Yallop Announces Roster For N. Ireland

El Hombre

Let the debate begin!!

--------------------------

Men's World Cup Team

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Yallop Announces Roster For N. Ireland

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s National Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 16-player roster for the upcoming international friendly against Northern Ireland in Belfast on February 9. The game will be played at Windsor Park with an 8:00 p.m. local time kickoff.

“This is our first international friendly since the Wales game last year and it will be good to get a quality game under our belts,” said Yallop. “The Gold Cup this summer is an important event for us and this is part of the preparation process as we gear up for the tournament.”

Eleven of the players selected played in Canada’s 1-0 win over Guatemala on November 17, 2004. Yallop has also chosen defender Marco Reda, who is now playing with Aalborg in Denmark, along with midfielder Mike Klukowski who recently signed with FC Brugge in Belgium.

Iain Hume and Daniel Imhof return to the squad after missing the Guatemala game while Norwich City midfielder Jim Brennan has also been called in for the first time since the Belize series.

Lars Hirschfeld, who last week signed with Leicester City of the League Championship and the Montreal Impact’s Greg Sutton are the two keepers chosen.

Joining Reda in defence are left back Josh Simpson from Millwall, Kevin McKenna of Hearts, Gabriel Gervais of the Impact and Atiba Hutchinson of Sweden’s Helsingborg.

Rounding out the midfield is Jaime Peters, fresh off the success of last week’s CONCACAF qualifying tournament in Honduras for the FIFA World Youth Championship, along with Patrice Bernier from Tromso in Norway and Millwall’s Adrian Serioux.

Up front, Yallop has also selected Odd Grenland’s Olivier Occean along with Dwayne de Rosario who is currently on trial with FC Aarhus in Denmark.

The squad will gather in Belfast on February 6 and train there for two days before the friendly. The team will then gather in the Algarve on March 20 in preparation for their friendly against Portugal in Barcelos on March 26.

Canadian Roster For International Friendly vs Northern Ireland

Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

33 Lars Hirschfeld GK Leicester City, League Championship 10/17/78 17 5

1 Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, USL First Division 4/19/77 1 1

3 Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, USL First Division 9/18/76 3 0

13 Atiba Hutchinson M Helsingborg, Swedish Premier 3/8/83 11 1

14 Dwayne de Rosario F Aarhus, Danish First Division 5/15/78 27 7

15 Josh Simpson D Millwall, League Championship 5/15/83 6 0

7 Jaime Peters M Ipswich Town, League Championship 5/4/87 5 0

9 Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian Premier 10/23/81 7 0

10 Patrice Bernier M Tromso, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 6 0

4 Kevin McKenna D Hearts, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 25 7

12 Mike Klukowski D/M FC Brugge, Belgian First Division 5/27/81 3 0

6 Adrian Serioux M Millwall, English League Championship 5/12/79 2 0

8 Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 29 0

16 Iain Hume F Tranmere Rovers, English League One 10/20/83 10 0

11 Jim Brennan M Norwich City, English Premier 5/8/77 34 3

5 Marco Reda D Aalborg, Danish First Division 6/22/77 0 0

Staff

Andy Sharpe Head of Delegation

Frank Yallop Head Coach

Mark Watson Assistant Coach

Morgan Quarry Team Manager

Victor Mendes Equipment Manager

Kevin Wagner Physiotherapist

Ed Johnson Doctor

---------------

Quick scan has the following missing: Stalteri, De Vos, Bircham. Nice to see Brennan's back.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmm ... possible 11. consider that De Rosario and Sutton, while in training, are not exactly experienced in matches of late.

Hirschfeld

Kluckowski Reda McKenna Simpson

Serioux

Imhof Hutchinson Brennan

Hume Occean

The lack of a true general in the middle of the park is the one obvious weakness. I have no problem with our forward, and I feel the same way with our back line. It's nice to see Reda get a chance in game action. Our midfield will have to determine how well we do.

Here's hoping that Brennan can push forward as he usually does, Hutchinson can hold as well as he can, and Imhof and Serioux play solid games. I don't see any reason why we can't win this one.

I'm not surprised to see some of the big names missing (i.e. Stalteri, De Vos, Radz, De Guz) and I'm happy to see Jim Brennan back. I'm also glad that Kluka is getting a shot to impress, but I thought that Nsaliwa might be called up as well. Maybe we'll see him for Portugal.

I agree that we look weak in attacking midfield, as both Imhof and Serioux are generally holding players. Can Atiba be our midfield general?

I'm really looking forward to this match and the potential for victory. It'd be nice to see Canadian soccer get on a roll of good results.

Was hoping to see Grande in there, but he may be busy with trials at the moment. Any idea where he's at?

And of course, I really want to see Nsaliwa back in the line-up. Perhpas for Portugal we'll bring in Nsaliwa, DeGuzman and Stalteri. I sort of hope we have our strongest young team for that battle.

Nice to see Jim and Reda and Kluka in the roster.

What a lame selection. I mean really, Andy Sharpe as the head of the delegation. Very dissapointing. I hope he's paying for this holiday out of his own pocket.:D

Pretty good player selection though. Nice to see Brennan back in the lineup. I can understand not seeing deVos, but i'm not sure about Stalteri's absence from the lineup. Maybe we'll see him against Portugal.

I just wonder how realistic its going to be to get the "big guys" like De Vos, De Guzman, Stalteri & Radzinski for the Gold Cup, given its timing in relation to next season, and as such for that reason Yallop is perhaps using these friendlies to look at some others who are going to be used in the Gold Cup. Which does make sense.

Having said that, for the sake of national team pride I think its important to call in De Guzman & Stalteri, at the very least, when we face Portugal. The chances of us getting a result in Portugal will be greater with those two in the line-up, and we should, if we are serious about the Gold Cup, have many more friendlies to prepare for the Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Was hoping to see Grande in there, but he may be busy with trials at the moment. Any idea where he's at?

And of course, I really want to see Nsaliwa back in the line-up. Perhpas for Portugal we'll bring in Nsaliwa, DeGuzman and Stalteri. I sort of hope we have our strongest young team for that battle.

Nice to see Jim and Reda and Kluka in the roster.

The Grandfather thread has Grande trialling with LA Galaxy at momont. He proved his worth in the latter WCQ's, I'm sure we'll see him in Portugal.

Re: Abscence of Stalteri, De Vos, and July deGuzman...they are in important vital positions for their clubs now, I'm sure that Frank has reached past and future understandings with their clubs to pass them over for this date, think we'll see them down in Portugal and in Gold Cup, Portugal will be the last chance to play them together until the home friendlies in Ontario and Quebec just before the Gold Cup.

If we go to the Kirin Cup, mid-late May, I expect to see a largely B team, as the timing is not that good for any leagues and is too far from Gold Cup for serious preparation for that. Maybe De Vos, Hume, Serioux, Simpson, Peters, Brennan and McKenna if their clubs aren't involved in playoffs then.

I am generally happy with this squad, especially the addition of Klukowski, and hope to see a few more additions like Nsaliwa and Jasic in Portugal.

Oh, and no tv coverage announced. Sportsnet showed the same two teams at the same venue in 1999, but they don't appear to be showing this one. That's obviously the best way to grow the market for your product. And yes, the previous sentence was sarcastic.

This will make the 5th match in a row (Guatemala, 3 U20 qualifiers & N.Ireland) that Sportsnet doesn't show. I think two things are called for. 1. Bombard the buggers with emails as to whether they are showing the Portugal match & 2. Send them the bill for our collective postage costs for having to send VHS tapes & DVD's all over the bloody country for the U20 matches.

There are no Bundesliga players in this lineup but there may be a reason for this. He may be trying to give a career boost to current or potential UK based players as the game will receive some coverage in the UK and the three German based players are well established at the club level and the Portugal game will get more coverage on the continent. Given their absence, I am pretty happy with this lineup and glad that Brennan is back. Let's hope that this lineup forms the core of the lineup in future games and Yallop doesn't start experimenting in the middle of an important tournament again. Hopefully he will be more effective in employing the players in positions and tactics where they can succeed.

I've got a feeling he might try out Bernier as the midfield general...

Funny that Sutton has number 1 and Hirsch has Patrick Roy's 33 ;).

My expected starting XI (not necessarilly my choice):

GK 33 Lars Hirschfeld GK Leicester City, League Championship 10/17/78

LB 12 Mike Klukowski D/M FC Brugge, Belgian First Division 5/27/81 3 0

CB 3 Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, USL First Division 9/18/76 3 0

CB 4 Kevin McKenna D Hearts, Scottish Premier 1/21/80 25 7

RB 13 Atiba Hutchinson M Helsingborg, Swedish Premier 3/8/83 11 1

LM 11 Jim Brennan M Norwich City, English Premier 5/8/77 34 3

AM 10 Patrice Bernier M Tromso, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 6 0

DM 8 Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 29 0

RM 16 Iain Hume F Tranmere Rovers, English League One 10/20/83 10 0

ST 14 Dwayne de Rosario F Aarhus, Danish First Division 5/15/78 27 7

ST 9 Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian Premier 10/23/81 7 0

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

There are no Bundesliga players in this lineup but there may be a reason for this. He may be trying to give a career boost to current or potential UK based players as the game will receive some coverage in the UK and the three German based players are well established at the club level and the Portugal game will get more coverage on the continent. Given their absence, I am pretty happy with this lineup and glad that Brennan is back. Let's hope that this lineup forms the core of the lineup in future games and Yallop doesn't start experimenting in the middle of an important tournament again. Hopefully he will be more effective in employing the players in positions and tactics where they can succeed.

I am not too worried about Stalteri or Deguzman because I can understand the rationale. But, barring a refusal, I expect to see Nsaliwa called to one of these games and can only chalk it up to Frank being obtuse about it if he isn't. Reda deserves a look for sure, but it is time to get Tam back into the fold.

Archived