Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Preliminary Round - Cavalry v Vancouver FC - April 23, 2024

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/soccer/calgary-cavalry/home-debut-cavalry-fc-round-1-canadian-championship

Cavalry midfielder Jesse Daley (leg) is questionable for the Cup contest. His status will be determined by a pre-game fitness test … Cavs midfielder Maël Henry (hamstring) and defender Callum Montgomery (foot) are out for the game against Vancouver FC.

I'm stoked about tonight. I'm  hoping VFC can grind out a result and get a coveted match vs Caps, which would be the perfect fairytale story for the league to market.

Based on last week, and in the absence of any official reports I have seen, I'd say Elliot Simmons is probably still out for VFC. I saw James Cameron in the photo set of the team traveling to Alberta so I presume he is fit enough to play if needed. I'd expect an unchanged 11 from the first two victories as no sensible manager would tinker with what is working.

https://northerntribune.ca/2024-canadian-championship-cavalry-vancouver-preview/

While Vancouver FC has had the tightest busiest schedule of any CPL side, you’ll see no complaints from Afshin: despite only having four days between his side’s earlier league matches and three days to today’s cup bout, he says his team has a clean bill of health.

“I think the team is fit enough to play every three days,” he says of the tight schedule. “We’re deep enough if necessary to start different members and have a good team on the pitch. Everyone is ready to go.”

Given Elliot Simmons had been sidelined in the start of the campaign, that means his season could potentially open against his former side.

Afshin also revealed that while the team travelled two days before away matches last year, he has adjusted the club’s travel plans for year two: Vancouver will now travel only the day before a match, with some exceptions for early afternoon games.

Sounds like like Simmo is good to go.

Interesting tidbit at the end: saving money on hotels to send a full complement of subs perhaps?

4 hours ago, chalms04 said:

https://northerntribune.ca/2024-canadian-championship-cavalry-vancouver-preview/

Sounds like like Simmo is good to go.

Interesting tidbit at the end: saving money on hotels to send a full complement of subs perhaps?

Don't know.  Maybe.  Would have to look at the numbers to see if there is a savings.  Difference in flight costs may be undoing, or even more than undoing any accommodation savings.  Or not.

I do buy into the argument that the shorter the stay away from home the better.  Not always practical but he acknowledges that.

16 minutes ago, Big_M said:

nope cameron goes to rb and gee stays on the left

Cameron is better at RB than LB, imo. An aside, apparently he was mostly a striker when playing BCSPL for North Van FC. He looks like he has added a lot of muscle in the off-season. Appropriate they call him Terminator.

Edited by nolando

7 minutes ago, nolando said:

Cameron is better at RB than LB, imo. An aside, apparently he was mostly a striker when playing BCSPL for North Van FC. He looks like he has added a lot of muscle in the off-season. Appropriate they call him Terminator.

Better that than The Abyss 😋