2007 WYC Final in Toronto

Elias

I was all ready to accept the final in Edmonton as was discussed before on this board.

Let us all just rejoice and continue to thank our brothers and sisters in Edmonton in particular for really for being responsible for this tournament to be held in Canada.

It does make sense to have it in Toronto afterall,primarely because of the seize of the ethnic population for starters.

Hey we are all Canadians eh

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Rule number 1 of forum posting.

You're a newbie, you don't rock the boat.

If by 'rock the boat' you mean 'pointing out the obvious', then I'm not so sure I can abide by that rule.

quote:Originally posted by Domi Rulezz

That's funny, the only pompous attitudes I see here on these boards are originating from the rest of Canada towards Toronto.

Well, before this turns into some sort everybody hates us nonsense, let me clarify that the attitude "I won't support anything that is not major league" which is attributed to Toronto in general by the many excellent Torontonians who show up to support the Lynx despite the mickey mouse operation of a minor league team is the attitude I describe as pompus. There are admittedly a few unabashed Toronto haterz who post here, just as there are a few Ontarioians who take refuge under the everybody hates us umbrella.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that Toronto gets both the opening AND closing games of the tournament. Although I can see the need for the CSA to 'justify' their efforts into getting a national quality stadium built in Toronto, it is a bit of a slap in the face to the people of Edmonton and surrounding areas not to give us ONE of the profile matches. Seems like the CSA is convientiently forgetting that it was classy support of the U-19 Women's Championship that landed us the 2007 gig in the first place.

Of course, it's no big surprise.. since day one people having been citing the need to build a "National Stadium" for Canada - forgetting that we have one.. in Edmonton. The fact that the stadium isn't in Toronto does not lessen the fact that it IS the national stadium. That's in no way stating that I think Toronto shouldn't get a GREAT SSS, but it's things like these that give people the impression that Toronot couldn't care less about the rest of Canada.

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

That's in no way stating that I think Toronto shouldn't get a GREAT SSS, but it's things like these that give people the impression that Toronot couldn't care less about the rest of Canada.

So perhaps Toronto should turn down the chance to host a world-class event, simply because some people are under the 'impression' that it couldn't care less about the rest of Canada.

People are already forgetting that it was the CSA - with its headquarters in Ottawa and national teams based out of Vancouver - that awarded this match to Toronto. Of course, if it were to be held anywhere else, I highly doubt that so many people would be up in arms.

Here's a CP article with more in the way of comments suggesting they made the decision in part because they feel they can make more cash in Toronto, in spite of the smaller capacity:

Toronto to host FIFA U20 final in 2007

Canadian Press

1/26/2006 11:25:19 AM

TORONTO (CP) - Citing the prospect for more profit, the Canadian Soccer Association has awarded the showcase final of the 2007 men's FIFA Under-20 World Cup to Toronto over Edmonton.

Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is three times the size of the 20,000-seat Toronto venue planned for Exhibition Place near Lake Ontario, but the CSA says its figures showed a Toronto final on July 22, 2007, would be more profitable.

''We believe the yield to the association for the final will be in excess of $1 million,'' association COO Kevan Pipe said after a news conference Thursday. ''We don't know if the same analysis could have held at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. We haven't had a history of being able to achieve that ever in the city with so many tickets in a smaller population region.

''And certainly in Toronto there's been multiple, multiple events in the last year and a half, two years, that have had multimillion gates.''

Edmonton drew more than 47,000 to watch Canada take on the U.S. in the final of the inaugural women's world under-19 championship in 2002. But Pipe noted that those tickets were discounted, with a tournament pass costing just $5.

''It was a very inexpensive ticket, but the focus in fact for that event was to put bottoms in seats as opposed to the financial return.''

To meet the $1-million gate projection, the average ticket for the Toronto final would have to cost $50.

There is more of a focus on the bottom line for the 2007 men's under-20 tournament, second only to the World Cup in terms of size among FIFA competitions. The 24-country event has a budget in excess of $30 million with more than 500,000 spectators expected.

''We have to take a much more financial approach to this decision,'' Pipe said.

Toronto will also host the opening game of the tournament.

Other host cities are Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and Victoria.

The tournament will kick off July 1, 2007, with Canada playing in Toronto, which will host 13 matches in all. The Canadian team will then fly to Edmonton to play its two remaining first-round games.

Edmonton will host five opening-round matches, plus two round-of-16 games, a quarter-final game and a semifinal game.

And, perhaps in an attempt to take the sting of losing the final to Toronto, Edmonton could be home to the Canadian team deep into the tournament if it keeps winning.

Toronto will also host quarter-final and semifinal games with the other quarter-finals in Montreal and Vancouver.

Ticket prices for the tournament will be released by June 1, after approval from FIFA. The CSA wants to take advantage of the World Cup in Germany this summer to spur sales.

Pipe said there was nothing political about the choice of Toronto, saying the new Tory federal government has already said it will honour prior commitments. The previous Liberal government had committed $27 million to the $62-million Toronto stadium.

''We have no reason to believe that there's any hiccups at all,'' Pipe said.

The stadium site is being prepared for construction, he added.

Pipe also said Montreal and Vancouver are both solidly behind the event, now that the CSA has agreed to take over responsibility for any financial risk for the tournament, rather than leave it to the regional hosts.

''The financial projections for this tournament right now are quite positive, so we believe the risks involved are fairly minimal,'' Pipe said.

A FIFA inspection team will visit all six host cities in early April.

All 52 matches of the tournament will be broadcast, with 180 countries expected to show some of the event. Pipe said organizers hope to have every game available on Canadian TV.

Edmonton will get first crack at seeing the Brazilian under-20 team, which has agreed to play three games against its Canadian counterpart in May. The teams will meet May 19 in Edmonton and May 22 in Victoria with a third game set for Vancouver although no date has been set yet.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

All good points Gordon, but the CSA's near desperation to get the Toronto stadium deal done leads me to think that pressure from FIFA to hold the final in Toronto was the overriding concern.

It is surprising how patient and silent FIFA has been thus far regarding the 2007 championship. That can't last much longer.

My guess is that the price for a ticket to the final in Toronto will be at least double to what a ticket for that match would have cost if it were staged in Edmonton. Be prepared to spend $200 to see a WYC final that could feature the likes of a nation such as Nigeria. Not slagging the Nigerians. I'd love to see them or any other nation that makes the final, but not at $200 a ticket. Do not expect to see the prices the CSA charged to see Belize two years ago. These will be higher prices than the affluent Vancouver supporters pay to see the MNT at Swangard. If the game were in Edmonton, I'd fly out to see it. However, the CSA's latest tactic to rush the Tory government, indicates the game will be in Toronto, which means the only way I'd go see the final is if Canada were in it. Chances are, I'll be watching the game for free in the comfort of my own living room.

The problem with in Canada is every time a decision is made to award something to a certain city a bunch of me first regionalists will start complaining that they were not chosen. If Toronto happens to be chosen for anything this reaction is twice as strong. When is the last time Toronto hosted a Canadian National Team event? Edmonton has sure had its fair share and has at times been successful and at times unsuccessful. Sure there was a good turnout for the girl's tournament but the tickets were almost free. Don't forget that Edmonton's last event was the World Cup Qualification game against a fairly attractive opponent in Honduras and Edmonton barely outdrew the crowd that little Kingston drew for a match against Belize, a country I am sure many in attendance had not even heard of before. I also think FIFA strongly preferred Toronto because it is more prestigious to have the tournament in a large international city and I am sorry to disappoint you Edmontonians but very few people in the world are familiar with Edmonton yet everyone knows Toronto. I could also bitch about Ottawa not being chosen as Landsdowne can be expanded to 50 000 like it was for the Grey Cup. Instead I am happy for Toronto and happy that Ottawa and Montreal are getting some games and that we have something to look forward to as Canadian soccer fans for once.

Here is the CSA article:

FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007

Thursday, January 26, 2006

It’s Final – Toronto to Host FIFA U-20 World Cup Championship Game

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association and the City of Toronto announced today at a joint media conference at Toronto’s City Hall that the City of Toronto has been selected as the host for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Final.

Toronto will also host the tournament opener and the 3rd Place match. Both the opening day and final day will be played as double-headers.

The final has been scheduled for July 22, 2007. Dates and times for the other matches will be finalised by FIFA at a later date.

“On behalf of the National Organizing Committee for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007, I am pleased to confirm that the new National Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place in Toronto will be the host site for the Championship final of this, the second largest FIFA Championship on Sunday July 22, 2007,” said Canadian Soccer Association President Andy Sharpe.

“We were fortunate to have two wonderful presentations from both Toronto and from Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium and it proved to be a case of choosing what we felt was the better of two great options. We look forward to a sold out stadium on July 22 next year and throughout the event.”

And when you look at the details surrounding the City of Toronto, it seems like the logical choice for hosting ‘The World’s Game’.

The City of Toronto is the largest city in Canada, the Capital of the Province of Ontario and the 5th largest in North America with a population of 2.5 million. Over ¼ of Canada’s population lives within a 100-mile radius of Toronto.

“I am really proud,” said Toronto’s Mayor, David Miller.

“Toronto is a tremendous soccer city with 250,000 registered players in the region, including my children. This is a fantastic opportunity to showcase our incredible city, to the world.”

The city is a unique cultural mosaic with over 100 languages spoken and has a population represented by over 170 countries of origin, making it an ideal host for FIFA’s second largest event.

The top twenty language spoken in Toronto are: English, French, Italian, Chinese, Cantonese, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog (Pilipino), Tamil, Mandarin, Hindi, German, Greek, Urdu, Russian, Polish, Punjabi, Arabic, Persian (Farsi), and Vietnamese.

In addition to its renowned multicultural appeal, Toronto is the media and corporate capital of Canada with over 200 radio, television, newspaper and publishing companies and over 300 ethnic publications, including 5 non-English daily newspapers. Toronto is also the fourth largest media and corporate cluster in North America.

The FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 will take place in Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, Victoria, and Toronto with the tournament opener set for July 1, 2007.

In addition to the three match days, each venue will host Round of 16 matches.

Montreal and Vancouver will join Edmonton and Toronto as hosts of quarter final matches with Edmonton and Toronto also hosting the two semi finals.

Here's an article from the Toronto Star (not written by Dave Perkins, naturally). After the opening game it appears Canada moves on to play Edmonton. I hope they have enough time in between games to off-set any potential jet-lag issues.

CNE stadium to host first, last under-20 soccer games

Jan. 26, 2006. 03:49 PM

ALLAN RYAN

SPORTS REPORTER

Toronto’s new National Soccer Stadium at the Canadian National Exhibition will stage both the opener of next summer’s FIFA under-20 World Cup as well as the championship final three weeks later.

Hopes are that they’ll get the hole in the ground started next week.

As for the $27 million that the federal Liberals promised to the $62.8 million project, that still awaits a final stamp of approval from the incoming Conservatives, who are fully expected to honour all federal infrastructure commitments.

“We have no reason to believe there’ll be any hiccups,” Canadian Soccer Association COO Kevan Pipe said today at a press conference in Mayor David Miller’s office that provided preliminary details on the 24-nation tournament.

Second only to FIFA’s men’s World Cup in scope, the under-20 event will be staged in six Canadian cities (Edmonton, Victoria, Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal) with Toronto the headquarter site.

Despite Commonwealth Stadium capable of holding three times Toronto’s scheduled 20,000 capacity, the latter nosed out an Edmonton presentation for the right to stage the final.

Toronto will get 13 of the tournament’s 52 matches, including the Canada Day opener, a quarterfinal, a semifinal, the game for third-place and the July 22 championship final.

Edmonton will host Canada’s two other preliminary-round games.

In order to capitalize on the excitement no doubt generated by this summer’s World Cup in Germany, Pipe said he expected tickets to go on sale by early June.

He added that he expected pricing to be “very affordable ... more along the lines of a CFL ticket” and suggested a top price of perhaps $50.

“Toronto’s a soccer city,” said Mayor Miller. “Our diverse city celebrates soccer. This will showcase what we are today.

"People come to Toronto with their own traditions and part of those traditions is soccer.”

It was also confirmed yesterday that, as a lead-up to the tournament, Brazil’s under-20 team has agreed to a series of three games against Canada this May in Edmonton, Victoria and Vancouver.

Canadian under-20 coach Dale Mitchell said it would “give our boys a taste of what the summer of 2007 will be like. It’ll be a big challenge but one that I’m sure will help us down the road.”

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

CSA keeps shooting itself in the foot. Wonder if they have any toes left.

Imagine the CSA wanting to put a soccer tournament in a city that has a considerably larger immigrant population than the rest of Canada, in a brand new stadium that is being built specifically for soccer. And in a city that has already proven to embrace youth championships (1987). What a bunch of morons.

Quick question: Are all of your posts so full of insight?

So perhaps Toronto should turn down the chance to host a world-class event, simply because some people are under the 'impression' that it couldn't care less about the rest of Canada.

People are already forgetting that it was the CSA - with its headquarters in Ottawa and national teams based out of Vancouver - that awarded this match to Toronto. Of course, if it were to be held anywhere else, I highly doubt that so many people would be up in arms.

..and I thought Daniel was being a tad harsh with you about being a newbie.

I wasn't suggesting that Toronto turn down the opportunity. I'm sayin' they shouldn't have been offered it in the first place. Everyone knew Toronto would get the opener or the final... but to give Toronto both of them DOES leave the impression that the rest of Canadian cities don't matter. I'd be just as happy if the final was in Montreal or Vancouver if their stadiums are up and running in time, but ditching Edmonton (which HAS a stadium up and running AND a proven track record) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Guest Domi Rulezz

..and I thought Daniel was being a tad harsh with you about being a newbie.

I wasn't suggesting that Toronto turn down the opportunity. I'm sayin' they shouldn't have been offered it in the first place. Everyone knew Toronto would get the opener or the final... but to give Toronto both of them DOES leave the impression that the rest of Canadian cities don't matter. I'd be just as happy if the final was in Montreal or Vancouver if their stadiums are up and running in time, but ditching Edmonton (which HAS a stadium up and running AND a proven track record) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As I pointed out to DoyleG in my post above, Toronto also has a proven track record when it comes to hosting FIFA youth events as well.

Let's say the final was between Croatia and Jamaica. Which city has a better chance of supporting the match? Toronto or Edmonton?

Imagine the CSA wanting to put a soccer tournament in a city that has a considerably larger immigrant population than the rest of Canada, in a brand new stadium that is being built specifically for soccer. And in a city that has already proven to embrace youth championships (1987). What a bunch of morons.

Quick question: Are all of your posts so full of insight?

Nice to see you back Beat. As clueless as ever.

Apparently you're just not getting the point...

Based on your logic, why bother with any other cities? Just hold the whole damn thing in Toronto.

After reading some of the articles that state Toronto was chosen purely for financial reasons I have to say that a)The INAUGURAL Women's U-19 Championships and the well-established Men's U-20 Championships are two different things (no disrespect to the ladies...). b)with the lack of prepareadness and advertising the CSA did for that event, they're LUCKY they held it in Edmonton.

I'm not overly choked, because I think it's a great event for all of Canada. Edmonton does seem to be getting the 'consolation prize' of having the Canadian team's group matches - so I've got no complaints. I'm just saying that having BOTH prestige games in Toronto is a bit selfish on the CSA's part (as well as lazy).

Guest Domi Rulezz

Based on your logic, why bother with any other cities? Just hold the whole damn thing in Toronto.

Nowhere did I say that they should hold the 'whole damn thing' in Toronto, just that it makes much better sense (financially and otherwise) to hold the final here.

What an embarrassment it would be to have 15,000 people show up for Iran vs. Portugal in the final in Edmonton (a game that would surely sell out here).

Plus, the lower capacity, and 'newness' of the stadium are create an almost guaranteed sell out. Can any of the other cities really make that kind of promise? (Without giving way a majority of the tickets?)

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Nice to see you back Beat.

Not sure who this 'Beat' is (or is that what you do to keep warm of those lonely Friday nights?).

quote:As clueless as ever.

Another classic retort.

No doubt you'll be quoted in law school textbooks for years to come with that sort of ascerbic wit.

Well, let´s see if it actually gets built.

If it does, even as an Edmotonchuckian, I think it makes sense to have both the opening and the final in Toronto, for many of the reasons stated by posters above. Edmonton has and will continue to get its share of the soccer limelight.

Archived