U-Sports + NCAA Canadians 2021

MM3/MM2/MM

16 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

That this is only a draft for University players is puzzling. There are some good players at the college level too. In the end teams can sign anyone they want , prime example is Max Ferrari who played for Humber College in Toronto 2019.

I’ve said this before as well. Its very stupid. 
I swear the eligibility rules are typically the same. 

Humber has had a consistent program as York within the past 5 years - sometimes even a better team.

Why isolate the other pool?

TBH I don’t even like the separation of University and College sports in Canada.

Does anyone know what the reasoning is? 

14 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

No that was a different Osorio same last name , they might be related I’m not sure .

you must be right as I looked it up and it seems this guy played for them in 2014-15

https://humberhawks.ca/sports/msoc/2014-15/players/jonathanosorio0njo

He was with TFC first team then I believe?

Edited by An Observer
grammar correction

• 1 month later...

I was thinkin about the Usport draft and how some clubs sign Usport contracts outside of the draft (KFX) and some other clubs dont sign their draftees.

I was thinking about a solution:

Instead of having a draft, why wouldn't we allow each club to have 5 Usport players in its roster. These 5 players wouldn't count in the roster limit (23 slots) but would count in the salary cap.

A club could sign Usport players for 1 or 2 seasons and each players may have a limited years of eligibility.

What do you think about it?

Edited by mtlsab

This draft will become irrevelant in a few years.

But I get your point and it would make more sense if the players were considered like the MLS version of GA.

Money matters in CPL. They can't take a punt on a player hoping he develops. 

1 hour ago, P-O said:

This draft will become irrevelant in a few years.

But I get your point and it would make more sense if the players were considered like the MLS version of GA.

Money matters in CPL. They can't take a punt on a player hoping he develops. 

THe agreement with USport is good for the players because they continue to study while they play

• 1 month later...

Question for those more in the know: was listening to a recent In Soccer We Trust and they were talking about possible plans to create a two-term season for NCAA soccer. The idea would be to have a first half,  a break for exams, then a second half in spring, leading to playoffs into April-May. They go into a fair detail on scheduling problems (playing Fridays-Sundays), conflicts with studies, how hard a short season is for player development. Some opposing positions.

Seems this was going to be debated two years ago this April, but they delayed. Not sure what the current situation is, but it does seem it is being debated.

Here's the link to the discussion, which I found interesting enough (for them, for example, Tajon is the last great player out of NCAA, and then they cite Kamal Miller and Johnston as recent notables, all Canadian examples of NCAA successes.)