John van 't Ship for Manager CMNT

Robert

10 hours ago, Robert said:

According to Wikipedia:

Mauro Biello became the Montreal Impact's head coach August 30, 2015, which, of course, was after the April 29, 2015 loss to Mexico City's America in the CONCACAF Champions League final

Biello coached 1 match against Alajuelense after  Klopas did this against Pachuca.  I know I said 1 match for a reason, because it was that 1 match.

NextNiceCony-size_restricted.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Biello coached 1 match against Alajuelense after  Klopas did this against Pachuca.  I know I said 1 match for a reason, because it was that 1 match.

NextNiceCony-size_restricted.gif

Well, I guess if you really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel Blackdude, then we can give Biello credit as an assistant-coach, who ran the bench for a coach serving a one game suspension, which is how the Montreal Impact website sums it up:

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2015/03/18/match-report-impact-tops-alajuelense-2-0-champions-league-first-leg

“This was the result we were looking for as we managed to score two and concede none,” explained assistant coach Mauro Biello, who ran the bench for IMFC as head coach Frank Klopas was serving a one game suspension following his ejection in the decisive game against Pachuca back on March 3. “The players followed the game plan and we were tight defensively, giving away few scoring chances. We are very pleased with the result.”

On 1/25/2018 at 6:05 PM, Robert said:

While we are on this tangent, does anyone know if there has been a Canadian-born manager of a club that has played at least one match in any of the following competitions:

1) AFC Champions League

2) CAF Champions League

3) CONCACAF Champions League

4) CONMEBOL Copa Liberadores

5) CONMEBOL Copa Sudamericana

6) OFC Champions League

7) UEFA Champions League

8) UEFA Europa League

In my original post, I asked if there is  a Canadian-born manager of a club that has competed in one of the above competitions. Thus far, the replies have added up to:

1) Nick Dasovic (born in Vancouver), who was an assistant/interim manager for Toronto FC in 2010 for the 2 matches against the Puerto Rico Islanders. (0-1 and 0-0)

2) Mauro Biello (born in Montreal), who was an assistant coach, who ran the Montreal Impact bench for a coach who was suspended for one game against L.D. Alajuelense. (2-0)

In other words,  a Canadian-born manager of a club that has competed in one of the above competitions can not even be considered a "rare breed" because to date there has not been a single sighting of one.

4 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Dasovic was part of St. Johnstone’s UEFA cup team in 1999-2000. UEFA cup of course is now the Europa League. The team didn’t go far, but I think Nick played  at least a few games. 

Robert is asking about managing, not playing. We could list lots of players that have played in those competitions. For example Hutchinson is playing in the UEFA Champions League this campaign, and of course lots of Canadians have played in the CONCACAF Champions League.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Robert is asking about managing, not playing. We could list lots of players that have played in those competitions. For example Hutchinson is playing in the UEFA Champions League this campaign, and of course lots of Canadians have played in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Ok  thanks, I misread his initial question. I noted Dasovic over the many others because of the wording involving “manager”. 

4 hours ago, Robert said:

1) Nick Dasovic (born in Vancouver), who was an assistant/interim manager for Toronto FC in 2010 for the 2 matches against the Puerto Rico Islanders. (0-1 and 0-0)

Actually, you're mistaken there. Dasovic took over as interim manager in September 2010, and he managed 4 CONCACAF Champions League Group Stage matches:

The games against the Puerto Rico Islanders you're referring to were in 2009 (at the start of the 2009-10 CCL season) when Chris Cummins was managing the team.

An Eredivisie update: PEC Zwolle lost 1-2 at home yesterday to Vitesse. The composed look of concern on John van 't Ship face reflects the importance of this match. A blunder by the goalie on a long free-kick proved to be the difference.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Why is this topic even relevant at this time?

We keep track of Canadian-born players, who ply their trade abroad in foreign leagues, dont we? So why not do the same with Canadian-born managers? If this thread is not relevant to you personally, then may I suggest checking out one of a whole slew of other threads on this CMNT forum that you might find of more relevant interest to you.:) 

2 hours ago, Robert said:

We keep track of Canadian-born players, who ply their trade abroad in foreign leagues, dont we? So why not do the same with Canadian-born managers? If this thread is not relevant to you personally, then may I suggest checking out one of a whole slew of other threads on this CMNT forum that you might find of more relevant interest to you.:) 

We track Canadian eligible players not just Canadian born.

2 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I love this thread. Seems like we scout players for the CSA all the time, so why not scout the managers too!

Agreed. I believe we should leave no stone unturned when it comes to trying to improve any aspect of the CMNT.

The reason being we just got a new coach and we already are talking about who could replace him? That's all I was trying to say.

13 hours ago, Robert said:

11 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

I love this thread. Seems like we scout players for the CSA all the time, so why not scout the managers too!

Might be better turned into a Canadian Managers thread then. Although John van't Ship probably deserves his own thread its not hugely relevant at this time in respect to the Canadian job. Maybe just change the title to John van't Ship.

I agree with MtlMario keeping tabs on Canadian managers is fantastic and one thing, a big advocacy promo thread to try and get him hired when we just hired a new Canadian coach isn't. 

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

The reason being we just got a new coach and we already are talking about who could replace him? That's all I was trying to say.

Point taken, and my apologies if my reply came off a bit harsh. It is not my intention to start a anti-Herdman thread. I met him once when few players of the CWNT were having a conditioning practice at Andy Livingstone Park, in Vancouver before the London Olympics. I remember asking him what colour medal he was expecting to win. His reply was Gold. He seemed like a very nice man to man.

Of course, I wish John all the best in guiding our CMNT, as I would any manager appointed to that post. However, given John's very limited experience, I am not overly confident that he will be around for a long time. I guess we will have to wait until John puts a team on the field for a match like a World Cup qualifier at the Estadio Azteca, or in San Pedro Sula, to see whether I'm wrong or right.

My reason for starting a John van 't Ship thread is, that should things start to go south with the CMNT in the near future, why not be prepared to deal with that scenario before hand? The CSA, in the past, has always allowed their managers of the CMNT to finish the World Cup qualifying campaigns that they were hired for. Not once, has the CSA fired a manager of the CMNT midway through a World Cup qualifying campaign when the results are obviously starting to go in the wrong direction. The CSA also has the bad habit of waiting and wasting valuable time after firing a manager, before hiring the next manager. I guess that the CSA must think that a money-saving tactic by having an interim manager for a year, or so, is more important than operating the CMNT on a full-time basis. This method employed by the CSA also makes the pool of managers to hire from much smaller, as by that time other national associations have started to replaced their fired managers.

Anyhow, I hope there's no hard feelings.:) 

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

My reason for starting a John van 't Ship thread is, that should things start to go south with the CMNT in the near future, why not be prepared to deal with that scenario before hand?  

I just assumed you were starting it to take the piss and have a laugh. :)

On 1/29/2018 at 1:45 PM, Zem said:

Actually, you're mistaken there. Dasovic took over as interim manager in September 2010, and he managed 4 CONCACAF Champions League Group Stage matches:

The games against the Puerto Rico Islanders you're referring to were in 2009 (at the start of the 2009-10 CCL season) when Chris Cummins was managing the team.

Once again, when wrong, I need to promptly admit it. Thanks for the research Zem, which is confirmed by the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC

Head coaches

As of October 31, 2017
Coach Nation Tenure Record1
G W L T Win %
Mo Johnston 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland August 22, 2006 – February 1, 2008 30 6 17 7 20.00
John Carver 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England February 1, 2008 – April 25, 2009 36 11 15 10 30.56
Chris Cummins (interim) 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England April 29, 2009 – October 24, 2009 31 12 11 8 38.71
Preki 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States November 19, 2009 – September 14, 2010 32 11 11 10 34.38
Nick Dasovic (interim) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada September 14, 2010 – January 6, 2011 10 3 4 3 30.00
Aron Winter 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands January 6, 2011 – June 7, 2012 64 18 25 21 28.13
Paul Mariner 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England June 7, 2012 – January 7, 2013 28 6 14 8 21.43
Ryan Nelsen 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand January 7, 2013 – August 31, 2014 64 17 29 18 26.56
Greg Vanney 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States August 31, 2014–present 130 61 40 29 46.92

Thus, the updated list would read as follows:

1) Nick Dasovic (born in Vancouver), who was an assistant/interim manager for Toronto FC in 2010 for the 4 matches; 2 matches against Real Salt Lake (1-4 and 1-1), 1 match against Cruz Azul (0-0), and 1 match against Arabe Unido (1-0).

MP - 4; W - 1; D - 2; L - 1; P - 5, GF - 3; GA - 5. 

2) Mauro Biello (born in Montreal), who was an assistant coach, who ran the Montreal Impact bench for a coach who was suspended for one game against L.D. Alajuelense (2-0).

MP - 1; W - 1; D - 0; L - 0; P - 3, GF - 2; GA - 0.

19 hours ago, Robert said:

Point taken, and my apologies if my reply came off a bit harsh. It is not my intention to start a anti-Herdman thread. I met him once when few players of the CWNT were having a conditioning practice at Andy Livingstone Park, in Vancouver before the London Olympics. I remember asking him what colour medal he was expecting to win. His reply was Gold. He seemed like a very nice man to man.

Of course, I wish John all the best in guiding our CMNT, as I would any manager appointed to that post. However, given John's very limited experience, I am not overly confident that he will be around for a long time. I guess we will have to wait until John puts a team on the field for a match like a World Cup qualifier at the Estadio Azteca, or in San Pedro Sula, to see whether I'm wrong or right.

My reason for starting a John van 't Ship thread is, that should things start to go south with the CMNT in the near future, why not be prepared to deal with that scenario before hand? The CSA, in the past, has always allowed their managers of the CMNT to finish the World Cup qualifying campaigns that they were hired for. Not once, has the CSA fired a manager of the CMNT midway through a World Cup qualifying campaign when the results are obviously starting to go in the wrong direction. The CSA also has the bad habit of waiting and wasting valuable time after firing a manager, before hiring the next manager. I guess that the CSA must think that a money-saving tactic by having an interim manager for a year, or so, is more important than operating the CMNT on a full-time basis. This method employed by the CSA also makes the pool of managers to hire from much smaller, as by that time other national associations have started to replaced their fired managers.

Anyhow, I hope there's no hard feelings.:) 

No problemo :):)

Another tough day for John van 't Ship, as PEC Zwolle got knocked out of the Dutch FA Cup in the quarter finals by AZ. Goal-keeper Diederik Boer got red-carded in the 54 minute when PEC was down 2-1. Things don't get any easier for PEC and van 't Ship on Saturday, when the club from Zwolle will travel to Eindhoven to play league-leaders PSV. It will be interesting to see if John can restore the shaken confidence of his young players, who will now need to finish in the top seven places of the Eredivisie standings to make the play-offs, for a place in Europe next year. The good news is that PEC has a 9-point lead over Heereveen and ADO who are currently tied on points for 8th place with 14 matches left to play. Also, Feijenoord and AZ are both still alive in the Dutch FA Cup, which means if one of those clubs win that competition, then PEC can make the play-offs if they finish in the top 8 of the Eredivisie. 

Summary of today's match:

AZ - PEC Zwolle 4-1 (2-1).  
Toeschouwers:  
Scheidsrechter:  Nijhuis 
Rode kaart:  54. Boer (PEC Zwolle) 
Gele kaart:  Mokhtar (PEC Zwolle)

Opstellingen:  
AZ: Bizot, Svensson, Wuytens, Hatzidiakos, Ouwejan, Midtsjo, Til (75. Van Overeem), Koopmeiners, Jahanbakhsh (75. Mihalik), Weghorst, Idrissi (69. Seuntjens)  

PEC Zwolle: Boer, Ehizibue, Marcellis, Sandler, Freire, Dekker, Bakker, Namli (72. Nijland), Marinus, Mokhtar (78. Israelsson), Ondaan (56. Van der Hart)

Scoreverloop: 
21. Weghorst 1-0 
33. Marinus 1-1 
39. Til 2-1 
60. Idrissi 3-1 
71. Wehorst 4-1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:29 AM, toontownman said:

Should also adds scouring the earth to see if we can uncover managers/coaches out there, like the players threads, not only helps the National set up but potentially the CPL who will be looking for Canadian staff. 

Great point. I find it interesting that the 4 top men's managerial soccer positions in Canada are all filled by foreigners. The CSA "A License," which requires substantial time and financial investments, just doesn't seem to offer many opportunities for Canadian-born managers/coaches even within Canada.

1) Canadian Men's National Team - John Herdman, born in Consett, U.K.

2) Toronto FC - Greg Vanney, born in South Boston, U.S.A.

3) Vancouver Whitecaps - Carl Robinson, born in Llandrindod, U.K.

4) Montreal Impact - Remi Garde, born in L'Abresle, France

John van 't Ship will have an opportunity to show his mettle tomorrow, as he will try to get a result without five of his regular starters.

After suffering a second successive loss in a mid-week duel against AZ, in which PEC was eliminated from the KNVB Cup competition, the visiting club from Zwolle will play the league-leaders PSV without starting keeper Diederik Boer, suspended for the red-card he picked up against AZ. Bram van Polen, Ryan Thomas, leading scorer Mustafa Saymak, and Ruben Ligeon have all been ruled out due to injuries.

https://eredivisie.nl/nl-nl/nieuwsbericht/pec-zwolle-gehavend-op-bezoek-bij-koploper-psv

Archived