Former 1812 Thread

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I have never lived in Barrie but have played a bunch of soccer in the area. I'd imagine someone actually living there would give a better response but I would think they would be focusing on the Simcoe region more than anything.

The cut-off between Barrie and York would likely be around Newmarket, which I think is as far as York has really focused anyway as I know they have some sort of relationship with Aurora which is just south of Newmarket.

The main market for Barrie would be Barrie itself with some larger towns in the area that they could draw from such as Orillia, Innisfil, Bradford. Could probably draw some from towns just outside like Alliston, and people living in cottage country towns like Bracebridge could maybe be tempted down as well. All in all I'd say the population of their area is somewhere between 300,000-400,000

Thanks.

If you wanted to move up to CPL, that would make it the smallest market so far. Greater Victoria is smaller but they seem to be drawing from as far north as Nanaimo, so within an hour north they have another 150,000. Also, you might argue that Van Isle is a clear identity, while Barrie's is not as much, you can't just argue that people will come from just anywhere. 

We know we are talking about pulling in 5000 fans consistently. Are there clear stadium options?

Also, just curious, what does junior hockey draw in Barrie (assuming it is currently the best draw in sports there)?

Edit, another thought: does cottage country mean a potential for fans in the summer? Or are families doing other things that would not include a weekend or summer evening match?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, BarrieCityFC said:

The Huronia Region has a population of about 450,000 and as stated the figure increases massively due to the influx of tourists to cottage country every summer.

Maybe so, but being a team for an entire region doesn't necessarily mean the whole region is going to get behind you as can be seen clearly with York. 

Owen Sound is part of Huronia but I can't imagine you would be getting fans consistently going to Barrie for a match. 

Regardless I am all for Barrie getting to CPL eventually. I always enjoyed playing against Barrie back in the day

On 10/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, hamiltonfan said:

Ok this is pretty impressive for a league 1 Ontario team getting a guy like this to be part of their organization. Apart from the head coach and maybe an assistant or two no one is getting paid, and even the coaches in league 1 Ontario are just probably making enough to cover their time and any gas travel expense. Therefore , just find it strange that a guy working in one of the best leagues in the world and a top 5 or 6 club in the EPL would come to a new team in a league like League 1 Ontario. It would be like a guy working as a top scout for the Boston Bruins going to work for a hockey team in the 4th division in say Denmark . There has to be more to this story just seems strange for a guy like this to go from the EPL to League 1 Ontario with all due respect. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 11:44 AM, Dicdan said:

so, they wont play l1o this season?

Doubtful. The ownership group split, with Raco, De Guzman and Barrie SC forming their own group called FC Barrie. Their twitter name interestingly changed last week from FCBarrie_L1O to just FCBarrie_ this week. (EDIT: They have since changed it back)

I'm guessing there will be no Barrie club in L1O this year. If there is one, I'd say FC Barrie is more likely, but the dropping of the twitter reference maybe makes that less likely (unless L1O told them to get rid of it)

Edited by rydermike

21 hours ago, rydermike said:

Doubtful. The ownership group split, with Raco, De Guzman and Barrie SC forming their own group called FC Barrie. Their twitter name interestingly changed last week from FCBarrie_L1O to just FCBarrie_ this week.

I'm guessing there will be no Barrie club in L1O this year. If there is one, I'd say FC Barrie is more likely, but the dropping of the twitter reference maybe makes that less likely (unless L1O told them to get rid of it)

so funny that every stuff JDG tries his luck dies. hahahahahaha pathetic

On 2/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, rydermike said:

Doubtful. The ownership group split, with Raco, De Guzman and Barrie SC forming their own group called FC Barrie. Their twitter name interestingly changed last week from FCBarrie_L1O to just FCBarrie_ this week. (EDIT: They have since changed it back)

Well looks like I was way off

Great news that Barrie's got their L1O team now! I'm not too happy about a potential 2nd team though to split the fanbase. It's already hard enough to get fans out to games in L1O, I think it would be easier if they could be united under one team. But I have no idea why the split happened or which team would be the better option for L1O. I hope it all works out for the best!

• hamiltonfan changed the title to 1812 FC Innisfil

To be honest i really cant speak to what happened as I wasnt involved.I started all of this as a supporters club being pro active in bringing a team to Barrie and we achieved that and 1812 FC Barrie has the full support of the Kempenfelt Crew supporters club of which I am very still involved with.Looking forward to finally seeing a team from Barrie in L1O.

• hamiltonfan changed the title to Former 1812 Thread