June 12 WYC - Canada v Syria - POST-match [R]

DJT

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

From that list, however, Wagenaar looks like a throw in, rather than a legit contender for a roster spot: someone to cut who would likely have no expectations of making the team. My preference on the current keeper "crisis" would be a competitive camp and game opportunities for all of the top 4-6 candidates, of which I would definitely include Fernandes (and I think we only have four legit candidates at this point: Dani, Lars, Kenny and Sutton {whose first name escapes me right now [:I]}.

Good points Gordo, you are indeed the Einstein of Saskatchewan.:)

Just to add to the list of possible GC Goalkeepers, (and I have nothing to add to their relative merits, I think I'm getting confused...but as a longitme Lars supporter, I now think Sutton would be our best bet for the GC so far), don't forget Ian Kennet's inside comments about Yallop's assessment of some of the players at the B Camp (that Franks of the Whitecaps was impressive at the camp). I think we could see him on the bench at Seattle as one of the three (instead of Wagenaar as one of the three). Sutton is there for sure, it looks like the issue may be whether it's Kenny or Lars as the main back-up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you guys keep the GC roster questions out of this thread? I'd like to skip reading about how Jason Jordan will be starting for Canada in the GC due to his massive performance against the HUDWSF (Honduran Union of Dishwashers - South Florida). I just ate lunch.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Good points Gordo, you are indeed the Einstein of Saskatchewan.:)

I'd say that title properly belongs with Matthew when it comes to canadian soccer. But since you used "Gordo" and you are in Mexico, I must assume it was meant in jest :)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Can you guys keep the GC roster questions out of this thread? I'd like to skip reading about how Jason Jordan will be starting for Canada in the GC due to his massive performance against the HUDWSF (Honduran Union of Dishwashers - South Florida). I just ate lunch.

Funny, you're the only person to mention Jordan in this thread.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

I did not want to start a new thread,because I dont know if its worthy of one but here is a site with all the hilights from this World Championships.

http://www.nos.nl/noswktot20/dagoverzicht/samenvattingen.html

Thanks for that. Pretty sparse summary there, especially when the shot of the Syrian national team posing for photos was longer than any play offered. But so be it. Will have to opt for Chile-Honduras for a bit longer shot of entertainment.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I'd like to get on your bandwagon, but one thing that bothers me is that Fernandes is still telling people in Greece that he's Portuguese.

You seem to know him, do you know for a fact that he wasn't invited to the recent B camp? Then again, Wagenaar is going to get cut or sit on the bench. I don't see how Yallop could make that invite sound all that appealing to Daniel?

If Hirschfeld sees any action I would be upset that Fernandes didn't get a shot, but in all likelihood Sutton will play out the string. What good will it do Fernandes to sit on the bench?

Also, every league in Europe can't be "top-flight." What's the order: England, Spain, Italy, Greece?

Sorry, but you are not the first person to use this little rumour as a way to do a bit of muckraking and justify Yallop's lack of class in not at least calling him up. With very bad faith indeed, considering he's on holiday at home right now (meaning probably within shouting distance -strong lungs albeit- of where you are in your living room).

As anyone will understand, if you are playing in Greece, an EU country, and are doing so as an EU eligible player, you cannot go around all day saying you are Kenyan. You are Irish -or Dutch, or Portuguese- because otherwise you are create a bit of confusion. There are probably about nineteen dozen cases pretty well the same, more or less similar, in Europe.

As a player at Paok he is Portuguese; as a person he is Canadian. Who happens to be the Canadian keeper playing at the highest professional level right now, along with Onstad.

But why should that matter, since like for so many out there the idea is to try as hard as possible to get the worst possible call-up for the Gold Cup, justify to the limit absenses that should not be accepted, and then be able to bow out with the typical "it was our B- team" excuse.

Poor start for Wagenaar. He appeared to be just another Onstad. Maybe Mitchell should consider using a GK coach rather than just the Equipment Manager. I liked the Syrian GK, he was in-charge and knew how to exploit the weaknesses of the referee. Are Begovic and Giacomi any better with more experience and confidence?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Sorry, but you are not the first person to use this little rumour as a way to do a bit of muckraking and justify Yallop's lack of class in not at least calling him up. With very bad faith indeed, considering he's on holiday at home right now (meaning probably within shouting distance -strong lungs albeit- of where you are in your living room).

As anyone will understand, if you are playing in Greece, an EU country, and are doing so as an EU eligible player, you cannot go around all day saying you are Kenyan. You are Irish -or Dutch, or Portuguese- because otherwise you are create a bit of confusion. There are probably about nineteen dozen cases pretty well the same, more or less similar, in Europe.

As a player at Paok he is Portuguese; as a person he is Canadian. Who happens to be the Canadian keeper playing at the highest professional level right now, along with Onstad.

But why should that matter, since like for so many out there the idea is to try as hard as possible to get the worst possible call-up for the Gold Cup, justify to the limit absenses that should not be accepted, and then be able to bow out with the typical "it was our B- team" excuse.

You didn't answer any of my questions, and wtf is "muckraking?" I'm not for or against anybody -and I'm not the one who highjacked a thread to take shots at a kid who made a blunder doing his best for his country just to cry about his nephew. Two points:

1) If you have an EU passport the Greeks can't do dick all no matter what you call yourself. Especially when the guy doing the asking plays video games for living.

2) Until you confirm, we don't know if Yallop contacted him

Not that I'm defending Josh or anything, as far as I'm concearned he played his way onto the bench yesterday, but just for the sake of Devil's advocate and what-not...

The back pass came to his off foot and the pitch was definately greasy before the match even started. So tough handling there last night. Real tough.

Don't know if during a 3 match in 7 day tourny you really have an option of changing up 'keepers barring anything short of injury. Normaly I'd say you're stuck with whoever you started with just because there's no time for the D to aclimatise to a new body between the sticks. However, given the D looked all a shambles way more than once yesterday Mr. Mitchell may have an option there.

Not so sure that Peters wouldn't be a suitable sub' on the senior side after yesterday. Wouldn't complain (like I was last year) about it. But this is now. Certainly has some learning to do. Maybe needs to get a bit braver out there too. A little time with Hume would do him wonders with learing when and where to take the initiative and maybe be greedy.

One game though. Against Syria. Ah well. A little flash in the pan now and again will keep a fellow hoping for a nugget.

Good news though is with such a tight schedule Columbia may be looking to rest players as they'll only need a point between Canada and Syria later this week. And Syria looks easy pickings so, good news for us eh?

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Poor start for Wagenaar. He appeared to be just another Onstad. Maybe Mitchell should consider using a GK coach rather than just the Equipment Manager. I liked the Syrian GK, he was in-charge and knew how to exploit the weaknesses of the referee. Are Begovic and Giacomi any better with more experience and confidence?

What weaknesses are you referring to? I thought the Danish ref was quite competent. Dealt with the Syrian "injuries"' quickly and I thought he allowed the game to flow quite freely.

Wow, we are having an U-20 keeper who makes one mistake and everyone is going mad about it. Yallop and Mitchell are pretty high on the kid and he makes a blunder and now he's the new Pat Onstad.........at least some of you could wait before judging him to quickly. The game against Colombia will be a good way to evaluate him to see if he'll bounce back from a very average performance. It would be stupid to throw the towell on a kid who's been our U-20 starter for 2 yrs just because of one mistake.

JeffreyS.: First Dani Fernandes at the same age made a blunder with our U-20 team too, no big deal those guys are young and they need to learn from it. Second, if you know anything about why Dani wasn't called by Yallop it would be nice if could tell us. I'll go on the GC thread to discuss this question.

It was probably one of the easiest games to officiate. The Syrians didn't even force fouls or even forced canadians to tackle since they ( Syrians) did a pretty good job of giving up the ball on their own. They also gave us quite a bit of space. In the end, Canada came out of match with clean sheet of no cards. That has to be one of the positives considering what happened to both Italy and colombia. Italy received 5 yellows.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, I didn't really have a problem with officiating in that match either (even if he was pretty liberal with non-hand ball calls).

Ah, handball. The letter law states there's no such thing, only "deliberate handling of the ball" so the ref's quite right to wave off any thing that he feels isn't "hand to ball" rather than "ball to hand." Still, in most situations at the level of this tournament a referee will whistle down any obivous hand contact with the ball. So yeah, I agree. The Danish seemed to call it by the letter of the law.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, I didn't really have a problem with officiating in that match either (even if he was pretty liberal with non-hand ball calls).

Ah, handball. The letter law states there's no such thing, only "deliberate handling of the ball" so the ref's quite right to wave off any thing that he feels isn't "hand to ball" rather than "ball to hand." Still, in most situations at the level of this tournament a referee will whistle down any obivous hand contact with the ball. So yeah, I agree. The Danish seemed to call it by the letter of the law.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Wow, we are having an U-20 keeper who makes one mistake and everyone is going mad about it. Yallop and Mitchell are pretty high on the kid and he makes a blunder and now he's the new Pat Onstad.........at least some of you could wait before judging him to quickly. The game against Colombia will be a good way to evaluate him to see if he'll bounce back from a very average performance. It would be stupid to throw the towell on a kid who's been our U-20 starter for 2 yrs just because of one mistake.

JeffreyS.: First Dani Fernandes at the same age made a blunder with our U-20 team too, no big deal those guys are young and they need to learn from it. Second, if you know anything about why Dani wasn't called by Yallop it would be nice if could tell us. I'll go on the GC thread to discuss this question.

I agree one mistake and everyone goes off on the keeper. I have seen worst from much higher rated keepers. As a matter of fact I have seen Dudek, Kahn & Dida make the same bobo. What about the Gk from Sweden in the WC who tripped over the ball. It happens!!!

After finally getting a chance to watch (my recording of) the Syria game, I have to echo those who expressed being impressed with the young David Edgar player.

To me, he was the player with the best vision and crisp passing of the team. It was as if the game seemed slower to him than the others - rarely forced a pass, often was able to make time for himself - to look for better options. Very impressive player to me.

You can see why Edgar is so highly rated at Newcastle. Looked like Roy Keane out there bossing the midfield, and he's got the size to anchor a backline.

Ledgerwood is naturally right footed and a natural candidate for right back on the senior side.

Wonder where Gyaki's career is going to go? He's a bit special as well. When I see him run and run and run, I think of a shaggy mustang colt running wild across the Alberta prairie.[:I]

Can he be as effective in a tighter tactical harness? Would he be broken if he didn't have the same range and freedom?

Can I call him Hidalgo?

Wagenaar puts goal behind him

By LORI EWING

(CP) - The Canadians will face their toughest foe yet when they battle South American soccer power Colombia at the World Youth Championship on Wednesday.

Josh Wagenaar can't wait. For the Canadian 'keeper, whose unfortunate miskick led to a goal for Syria in a 1-1 tie in the team's opening game of the under-20 world tournament Sunday, it's a chance to move forward.

"I feel really good," Wagenaar said in a phone interview Tuesday from Tilburg in the Netherlands.

"I really want to get back on the field and play again. Obviously when something like that happens, the only way to get back is to keep playing and have confidence all the time and not worry about it anymore."

The Colombians showed they're the class of Group E with a 2-0 victory over Italy in their opening game Sunday, and Canadian coach Dale Mitchell is well aware of what's in store for his team against the South American champions.

"Obviously any team that can come out of South America as No. 1, when you have Brazil and Argentina in your confederation, they're a very good side," Mitchell said, before heading out for a practice session.

"They're a team that can play slow and keep the ball if they want. They also have a lot of pace up front and can change it, and get a lot of people into the attack, a lot of people around the ball.

"They're a very impressive and complete team, that we will have to be outstanding really to get a result against."

Colombia won the bronze medal at the world youth tournament two years ago in the United Arab Emirates, and are once again a huge medal threat, arriving in the Netherlands having scored 20 goals in nine games in winning the South American qualifier.

"They look pretty good on tape, they've got some pretty good attacking players, which is the way of South American soccer," said Wagenaar, who will be in net again for Canada.

And if Wednesday's game (11:30 a.m. EDT) is anything like Colombia's opener, the Colombians will have the crowd on their side.

On Sunday, the Willem II Stadium was a sea of Colombian flags and banners as South American fans with painted faces poured in from Belgium and Germany and across the Netherlands to cheer on Colombia against Italy.

"I guess it's kind of a feeling of home for them still," said Wagenaar, whose mom and dad will be among the relatively small Canadian cheering section in Tilburg.

Colombian coach Eduardo Lara hopes the fans keep coming.

"My 'sons' worked hard against Italy and tried their best to please all of those fantastic Colombian supporters who came to watch us," Lara said on the FIFA website.

"We want to please our fans in Colombia, the Colombians over here and also the Dutch people because we feel there is some love for us in the host country also.

"We will go into the Canada match with the same sense of responsibility that we had against Italy. Canada are also a good team so we have to stay humble and keep both feet on the ground."

This time, Canada will have to be sharp from the opening whistle. The Canadians got off to a nightmarish beginning Sunday when Wagenaar tried to clear a backpass from a defender, but the ball glanced off his foot and spun up in the air. A Syrian striker headed the ball in for a goal.

Mitchell believes opening-game jitters may have played a role in the early minutes, and was pleased with how his young team regrouped, narrowly missing on a couple of scoring chances that could have given the Canadians a victory.

The six-foot-two Wagenaar, who's a sophomore at Hartwick College in Oneonta, N.Y., in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, said his bungled kick is the kind of mistake that happens maybe once or twice in a 'keeper's career. Sunday was just really bad timing.

"Obviously it wasn't a great start for us as a team and me especially," said Wagenaar. "But it happens in the game of soccer, especially in the goalkeeping position. You've got to expect things like that to happen. . . and it was just disappointing it had to happen now at this time.

"You've got to look forward and put it behind you, especially as a goalkeeper, you've got to keep looking ahead."

Canada wraps up first-round play against Italy on June 18.

The top two teams in each of the six first-round pools, plus the four best third-place finishers advance to the second round.

Mitchell led Canada into the quarter-finals two years ago in the United Arab Emirates, the best ever showing by a Canadian men's team at a FIFA world championship.

I thought Ledgerwood was a natural LB too, but he played both sides in qualifying. Thanks for the clarification canso. He did a nice job on Jenyat it has to be said as well.

One thing I noticed about the Wagenaar mis-kick is that he's left-footed and the kick came with his right. Shouldn't make a big difference, but probably didn't help. I don't think there's any doubt Mitchell needs to and will go back to him. I'm worried about the Colombians shooting from outside of the area, but hopefully he rebounds with something special.

cheers,

matthew

Archived