this by saying I can totally understand the disappointment by Edmontonians that they aren't getting the final when they thought they likely were going to get it. If I lived in the area I'd be disappointed too.

However, Terry Jones' comments that he doesn't give two drops of $hit about all the games Edmonton is getting, including two guaranteed Canada games (if not more) I find grossly offensive and make me lose any sympathy for him. So you don't give a crap about getting more Canada games than any other city? I'm sure the citizens of Vancouver, Victoria, Ottawa & Montreal, who aren't guaranteed to get a single Canada game (the latter two don't have even any friendlies lined up) will really appreciate that.

I would feel somewhat more cynical about putting the final in Toronto if I hadn't seen Kingston outdraw Edmonton in World Cup Qualifying, despite Edmonton having a more important game and a much more desirable opponent - as well as having more opposition fans, meaning that the Canadian turn out in Edmonton was actually much less than the 99% all-Canadian crowd in Kingston. There have been no Canada Cups in Canada since the last one bombed in Edmonton meaning that promoters won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. There have been more attendance disasters in Edmonton recently on the men's side than successes. All this conveniently forgotten by Terry Jones in his article, who seems to think that these disasters should be ignored because the U19 girls tourney eventually did well when Canada went on a run to the final. Well this isn't the not-very competitive women's game we're talking about here, our boys are going to up against some real competition.

If Canada can beat the tremendous odds and make the final of 2007 then we can conclude that putting the final in Toronto was likely a financial mistake. However, as optimistic as I am about our chances in the upcoming tourney, I can't blame the organizers too much for basing their plans on an un-likelihood.

With due respect, its apples to oranges when one compares a WCQ or Canada cup tourney to the Final of the U-20 WC. The better comparators are the Canada-Brazil game and the U-19 final and it isn't going to matter if Canada is in the final or not for thefirst 40-50K. The subtleties of this kind of arguement are not lost on many posters when any one tries to draw a comparision between the Lynx and MLS Toronto.

Now I don't doubt for a minute that a Toronto final will sell out, and frankly the atmosphere for the game will be far more colourful and alive, than it will be in Edmonton (unless the unlikely canadian appearance occurs). They will even have a higher per ticket average, maybe even the average of $60.00 (don't forge the FIFA comps) per ticket. But in terms of $$$, Edmonton was a better choice. No doubt in my mind about that. It is also one that will likely reinforce for many canadian observers that soccer is a niche sport for ethnic fans as that is exactly what they will see. I will predict right now that the Edmonton semi-final will be the highest revenue game of the tournament and of course the best attendended no matter the participants (although four less than possible as I will be in Toronto for the semi and final - no point flying back and forth across the country).

quote:Originally posted by jasonm

Yesterday, it was prosperity cheque green. Thank you Ralph.

[:I]

Yeah, I bet it was. Forget Ralph, thank Mother Earth.

By the by, looking beyond my rather substansive slavic snoz, is breaking up of Canada's group matchs in any way possible a good on-field idea?

Even at home the CSA is insisting that our lads have to travel. Since I'm going to assume the principle training camp will be in Edmonton so the side can familiarise itself with Commonwealth's surface are they going to jet the team (and their Group Edmonton opponent) to Toronto for a couple of days and jet them back again? I fail to see how this can improve the teams chances for success during group play. Isn't Mitchell the manager? Doesn't he have a say in all this or is he just towing the party line?

And as Group E is loosing a match for no other purpose but to showcase the new National Stadium by hosting Canada will a Group Toronto match be shifted to Edmonton in exchange? Wondering how the teams involved will feel about that?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Even at home the CSA is insisting that our lads have to travel. Since I'm going to assume the principle training camp will be in Edmonton so the side can familiarise itself with Commonwealth's surface are they going to jet the team (and their Group Edmonton opponent) to Toronto for a couple of days and jet them back again? I fail to see how this can improve the teams chances for success during group play. Isn't Mitchell the manager? Doesn't he have a say in all this or is he just towing the party line?

What I think would probably happen would be that, if there are 4 teams in a group, Canada plays one team to open the tournament and then the other two teams play in Toronto shortly thereafter (perhaps even the same day). That way, the whole group has to fly to Edmonton for their second game. If the CSA does not do it like this, then they are really putting our boys at a disadvantage.

I would also hope that they do the same for Edmonton where all teams in the other group play their first game at Commonwealth and then fly to Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Could it be possible that Ottawa will host Canada's group? That would make more sense.

It does make more sense from a purely performance point of view. If you are going to open the team in TO, there is nothing to be gain by flying them across the country.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

It does make more sense from a purely performance point of view. If you are going to open the team in TO, there is nothing to be gain by flying them across the country.

That's my point, and it would also be possible that the team stays in Toronto for the group games. I don,t think, they make switch of games between Toronto and Edmonton. I could see it between MTL, Ottawa and Toronto or Vancouver, Vicotria and Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

With due respect, its apples to oranges when one compares a WCQ or Canada cup tourney to the Final of the U-20 WC. The better comparators are the Canada-Brazil game and the U-19 final and it isn't going to matter if Canada is in the final or not for thefirst 40-50K.

Well by that token then all of the matches mentioned would be comparing apples to oranges as they are all different to what we are about to get. The U19 final might be the closest comparator in theory, except when you factor in the bit about the ticket prices in turns it into a different fruit altogether IMO.

But you could still very well be correct, that playing the final would have meant more money for the CSA even without the appearance of Canada. We won't ever likely know now. Much of the point in my mentioning the poor attendances at some previous Edmonton matches was to counter what Terry Jones is saying in his article, that Edmonton deserves the final because of all the great support they've provided to Canada's national soccer teams. There are two problems with this view, one that it hasn't always been true that they have provided great support (I find it a bit much that he rips Toronto for this after the poor showing against Honduras) and secondly it sounds incredibly hollow and meaningless if in the same article he's going to say "whoop de do" to the prospect of Edmonton getting more Canada games than anyone else. I can't see the value in proudly beating one's chest to say "We've been so good to Canada we're the most patriotic" but turn around in the same breath and say "We don't give a flying phuck about getting Canada's games, we want the final".

In the end I hope you are right and Edmonton, with the sheer size of its stadium, gets the best attendances for the tourney and I don't mind at all if the CSA look bad if Canada gets to the final & could have made more money in Edmonton (I suspect they wouldn't mind either, as in the event that happens any criticism they receive for the blunder is going to be outweighed by the praise they receive for preparing a Canadian team so well that they greatly exceed all expectations and make it to the final). Quite frankly I want the tournament to do as well as possible, get great attendeances all over the country - everyone will be a winner in that case, except for the likes of the anti-soccer whiners like Perkins & McCown who will have no ammunition to use against the sport in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

What I think would probably happen would be that, if there are 4 teams in a group, Canada plays one team to open the tournament and then the other two teams play in Toronto shortly thereafter (perhaps even the same day). That way, the whole group has to fly to Edmonton for their second game. If the CSA does not do it like this, then they are really putting our boys at a disadvantage.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Hopefully the CSA have learnt their lesson from last round of qualifying and do it this way.

Or failing that, the other two teams in the group play their first game in Edmonton, but one day after Canada plays their first game in Toronto.

the team playing against Canada will be at a disavantage too if only that game out of the group is played in Toronto.

Either they play in Toronto or Edmonton

sheild the boys from the political games so that they can perform under the best circumstances of all the teams present.

time for the CSA to give priority to the product on the field.

does anyone really think that edmonton would put even 20 000 people in the seats at 50 dollars a head for a nigeria/argentina final like it was last year?....i doubt it.

toronto's ethnic population and more reasonable stadium size make it a better location.

sometimes a 60 000 seat stadium can be a liability....i would rather see a jam packed 20 000 seat venue than a 1/3 full 60 000 seat stadium.

i also think that the CSA wants to start a tradition of toronto's new stadium being the home for international soccer in canada, as most players coming in from europe would rather stop there than continue on to edmonton all the time.

this tournament is an opportunity to start the tradition of international soccer in the new national stadium...not just for the U20, but for the senior team as well.

During the 2002 Women's U-20 the best crowd in Edmonton (except the 35 000 for the bronze medal game preceding the final) for a game not involving Canada was 10 000 for the semi-final between USA and Germany.

I would be quite surprise if more than 25K-30K would show up for a final not involving Canada.

I think it was too risky for the CSA and it was the turn for the east to receive the final of a major tournament.

Well the Edmonton media now is getting very upsett about the tournament and, the final game in particular.I truly hate this crap so much it is sickening.Writers are living of peoples sickening side of live and Jerkins and Mc crap are shining examples of how people use the seedy side of live to better themselves.

I was fully prepared to accept whatever the CSA decided but the jerks are finding ways to undermine and live of filth.I really wonder if they are real Canadians or effen imposters.

Archived