2007 WYC Final in Toronto

Elias

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T.O. lands soccer final

By PERRY LEFKO -- Toronto Sun

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2006/01/26/1412652-sun.html

The Ex will mark the spot for the final of the world under-20 soccer tournament.

The Canadian Soccer Association in conjunction with the City of Toronto is slated to announce today the new stadium scheduled to be built at Exhibition Place will play host to the final of the under-20 tournament, July 22, 2007.

The under-20 runs July 1-22 in five separate Canadian cities.

While officials connected with the CSA and City of Toronto, which has pledged $9.8 million toward building the $63 million, 20,000-seat stadium, were closely guarded about the announcement, several sources confirmed it.

Edmonton had been considered a strong candidate to host the final game because of its stadium capacity of some 60,000 combined with previous experience playing host to big soccer tournaments, but there has been a push to showcase the new Toronto soccer facility.

"It does make sense that Toronto with all its glory (in the new stadium) should host the final game and it will attract 20,000," speculated one soccer insider.

Another source said that while there was a big push by Edmonton to play host to the final game, announcing Toronto as the site could be a tactic to make the incoming federal Conservative Party live up to its pre-election remark to honour infrastructure programs that had been greenlighted by the fallen Liberal government. The Liberals had committed $27 million from the federal level, combined with $8 million from the province. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. has guaranteed $18.2 million through stadium naming rights and private funding.

The project, which begins its first major phase with the demolition of the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame sometime next month, has yet to receive approval from the federal Treasury Board. The Liberal fall will create a new turnover on the board and there is no set timetable when incoming Prime Minister Stephen Harper will announce his new cabinet.

CANADA DOWNS RUSSIA

Canada booked its ticket to the world under-20 women's soccer championship in Russia with a 2-1 win over Jamaica in the semi-final of the CONCACAF qualifying tournament in Veracruz, Mexico.

CARLING CUP FINAL IS SET

Ruud van Nistelrooy and Louis Saha scored to overcome a standout effort by goalkeeper Brad Friedel, enabling Manchester United to beat Blackburn Rovers 2-1 and reach the Carling Cup final against upstart Wigan Athletic.

United goes to the Feb. 26 final to meet a Wigan side that upset Arsenal in the other semi-final. Wigan, in its first season in the top flight of English soccer, reached its first major cup final on Tuesday, losing 2-1 at Highbury but advancing on away goals.

SPANISH MATCH ABANDONED

Valencia's Copa del Rey quarter-final match with Deportivo La Coruna was abandoned in the 45th minute after an assistant referee was struck by a coin which appeared to have been thrown from the crowd.

Referee Carlos Megia Davila ended the second-leg match with Valencia leading 1-0 at its Mestalla stadium, levelling the score 1-1 on aggregate.

If confirmed this is not a particularly surprising announcement albeit, being an Edmontonian, somewhat disappointing.

The "impression" I had from the time the tournament was announced accompanied by the push for a new "national" stadium in TO was that this was essentially a fait accompli. I know that as recently as a few weeks ago when the profits from the successful Masters' Games were announced, the local organizers [i.e. here in Edmonton] hoped otherwise.

At the risk of this sounding like "sour grapes" I suspect that the CSA may encounter some difficulty in "selling this" to local organizers and more importantly the ticket buying public. I hope there will not be an adverse reaction resulting in a lack of interest from the local fans.

Expect there will be a semi-final at Commonwealth and we'll have to see what group or groups plays their matches out here.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing some terrific soccer.

Of course the funding still has to be confirmed and TO needs to get the stadium built.

thats what you get from the CSA for supporting soccer in Canada

the CSA is doing to Edmonton exactly what they did to the whitecaps and Impact and the lynx

organisation that has supported soccer for over a decades being forced to play second fiddle.

most likely the turnouts is Edmonton for soccer in the last ten yrs or so had been heavily used by the CSA to get the u-20 world cup and most likely will be used in the future to get other significant soccer tournaments and who get the rewards?

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Ya those WCQ's were sell outs eh, WOOO WEEE

I think that it is the logical choice given that there are how many millions people within the commuting area and there is a good chance that there will be a sizable ex-pat community of whatever countries are that will be playing in the final. Within a five hour commuting distance of the GTA, you have densely populated areas of southern Ontario, Western New York, Western Pensylvania and Detroit. Therefore anyone who is unbiased would Choose Toronto. I think that this would plaese FIFA as well who would certainly rather see the final played in a country's largest city.

But I fear that there may be a lining of lead in all this. with TO getting the final, it may mean that the group matches involving canada will be played elsewhere. I don't know about you, but given a choice, I would take the Canada games over hosting the final.

The Aviators did well too:D...

I new the game was going to be in Toronto. When you just get a brand new 70 million dollar stadium, where did you think it was going to be?

Edmonton will do a great jobs with the semis, and I no they would have pack the place for the championship. But it time for Toronto to show off a bit.

Do you think they will be bring in extra seats for this match? 20 000 is not that big for this type of game. Tickets might just be top dollar then.

quote:Originally posted by sj

thats what you get from the CSA for supporting soccer in Canada

the CSA is doing to Edmonton exactly what they did to the whitecaps and Impact and the lynx

organisation that has supported soccer for over a decades being forced to play second fiddle.

most likely the turnouts is Edmonton for soccer in the last ten yrs or so had been heavily used by the CSA to get the u-20 world cup and most likely will be used in the future to get other significant soccer tournaments and who get the rewards?

Yeah I am sure that soccer fans like you ( if you are a soccer fan) who live in Ottawa, would unanimously prefer Edmonton. Since it is much closer for you to go and see the game isn't it?

Aside from providing another excuse to complain, lets then put you in charge of the CSA and with the responsiblity to ensure that get maximum bang for your buck, a good turn out and that the tourny is a success off the field. Why don't explain to us why you would not opt for Toronto.

Johnnie Monster and Krammerhead didn't believe me when I suggested that the CSA were holding off on the decision on where to put the finals because they really wanted the finals in Toronto. They had to wait until the stadium was issue was settled. Otherwise you'd think they would have announced Edmonton as Final host last August. In hindsight, you can see why the CSA spent so much energy over the Toronto stadium, the unspoken conclusion is that FIFA wanted the final here, for reasons already explained by others above.

I have to say it is my opinion that this is a blunder by the CSA, strictly because Edmonton will draw 40,000+ no matter who is in the final. I don't doubt Toronto could too, maybe even many more, but not in a 2x,000 seat stadium. For an organization that pleades poverty, that claims they can not do anything about setting aside a section for visiting fans - or limiting ticket sales to travelling fans - because they "need the revenue" to choose a venue that effectively reduces their overall revenue. Better to hold two semi-finals in TO and the final in Edmonton, travel be damned, and make some money out of the tournament. And I don't think that any community in Canada would need specific immigrant communities to sell tickets to the final. Yes, colour at the stadium is best served if there is a large immigrant community, but it won't have any effect on ticket sales.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I have to say it is my opinion that this is a blunder by the CSA, strictly because Edmonton will draw 40,000+ no matter who is in the final. I don't doubt Toronto could too, maybe even many more, but not in a 2x,000 seat stadium. For an organization that pleades poverty, that claims they can not do anything about setting aside a section for visiting fans - or limiting ticket sales to travelling fans - because they "need the revenue" to choose a venue that effectively reduces their overall revenue. Better to hold two semi-finals in TO and the final in Edmonton, travel be damned, and make some money out of the tournament. And I don't think that any community in Canada would need specific immigrant communities to sell tickets to the final. Yes, colour at the stadium is best served if there is a large immigrant community, but it won't have any effect on ticket sales.

All good points Gordon, but the CSA's near desperation to get the Toronto stadium deal done leads me to think that pressure from FIFA to hold the final in Toronto was the overriding concern.

Bla bla bla.

The final was a liability in Edmonton. It isn't in Toronto. I'd hope Edmonton still get the Canada group and WILL get a semi, it has been announced. The other quarters hosts are Montreal and Vancouver.

50k in Edmonton is still 10k empty seats and the CSA probably figured they wanted a full house, which'll look great. Edmonton has a history of good crowds based on marquee games (Canada-Brasil, the U19 Canada games involving a good Canada) but hasn't done so well with the rest (Aviators, WCQ, etc.).

quote:Originally posted by bmac

At the risk of this sounding like "sour grapes" I suspect that the CSA may encounter some difficulty in "selling this" to local organizers and more importantly the ticket buying public. I hope there will not be an adverse reaction resulting in a lack of interest from the local fans.....

Personally I am looking forward to seeing some terrific soccer.

I would think that based on past performance Edmonton will be given Canada's group to make up for not-holding the final. One would hope that that will bring the crowds out.

It's not that simple. It's like the Vanier Cup, I'm sure it will be a huge success out west. Problem is, all the sponsors and the so called "national" media are in Toronto. Plus this little new stadium thingy, it has been sold locally that we need it for the WYC. It would seem silly to build this stadium, supposedly for this tournament, and then not have the final there.

And be honest, the 2005 final was between Argenting and Nigeria, do you really think 50 000+ will show up in Edmonton if it was those two in the final?

This CP article suggests the CSA believes it can make more money with the final in Toronto:

TORONTO (CP) - Toronto has beaten out Edmonton as host of the championship game of the 2007 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

That means the game will be held in Toronto's planned National Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place. Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is three times the size of the 20,000-seat Toronto venue, but the Canadian Soccer Association says its figures showed the Toronto final would be more profitable.

That's because it believes it can charge more in Toronto.

Toronto will also host the opening game of the 24-team men's under-20 tournament.

Other host cities are Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and Victoria

That's because it believes it can charge more in Toronto.

Toronto will also host the opening game of the 24-team men's under-20 tournament.

Other host cities are Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and Victoria

quote:Originally posted by Elias

It's not that simple. It's like the Vanier Cup, I'm sure it will be a huge success out west. Problem is, all the sponsors and the so called "national" media are in Toronto. Plus this little new stadium thingy, it has been sold locally that we need it for the WYC. It would seem silly to build this stadium, supposedly for this tournament, and then not have the final there.

And be honest, the 2005 final was between Argenting and Nigeria, do you really think 50 000+ will show up in Edmonton if it was those two in the final?

Yes. I do think that the they will turn out in Edmonton for any two teams in the final. Group stages, not so sure. But out west we have this little thing about community and events. Trust me, Edmonton isn't a track and field town, but the World Track and Field did much better than expected when held their. It is a far different dynamic at play here than the pompus attitudes that many report about the Toronto area. Ok, fair enough. Just don't bother applying those standards to any centre west of Toronto because they simply don't apply. It will not be about the teams, it will be about the event in any Prairie City. Trust me, whatever the final might be in Toronto, the attendance will not be any higher than what would occur if the same final were held in Saskatoon. That is a slap at the limitations of the Toronto Stadium, which is far below the potential of this final in pretty much any major city in canada assuming the facility existed, and not a slap at toronto, which I believe would sell far more than 2x,000 tickets if the facility held that many. But even Saskatoon would sell 2x,000 tickets for the final of the U-20 MWC. So what will seem silly is if a Brazil - Holland semi-final in Edmonton sells 35,000 tickets and the final is in Toronto drawing 23 K (or whatever a sell out comes in at).

I think the national media and sponsor thing is a red herring frankly. The tournament is being held across Canada and will be televised into many parts of the world. Whether or not the final is held in Toronto is inconsequential to either of those issues given that the Toronto market would still be playing a large role in the tourney. Yes, though, I do believe that the CSA has put all their eggs in the Toronto market and that the stadium was a part of the ultimate decision to hold the final in Toronto. It is part of the same general tunnel vision that has plagued the CSA for decades, IMO. They are selling short every market outside of Toronto and they are in fact selling short the Toronto Market too because I think this final in TO is really about trying to support MLS. It will be interesting to see if MLS Toronto franchise is able to offer U-20 ticket packages to their ticket holders. I don't think the event in Toronto needs the MLS angle, but I think the CSA mistakenly thinks that MLS TO needs the U-20 angle. I think they are wrong about that, But I've learned it is impossible to underestimate their capacity to blunder. Maybe the CSA has lost its will to lead becasue it has been slapped down too many times. Its why I have come to agree with Robert that a change is needed at the top - not for the reasons that Robert cites, but because the organization seems, Old, tired and without any vision.

I don't beleive that FIFA put any pressure on the CSA to hold the Stadium in Toronto as is being suggested because I think the CSA is too arrogant to try to obscure that pressure with a bogus "bid" process. That would give them exactly the out they needed to put the thing in Toronto. I think they needed a bogus "bid" process to justify a decision to hold it in Toronto.

Guest Domi Rulezz

It is a far different dynamic at play here than the pompus attitudes that many report about the Toronto area.

That's funny, the only pompous attitudes I see here on these boards are originating from the rest of Canada towards Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The final was a liability in Edmonton. It isn't in Toronto.

Amazing that the Montrealer in Paris gets it yet most others don't.

Archived