Game 2: Belize - Canada Matchthread (R)

Jarrek

McKenna wasn't out of the dressing room by the time of the Hargreaves chant. If he did hear it he wasn't bothered by it in the slightest as he had a great big grin on his face when I spoke to him and that was after the anti-Hargreaves stuff had been shouted.

I can't really say that I noticed much of a reaction from Stalteri to that chant at all, though if there was one I suspect it was more to do with the "Break his legs" comment as I don't recall anyone chanting "We hate Hargreaves" to him at that time (though of course we as an entire group did a loud "We hate Hargreaves" chant to the cameras on game one). What I recall was somebody shouting that Stalteri was better than Hargreaves, and I didn't see any noteworthy reaction to that, but a reaction to a request for Paul to break his legs (or anybody's for that matter) with a "two-foot challenge" of the type you described would not be surprising - if it was there is wasn't very demonstrative though.

I heard the "His name is Peschi, Peschisolido. He's going to get the ball right up to De Ro" (to the tune of Copa Cabana) chant but I wish I had been able to his reaction to that, whether he was amused or couldn't care less. :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an outsider when it comes to all this Hargreaves stuff (I'm English, but regard following the national side as much less interesting/important than following my home-town team Plymouth Argyle), I'd guess that Canada's players probably find their fans' fascination with Hargreaves a bit of a turn-off. Maybe they'd prefer all the fans' chants/songs to be in support of them rather than some be about a player who has nothing to do with the Canada team. And players often don't understand fans' sense of humour! Not making any judgements here, just trying to guess what professional footballers' reactions might be in such circumstances, using my experience as a soccer journalist. And who's to say that, for instance, Stalteri or De Guzman wouldn't have emulated Hargreaves and played for Germany if they'd had the chance? I bet you some Canada players - maybe most - believe Hargreaves has made the most sensible career choices he could have done. Don't forget, for these guys the game is a career not a hobby, like it is for fans.

I agree with Jarrek that everyone is taking this a bit too seriously. It wasn't a big deal and Stalteri wasn't pissed off or anything he just rolled his eyes. The only meaning I would attach to this is that Stalteri doesn't hate Hargreaves or have any desire to take out his knees for not playing for Canada. This is not to say that he either agrees or disagrees with Hargreaves decision or likes or dislikes him. I also no longer remember if it was when the chant started or when he heard the "Break his legs" comment which in my remembrance was during or right after the chant. The reaction was not big and would have been unnoticed by anyone not talking with him at the time. Maybe I should have asked him his opinion on Hargreaves at that moment. Anyway, I don't think this is worthy of a big debate or analysis. If we chant this at a future game I don't think he will be pissed off but he is probably not going to chant it along with us.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The draw for the next round has been completed. If there are no surpises, canada will be groupped with Costa Rica, Honduras, and Guatemala in the next round; the semi-final round. The top two finishers in that group move to the final round along with the top two finishers in the other two groups. That final round is known as the the Hexagonal or Hex as we call it.

Oops, a few days later, I realize that I accidentally called the group-of-4, the "hex". I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. :)

• 11 years later...

Hey guys, blast from the past here. Can't believe this was 11 years ago. 

Anyone know where I could find the starting line-ups for both teams for both Belize matches from this two-match series? 

If there is an archive of Canada match reports, would love to know about it. 

Thanks guys,

Allez Les Rouges

Archived