Match Thread: April 18, 2024 - Vancouver FC v HFX

Can't get out to this one in person,  but will likely watch live on TV. 

It's gong to be an even nicer day than the first kick on Sunday, but given it's an evening match, things should not feel any hotter. Should be a very pleasant night.

As you say, a Thursday kickoff is rare. I would imagine many of the families who were there on Sunday (like mine) will have midweek commitments (like soccer practice 😉) so it may be a test of just how well the hard-core and the casual single adults will support this year.

Looks like the weather gods continue to smile on Langley because, had it been a weekend match, it would likely have been cool and wet, at least according to the most recent forecast.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Weird that they made this game on a Thursday and neither team plays again on the weekend. 

I guess to help Wanderers save on hotel costs 

If they stayed in BC, then I imagine the hotel costs would be the same or greater but the flight costs (and time spent travelling) would be less.  Probably (?) a cost savings regardless, but certainly a better choice for rest and recovery.

Wanderers not really into this match are they?  Too long on the ball.  Sloppy with the ball.  Slow on taking up a movement, for or against.  Second week of the season or no, mental locks are happening too often all over the pitch. 

Twenty five to make amends.  Guess we're going to see if urgency sharpens the mind. 

Langley look really good. The CPL vets look like CPL vets. At 2-0 they brought on more firepower and kept attacking, which I love, swashbuckling football.

And I will reiterate my point about most of the young Canadians not likely getting a tonne of minutes this season. It will be interesting to see what they do with Cameron, White, Crawford, Campagna, Bah, etc. because I can see an indefinite unchanged starting back 4 at this rate. (Even though I have question marks about Norman and Gee against the top sides) And then there is finding time for Grady further up the pitch.

Cantave and the young  Mexican Navarro will be subs 1 and 2 most nights if this continues. And both looked electric, so it's understandable. TJ will find minutes, surely.

And Simmons and Verhoven are still to come into this matchday lineup. Not enough minutes to go around, barring a run of significant injuries. Their second best 11 could be as good as their first 11 at the start of last season. No exaggeration.

Good problems to have but issues nevertheless.