2019 Attendance

ted

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, Winnipeg Fury said:

If Valour can win a couple V-Cup games...........Valour vs TFC could be HUGE and potentially the biggest single gate.

For the first few years of CPL, the VCup matches are likely to be the big ones. A chance for a giant killing and all that "magic of the Cup" as they say in England.

Which is one of the reasons I am disappointed that the format minimizes the possible number of these encounters. One good thing: I think Valour or HFX are more likely to win than lose against Ottawa, even though conventional wisdom will almost certainly say otherwise.

Then it would be TFC for one of us. That will be a much tougher proposition but when the underdog is up for the Cup, anything can happen!

41 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Dam shame. What’s the story behind this in Houston? Bad team, people just losing interest? 

The Texas MLS teams are usually in the bottom of MLS in terms of attendance. Made we wonder why they wanted to put a third team there...I get Austin is "different" but still...

Meanwhile good things seem to be happening in USL on crowds:

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1002951

What we should be hoping for is that all the boats in the water will rise with the apparent tide of increasing popularity for our sport across North America. My understanding on Houston is that one side faces the sun and tends to be avoided by season ticket holders, so crowds are not quite as bad as pictures like the one above imply.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

USL attendances are decent for the level of soccer - for many of these cities, other than minor league baseball, there is no other sport at a professional level.  And I think/hope Austin will avoid home games in the fall when the Univ of Texas has home football games; think it's similar in Columbus when Ohio State plays.  Unfortunately, I can't comment on Houston's attendance issues but I think MLS will do well in Austin - it could be the right sized city like Portland. 

Really no excuse for the low attendance in Houston , the stadium is right downtown, so you would imagine even getting to the stadium by public transportation should not be a problem. Unlike some of the other stadiums in the MLS like Dallas, Colorado, Chicago and Philadelphia to name a few which are out in the boonies Houston is right smacking downtown and play in their own soccer specific stadium which they just built no more than a few years ago very strange.

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

^ They are 35km apart. Not comparable.

LOL, he isn't talking about away fans numbers. He is pointing out that a professional game in a soccer-friendly country is a total of less than 5,000.

It means our league could out draw those sorts of numbers in the first year which is pretty good.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Remove the Kilmarnock fans and you have even less attendance. It shows the importance to not only rely on ticket sales. That's something we have to admit, the league has work really hard to diversify it's revenues

Let’s not compare the SPFL to the CPL at this early stage.  Cause I’ll ask whether any team in the CPL will draw 16,000 a game and pay players as much as $10,000 a week (and that’s my club).

BTW, I’m not dissing the CPL.  But St Mirren and other clubs of that size work in Scotland because of history and geography.  Hopefully, in 100 years, HFX Wanderers can be spoken of in the same way drawing 10,000 a game.

Edited by JamboAl

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Let’s not compare the SPFL to the CPL at this early stage.  Cause I’ll ask whether any team in the CPL will draw 16,000 a game and pay players as much as $10,000 a week (and that’s my club).

But that's my point. CPL clubs will spend far less than SPFL clubs which obviously benefits from a diverse stream of revenues to keep them afloat.

CPL will spend far less in salaries while already working hard at diversifying their revenues streams. That's what's really encouraging about CPL. The better they do on the business side of things (which CSB has done great so far), the the more it lessen the financial crunch of the first few seasons.

Let's not forget that prior to Mediapro and Volkswagen deals, the league already had as an objective to break even at 5-6k average attendance. Those recent deals are helping a lot to assure that this is likely to happen.

Also justifies why they've been so quiet on salary cap, that must have gave them an edge in negotiations for available talent

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

^ They are 35km apart. Not comparable.

Killie and St Mirren can easily travel by bus on the day of the game to almost all away games given most are in a geographical area comparable to the wider Toronto area. That puts a major dent into the break even crowd needed as does getting into low seven figures in revenues from various broadcasting and sponsorship deals.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Let's not forget that prior to Mediapro and Volkswagen deals, the league already had as an objective to break even at 5-6k average attendance...

It's not clear yet whether those deals provide much revenue to the member clubs. On the bright side the cap seems to be lower than what was being rumoured when 5-6k was being mentioned so it's possible crowds of that St Mirren vs Killie magnitude could sustain CanPL and I think we can be confident at least some of the teams will do that this summer on paid attendance. The key on stability is getting to 8 franchises than can do so.

47 minutes ago, Ansem said:

But that's my point. CPL clubs will spend far less than SPFL clubs which obviously benefits from a diverse stream of revenues to keep them afloat.

CPL will spend far less in salaries while already working hard at diversifying their revenues streams. That's what's really encouraging about CPL. The better they do on the business side of things (which CSB has done great so far), the the more it lessen the financial crunch of the first few seasons.

Let's not forget that prior to Mediapro and Volkswagen deals, the league already had as an objective to break even at 5-6k average attendance. Those recent deals are helping a lot to assure that this is likely to happen.

Also justifies why they've been so quiet on salary cap, that must have gave them an edge in negotiations for available talent

most of scotland spends probably a little than what the cpl is rumoured to be paying for talent. the average salary outside celtic, rangers, aberdeen, hearts and hibs is like $65k iirc and some players making $600/week. they also spend far less on travel.

also a lot of scottish clubs (including rangers, hibs) are in the red

Edited by matty

Every team with an average over 1500 is currently full-time professional in terms of their first team, while those under 1500 are all semi-pro. Ayr United turned full-time fairly recently after being part-time for many years, while Clyde, Albion Rovers, Airdrie and Stirling Albion have tried to be full-time at various points in the past but couldn't sustain it because their home supports are quite small as people in their largish towns prefer to follow the Old Firm clubs to a greater extent than is happening in comparable sized towns elsewhere. Think you could add around 2000 to the average needed to make the numbers work for the effect of greater travel costs in a CanPL context and you would probably need to add a bit more beyond that for having a shorter season with fewer games.

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

BTW, I’m not dissing the CPL.  But St Mirren and other clubs of that size work in Scotland because of history and geography.  Hopefully, in 100 years, HFX Wanderers can be spoken of in the same way drawing 10,000 a game.

Halifax should be drawing those kind of numbers in 5-10 years time if they build this right.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

Halifax should be drawing those kind of numbers in 5-10 years time if they build this right.

Agreed.  I was more speaking of history/longevity - although I would hope that HFX has more on field success than St Mirren.

Edited by JamboAl