2019 Attendance

ted

Will Hamilton be able to build on hosting the league's inaugural game and the advantage of being in the most highly populated part of Canada? Will Halifax turn their lack of pro sport competition into an advantage? Will Pacific FC be able to draw from the entire Island and/or convince fans to take the 90-minute ferry from the Lower Mainland?

The poll will close on opening day. We will see how people did at the end of the season.

EDIT: Question one is league games, question two is ALL competitive games (league and cup).

Edited by ted
change the goalposts to make it interesting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its crazy because who know what?  If this CPL thing grabs hold in certain markets it could get wicked fun, wicked fast, and that sort of thing is contagious and marketable nationally.   

Unless Wanderers are complete crap on the pitch I don't think it takes too much of a stretch seeing that club doing very well and imprinting themselves into Halifax culturally almost instantly.  Venue may be just the right size to run up the numbers by aggregate, especially with a good cup run.

Forge seeming to be doing everything right and if things turn out like it's looking like they're going to turn out Young's Boys are going to get a grand launch on the 27th, nicely pad their numbers from day 1, and carry that momentum going forward.  I voted Forge.

Half decent support in the Peg and Valour draw 5,000-6,000 every match.  Decent support and you're not getting tickets unless they open up the east grandstand.  And the calendar is on their side.  A bit of effort and some good luck they have dates where they can fill the lower bowl.    

Don't know about York, Pacific or Edmonton but things are certainly starting to built themselves up around this league.  I think EFC is going to have it's best attendance numbers ever, and by a fair margin to-boot.

Here's hoping to it not raining all summer!  

Hosting the inaugural match gives Forge a fairly massive head start. I don’t know people from almost every province who are planning to take in the FCE home opener or the York home opener. The first CanPL match ever is an event unto itself, not to mention that they have a stadium size advantage. So I suspect Forge, Valour will be 1, 2.

And could someone explain to me how over a season where every team plays the same number of games, a team who has the highest avg attendance could not also have the highest total attendance (I’m assuming regular season games and not cup final, Vs Cup, or CL games).

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Hosting the inaugural match gives Forge a fairly massive head start. I don’t know people from almost every province who are planning to take in the FCE home opener or the York home opener. The first CanPL match ever is an event unto itself, not to mention that they have a stadium size advantage. So I suspect Forge, Valour will be 1, 2.

And could someone explain to me how over a season where every team plays the same number of games, a team who has the highest avg attendance could not also have the highest total attendance (I’m assuming regular season games and not cup final, Vs Cup, or CL games).

Perhaps they are meaning median attendance?

6 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

... a team who has the highest avg attendance could not also have the highest total attendance (I’m assuming regular season games and not cup final, Vs Cup, or CL games).

It's a math thing. Say Hamilton sells out the first game but dies after that. That bump skews the numbers.

I think they are likely to be the same team, but I thought I'd give math nerds something to argue as they have already started doing. ;)

34 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Well they actually say ‘average’ and ‘total’ in the poll above. 

I'm a "they" now?!?! ;)

Edited by ted

36 minutes ago, ted said:

It's a math thing. Say Hamilton sells out the first game but dies after that. That bump skews the numbers.

I think they are likely to be the same team, but I thought I'd give math nerds something to argue as they have already started doing. ;)

I'm a "they" now?!?! ;)

I'm a math nerd. A good attenance for Forge in the first game will skew both their average and their total.

There is nothing to argue about. The average for each team will simply be the total divided by 14. There is a 100% chance that the order in the two polls will be the same.

7 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

There is nothing to argue about. The average for each team will simply be the total divided by 14. There is a 100% chance that the order in the two polls will be the same.

OK fine.

Since the first question specifies league games, and the second does not, how about we pretend I meant to do that, and the second question includes all games played (including league and cup games). :)

52 minutes ago, ted said:

I'm a "they" now?!?! ;)

Chuckle. Sorry. Not sure why I used ‘they’ honestly. ?‍♂️

10 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I thought he meant total number for a single game, which I would assume would be the league opener in Hamilton.

Yeah, like anyone is going to bet against that being the biggest single-game attendance. ;)

5 hours ago, ted said:

Yeah, like anyone is going to bet against that being the biggest single-game attendance. ;)

hmmmmm I'll take that bet and say valour vs york on canada day is better attended. larger stadium + canada day = special promotions and lots of groups coming in for festivities

i think the cpl wants canada day to be a big deal and will go all out to make a canada day game the biggest possible game it can be

Edited by matty

48 minutes ago, matty said:

hmmmmm I'll take that bet and say valour vs york on canada day is better attended. larger stadium + canada day = special promotions and lots of groups coming in for festivities

i think the cpl wants canada day to be a big deal and will go all out to make a canada day game the biggest possible game it can be

I hope that CPL teams do not do "special promotions". They are an act of desperation, they cheapen your product, and undermine your season ticket holders.

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

I hope that CPL teams do not do "special promotions". They are an act of desperation, they cheapen your product, and undermine your season ticket holders.

i get where you're coming from but seeing as how many north american leagues do such things i don't think it can be avoided. the promotions i'm thinking here are more like offers for soccer and summer camps (and maybe active military) to attend the canada day games which i think would avoid the negatives you cited.

Just now, matty said:

i get where you're coming from but seeing as how many north american leagues do such things i don't think it can be avoided. the promotions i'm thinking here are more like offers for soccer and summer camps (and maybe active military) to attend the canada day games which i think would avoid the negatives you cited.

Agreed, initiatives like that are fine. Or, if you want something more general, give only your STHs the ability to buy cheap tickets (so they can "treat" somebody to a game): thay way everybody wins.

^ Yeah, once a year is fine so long as it doesn't get too nuts.  If the club can find a sponsor and split the whatever the discount is ($5 off?  Sponsor tops up the discounted ticket priced $2.50 per) then grand.  If not, don't bother.  Don't cheapen the product, and by that I mean match day tickets and sponsorship opportunities.  

If done right the Canada Day/Dominion Day match could be a real event.  Hopefully an annual event but that's getting waaaay ahead of things.  Fun to dream though.  

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

^ Yeah, once a year is fine so long as it doesn't get too nuts.  If the club can find a sponsor and split the whatever the discount is ($5 off?  Sponsor tops up the discounted ticket priced $2.50 per) then grand.  If not, don't bother.  Don't cheapen the product, and by that I mean match day tickets and sponsorship opportunities.  

If done right the Canada Day/Dominion Day match could be a real event.  Hopefully an annual event but that's getting waaaay ahead of things.  Fun to dream though.  

I don't think it's getting too far ahead. It seem fairly likely that they're going to make a push for a big Canada Day event as it's the last day of the spring season. We should know in June one would think.

13 hours ago, matty said:

I don't think it's getting too far ahead. It seem fairly likely that they're going to make a push for a big Canada Day event as it's the last day of the spring season. We should know in June one would think.

My thought is that in future years they will start earlier, and have Canada Day be the end of the Spring Season. In future years it will be a balanced schedule. They will then have the same length for the second half of the season.

That's if they don't go back to a single-table. In future years, Canada Day could just be a rivalry day.

Either way, count on Canada Day featuring heavily for CPL.

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Forge announced they are opening the upper deck at Tim Hortons field and letting  each co founder get a free upper deck ticket for each season ticket they have.  

They want to pack the house and get 23,218 people in the stands for the opening game.

Brilliant. That is EXACTLY the way to do it. Reward your loyal fans and pack the house at the same time.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Forge announced they are opening the upper deck at Tim Hortons field and letting  each co founder get a free upper deck ticket for each season ticket they have.  

They want to pack the house and get 23,218 people in the stands for the opening game.

That's cool but I'm still betting on Valour-York Canada being bigger ;)

That said I like this promotion

19 hours ago, Cheeta said:

If Valour can win a couple V-Cup games...........Valour vs TFC could be HUGE and potentially the biggest single gate.