June 12 WYC - Canada v Syria - POST-match [R]

DJT

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I thought the three players from Alberta more than held their own. But the one Mitchell kept on the bench would have made all the difference. Call me a homer. Edgar looks good as does Johnson. I still am unimpressed by the hype over Peters. His goal was needed but all this talk of him going to be a superstar is wearing me down. A superstar should dominate (and go 90 minutes) against Syria.

If you're speaking of Bergovic, I don't see why he should of start, but maybe he wouldn't have made that mistake but I know a lot of keepers who wouldn't too, so that's not the point.

If you're speaking of Kassaye, you're a homer. It's not like Kassaye is playing at Man U., the guy has no club and it's already good for him that he's on that squad. Maybe he would've made a difference but saying that he " would have made all the difference " is a homer comment.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Timotas

1-WAGENAAR Josh (gk) - 4/10 - Josh wasn't at his best today, as most of you stated above. His miskick may be because of nerves which is common for young players (all the U20 players at this tournament) who are being watched closely by the world, scouts, coaches, etc. Also the save he made in the first half where he didn't hold the ball really showed his game wasn't all there. I do believe Josh does deserve another chance to prove himself in the next game. Playing with both Josh and Rob (back up who plays for Glasgow Rangers)... I do believe Josh is the much better keeper. Asmir (the other backup) may be a little young to start a game... but I may be wrong. At this moment in time, if Josh has a stinker on Wednesday, then I don't know if Mitchell should be starting Rob or Asmir for the Italy game, for the fact that it'll ruin all the team chemistry for the most important game and bringing in a cold keeper for a crucial game is just stupid. So its either Josh misses next game or he should play the rest of the tournament.

I have hard time getting a read on him. I'm yet ( in three games I've seen) to see him have to make a difficult stop. Have to credit the central D. Compared to others we have seen in the past, at this level, Hainault looks really impressive and making Josh's job really easy. Aside from those occasional lapses late in the game against Mex and Hon, the entire backline has been rock solid.

PS.: That Syrian keeper was a real gem though. How bout that save in the first half diving right to push the ball over the bar with his left hand. Stopped one on the line in the second half off of a header. Could easily have been 3-1 Canada. Hopping that he keeps it up against Italy and Colombia

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I thought the three players from Alberta more than held their own. But the one Mitchell kept on the bench would have made all the difference. Call me a homer. Edgar looks good as does Johnson. I still am unimpressed by the hype over Peters. His goal was needed but all this talk of him going to be a superstar is wearing me down. A superstar should dominate (and go 90 minutes) against Syria.

I find myself of two minds when it comes to rating Peters. I watch that buzzsaw quickness and his willingness to take players on and create "something out of nothing" and I see a talent the likes of which we generally don't produce. All the hype and trials with big clubs makes sense.

Then I think of what the kid has actually created the times of seen him play and it's generally not that much. I see him as the kind of kid that needs to play at the highest possible level as he's something different, for sure. Unless he was injured or out of gas, I'm surprised he was removed from a 1-1 match.

I'm somewhat blown away by the kind of player Gyaki has developed into. A few years ago he was a very, very good player in his age group here in Calgary. Now he's a truly international class player who's as well developed as they come. All over the pitch, tough, a threat in front of goal (notwithstanding that right footed shank). You can tell the kid just NEEDS to be a pro. Love the way he bantered with ref. He seems to just love playing at this level.

Anyway, the good news is that we play pretty good soccer at this level. The bad news from a results perspective is that we didn't get what we should have. Then again, we seem to usually get better as this tournament progresses so I'm hoping that will be the case.

I thought Edgar played very well in midfield. He was on top of everything in the middle of the park and distributed the ball very well. Peetoom was the weak link at the back though. Thus, as much as I liked Edgar in midfield, I'd feel a lot safer with him at the back along with Hainault. The question is whether anybody can step up and replace Edgar in the middle.

Nick Ledgerwood is the one guy on this team who I think can immediately step up into the full national team. Not Peters (not yet anyway). Peters still makes too many bad decisions to be anything more than an a late sub for the big club. Ledgerwood blew me away. Yes, the defensive side of his game could perhaps use a bit of work, but the kid exudes pure class.

I'm not dissing Peters though. His runs drew the Syrian defenders to him like moths to a flame. That created lots of space for Gyaki and Rosenlund. The only possible excuse for Mitchell is that his stamina isn't up to scratch yet. But if that's the case, Ipswich should fire their physical trainers because there's no excuse for that.

I second the positive comments by others about Gyaki and Johnson and I agree that Rosenlund was a cut above the other NCAA players.

well, it wouldnt be a canadian national team without some horrific, split second, mental collapse that costs them the game....i thought onstad was too old for this tournament.

first half they looked really good...great ball control...gyaki and johnson were really good...great runs by johnson...like the seniors though...no finish on the play....ever.

the second half looked like a high school game...at one point 4 throw-ins in a row landed on the right boot of the opposite team.

anyone notice that craig forrest has lost that goofy hybrid canadian-british accent that he had when he first started with sportsnet. he's become a decent colur guy....

i cant wait to watch a canadian soccer game during the daylight hours for once...i dont love their chances after that showing....i am so tired of saying, they played well and deserved to win....canada needs to learn to win at all levels....it is some kind of national character trait to play well and fall short....once again they are essentially out of the tournament in the first game...seems to happen all the time....lets hope for a miracle, i guess.

the best we can hope for is a good coin toss....we seem to be good at those.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

well, it wouldnt be a canadian national team without some horrific, split second, mental collapse that costs them the game....i thought onstad was too old for this tournament.

And there's always a V to point it out. Glad it wasn't me this time ;).

Man, it'll be sweet when we win something (again)...

Guest Jeffery S.

Just patiently waiting for one of you soccer geniuses to show a minimum of consistency and ask why Wagenaar is pre-selected for the Gold Cup while we are ignoring a keeper playing in a top flight European league.

There is a whole long thread on the GC with debates about potential call-ups, and noone has even hinted at this inconsistency.

I hate having to insist on these things, but since the Canadian soccer fan's main virtue is to invent new reasons to fail with dignity, then complain about his or her own inventions, sometimes it is worth a minor attempt to cut through the bs that impregnates this board.

Not having the benefit of watching the game (but at least I will watch the next two live), its good to hear that we are still playing football as we did in qualifying. I thought that the qualifying in the U-20s was the first time at this level (including the last U-20 side) that we really started to play football. Last time, we played like a rock defensively especially with Hutchinson at the back and relied on Hume to poach a goal for us on the counter.

One of the things I fine the most encouraging about the reviews of this match is that 3 of our better players on the pitch (Peters, Edgar, and Johnson) are all available for the next U-20s and with Lombardo coming on at the end, we had 4 under aged players get some experience. Add Begovic and Bourgault(sp?) and the next side looks quite good. I could name a few more but this kind of experience for these core players will help us tremendously in 2 years time.

As for those doubters on Peters, from my viewing of the Mexico match in qualifying...he was a cut above everyone on the field. He had poise and speed to beat his man on the wing but also the football sense to look up at speed and cut the ball back into the middle of the box for Gyaki to score an easy one. He also once put the ball right on the head of De Jong that went just wide. In two years time with some experience at Ipswich, he should be awesome espeically with Johnson and Lombardo being on the end of those crosses. The future is bright.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fifa match report

(See website for different shots of the game)

Honours even as Syria and Canada draw (1:1) Canadian joy as diminutive Jaime Peters celebrates his far post header.

Lee Mills

ACTION IMAGES

(FIFA.com) 12 Jun 2005

Canada hit back after a shocking start against Syria in Group E to claim a point at the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 in Tilburg.

Two headers of contrasting styles proved to be the only goals at the Willem II Stadium, though perhaps Canada may ultimately feel they had the better chances to claim victory.

Canada coach Dale Mitchell admitted: "There is a hint of disappointment that we didn't get all of the three points there because there were some really good opportunities for us to win it. Unfortunately you need all 11 players to be on top of their game to get victories at this level and we had some nerves out there."

That twitchiness was apparent from the kick-off as Syria had a dream start - and gave the Canadians a nightmare - with Majed al Haj's pace causing an immediate threat. Canada goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar saw al Haj bearing down on him when he was delivered a relatively routine back-pass, but he spooned his attempted clearance straight up in the air and al Haj rose highest to head it past him and into the net (1-0, 2').

Meaataz Kailouni threatened to make it two soon afterwards, but a crafty, curling shot with the outside of his right foot was a fraction off target for Syria.

By now, the vocal and strong Syrian contingent in the crowd sensed they were possibly witnessing one of their nation's finest hours in football, but it proved to be a false dawn as they lost their grip on the proceedings.

Unlucky Edgar lifts Canadians

Stung into action, Canada rallied and gradually saw more of the ball and they managed to hold sway in midfield, where Newcastle United's David Edgar turned in a powerful performance. Syrian goalkeeper Adnan al Hafez did well to turn away two meaty strikes by Edgar, the second seemingly goalbound until al Hafez made a desperate lunge to tip it away.

Syrian Abdul Khalaf and Canada's Marcel de Jong battle for the ball during their 1-1 draw.

(ACTION IMAGES)

Lee Mills

Canada's hero from the FIFA World Youth Championship qualifiers was four-goal star Ryan Gyaki and he should have hit the target again after dancing and weaving his way through the Syrian defence, but with the hard work done, he missed the chance to equalise by pulling wide.

The leveller eventually came just after the half hour mark. Canada's Dutch-based find Marcel de Jong floated in a looped, outswinging free-kick from the left hand corner of the pitch and Jaime Peters leapt impressively to nod the ball home (1-1, 31').

The second period was an altogether more scrappy affair, with neither side able to impose themselves and possession changing hands quickly thanks to some slack ball control.

With 20 minutes to go, Syrian defender Abd Dakka showed everyone the way forward by thumping goalwards from fully 30 yards and Wagenaar was mightily relieved to see the ball fly over..

Inspired, Syrian ventured forward once more and when the talented al Haj broke clear from his markers and found himself eight yards out, he was distraught to see his clipped, angled attempt hit the crossbar.

At the other end, Edgar brought another smart save out of al Hafez with a header and Gyaki released substitute Riley O'Neill in space, but heroic tackling by Abdul Khalaf snuffed out the threat. Gyaki went close himself soon after with a header of his own, as did O'Neill, but despite finishing stronger, Canada could not find that elusive winner.

Syria coach Milosav Radenovic said: "That was Syria's first game after 10 years in a FIFA championship, so we have to be pleased to have come away with a draw and our first point. We started as outsiders, but having seen all of the teams now, I think we have a good chance to go through from this group."

Here's some press on the game. The Toronto Star actually has someone covering the event for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada faces uphill task after tying Syrians

Peters to the rescue after early setback

Next opponent: sizzling Colombians

JOHN MATHEWS

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

050613_canada_syria_250.jpg

JOHN MATHEWS

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

TILBURG, NETHERLANDS—Canada might have got its first point on the board at the under-20 World Youth Championship, but the opening 1-1 tie against Syria was a game that could and should have been won — particularly with an altogether more illustrious opponent just around the corner.

Red-hot Colombia is coming up next on Wednesday and Canada knows it will have to move up a gear or three if it is to upset the South Americans and help safeguard progress to the knockout phase next week.

Proof of that came in Group E's other clash as Colombia made Italy look flat-footed and out of its depth at this level in a 2-0 victory that not only served as a colourful curtain-raiser for the Canada-Syria match, it also acted as a stark warning of what the Canucks are up against here.

It could have been a whole lot worse for Canada last night though as they battled back against Syria after suffering just about the worst possible start.

Two minutes into the tournament and Canadian goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar had one of those moments that could haunt an aspiring young goalkeeper for the rest of his career. A harmless back-pass that looked odds-on to be safely cleared was ballooned up in the air by Wagenaar and Syria's star player Majed al Haj was only too grateful to compound his error by heading it into the net.

After the game, Canada's coach Dale Mitchell refused to be too hard on Wagenaar.

"I'm proud of my team that we had such a positive reaction to the early goal, which was obviously a mistake. That can sometimes happen to young players in a big tournament.

"Nerves will always be a factor,'' he said.

"We are happy to have our first point, but we also have a hint of disappointment that we didn't get all three points because maybe the opportunities were there for us to win it."

That was certainly the case, although there are some plus points for Canada, chief among them being the performance of Newcastle United's David Edgar, who was solid in the middle and was unlucky not to score at least once.

In the end it was left to the diminutive 18-year-old Jaime Peters to spare Canadian blushes by standing tall to head in the equalizer. But the Ipswich Town midfielder knows only too well that the Colombians, and their incredibly vocal supporters, will be an altogether different prospect.

"With the amount of fans the Colombians have over here, it's going to be like playing an away game," said Peters, who hopes to shake off a minor leg injury he picked up yesterday.

Mitchell added that he now needs his team to be at their best for the next encounter.

"We have a few matters that need to be a little bit better,'' said Mitchell. "To get anything at this level you need all 11 guys at the top of their game and we didn't have that (against Syria), but we're not in last place in this group.

"Watching Colombia against Italy confirmed what I saw in the videos ... they are a very strong and complete team that can play at a fast tempo when they need to, then slow it right down as well.

"We knew it before and we certainly know it now, Colombia will be a difficult opponent for us."

In Group F matches yesterday, defending champion Brazil was held to a scoreless tie by Nigeria and Switzerland beat South Korea 2-1.

"The best part is that we played with a lot of effort," Rene Weber, a disappointed Brazil coach, said.

With files from Star wire services

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Canada Settles For 1-1 Draw Against Syria

peters_wyc.jpg

Tilburg, Netherlands – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U20) Team bounced back under light rain from an early goal by Syria for a 1-1 draw in their first game of the FIFA World Youth Championship played at the Willem II Stadium in Tilburg on Sunday, June 12, 2005.

Syria scored in the second minute of play after Canadian goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar’s clearing attempt inside the penalty sent the ball into the air. Syrian captain Majed Al Haj challenged Wagenaar in the air and headed the ball toward the empty net. Canadian defender Andrew Hainault chased down the rolling ball but was unable to make the stop before it crossed the goal line.

David Edgar came close to leveling the score in the 18th minute with a low-shot wide of the far post from ten yards out.

Canada continued with pressure on the Syrian goalkeeper Adnan Al Hafez with several attempts by Ryan Gyaki from close range.

Edgar came close a second time in the 27th minute with a 22-yard blast towards the top left corner which was parried by a right diving Hafez.

Jamie Peters scored the equalizer in the 31st minute with a close range header over a stretched Syrian goalkeeper when he connected with a free kick taken by Marcel De Jong.

Syria’s Abd Dakka had the first scoring opportunity of the second half with a 30-yard shot over the Canadian net in the 68th minute.

In the 72nd minute, Brad Peetoom was denied by Al Hafez after he headed the ball low off a corner taken by Tomek Charowski.

Minutes later, Syria hit the cross bar.

The Canucks sustained their pressure with several narrowly missed headers; one by Gyaki off of another Charowski corner in the 83rd and a minute later by Riley O’Neil when he connected with a cross by Nikolas Ledgerwood.

To Canada’s dismay, the final whistle blew and the game ended with a 1-1 draw.

“I’m proud of the team for a strong performance following a disappointing start to the game,” said Head Coach Dale Mitchell. “There were enough opportunities to get the equalizer and then to add to it.”

“There’s a hint of disappointment we didn’t get the three points.”

Canada’s next match is against Colombia on Wednesday, June 15 in Tilburg at 5:30 p.m. (local) / 11:30 a.m. (ET) / 8:30 a.m. (PT). Colombia’s Wason Renteria and Fredy Guarin scored in the 76th and 93rd minutes respectfully to give the South American’s a 2:0 win over Italy in the other group E match played earlier in the evening.

Canada’s final match in the group stage is against Italy in Kerkrade, Holland on June 18th at 1:30 p.m. (local) / 7:30 a.m. (ET)/ 4:30 a.m. (PT).

Both games will be broadcast live on Rogers Sportsnet.

Second stage (Round of sixteen) play will begin on June 21st; the FIFA World Youth Championship 2005 final will take place on July 2nd in Utrecht, Holland.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 – FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 (Group E)

Willem II Stadium - Tilburg, Netherlands

Canada 1(1)

Syria 1(1)

Goals: Canada - Peters (31); Syria - Al Haj (2)

Cautions: Syria – Al Mostafa (49), Al Abdi (80)

Ejections: none

Canada: 1-WAGENAAR Josh; 2- RAMALHO Graham; 3- LEDGERWOOD Nikolas ©; 4-HAINAULT Andrew; 5-PEETOOM Brad (17-LOMBARDO Andrea, 88) 7-PETERS Jaime (18-CHAROWSKI Tomek, 55); 8-ROSENLUND Tyler; 9-GYAKI Ryan; 10-JOHNSON Will; 11-DE JONG Marcel (12-O’NEILL Riley, 68); 14-EDGAR David; Head Coach Dale Mitchell

Subs not used: 6-SCHIAVONI Carlo; 13-BEAULIEU-BOURGAULT Jonathan; 15-STEWART Vince; 16-LALLI Fanco; 19-BEGOVIC Asmir; 20-GIACOMI Rob; 21-KASSAYE Simon

Syria:1-AL HAFEZ Adnan; 4-KHALAF Abdul (12-AL KADDOUR Zakariya, 88); 5-AL AITONI Hamzeh; 6-AL MOSTAFA Hasan; 7-KAILOUNI Meaataz (9-OSSI Mahmoud, 92); 8-ALHOUSAIN Abd; 13-JENYAT Aatef; 14-AL HAJ Majed ©; 15-NAHLOUS Samer (11-AL ABDI Jalal, 25); 17-DAKKA Abd; 20-SHAHROUR Salah

Subs not used: 2-ALDAMEN Mohammad; 10-AL HAMWI Mohammad; 18-SAHIWNI Bwrhan; 21-SHAKOSH Moustafa

Group E

GP W T L GF GA PTS

Colombia 1 1 0 0 2 0 3

Canada 1 0 1 0 1 1 1

Syria 1 0 1 0 1 1 1

Italy 1 0 0 1 0 2 0

12-06-05 Colombia 2, Italy 0

12-06-06 Syria 1, Canada 1

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2228

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cdn. under-20 soccer ties Syria

TILBURG, Netherlands (CP) - Jaime Peters scored in the 31st minute as the Canadian under-20 soccer team survived a nightmarish start Sunday to tie Syria 1-1 in its opening match at the World Youth Championship.

The Canadians had targeted Syria, knowing that tougher Group E opponents lay ahead in South American champion Colombia and Italy. The South Americans defeated Italy 2-0 earlier Sunday.

"Obviously we had an unfortunate start," said Canada coach Dale Mitchell. "But I was proud of how the guys reacted to it because I thought from that point on we were the better team. We got the equalizer and I think there were opportunities there for us to add to our totals tonight.

"But at the end of the day, we're a little disappointed that we didn't get all three points because they were there for the taking."

The young Canadians found themselves down 1-0 in the second minute when goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar miskicked a back pass at the edge of the penalty box. Instead of being cleared, the ball spiralled into the air and Syrian striker Majed Al Haj rose higher than Wagenaar, heading it into the empty goal as defender Andrew Hainault tried in vain to get to the ball.

"Mistakes will happen," said Mitchell. "You can be a goal down, but I was proud of how they reacted to it and stuck to the job."

The freak goal staggered the Canadians but they seemed to have composed themselves by the 10-minute mark, winning a string of corners.

Attacking midfielder Ryan Gyaki, who scored all four of Canada's goals in qualifying, looked dangerous as Canada pressed, while the Syrians seemed content to defend and counter-attack.

Syrian goalkeeper Adnan Al Hafez made a wonderful diving save in the 28th minute, palming a David Edgar long-range rocket off the post.

The Canadian pressure was rewarded in the 31st minute when a Syrian defender missed a header off a Marcel de Jong free kick from the left flank and the five-foot-seven Peters sent a looping header into the goal.

Peters, an 18-year-old who has won seven caps for the senior national team, was a threat throughout, tormenting Syrian defenders before he came off in the 55th minute.

Mitchell said Peters wasn't hurt, but that he thought it was a good time for a substitution.

"We decided to make a change, put somebody else on and see if we could get down the right side a little bit more," said Mitchell.

The pace slowed in a largely even and sluggish second half.

Al Haj hit the crossbar in the 75th minute. The best Canadian chances were an Edgar header that was well saved by the Syrian 'keeper and a Gyaki header off a corner that was just wide.

It appeared the Syrians might have been feigning injury in an effort to waste time and frustrate the Canadians, who pressed for a go-ahead goal as regulation time wound down. But Canada was unable to crack the Syrian defence.

"The referees are doing everything they can to ensure that the game is played at the proper tempo," said Mitchell. "But you can't stop players from trying to slow it down when they're on the ropes a little bit."

Canada had a slight statistical edge, with 51 per cent of possession. The Canadians outshot Syrians 11-10 (5-3 in shots on target). Canada also had 13 corners to seven for Syria.

In other play Sunday, defending champion Brazil was held to a 0-0 draw by Nigeria, and Switzerland beat South Korea 2-1 in Group F play.

On Saturday, the U.S. pulled off a major upset by defeating powerful Argentina 1-0 in Group D play.

Canada plays Colombia on Wednesday before wrapping up first-round play against Italy on June 18.

"The next two teams that we're going to play are going to be tougher than Syria," said Mitchell. "But I think that some of our players are going to be better for having one game at this level under their belts.

"I think that some of them showed tonight that they can play at this level. Some of the other ones I think may be a little disappointed with their performance and look to be stronger, which we'll need to be to get points against Colombia and Italy."

The top two teams in each of the six first-round pools, plus the four best third-place finishers advance to the second round.

The 52-game tournament schedule wraps up July 2.

Mitchell had to juggle his roster leading into the Syria game after Matt Britner's injury woes continued. The Halifax defender, who had won his place back on the team after knee surgery, hurt his ankle in training and was replaced on Canada's 21-man roster by Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault of Ile-Bizard, Que.

Mitchell led Canada into the quarter-finals two years ago in the United Arab Emirates, the best ever showing by a Canadian men's team at a FIFA world championship. The Canadian campaign ended in a 2-1 extra-time loss to eventual runner-up Spain.

In 1997 in Malaysia, Bruce Twamley's team made it to the second round before losing 2-0 to Spain.

Syria, which finished fourth in Asian qualifying, has some youngsters playing above their years. Midfielder Aatef Jenyat saw regular action with the senior side in World Cup qualifying last year. Meaataz Kailouni scored against Kyrgyzstan in World Cup qualifying and several other under-20 players were on the fringes of the senior roster.

The senior sides for both countries are neighbours in the FIFA world rankings, with Canada at No. 83 and Syria at No. 85.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/06/12/1083835-cp.html

"Canadian soccer fan's main virtue is to invent new reasons to fail with dignity..."

Ahhh, what could be better than waking up with a hangover to another day of glorious falure? Let someone else take the direct route and finish their chances with confidence, for that is not our way! Our legacy, as Canadians, is courage, honour...and dodgy keepers.

No excuses from me. I will not ramble on about the emergence of exciting young players with big potential, nor will you hear me taking comfort in the fact that a Maple Leaf team dominated posession and actually looked comfortable doing it. No sir, the important thing is that we manged once again to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There seems to be conflicting reports about Peters, Mitchell saying he wasn't hurt but the Star article saying he was. Or is now at least, with a "minor leg injury".

This would be unfortunate situation if this is the case. He is certainly player they need to be healthly, regardless the tie hurt them where they should have won. However it would not surprise me if injuries may be an issue considering the size of their opponents and lack of competition with some players just collapsing as a team.

Possibly the mister knew of this injury prior to the start of the tournament losing a defender and bring in a midfielder.

There is no question that the teams Columbia and Italy are going to be tougher opponents and are more physical fit. But regardless as I have said in a previous post experience and older players will prevail over younger and less experience players.

The notes and the recap from here is that both teams Canada and Syria looked tired going into the second half and not prepared well enough. Many players out of the position from both sides basically unstable formation and very very weak positioning skills, mostly kick and run attacks, poor passing and weak on their feet, no solid ground of possession futbol.

If this is the true perception of the games chronicles as noted here it will only get worse when you meet Columbia and finally Italy in the next games unless things change drastically in the next few days.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Just patiently waiting for one of you soccer geniuses to show a minimum of consistency and ask why Wagenaar is pre-selected for the Gold Cup while we are ignoring a keeper playing in a top flight European league.

There is a whole long thread on the GC with debates about potential call-ups, and noone has even hinted at this inconsistency.

I hate having to insist on these things, but since the Canadian soccer fan's main virtue is to invent new reasons to fail with dignity, then complain about his or her own inventions, sometimes it is worth a minor attempt to cut through the bs that impregnates this board.

I'd like to get on your bandwagon, but one thing that bothers me is that Fernandes is still telling people in Greece that he's Portuguese.

You seem to know him, do you know for a fact that he wasn't invited to the recent B camp? Then again, Wagenaar is going to get cut or sit on the bench. I don't see how Yallop could make that invite sound all that appealing to Daniel?

If Hirschfeld sees any action I would be upset that Fernandes didn't get a shot, but in all likelihood Sutton will play out the string. What good will it do Fernandes to sit on the bench?

Also, every league in Europe can't be "top-flight." What's the order: England, Spain, Italy, Greece?

I agree with a lot of what has been said already especially MikeD comments on Ledgerwood, who I thought has one of the best first touches I've seen in a Canadian player. Best Canadian on the field IMHO. I also liked the play of Ramalho, Edgar and Gyaki. Our central defence looked a bit scary and indecisive at times. Agree Edgar may be better in central defence, or insert Kassaye, who I thought was our best defender in the two qualifying games I have seen. I guess his inactivity at club level has been detrimental. Rosenlund can run with the ball, but that final pass releasing our strikers, that he is known for, was missing yesterday.

I will also echo An Observer's comment about the potential of our 2007 edition when Edgar, Johnson and Paters were three of our better players.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This particular genius has made no comment on the pre-selection list at all as it is non-binding and the actual list may look radically different.

From that list, however, Wagenaar looks like a throw in, rather than a legit contender for a roster spot: someone to cut who would likely have no expectations of making the team. My preference on the current keeper "crisis" would be a competitive camp and game opportunities for all of the top 4-6 candidates, of which I would definitely include Fernandes (and I think we only have four legit candidates at this point: Dani, Lars, Kenny and Sutton {whose first name escapes me right now [:I]}. In fact, I'd like to see every position contested in camp prior to any game, especially in formal tournament when we should have time to do so. Unfortunately, I am not sure the fragile pysche of some of our players can stand that. This is not directed at Dan as I know nothing of his character, but more towards the Jim "don't select me if I am not going to start" Brennans and Fernando "I play for Benfica damn it!" Aguiars of the world. Oh and trust me, I am confident nay, certain, that their non-inclusion was a blunder on Yallop's part - just two of many from Mr. Yallop during the last WC fiasco. But the pouty 'taking my ball and going home' does not lend itself to competitive camps and selection processes now does it?

Dani has yet to get his due at the senior level. He was given opportunity at the youth level and for whatever reasons it did not work out for him. The notion of "bring the likely keeper for the next youth tournament as a back-up" is not without merit - Wagenaar last time, Bergovic this year - even if the guy with the experience made a blunder in the first 2 minuites of the first game. But Fernandes has moved on, continues to grow a career that indicates long term and high level so far. Based on what he has done with PAOK this year alone, he is equally deserving as any of the others of a chance.

The three best players were ones that provide ready made solutions to some of the problems our senior side have been having: David Edgar is wise beyond his years in terms of composure and distribution, a steady central defender to step into JDV's shoes; Tyler Rosenlund has the vision and finesse to be a classic playmaker in the centre of midfield and Jamie Peeters is the best I've ever seen in a Canadian jersey (there are few better in any jersey) at beating his marker out wide and whipping in quality crosses. If they had been born five years earlier we would be going to Germany!

Now all we need is Begovic to step up big and we'll have a 'keeper!

not to reiterate all that has been said already but, Yes the Peters substitution was for me the wrong move. I felt Lombardo came on to late as well, he had just a few minutes to get involved in the game. Ledgerwood was great, his long ball passes were mental!

Anyway, Syria's players were weak, they couldent stand up, falling everywhere and always injuring themselfs (ie. GK and D clashing after Gyaki was baking in). I just hope that Canada can build on the good ball movement and use their strenth to punnish the Colombians! let's hope we get an English ref!!!!! he will let the boys play then! a latin refferee may want a finess game which would prolly favor the Colombians.

Go Canada Go!

Did anybody else notice that none of the kids in the lineup seemed to know the words to the national anthem. The captain was only one trying to sing, but you could tell he was like a verse behind and just making **** up!

Classic Canadiana!

quote:Originally posted by canso

Did anybody else notice that none of the kids in the lineup seemed to know the words to the national anthem. The captain was only one trying to sing, but you could tell he was like a verse behind and just making **** up!

Classic Canadiana!

They need the girls in the class to get them going.:D

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Yes, at this level its a huge factor. I haven't done any counting, but it does seem that we have far fewer players born in 85 than our rivals. And you could probably say the same for this team in comparaison to prior editions. Its entirely possible that this side was constructed with an eye towards 2007.

The last player added was born in 1988 and he is listed as weighing only 60kg!!!

Archived