------Sutton---

--Reda----Gervais

Serioux------Klukowski

-------Imhof---

-----Attiba----

DeRo-----Hume---Simpson

-------McKenna

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

In what way? How on earth can it be a conflict of interest to do the job you are being paid to do? He's being paid to manage the team, he needs to be with the team to do that.

Do you really believe that. I am just looking at Section Nine of the CSA Constitution.

I honestly do not understand the negative view of Imhof at all. Yes, in time we will have much stronger options, but right now he is one of our most dependable d-mids. I'd even argue that he'd make a decent right flank mid if we needed him there. I saw him in Edmonton and Vancouver, and he was very solid in both games. In the Edmonton game--where we got doubly robbed--he was one of our best players throughout the game. he plays a very quiet, serviceable role. Very dependable, and not slow at all.

Now, with that said, will he be able to hold his starting role with the likes of Grande, Stalteri, Hutch, DeGuzman etc etc ? Not likely. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing beside Reda at Centre D either. We are a bit light in the defensive core, and I imagine Frank will be looking to find ways to build a strong and capable group back there. Daniel is a smart player. he could do well back there with Reda.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Which says?

I think he means section 10. Section 9 is a volunteer screening policy which "provides all participants some protection against known child abusers or people with serious criminal records."

Section 10 refers to conflicts of interest on the part of directors and executive committee members of the CSA. However, in order for a conflict of interest to occur when there is a financial interest or an interest that conflicts with the loyalty to the CSA.

Not sure how doing one's job is conflicting with one's loyalty with the CSA.

Just trying to help.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I honestly do not understand the negative view of Imhof at all.

He does look so much better in person than he does on the tube, so I know where some of the criticism is coming from. I used to pan his play based on the TV coverage and the guys at the game would call me on it. Since seeing him in person however, I know that he is quietly effective in his role and a consumate pro. I don't think he is a weak link at all.

The conflict of interest guidelines (and they are guidelines) are for directors & executive committee members, which I don't think applies to the team manager - not that there is any question of a conflict, perceived or actual, to begin with in this instance. If you go further down into the head of delegation responsibilities, there is also a paragraph on the duties of the team manager, which closely parallels what I stated earlier. To be precise:

"Arrangements for air tickets, passports & visas, hotel reservations, vaccination requirements, medical, travel and player service insurance, traveller's cheques & credit cards, team equipment and other logistics."

and

"Arrangements for group's daily activities with the Head of Delegation."

If anyone thinks all this can be done by sitting at a desk in Ottawa, using semaphore to communicate with the various airports' staff, smoke signals to communicate with hotel staff in Belfast, and morse code to ensure the team arrives on time to practice at Windsor Park, they need to think again.

Honestly, I can't even believe this is being debated.

Yes, that is the best way to describe Imhof, a consumate pro. And, since I was standing directly behind you at the Edmonton game, I KNOW we saw the same solid performance from Imhof. And, I know we are not the only ones who are aware of what he brings to the team. To be clear, I know that there are some young guys pushing into the line-up, but I still think Imhof is very useful.

I agree that Imhof is a subtle player and I think most people know I'm a big fan. That being said he's only going to be a role player IMO in the next cycle. I still think Stalteri has to be in the middle of things. He and DeGuzman in the middle, lots of options on the left and then probably Hume on the right. I like Hutch for right back, but if Tam gets back in things he might be a good RB and Hutch could push forward on the right if Hume is prefered as a forward.

I don't think Imhof is much different from Grande. They're different players, with very different positives and negatives, but overall I think they're of similar quality.

I hope we mix things up. We could move guys around and go for almost wholesale changes at half. I'm really happy with this roster. Happy to see Reda finally. I disagree that Peters shouldn't be there. This is exactly the kind of game we should be looking at him for.

cheers,

matthew

About Imhof, im not saying he is useless, he is a good player. He may not be fast, or be accurate in his forward passes, and he cant score even when he has an open net (see the first honduras game), but he can win balls when the opposition is not top quality. the thing is we have a defensive midfielder who can be effective against anyone and who can come forward when needed, and his name is julian deguzman, so to me, Imhof's transitional period in our midfield is over. Even with Deguz not being called up to this game, it would be better to see someone with a real future with the team on the pitch, like bernier, hutch, or serioux. thats all i'll say about imhof.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Is anyone else concerned that the majority of our squad hasn't played a full first team game in a couple months?

Naw - it's only the two Montreal players that are rusty. Keep in mind that De Rosario, the only other NA based player has been training and trialing in Europe. All of the english guys are good, the Scandenavian (sp?) guys should be okay, and everybody else is fine.

From Sky Sports...

Canada boss Frank Yallop has named a 16-man squad for next week's friendly in Northern Ireland.

The former Ipswich Town defender has chosen a young group for next Wednesday's match in Belfast - with seven members of the squad based with British clubs.

Norwich City winger Jim Brennan (pictured) makes the list for the Windsor Park clash, as does highly-rated Tranmere Rovers striker Iain Hume.

The Millwall duo of Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux are also included, as well as the new Leicester City signing in goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld.

Ipswich Town teenager Jaime Peters and Hearts utility man Kevin McKenna are also in the side.

With Canada already eliminated from the 2006 World Cup, Yallop has decided to look to the future by leaving out some of his more experienced players to face Lawrie Sanchez's side.

Tomasz Radzinski, Jason de Vos, Paul Peschisolido, Marc Bircham and Paul Stalteri have not been named in the squad, suggesting Yallop is looking to the future with his current selection.

"This is our first international friendly since the Wales game last year and it will be good to get a quality game under our belts," Yallop said.

"The [Concacaf] Gold Cup this summer is an important event for us and this is part of the preparation process, as we gear up for the tournament."

Canada squad

Lars Hirschfeld (Leicester City), Greg Sutton (Montreal Impact); Gabriel Gervais (Montreal Impact), Josh Simpson (Millwall), Kevin McKenna (Hearts), Marco Reda (Aalborg); Atiba Hutchinson (Helsingborgs), Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town), Daniel Imhof (St Gallen), Patrice Bernier (Tromso), Mike Klukowski (Club Brugge), Adrian Serioux (Millwall), Jim Brennan (Norwich City); Dwayne de Rosario (Aarhus), Olivier Occean (Odd Grenland), Iain Hume (Tranmere Rovers)

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Naw - it's only the two Montreal players that are rusty. Keep in mind that De Rosario, the only other NA based player has been training and trialing in Europe. All of the english guys are good, the Scandenavian (sp?) guys should be okay, and everybody else is fine.

Both Sutton and Gervais should be in top shape. Sutton was in England for much of the off season, trying out here and there and Gervais was on tryout with DC United, he's an intelligent guy and I'm sure he takes care of his physical shape jealously. I think this is of absolutely no concern.

Archived