Game 2: Belize - Canada Matchthread (R)

Jarrek

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Well, wierd game. I think offence really missed Stalteri and Jazic overlapping as Imhof rarely (never?) went forward and Klukowski much less frequently than Jazic. The team seemed even more out of sync to start the second half than they did the first. Hard to judge, clearly room for improvement...hopefully will come with more and more playing time.

That's an good point. I also think that if the field was a bit wider Canada could have been more effective over both legs. They didn't seem to have a lot of room out there

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Brocolli head got his red for being an asshole the whole game.

He reminded me of Ed the Sock.

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

"BEL" is for Belgium. "BZE" I'm not so sure. But I do know that "BIZ" is infact the offical three letter abbreviation for Belize.

"Official" according to who? The ISO (International Organization for Standardization) uses "BLZ". More importantly for our purposes here, FIFA uses "BLZ" as well.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

He reminded me of Ed the Sock.

"Official" according to who? The ISO (International Organization for Standardization) uses "BLZ". More importantly for our purposes here, FIFA uses "BLZ" as well.

I don't know. I've just got this sheet at my work (tv station) and it has the three letter codes for every country. Check out this iiaf site...they use BIZ.

http://www.iaaf.org/insideIAAF/federations/area=NAM/firstLetter=B/fedCode=BIZ/

SLAM sports says the crowd was 5,124. If that is the case thatis pathetic. Montreal and Vancouver get bigger crowds than that for A-League.

True, but it's a Wednesday night in Kingston. You and I may think it's insane to not show up at a MNT game down the block, but I'm sure there are many that just don't care.

There's one of the problems with not playing matches in a major city. And I don't buy the "it's a small town and there's nothing else to do anyway" argument anymore. Not after Sunday.

quote:SLAM sports says the crowd was 5,124. If that is the case thatis pathetic. Montreal and Vancouver get bigger crowds than that for A-League.

Ugh, you're way out there on this one. Both Montreal and Vancouver are about 20 times bigger then Kingston, who's population barely is 130,000, and like TorontoSupport mentioned, it's a mid week game. I think the crowd was quite good. And the opposition isn't anything great either, Most people would think of the game as a training session :)

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Ugh, you're way out there on this one. Both Montreal and Vancouver are about 20 times bigger then Kingston, who's population barely is 130,000, and like TorontoSupport mentioned, it's a mid week game. I think the crowd was quite good. And the opposition isn't anything great either, Most people would think of the game as a training session :)

Hada nice response, but of course the site went down and I lost it. I won't bother to retype it, but if you think 5,000 fans on a nice day is a good crowd then so be it. I'd say this though. Who cares if it was midweek, who cares the population of the city where the game was held or the opposition, that is an unimpressive crowd for a national team game.

Hopefully they won't hold any more games there during this WCQ.

My thoughts:

-Nobody else was blown away by the play of Hutch?!? This guy deserves some regular consideration to start or at least come off the bench early for us.

-McKenna was unreal in the air. He alone could have had five by my estimation. Expect tough CONCACAF opponents to have seen that and will heavily man-mark him on set pieces but still, he is a weapon that can prove a handful alongside Devos and our strikers on set pieces.

-Pesch started to look a lot more like old Pesch (not the one from the first game) running around like crazy but not finishing much. I can really see the drop in talent from Radz to Pesch.

-DeRosario was a delight out there and proved, I think (as another poster stated), that he is not meant for the wing job.

-And how about the cards? I didn't know my innocent question after Game 1 would be so prophetic. Almost certainly will be losing key guys for key games with that silly rule. And have already lost Hume for Game 1, and he is number one by far for me in that right wing spot.

-Klukowski was average and looked like a guy 5-8 on our depth list. Same for Bernier (at least at mid).

-I think it's easy to tell just how good guys like Stalteri and Jazic and De Guzman are by seeing how our team looks without them.

-Birch was irregular at best- great spirit though, and is there a more passionate foreign Canadian in the world?

-Great job by the those guys representing the Voyageurs! I was proud!

-Nice to see us scoring highlight reel goals (no matter the opposition)

-On to the next round!

quote:Hada nice response, but of course the site went down and I lost it. I won't bother to retype it, but if you think 5,000 fans on a nice day is a good crowd then so be it. I'd say this though. Who cares if it was midweek, who cares the population of the city where the game was held or the opposition, that is an unimpressive crowd for a national team game.

Hopefully they won't hold any more games there during this WCQ.

Obviously then you don't follow any of the European, Asian or African qualifying games.

- Tough Red Card for Hume. The replay clearly showed that he did not touch the opposing player, who went down like he was shot.

- Bernier was very impressive. Played first half in midfield second half on defence. He's really matured as a player and has a soft touch. Nice to see him get 90 minutes, more will come.

- DD gets a well deserved Man of the Match. Scores the brace, sets up another and draws a red card by taking abuse without reacting.

- 5000 & 8000 are great crowds for Kingston. Good job, you deserve more national team matches.

- Tough luck for Lars. He really needed some playing time, even if not much was happening.

- Canada looks to have some solid depth and will need every player for the next round.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

-Nobody else was blown away by the play of Hutch?!? This guy deserves some regular consideration to start or at least come off the bench early for us.

The play right before Brennan's goal where Hutch went right through like 5 Belizean defenders was quite impressive.

Nice try at a wind up.

Kingston got 13,500 for the two matches against Belize. How many more fans would have watched the games in Vancouver ?

Belize is hardly a big draw and I doubt Vancouver would have drawn significantly more than Kingston, perhaps less.

What does Swangard hold?

alright. good couple of games.

too bad for humey. i know the guy dove, but hopefully he learned a lesson.

someone asked where miller is? he is coaching the abbotsford rangers - some guy who coaches a team with 1 win and 6 losses 3 levels below the A-League was managing our national team....what a slap in the face.

good points about how much more talented radz, de guzman and stalteri are than everyone else. i think stalteri would be a perfect fit for manchester united. fast. quick. ULTRA FIT. better in all offensive departments and better defensifvely. i boy can dream.

Crap, Humey sent off?? Dang. I'd like a full squad to start off the qualifying.

So when's the draw to determine the schedule in the hex? Or has that already been done, since they announced the Edmonton game? If so, where/when do we start?

Thoughts. Watched this one on TV so I got a different vantage point. It was interesting to hear Forrest state that Canada looked better in the first game when he said that the passing was more crisp. I thought that that the distribution was quite good in this game. Mind you we were at field level for the first game, so I might not have gotten the best vantage point. I really cannot think of anyone having had a bad game. In fact, I thought that the finishing was much more impressive in this game even though one goal goal went in off of DeRosario's ass. Did you see Bircham's reaction to that one:D. McKenna is terrific in the air and I too thought that Bernier was strong and Atiba showed his terrific ball skills. One thing that I would like to see is more scoring chances created from attacking down the middle rather than always the flanks. This is where more playing tme together would help in that you build some better one twos to spring someone loose. However, when you consider that we have not often (historically) gotten alot quality set pieces, you quickly realize that part of the game is important.

It was very annoying to have to watch Victor Morales. I cringed at that thought of someone getting a yellow card over this guys antics but fortuntely the ref never bought any of it. Hume got screwed with that second yellow, But I still have to give kudos to Craig Forrest for stating that Hume has much to learn about playing in Concacaf with the inconsistant reffing that plagues this region. He ( Forrest)was also correct IMO that Hume reacted poorly to a situation where he had no chance of winning the ball.

Finally, I was disappointed with the quality of the pitch. With ESP-GRE on TV at the same time, Did anyone get a chance to briefly see how the ball was rolling on the pitch in that game compared to the turf in Kingston? What contrast. Is it so difficult to get decent pitches in this country?

Archived