Game 2: Belize - Canada Matchthread (R)

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by ballboy

Also, Macca's scoring ability is causing me some debates on where his best position is... ...the Canadian team is blessed with some skillful, speedy forwards but not quite anyone who can provide consistant airial threat.

He moved forward on set pieces which is when you want an aerial threat, so if he keeps that up I think he'd be fine on D.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, El Hombre... ...I understood your point but you know, I was thinking more in the lines or an "old English style" centre forward who could knock down some of the crosses from the flanks since we have pretty good wing players (even though those are not there natural positions)... ...

quote:quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Jarrek

The keeper looks good enough to be in the A-League.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why ruin it by insulting the A-League?

I don't think this is an insult to the A-League at all. I attended both games and was quite impressed by the Belize keeper. He was the only good player on their team. He challenged well, was a great shot stopper, played the corners very well and was very athletic and confident. He may have made the odd mistake but any keeper facing 20 quality scoring chances a game will do so. In fact he was far more impressive than Onstad, an MLS starter, who only faced about 5 shots in both games but still managed to drop or give out a rebound on several routine saves not to mention his poor handling of the ball when a defender passed it back to him. Without Orio, Canada would have scored twice as many goals. In fact he impressed us Voyageurs so much that when he came to the team bus we chanted his name which I thought was a nice and classy gesture (nothing better than self-congratulation :-) and maybe made up for the number of times we chanted insults at him during the game). Maybe he played the best two games of his life but from what I saw I would easily pencil him in as an A-League starter where he would also have decent defenders in front of him.

I will post my full game impressions and information learned from players later tonight or tomorrow as I don't have time at the moment.

quote:Originally posted by ballboy

(laugh)Yup... ...the Asian dude.

I would love to come out and party with you guys again at the next Lynx game... ...hopefully, I will still be in town.

From now on you'll be the "Mohawk Dude in Kingston", I think. You're moving away or just visiting?

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

If you go to the Post Office, I believe there is a way to send it so that the reciever pays all the costs.

Nobody, not even the Post Office, does this anymore. Too much risk for the carrier, and too much work if there is a problem at the receiving end.

Finally have some time to write my account of game 2. Drove up with El Hombre (Thanks) and met up with Matthew and Gianluca at the Toucan who were in the process of leaving for the stadium. Bought some beer and headed to the stadium where Mimglow and Moonturk were making the banner and Ballboy showed up as well. Broke out the beers but after about 15 minutes security paid us a visit and said that Queens was a dry campus and if we didn't stop drinking they would get the police. Shortly after this the Keay mobile arrived and was dismayed to hear about the beer situation which led to some funny pictures of them drinking while crouched down behind their car. A short time later a car pulled up with a black family with the father wearing a DeGuzman Hannover 96 jersey. We thought it might be Julian's family so I went over and asked and they were his family. Talked to Jonathon about Feyernoord and asked him if he was going to play for Canada to which he replied he still had time to make a decision. We tried to convince him and I am sure he was persuaded by Sean's slurred speech arguments (If that didn't work maybe our, "Jonathon for Canada" chant during the game did). He seemed quite shy, probably not yet used to speaking with fans. DeGuzman's father was very friendly as was his sister. At the end the DeGuzman family had the "honour" of having their picture taken with me and the two somewhat inebriated Keays. Ran into and talked with Jonathon a second time with Ballboy as we headed to the merchandise stand. At the stand there were no Canada scarfs as they had already sold out of them at the U19 women's tournament, the jerseys were $15 more than usual and the program was $5 and was for both the U19 and the Men's game and didn't seem to be very interesting.

The crowd at the game was definitely smaller than for the first game despite how it may have looked on tv. It was however, a much better crowd and instead of acting irritated by us seemed to enjoy our chants and we actually got everyone to stand up and chant with us a few times. The cucumbers also made everyone curious. The team was not as strong as in the first game despite the similar scoreline. The absence of DeGuzman, Stalteri and Jazic definitly had an impact. We still dominated but not to the extreme as in game 1. Brennan looked like the only game 1 sub who had a strong case to be a starter. I thought Klukowski and Bernier looked strong and promising, certainly good depth, injury cover or sub players. I am not sure that McKenna is the answer at central defender but he did look better than Watson. Other than Onstad, noone looked poor but also noone other than Brennan looked like they should take a starting position from a current starter. The ref was horrendous, not biased but incompetent. Batres was far better in game 1. I think everyone was a bit disappointed that the team didn't come over to the fans after the game.

After the game we walked over to the other side to meet the players. Almost all the fans from the other side who walked by us said they loved our chants and spirit. I talked to Stalteri first and got him to sign my Werder scarf. He was pretty laid back and his rather attractive wife seemed more impressed by the year that Werder had than he did. He didn't seem to like the "We hate Hargreaves chant" nor the comment by someone that "He should take out his knees". Then I talked to Jazic for quite a while but the contents of that is on the Jazic thread. Then I talked to Julian DeGuzman about the situation with Bayer. He was very friendly and remarkably forthcoming about the situation. I asked him if he had really found out from Bild newspaper about Calmund stepping down and he confirmed this and said he talks with them daily (many Bundesliga players wouldn't give Bild the time of day but he is probably to nice to say no to them). He said he had not yet made a decision and was thinking a lot about it. The resignation of Calmund apparently is having a big effect on his decision. Possibly he felt secure transferring there because Calmund was really impressed with him and would have given him a lot of support and with Calmund gone he fears being forgotten in a big club. We started to talk about some other factors in his decision but then a bunch of girls came over and wanted his autograph. There were quite a few non-Voyageur fans asking the players for autographs and pictures so it was nice to see them being treated as stars in Canada for a change. We also did a couple of nice chants for the Belizeans when they came out after all the abuse they took from us during the game and one for Orio their keeper and best player. Apparently one of them wanted to trade his jersey for a Canadian one with one of the Voyageurs but I am not sure if anyone took him up on the offer. (How often does one have the chance to get a Belizean jersey?) Finally we met David Edgar and talked a bit about how things were going with him at Newcastle. He, like Jonathon, also seemed very shy talking to fans so I guess it probably takes a bit getting used to. Then as everyone was leaving and he was walking with his family ahead of us we sang a chant about him which seemed to embarass him a bit. Overall I probably enjoyed the second game more than the first. This was probably due to the better weather and that during the first game we had 40-50 Voyageurs making atmosphere and a dead crowd whereas in the second game we had about 20 Voyageurs making atmosphere but a crowd that was somewhat willing to participate as well so it seemed more like a real soccer game.

Maybe the name Hargreaves gave him instant constipation :-) He rolled his eyes when the chant began and my interpretation of his reaction was that he didn't like the chant very much. He probably knows Hargreaves personally at least a little bit from the Bundesliga.

ya probably a good call Ed...We may not likehim, but who's to say Diesel or any of the other Nats players dont. Persnoally i'd be looking forward ot a match against Ingerland to give hima peice of my mind with a hard slide tackle ( a legal one of course, but Roy Keane or Patrick Viera sort of legal)

Before this turns into a big debate, I wouldn't say that Stalteri's reaction was very strong or negative, it was more like he thought the chant a bit silly. McKenna's reaction to the chant would probably be more interesting since he is good friends with Hargreaves but since I was neither talking with him at the time nor did I see him I can't comment on his reaction. He may have been on the bus by this time. Regardless of one's opinion on the Hargreave's issue the anti-Hargreaves chants were pretty mild in comparison to what an English, German or other European player would hear from their fans in a similar situation.

Archived