Match Thread: May 19, 2023 - Forge v Vancouver FC

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Game is at 7pm ET (4pm PT) on One Soccer and Fubo. 

First ever meeting between these 2 clubs

I sure hope Romeo's return stops a repeat of the many exposed moments on the backline that killed Vancouver vs Ottawa. Also, it will be interesting to see who replaces the two injured starters and just how effective they might be.

Just home from the match, obviously Forge had an eye on the V's Cup match in Montreal but we will see if the squad rotation was worth it, honestly don't know if a preferred 11 would have won this match! Vancouver played a solid game and though they were second best in all the stats except the score they were worthy of the point and that should boost the moral after their last match! Forge have only won 1 of 4 home CPL matches which is a bit concerning, they need to be much more clinical in the finishing department! A fun time down at THF in a rare Friday night match, the rain started right on the final whistle, it looked like a good crowd but I'm sure we will be told otherwise!😀

7 minutes ago, gator said:

Just home from the match, obviously Forge had an eye on the V's Cup match in Montreal but we will see if the squad rotation was worth it, honestly don't know if a preferred 11 would have won this match! Vancouver played a solid game and though they were second best in all the stats except the score they were worthy of the point and that should boost the moral after their last match! Forge have only won 1 of 4 home CPL matches which is a bit concerning, they need to be much more clinical in the finishing department! A fun time down at THF in a rare Friday night match, the rain started right on the final whistle, it looked like a good crowd but I'm sure we will be told otherwise!😀

4378 on the night.

That home stat is quite surprising, and even their one win vs Valour last week wasn't that impressive as I thought that was a fairly even match against a very under-manned side.

But I have no doubt they'll be where they need to be by the end of the season.

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

4378 on the night.

That home stat is quite surprising, and even their one win vs Valour last week wasn't that impressive as I thought that was a fairly even match against a very under-manned side.

But I have no doubt they'll be where they need to be by the end of the season.

They just can't finish. I didn't see the Valour game, so maybe I'm the bad luck charm, but in every other game, their shooting has been abysmal. Vancouver really did nothing offensively last night. They didn't even have moments where they looked threatening. I don't understand why Forge can't make plays in the last 25 yds. It's just brutal, they control the rest of the field and then look clueless anywhere near the box. And did Forge have a single actual cross from the wing last game? Maybe, but I can't remember it. Also, our corners are still weak. They need to hire a coach for that last quarter of the field. They've always kind of manufactured goals, never been deadly in the box, but with no threat from the wings, they look toothless. I really think they miss an Awuah or Grant type player. Morgan is the only player who sometimes gets down and whips in a cross. Maybe Bobby doesn't want to play that way, but I think it makes them pretty predictable on offence without that threat.

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

They just can't finish. I didn't see the Valour game, so maybe I'm the bad luck charm, but in every other game, their shooting has been abysmal. Vancouver really did nothing offensively last night. They didn't even have moments where they looked threatening. I don't understand why Forge can't make plays in the last 25 yds. It's just brutal, they control the rest of the field and then look clueless anywhere near the box. And did Forge have a single actual cross from the wing last game? Maybe, but I can't remember it. Also, our corners are still weak. They need to hire a coach for that last quarter of the field. They've always kind of manufactured goals, never been deadly in the box, but with no threat from the wings, they look toothless. I really think they miss an Awuah or Grant type player. Morgan is the only player who sometimes gets down and whips in a cross. Maybe Bobby doesn't want to play that way, but I think it makes them pretty predictable on offence without that threat.

We've definitely missed Awuah over the past two seasons. I'd like to think Morgan could fill that role, but we just don't see nearly as many overlapping runs with the wingers/fullbacks as we used to. It's like Bobby reinvented the system. Fully agree with the "always kind of manufactured goals" statement.