Game 2: Belize - Canada Matchthread (R)

Jarrek

quote:Is it so difficult to get decent pitches in this country?

Because Canadian Football roughs up soccer field, and most of these fields are in high use. The Ottawa Wizards field has one of the best pitches in Canada.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

So when's the draw to determine the schedule in the hex? Or has that already been done, since they announced the Edmonton game? If so, where/when do we start?

The draw for the next round has been completed. If there are no surpises, canada will be groupped with Costa Rica, Honduras, and Guatemala in the next round; the semi-final round. The top two finishers in that group move to the final round along with the top two finishers in the other two groups. That final round is known as the the Hexagonal or Hex as we call it.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Hada nice response, but of course the site went down and I lost it. I won't bother to retype it, but if you think 5,000 fans on a nice day is a good crowd then so be it. I'd say this though. Who cares if it was midweek, who cares the population of the city where the game was held or the opposition, that is an unimpressive crowd for a national team game.

Hopefully they won't hold any more games there during this WCQ.

No need to worry K-head...just heard on Global Sportsline (here in Toronto) that Canada's home games for the next round will be in Edmonton and Vancouver. Now where they got the Vancouver scoop, I don't know.

Hello everyone,

just got back from Kingston, and I must say that these past few days have been UNBELIEVABLE. Hanging out with a bunch of V's for 180 minutes is certainly one of the best sports experiences I've ever encountered. I really regret not getting tickets with the V's for last year's Gold Cup.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on this tomorrow. Have a good night.

P.S. Any word on when they might replay the matches on Sportsnet?

Not sure how many people would rush to a Canada-Guatemala game in Edmonton, that is, if the game is held there just for the sake of having the minute possibility of hosting more fans. Vancouver would sell out almost for sure- but the big CSA headache is always the fact that Vancouver dates draw big crowds from the local Central American community (just like Jamaica draws big in TO and Haiti in Montreal). I am DYING to see Canada play a meaningful match in Vancouver but also know that when the opposition comes to play Canada they should be made to feel as if they are NOT the home side or at a neutral site game. Memories of legions of El Salvador fans at Canada's last meaninful MNT game in Vancouver (in 1997) leaves me wondering. A 3/4 empty Commonwealth (as would likely be the case against Guatemala or Honduras) isn't a great answer. Neither is a pitch that dampens the strengths of our now very high-calibre and free-flowing game while playing into the hands of the other team. So the question remains-what is the alternative??

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Oh, I'm well aware of our probable competition. I mean, who do we play first, and where? If we know when the Edmonton game is, do we know the timing of the rest of the games?

we play Guatemala at home in the first game on Aug, 18. location is yet to be determined.

second game is also at home (edmonton) against Honduras on sept 4, 2004.

The third and fourth games are away games played on sept 8 ( Costa Rica) and Honduras ( around October 12).

The fifth game is back in canada against Costa Rica at a yet to be determined location and I believe it is played that same week as the fourth game.

The sixth and last game is an away game against Guatemala sometime in November

quote:Originally posted by nolando

A 3/4 empty Commonwealth (as would likely be the case against Guatemala or Honduras) isn't a great answer.

The Honduras match in Edmonton will not be 3/4 empty, as the CSA has booked a doubleheader with the women presumably playing the first game against Germany and the men playing the second game against Honduras. This pretty much ensures a large crowd for both matches.

I'll go out on a limb and predict a crowd of at least 30,000 on what should be a great day of Canadian soccer in Commonwealth. Hopefully we'll get both matches on Sportsnet, with Gerry going the distance and Helen and Craig doing the colour commentaries for their respective genders. In fact, let's have Craig do both matches :D

Funny the argument about Van City v Kingston. The west coast will get a chance to represent on Aug. 18. It's not officvial, but two sources say it's Vancouver, Edmonton and TBA. Who's going to organize the Van City stuff? I think I'm going.

I have an early flight and I need beer, so I'll post Friday.

Great seeing you boys again. There are some hilarious and fantastic photos and stories coming from tonight. I'll let the people tell their tales.

cheers,

matthew

quote:The Honduras match in Edmonton will not be 3/4 empty, as the CSA has booked a doubleheader with the women presumably playing the first game against Germany and the men playing the second game against Honduras. This pretty much ensures a large crowd for both matches.

I'll go out on a limb and predict a crowd of at least 30,000 on what should be a great day of Canadian soccer in Commonwealth. Hopefully we'll get both matches on Sportsnet, with Gerry going the distance and Helen and Craig doing the colour commentaries for their respective genders. In fact, let's have Craig do both matches :D

The problem with that is that the crowds that follow the womens game are not the same as those that follow the mens game. Are we going to hear any chants? If the followers of the womens game buy most of the tickets, will they be around for the mens game.

I'm happy about the way both games went.5 different players scored 8 goals for Canada.I'm sure that hasn't happened before in a 2 game span.After suffering so many loses in those European friendlies it was good for the team to get a chance to get their confidence back.If you count the San Jose game thats 11 goals in 3 games.Really,you can't ask for more at this point.Craig Forrest mentioned that Yallop would be happier with a 2 nil win rather than conceding a goal in a 4-1 win.

The Hume red was a negative.I think it was Forrest again,who said that the officiating in Concacaf is not what it is in England.Hume will hopefully learn from this as it's not going to get any better.I would of liked to have heard what Bircham was telling Hume.He looked like he was providing some good coaching for the kid.I'm starting to become a Bircham supporter after tonights game.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The problem with that is that the crowds that follow the womens game are not the same as those that follow the mens game. Are we going to hear any chants? If the followers of the womens game buy most of the tickets, will they be around for the mens game.

Some good questions for sure (although I doubt anyone will leave after the women's game), but one thing the women's team have in terms of support is a VERY partisan Canadian crowd anywhere they go within Canada, so at least that's a positive.

As for chants, I guess it'll be up to the Vees to lead the crowd (as they did in Kingston) in that respect, although I'm sure it'll be a tough job getting all of those soccer moms to join in on some of the chants. [8D]

On a side note, I'm seriously considering flying out to Edmonton for this one. Anyone else in the GTA thinking bout it?

quote:Originally posted by Metro

No need to worry K-head...just heard on Global Sportsline (here in Toronto) that Canada's home games for the next round will be in Edmonton and Vancouver. Now where they got the Vancouver scoop, I don't know.

Well with my luck that nutbar stalker from Charlotte that is coming out to Vancouver to confront me will probably kill me before the damn game.

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

Did anyone else notice the clock. 45 mins came and the clock kept running! Viewers can finally know how far they are into injury time. This is a big step for sportsnet!

thats awesome, i always hated how it just stoped.....never really understood why some1 decided to do it that way, but thats done with now:)

Right, my thoughts on the game from the stands:

Overall I thought the team, and I suppose understandably so, looked less hungry out there yesterday. I guess when you've got a 4-0 lead against a team that is continuing to bunker against you it's tough to summon up the same "go totally nuts on the attack" attitude they had in game 1. It was also apparent that this line-up was slightly less talented than Game 1's, and Belize was playing much better (their performance on the day at least could lead one to believe that they could tie Guatemala 3-3 as they did a couple of years ago).

However, any plaudits for the better play by Belize must be totally negated by their awful sportsmanship. They know they are going home and they dive, hack and foul Canada all game, and the chance they got when they hit the crossbar only came about when they decided to keep the ball when they were supposed to give it back to Canada as part of the fair play - the camera's didn't show this because Sportsnet was busy showing two physiotherapists from Kingston for five minutes, but Canada had the ball, for whatever reason the Ref blew the whistle on something, first gave the ball back to Canada for a throw in but then did a drop ball right at the feet of a Belize player. Every player on the field and I'd wager every fan in the stands was expecting Belize to do the sportsman-like thing and give us the ball back but instead they surprised everybody by doing two quick passes instead and nearly scored on it. Thus Belize only got one legit scoring chance in this game.

The Referee was an idiot, and call me immature, but I'm pleased that my calling him one is immortalized in sound on the game tape in the 52nd minute (this is apart from the number of times the Voyageurs could be heard in unison justifiably insulting the Ref, including the clearly audible "What the hell was that?" chant. The first yellow to Hume & the yellow to De Vos were for essentially nothing but he allows the Belize players to kick our players with late challenges the whole game. Nice to see the Ref has his priorities straight. It's okay if you try to break Hume or Atiba's legs, but if a player doesn't have his shirt tucked in, that's a yellow.

I think if Craig Forrest could have had our angle for the 2nd De Rosario goal he might have spent more time congratulating the shooter than criticizing the keeper on that one, as it was brilliant shooting on Dwayne's part. We could see perfectly that he had only the tiniest part of the net to shoot at on the short side and drilled it into that spot with power. A perfect precision goal, and one of the best Canadian goals I've seen live (though the Radzinski strike was also one of the best I've seen by a Canadian live).

Incidentally, the word in the stands was that the Belize team was apparently caught with having hookers in their hotel room, leading to some interesting chants by the end of the night. Apparently FIFA was none too pleased given that the CSA paid for those hotel rooms. It makes Ed's "Belize couldn't score in a whorehouse" comment on bigsoccer.com the other night even more funny and ironic.

Just shortly after he, Moonturk and El Hombre were nearly arrested for drinking beer, Grizzly had a chance to speak with Jonathan De Guzman before the match, and so did the Keay's - I'll let them relate what they want to in this instance since I wasn't there. Most of the gang also got a chance to chat with David Edgar after the match, who was wondering how the hell I was able to recognize him. He's seemed quite soft-spoken, nice kid and it was great to see him checking out the match. He indicated that qualifying for the next U20 tournament begins in either February or May of next year. There seemed to be another U20 player with him (as Mitchell was talking to both for quite awhile) but I didn't recognize who it was unfortunately. We wished David best of luck in qualfying and told him we couldn't wait to see him play for the nats in the future.

I think we managed to serenade every Canadian player walking to the team bus after the game and a few got their photo's taken with some of the players as I mentioned elsewhere, they'll probably post them soon I'd expect. It was nice to see so many other fans (of both genders) hanging around asking for autographs etc. Interestingly enough the Belize team were asking for autographs from the Canadian players as well, with De Guzman signing one Belizean's jersey.

I think that's about it for now. Perhaps I'll remember more later. Or perhaps not.

Guest Georgio

How did McKenna play? I didn't get to watch the match and I set my VCR incorrectly. Argh!

Was his distribution good? Was he able to control the ball well and move it to players quickly? Did he have to shut down any players? Someone mentioned his game in the air which is great but how about the rest, or was he just not even tested?

Cheers

I thought Macca was decent yesterday. Obviosly, the Belizean forwards didn't really trouble us much... ...the one moment that stood out for me about Macca was when he cleared an Onstad fumble.

I like the partnership between himself and de Vos... ...but I do wonder whether they have enough pace to cope with speedy forwards such as someone in the mode of Radz. Just a thought... ...

Also, Macca's scoring ability is causing me some debates on where his best position is... ...the Canadian team is blessed with some skillful, speedy forwards but not quite anyone who can provide consistant airial threat.

I love that "6 ft 2, eyes are blue... ..." chants from the boys. Even Macca got a laugh out of it when he heard us singing it outside the team bus!

Well here is my game day story...........

3:10 pm meet tyler @ hurontario/dundas in missisauga

3:11 DOLLARAMA........bought stremers

3:20 On our way to KINGSTON TOWN :)

?????- Stopped to eat @ WENDY'S ****ing bitch @ the counter took forever:)

6;50 arrive @ the stadium the V's looked worried for a sec but then welcomed me with a nice chant :) hehheeh

well then the game actually happend

then the post game (check out the pics)

we then chilled on th grass beside the parking lot drank a bit met a guy from Calgary ( he rolled a joint) hhehe

We then headed out thats when the FUN started. @ a RED light Seans jupms out of the car, Tyler and I are like what the **** ( were in teh car behind them) he runs up to the VOTING posters and steals the Conservative banner/thingie/ pops it out of teh ground runs 2 feet OOOPS FACE PLANT he fall rite on his face i couldnt stop loughing :) hehehe then he tries to put it inside the trunk its a no go so they cram it inside the car in the back seat. It was crazy.we stopped to eat on teh way back and saw a guy witha kool jearsy.......I forget who it was 2nd div germany..........help me out those who were there. WE then headed home no more advanters:)

All in all a great way to loose my Canadian NAtional team Virginity:)

The pass from devos on the the DD goal was also brilliant. As were DD's first and second touches. Agreed about the play acting bit, But I would point the finger strictly at that idiot, Victor Morales. I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary in terms of play acting in regards to the others on Belize. Nor did this problem standout in my mind on Sunday. Probaly because Victor Morales didn't play. The goals IMO were more memorable in this game compared to the ones I recalled from Sunday. I mentioned the DD goal, but the Rad strike was a laser as was the ball movement that led to the Brennan goal. We capitalized much more on our chances in this games as opposed to Sunday where we may have had more chances and may have controlled the play much more. But, on that day many build ups resulted in shots off the bar, over the net of missing the intened receiver in the box.

oh yeah I hope sportnet showed this. With about 4 mintes left 43 + injury we got the entire GA stand to stand up and chant and when the chant finished they actually kept standing and chhering in therii own I turned around and I was like WHOOO now that looks like a game :) the only this taht disapointed me was the players not coming over and thanking us for cheering

Archived