Yallop Announces Roster For N. Ireland

El Hombre

quote:Originally posted by canso

"I'm sure that rank has reached past and future..."

Was that a deliberate typo I wonder?

No, it's just I have trouble pressing two keys (especially yhe caps one on the right) at the same time.[:I]

A freudian digital slip? As Lamont Cranston once said: "Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men".:)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grande is hurt according to CP and Yallop stresses that he has spoken to the big names missing and reassured them that they aren't out of his plans. I'm sure Stally, Juli and JDV (banged up as he is) aren't losing sleep out of missing a trip to Belfast.

I like the team and agree we're missing a no. 10, but if Deguzman ever got hurt, what would we have done?

cheers,

matthew

Yallop aims for young squad for Feb. 9 friendly against Northern Ireland

By NEIL DAVIDSON

TORONTO (CP) - Bypassing such regulars as Tomasz Radzinski, Jason deVos, Julian de Guzman and Paul Stalteri, Canadian coach Frank Yallop has opted to give some less experienced players an opportunity in the Feb. 9 soccer friendly in Northern Ireland.

Yallop's 16-man roster includes nine players with seven or fewer caps. With the 2006 World Cup out of reach, the Canadian coach is thinking ahead. But while testing young talent with an eye to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, Yallop has to make sure he can still field a competitive side.

So he has sprinkled experience among the new faces, although even the veterans in this squad are young: goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld (26 with 17 caps), defender Kevin McKenna (25, 25 caps), midfielders Jim Brennan (27, 34 caps) and Daniel Imhof (27, 29 caps), and striker Dwayne DeRosario (26, 27 caps).

The roster ranges in age from midfielder Jaime Peters, 17, to defender Gabe Gervais, 28.

Yallop stresses he has not closed any doors and has taken pains to speak to players left out. Chances are they won't miss a meaningless friendly against Northern Ireland - despite a rare chance to play in Europe - although a high-profile exhibition against Portugal in March may be a more attractive fixture to take part in.

"At this point I'm trying to give some players experience," Yallop explained Monday from Vancouver.

"I want them to grow as players as well. It's no good putting out a real young team and getting hammered every week. It's more of a balanced team. The guys that are in there, I want to work closely with them and have a good look at them under real tough situations. And the (Northern) Ireland game's a tough game."

The roster includes 11 of the players who took part in Canada's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win in Guatemala on Nov. 17, when Canada had already been eliminated from contention.

More tellingly it only features four of the starters (Iain Hume, Daniel Imhof, Atiba Hutchinson and DeRosario) from the Oct. 13 game against Costa Rica when Canada was still mathematically alive. Two others (Peters and Olivier Occean) came on as substitutes that day.

"It's a chance to see players I didn't get to see closely in the World Cup qualifying round," Yallop acknowledged.

In the absence of the injured Sandro Grande (stomach strain), Yallop may play Imhof and Adrian Serioux in central midfield.

Chances are some of the veterans will be back for the Portugal friendly on March 26.

Northern Ireland is ranked No. 109, 19 places below Canada.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/01/31/916043-cp.html

Not a bad cross section of young players. I wonder at times if Yallop really knows what he is doing or is he just pretending. At least he got rid of the useless Onstad. I think this group will do well.

Interesting to see again Andy Sharpe and Morgan Quarry getting themselves a little paid trip to Europe. I always say if you have the right connections you can milk the system to death.

I also recall someone (I believe beachesl) speculating that Tam likely wouldn't be in the Northern Ireland reckoning but would likely be selected for the Europe-based camp right before the Portugal friendly. Can you confirm, sir? :D

As well, if Tam isn't on the camp or Portugal list it would be unfair to assume that Frank is necessarily the one being "obtuse". That street can run both ways and if the player remains upset about previous snubs, he may be turning down the opportunities. Eventually one or the other party will simply stop communicating.

My hope is it is an agreed-upon cooling off period or simply an agreement to let Tam continue with his club exploits for the time being. He is too young with way too much promise for him to be out of the reckoning for Canada.

Ian Kennett posted this (and thanks to him, he appears to be fairly close to Frank, and such information is a godsend) here on Jan 4:

"According to Frank Yallop, to whom I spoke recently:

1) Tam Nsaliwa has turned down the mens' national team twice now. First, he turned down an invitation for the Guatemala game. Second, he just turned down an invitation to the upcoming camp in Florida. Her cited club committments both times. Yallop will try to include him in the European camp in March, but Tam is, perhaps, wearing out his welcome.

2) Lynx striker Ali Gerba has been invited to the Florida camp this month, and has accepted. Good news."

tamthread

It was partly on the basis of this report (although I thought it might not have taken Tam's side into consideration later in the above thread) that on Thursday last week in the "Updates?" thread that I speculated that Tam would miss NI but be invited (hopefully) to the Portugal camp.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Interesting to see again Andy Sharpe and Morgan Quarry getting themselves a little paid trip to Europe. I always say if you have the right connections you can milk the system to death.

[?]

Morgan Quarry is the team manager, responsible for such details as getting the team to & from the various airports they will be arriving from, ensuring the team arrives at the hotel on time, at the practice field on time, liaising with the media, etc. He has to be on the trip, unless you expect him to do all that from a cell phone in Ottawa.

I can't say I have a problem with Sharpe being the head of delegation, either.

Six-foot-two, he's hindu . . .

And I think there's a difference between cronyism and having enough people to actually look professional and keep the players somewhat happy. I know provincial Under-18 girls hockey teams with bigger delegations than this.

cheers,

matthew

Jamie Peters is too young to be part of this team. There are others that deserve the oppportunity, having put in the time. Peters time will come, however, it should not be now.

And don't say he's looking to the future, because the future is the Gold Cup, and he doesn't belong in that tournament yet either.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

[?]

Morgan Quarry is the team manager, responsible for such details as getting the team to & from the various airports they will be arriving from, ensuring the team arrives at the hotel on time, at the practice field on time, liaising with the media, etc. He has to be on the trip, unless you expect him to do all that from a cell phone in Ottawa.

I can't say I have a problem with Sharpe being the head of delegation, either.

It is called Conflict of Interest!

A new age is dawning in Canadian soccer: The Age of Yallop and Mitchell. (Not to say these two will solve all our problems, but I DO feel we are entering exciting times. Without a good domestic league for our young players to develop, we will remain a fringe soccer country, but perhaps some good results with Frank and Dale will help this along somehow. I have no idea how, but positive results bring further positive results, in my experience.)

Frank Yallop's real tenure as head coach begins now, for me. Let's see what the dude can do with proper time and resources to build and develop a very young and decently promising team.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I also recall someone (I believe beachesl) speculating that Tam likely wouldn't be in the Northern Ireland reckoning but would likely be selected for the Europe-based camp right before the Portugal friendly. Can you confirm, sir? :D

As well, if Tam isn't on the camp or Portugal list it would be unfair to assume that Frank is necessarily the one being "obtuse". That street can run both ways and if the player remains upset about previous snubs, he may be turning down the opportunities. Eventually one or the other party will simply stop communicating.

My hope is it is an agreed-upon cooling off period or simply an agreement to let Tam continue with his club exploits for the time being. He is too young with way too much promise for him to be out of the reckoning for Canada.

I did qualify the "obtuse" part with "baring a refusal" which I meant to refer to Tam although that is admitedly unclear from my poorly constucted sentence. I do not blame Nsaliwa for either of his refusals as a meaningless (due to already being out) WCQ game and a Florida camp, in my mind at least, can come second to club commitments.

I like this selection a lot, great to see Klukowski and Reda involved and it doesn't shock me at all to see some of our top guys staying with their clubs instead of this friendly. Although I would expect to see Devos, Stalteri and Deguz at Portugal. As far Radz, I think he's pretty much done with national team now that he doesn't have any shot with the World Cup... Besides , I'd rather see us give playing time to DeRo, Occean ,and Hume to develop as strikers. So Nsaliwa turned us down for the 2nd time now, I hope we see him in Portugal and that no bridges have been burned....at lleast that means he's on Yallop's radar if he's been contacted the past two games. As far as Peters being on the club, I noticed someone was upset about it,,,,I have no problems with it at all, especially if his confidence is riding sky high after the U20 qualifying. I think without a doubt this kid has skills, and could be something special, so for him to play with Simpson, Atiba, Hume and Occean to form such a good young core at a young age isn't a bad thing. These guys will be the future for us.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I did qualify the "obtuse" part with "baring a refusal" which I meant to refer to Tam although that is admitedly unclear from my poorly constucted sentence. I do not blame Nsaliwa for either of his refusals as a meaningless (due to already being out) WCQ game and a Florida camp, in my mind at least, can come second to club commitments.

I agree and I also take heart with Brennan's inclusion in the team vs. N. Ireland. Maybe Yallop doesn't forget about someone but allows a cooling off period. Let's just hope it isn't too long a period for Tam, one of our best and brightest prospects from what little I've seen.

BTW, I suppose that Bircham's days are over. Wonder if was the QPR jersey underneath that Frank doesn't like?

I hope that Bircham, DeVos, Stalteri, deGuzman and maybe even Radzinski are added to the Portugal friendly, because I've been wondering what the team from the Belize games, minus Watson and Onstad can do against solid competition. Man I cant believe the team we had for those games and the team we went to central america with. Bah, anyways I really like this squad alot because of the excellent core of players that are all around the same age. Thats whats really impressive, these guys are our A team (add Stalteri and DeGuz for 18) and they are our future as well. We need to build up the team chemistry.

Archived